Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vladimir Putin Will Seek Another 6 Years in Power
Stories 1 - 20 |
Why Don't We Talk About
Carpal Tunnel Anymore?
Nov 12, 2023 3:30 PM CST
Why Don't We Talk About Carpal Tunnel Anymore?
The Atlantic takes a look at a white collar epidemic that fizzled out
- If you are reading this from a standing desk while wearing blue light glasses, chances are you've heard of the dangers associated with spending long stretches of time on devices. Whether or not you heed those warnings, there was a time when you couldn't escape think pieces examining...
Nov 10, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Report: At Musk's SpaceX, Hundreds of Hidden Injuries
Reuters details amputations, crushed limbs, even a death in rush to send humans to Mars
- Elon Musk has long been eager to get humans to Mars ASAP—maybe too eager, according to a new Reuters' documentation of injuries at SpaceX facilities over the past decade. The news agency conducted interviews and sifted through government files to reveal how many SpaceX workplace injuries, all previously unreported,...
More Americans Testing
Positive for Pot at Work
May 18, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
More Americans Testing Positive for Pot at Work
Quest Diagnostics survey puts the figure at 4.3%
- More Americans than ever have access to legal marijuana, and they're apparently using it more on the job. An annual analysis by the medical lab Quest Diagnostics finds that 4.3% of US workers tested positive for marijuana last year, the highest figure since the company began tracking it...
US Steps Up Dollar General's
Workplace Safety Punishment
Mar 29, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
US Steps Up Dollar General's Workplace Safety Punishment
OSHA puts 'severe violator' label on chain, which allows random inspections
- Inspectors have found 111 workplace safety violations in visits to more than 270 Dollar General stores since January 2017. In that time, the company has been fined more than $15.5 million by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. That record has landed the retailer in the agency's Severe...
Workplace Discovery Solves
Missing Man's Disappearance
Jul 10, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Workplace Discovery Solves Missing Man's Disappearance
Alex Gordon fell into industrial shredder at South Carolina plant weeks ago
- A 20-year-old employee at a recycling plant in South Carolina seemed to vanish without a trace in May. Now, the coroner in Spartanburg County has solved the mystery: Alex Gordon fell into a giant plastic shredder at the Industrial Recycling and Recovery plant in Greer, reports the
. The revelation...
Oct 20, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Star Accuses Show of Misconduct
Warner Bros. TV argues Ruby Rose was the problem
- The original star of TV's
accused the show's network and studio on Wednesday of running an abusive and dangerous workplace that drove her from the program. Ruby Rose listed a series of injuries and accusations,
reports, which Warner Bros. TV argued in a statement later...
Every McDonald's in This
Nation Shuttered for 2 Days
Dec 18, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Every McDonald's in This Nation Shuttered for 2 Days
After 2 teen employees were electrocuted in Lima, Peru
- Every McDonald's in Peru shut down for two days this week to mourn two teen workers who died while working a night shift over the weekend. The bodies of 18-year-old Gabriel Campos Zapata and Alexandra Porras Inga, 19, were found by emergency workers in the Lima restaurant Sunday morning....
Why One State 'Scuttled'
Worker's Horrible Death
Nov 30, 2019 12:15 PM CST
Why One State 'Scuttled' Worker's Horrible Death
Phillip Lee Terry died in Indiana in 2017
- Phillip Lee Terry's death was needless and gruesome. Now Indiana officials are accused of crippling a probe into the tragedy while trying to get Amazon to open its second headquarters in the state, Vice reports. John Stallone, a former state safety inspector, is the whistleblower who triggered the story....
He Had Sex on
a Business Trip
and Died. His
Employer Is Liable
in case you missed it
Sep 14, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
He Had Sex on a Business Trip and Died. His Employer Is Liable
Paris court rules cardiac arrest during adulterous interlude was a workplace accident
- An employee for a French railway company went into cardiac arrest and died during an adulterous sexual encounter with a "perfect stranger" while on an out-of-town assignment for work, and a Paris court recently deemed it a workplace accident and is holding the employer liable. Quartz reports on the...
A Noise From Meat Grinder,
Then a Horrifying Scene
Apr 24, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
A Noise From Meat Grinder, Then a Horrifying Scene
Worker killed Monday in Pennsylvania meat-processing facility
- "This was a horrible accident" seems an understatement considering how a plant worker died Monday in Pennsylvania. Lycoming County Coroner Charles E. Kiessling Jr. said 35-year-old Jill Greninger fell or was pulled to her death inside a large commercial meat grinder she was operating at Economy Locker Storage Co....
Bear Spray Incident Sends
Amazon Workers to Hospital
Dec 5, 2018 2:50 PM CST
Bear Spray Incident Sends Amazon Workers to Hospital
9-ounce bottle of spray was accidentally punctured
- Amazon sells everything, including bear spray, a fact that made for a pretty rough workday for some employees at an Amazon fulfillment center in Robbinsville, NJ. ABC News reports bear repellent spray was accidentally released on the third floor of the 1.3 million-square foot facility, sending 24 workers to...
Dying on the Job
at a Higher Rate
Aug 2, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Older Workers Dying on the Job at a Higher Rate
35% of fatal accidents involved a worker over 55
- Older people are dying on the job at a higher rate than workers overall, even as the rate of workplace fatalities decreases, according to an AP analysis of federal statistics. It's a trend that's particularly alarming as baby boomers reject the traditional retirement age of 65 and keep...
Firm Cited for 23 Violations
After Robot Kills Bride-to-Be
Dec 15, 2016 3:38 AM CST
Firm Cited for 23 Violations After Robot Kills Bride-to-Be
Auto parts plant cut safety corners to meet high targets: OSHA
- Federal authorities have announced nearly two dozen safety violations issued to an auto parts manufacturer after a bride-to-be who worked at its Alabama plant was crushed to death by a robotic machine. The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Wednesday announced 23 violations after investigating the death at the...
in Molasses Vat at Work
Aug 5, 2016 8:16 AM CDT
Soon-to-Be-Dad Dies in Molasses Vat at Work
Robert Herweyer had just married and was expecting his first child
- Robert Herweyer had much to look forward to. The 23-year-old had married in November, just moved into a new home with wife Joy, and was expecting his first child with her any day now. But a tragic accident cut all that short when the Michigan man died in a molasses...
in case you missed it
May 15, 2016 6:49 AM CDT
US Poultry Workers Wear Diapers: Report
Denial of bathroom breaks a serious safety issue, affront to human dignity: Oxfam
- On the Pilgrim's Pride website , "prioritize the team over yourself" is one of the poultry producer's core values. But in something out of Upton Sinclair's
, Bloomberg notes, an Oxfam America report suggests that "value" is really a humiliating issue for already marginalized workers...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 7, 2016 9:36 AM CST
Worker Dies in Bakery's Huge Mixer
Police say she may have gotten caught on machine
- A Utah grocery store worker is dead after what appears to be a gruesome workplace accident. Carmen "Jackie" Lindhardt, 45, was working at the bakery of a Ream's Food Store in Sandy, outside Salt Lake City, around 10am Wednesday when police say she was dragged into an industrial-sized...
Teen Dies in Wood Chipper
on First Day at Work
Dec 11, 2015 2:19 AM CST
Teen Dies in Wood Chipper on First Day at Work
His boss had a heart attack at the scene
- A North Carolina teenager died one of the most horrific workplace deaths imaginable on his first day on the job. Mason Cox, 19, died on Saturday after being pulled feet-first into a wood chipper, police in Kings Mountain say. WSOC reports that co-workers who had been cutting down trees in...
Forced to Pay
$6M for Worker
Aug 13, 2015 12:19 AM CDT
Bumble Bee Forced to Pay $6M for Worker Cooked Alive
Worker Jose Melena died a horrific death
- Bumble Bee Foods will fork out $6 million for the horrific death of an employee cooked alive in 12,000 pounds of tuna fish, NBC News reports. Announced Wednesday by prosecutors, the plea agreement is California's biggest ever for a workplace safety violation. It consists of $3 million to...
Tuna Plant Charged After Worker Cooked to Death
Apr 28, 2015 12:18 AM CDT
Tuna Plant Charged After Worker Cooked to Death
Colleagues at Calif. plant turned on oven while Jose Melena was inside
- Felony charges have been filed more than two years after the horrific death of a worker at a California tuna plant. Bumble Bee Foods and two of its employees have been charged with willfully violating safety rules in the death of 62-year-old Jose Melena, who was cooked to death inside...
Workers: McDonald's Told
Us to Put Mustard on Burns
Mar 17, 2015 6:00 AM CDT
Workers: McDonald's Told Us to Put Mustard on Burns
Condiments replaced first-aid kits, safety complaints say
- Instead of being offered burn cream, McDonald's workers who suffered severe burns on the job were asked if they wanted mustard or ketchup on that, according to recently filed safety complaints. In some of the 28 safety complaints filed in 19 states over the last couple of weeks with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.