Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grand Slam Record
Jun 11, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Djokovic Sets Grand Slam Record
French Open victory breaks career tie with Rafael Nadal
- Novak Djokovic made clear for years that this was his goal. The biggest titles from his sport’s biggest stages were Djokovic’s main aim all along, and now he finally stands alone—ahead of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and every other man who has ever swung a racket. If...
World No. 1 Rebounds to
Take French Open
Jun 10, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
World No. 1 Rebounds to Take French Open
Unseeded Karolina Muchova pushes Iga Swiatek to third set in final
- Iga Swiatek suddenly seemed lost in the French Open final. Her strokes were awry. Her confidence was gone. Her big early lead had vanished. She kept looking up into the stands, seeking guidance from her coach and her sports psychologist. So much was amiss right up until she was two...
Accidental Pelting of Ball Girl
Costs Player $23K
Jun 6, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Accidental Pelting of Ball Girl Costs Player $23K
Miyu Kato also got her doubles team disqualified at French Open
- A pro tennis player's errant swat of a ball continues to cost her. Japan's Miyu Kato must forfeit all of the approximately $23,000 she earned in the French Open because she accidentally hit a ball girl in the neck with a ball, reports the AP . Kato and...
Refusal to Shake Hands
Riles French Open Fans
May 28, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Refusal to Shake Hands Riles French Open Fans
Kostyuk of Ukraine has decided to skip pleasantries with players from Russia or Belarus
- Unable to sleep the night before her first-round match at the French Open against Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus, the Grand Slam tournament's No. 2 seed, Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine checked her phone at 5am. At least one person was killed when the capital of Kostyuk's country was subjected...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
for 14th Time
Jun 5, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Nadal Takes French Open for 14th Time
36-year-old who first won tournament at 19 becomes its oldest champion
- Rafael Nadal long has been considered a bad bet to be winning a Grand Slam title at age 36. A Bleacher Report piece predicted that, with his body apparently breaking down quickly, he'd won his last—in 2012. He once hurt his knee while sitting in a hotel room...
Jun 4, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Gauff Can't Stop Swiatek's Unbeaten Run
World No. 1 takes French Open title, her 6th straight tournament victory
- Coco Gauff came into the women's singles final at the French Open on Saturday having not lost a set during the tournament. But Iga Swiatek hadn't lost in her last 34 matches. It's now 35, after the world No. 1 defeated Gauff 6-1, 6-3 for her second...
French Open Semis
Don't Follow Script
Jun 3, 2022 5:02 PM CDT
French Open Semis Don't Follow Script
Climate change demonstrator breaches court during men's match, and Nadal's opponent has to retire
- A climate activist wearing a T-shirt with the message "We have 1028 days left" interrupted the French Open men's semifinal Friday between Marin Cilic and Casper Ruud by attaching herself to the net and kneeling on the court. Play was delayed for more than 10 minutes with Ruud...
France's Rule Change Is
Good News for Djokovic
Mar 4, 2022 12:20 PM CST
France's Rule Change Is Good News for Djokovic
Unvaxxed tennis star should be able to defend his French Open title in May
- It looks like Novak Djokovic will be to able to play in the French Open after all. The tennis star, who missed out on the Australian Open because he is unvaccinated against COVID-19, has said he would give up more opportunities to match Rafael Nadal's record 21 Grand Slam...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
Weary Djokovic Takes French
After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Jun 13, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Weary Djokovic Takes French After Falling 2 Sets Behind
Serbian star is a single major title away from tying Nadal and Federer
- Novak Djokovic was not about to concede a thing after dropping the first two sets of the French Open final against his younger, fresher foe, Stefanos Tsitsipas. Djokovic looked diminished and depleted at the outset Sunday. By the end, he was at his imperious best. The top-seeded Djokovic came all...
Late Coach's Words
in Mind While
Jun 12, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
Krejcikova Keeps Late Coach's Words in Mind While Winning French
New champion was unseeded in the tournament
- Thinking of her late coach the whole time, Barbora Krejcikova went from unseeded to Grand Slam champion at the French Open. Krejcikova beat 31st-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros on Saturday to win the title in just her fifth major tournament as a singles...
Arrested at French Open
Jun 4, 2021 10:53 AM CDT
Russian Player Arrested at French Open
Yana Sizikova accused of match-fixing at last year's tournament
- The French Open has moved from one controversy to another with a Russian player now accused of match-fixing. Thursday got progressively worse for Yana Sizikova, who lost her opening round doubles match with fellow Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova in Paris, then was arrested and had her hotel room searched, French newspaper...
After Osaka's Surprise
Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Jun 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
After Osaka's Surprise Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, others rally to support tennis star's mental health
- Naomi Osaka's decision to withdraw from the French Open rather than face mandatory media interviews has become one of the most talked-about stories in sports, with folks speaking out on behalf of the world's second-ranked women's tennis player, who admitted to battling depression and social anxiety, and...
Osaka Quits French Open
Rather Than Do Interviews
May 31, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Osaka Quits French Open Rather Than Do Interviews
World No. 2 says she'll step away from tennis for a while
- A day after being fined $15,000 for refusing to do interviews, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open. The tennis star, ranked second in the world, made the announcement Monday in a long Twitter post, NBC reports. "The best thing for the tournament, the other players and...
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion
Over Media Stance
May 30, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Tennis Star Faces Expulsion Over Media Stance
Naomi Osaka refuses interviews after French Open matches, is fined
- Naomi Osaka kept her word, and now she’s being fined. Osaka, ranked No. 2 in tennis worldwide, recently announced she wouldn’t speak to the media after matches, and French Open officials have now attached a $15,000 price tag to that. Since she’s the highest paid...
World No. 2 Says She Won't
Speak to French Open Press
May 28, 2021 5:54 AM CDT
World No. 2 Says She Won't Speak to French Open Press
'People have no regard for athletes' mental health,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka says she will not be taking part in mandatory press appearances during the French Open—and if she is fined, she hopes the proceeds go to a mental health charity. The Japanese tennis star, currently ranked the World No. 2, tweeted Thursday that she has often felt "...
on French Clay
Oct 11, 2020 11:26 AM CDT
Nadal Ties Record With Stunning Win on French Clay
The Spaniard crushes Novak Djokovic in straight sets
- Rafael Nadal tied Roger Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles by producing a nearly perfect performance against Novak Djokovic in the French Open final, the AP reports. Nadal equaled long-time rival Federer for the most major singles tennis championships won by a man and added to his own record at...
'It's Crazy': History Is
Made at the French Open
Oct 10, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
'It's Crazy': History Is Made at the French Open
Iga Swiatek is the first Polish player to win a Grand Slam singles trophy
- With the poise of a veteran and the shots of a champion, 19-year-old Iga Swiatek picked the perfect place for her first tour-level title: the French Open, the AP reports. Unseeded and ranked merely 54th, Swiatek grabbed the last six games to beat Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1 in the final...
For the 12th Time, Nadal
Lifts the French Open Trophy
Jun 9, 2019 12:04 PM CDT
For the 12th Time, Nadal Lifts the French Open Trophy
Champion dropped a set but recovered
- Rafael Nadal pulled away in what had suddenly become a tight final to beat Dominic Thiem 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, on Sunday for his record-extending 12th French Open championship. It raises Nadal's Grand Slam title count to 18; Roger Federer has 20. Thiem made it seem as if this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.