Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
3 Rackets in
US Open Exit
Sep 7, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Kyrgios Smashes 3 Rackets in US Open Exit
Australian tennis player, already handed tournament's biggest fine ever, is 'devastated'
- Nick Kyrgios disappointed himself and his fans early Wednesday, losing to Russia's Karen Khachanov in five sets in the US Open quarterfinals, but not those who'd come out for his antics. Having missed out on his best chance yet at a Grand Slam title, the Australian tennis player...
After Loss at US Open, an
Emotional Tribute From Serena
Sep 3, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
After Loss at US Open, an Emotional Tribute From Serena
'"I wouldn't be Serena if there wasn't Venus,' tennis legend said to crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium
- Leave it to Serena Williams to not want to go quietly, to not want this match, this trip to the US Open, this transcendent career of hers, to really, truly end. Right down to what were, barring a change of heart, the final minutes of her quarter century of excellence...
Aug 9, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
Serena Williams 'Evolving Away From Tennis'
Tennis great is sounding like she's retiring, looking to focus on her family and business ventures
- Serena Williams says she's ready to step away from tennis after winning 23 Grand Slam titles, turning her focus to her business interests and having another child, reports the AP . "I'm turning 41 ... and something's got to give," Williams wrote in an essay released Tuesday...
After Losing to
Djokovic, a 'Final
Act of Defiance'
Jul 11, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
After Losing to Djokovic, a 'Final Act of Defiance' From Kyrgios
Aussie wears red cap to trophy ceremony, breaching strict all-white dress code
- Nick Kyrgios gave the crowd quite a show during the men's singles final Sunday at Wimbledon. The show wasn't over, however, after the 27-year-old Aussie lost to Serbia's Novak Djokovic, as he took part in a "final act of defiance." Kyrgios received a second-place trophy,...
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join
Applause at Wimbledon
Jul 6, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join Applause at Wimbledon
People are allegedly getting it on in new 'quiet room' designed for 'meditation, prayer, or reflection'
- "Wimbledon" and "sounds of intimacy" aren't two terms you'd normally associate with each other, but at this year's tennis tournament in London, they've become amorously intertwined. To be more blunt, the Daily Beast puts it thusly: A new "quiet room" at the Wimbledon...
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches:
Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
Jul 5, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches: Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
All England Club emails request that everyone be more 'judicious' in how they spend food allowance
- Playing on the professional tennis circuit surely must work up an appetite, and at Wimbledon, the players there are allotted nearly $110 a day for fare to fill their grumbling tummies. Some have apparently been using their food allowance to the max, however, and a warning has now been issued,...
After 51 Weeks,
Serena Williams Returns
Jun 21, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
After 51 Weeks, Serena Williams Returns
She won her first competitive match since Wimbledon slip
- As "What A Feeling" boomed around Devonshire Park, Serena Williams strode onto center court at Eastbourne to a standing ovation for her first competitive tennis match in nearly a year. Around 90 minutes later, fans were on their feet again, celebrating a comeback win for the 23-time Grand Slam...
Russian Tennis Pro
Finds a Way to Dodge
Jun 20, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Russian Tennis Pro Finds a Way to Dodge Wimbledon Ban
Natela Dzalamidze changes nationality to Georgian to get around ban spurred by war in Ukraine
- Since the war in Ukraine, Russians have faced fallout—especially in the sports arena , where Russian athletes have been increasingly banned. One athlete, women's tennis pro Natela Dzalamidze, has decided she doesn't want her country of origin to get in the way of her chances to play in...
to Report on
Apr 20, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Russia Reacts to Report on Wimbledon Ban
Russian, Belarusian athletes have officially been barred from participating
This story has been updated throughout with the official announcement of the ban.
Tennis players from Russia and Belarus have been banned from playing at Wimbledon in late June—and the Kremlin expressed its displeasure as soon as it heard a ban was in the cards. Spokesman Dmitry Peskov blasted...
She's No. 1
Calling It Quits
Mar 23, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
She's No. 1 in Tennis—and Calling It Quits
25-year-old Ashleigh Barty of Australia retires at the top of her game
- The top-ranked women’s singles tennis player is retiring at the ripe old age of 25. "Today is difficult and filled with emotion for me as I announce my retirement from tennis," Australia's Ashleigh Barty wrote Wednesday on Instagram. "It's hard to say but I'...
France's Rule Change Is
Good News for Djokovic
Mar 4, 2022 12:20 PM CST
France's Rule Change Is Good News for Djokovic
Unvaxxed tennis star should be able to defend his French Open title in May
- It looks like Novak Djokovic will be to able to play in the French Open after all. The tennis star, who missed out on the Australian Open because he is unvaccinated against COVID-19, has said he would give up more opportunities to match Rafael Nadal's record 21 Grand Slam...
Attack on Chair
Gets Him Booted
Feb 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Tennis Star's Attack on Chair Gets Him Booted From Tourney
No. 3 Alexander Zverev smashed the umpire's seat with his racket at Mexican Open
- German tennis star Alexander Zverev is out of the Mexican Open—and not because of a loss. Zverev, ranked third in the world in men's singles, defeated Jenson Brooksby of the US 3-6 7-6 (10) 6-2 in a singles match early Tuesday, before heading into a men's doubles...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes,
Nadal Does the Extraordinary
Jan 30, 2022 8:39 AM CST
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes, Nadal Does the Extraordinary
He broke the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles with 21st win
- Rafael Nadal got to 21 first, breaking the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles and doing it the hard way by coming back from two sets down to beat Daniil Medvedev in an almost 5 1/2-hour Australian Open final that didn't finish until the early hours...
Australian Open Winner Is
Extra-Special to Aussies
Jan 29, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Australian Open Winner Is Extra-Special to Aussies
Ashleigh Barty beat US' Danielle Collins, becoming first Aussie to win nation's tourney since 1978
- It's been 44 years since either a men's or women's tennis player from Australia won the Australian Open. That changed Saturday, when Ashleigh Barty, 25, took home the title for her country in Melbourne, beating 28-year-old American Danielle Collins 6-3, 7-6, reports Yahoo Sports . The last Aussie...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
New Details Emerge in
Djokovic's Detention Case
Jan 8, 2022 6:00 AM CST
New Details Emerge in Djokovic's Detention Case
Serbian tennis star, facing deportation in Australia, had COVID last month, lawyers say in court filing
- The mystery of whether or not Novak Djokovic has actually received the coronavirus vaccine has now been cleared up, and we now also know more about his experiences with COVID. On Saturday, his lawyers submitted court documents that revealed the 34-year-old Serbian tennis star had had COVID in December and...
Jan 5, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Djokovic's Exemption in Australia Generates Fury
He got the OK to play at the Australian Open
The news that Novak Djokovic has been granted a medical exemption that will allow him to play in the Australian Open despite refusing to reveal his vaccination status has spurred outrage in the country, up to its highest ranks. NBC News reports a "visibly angry" Prime Minister Scott...
WTA Just Suspended
All Tournaments in China
Dec 1, 2021 5:28 PM CST
WTA Just Suspended All Tournaments in China
Chairman doubts Peng Shuai is being allowed to speak freely
- The Women's Tennis Association says it is unconvinced by China's efforts to show Peng Shuai is speaking freely, so it is suspending all tournaments in China with immediate effect. In a statement released Tuesday, WTA Chairman Steve Simon said he had "serious doubts" that Peng, who accused...
Peng Shuai Reappears At
Youth Tennis Event
Nov 21, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Peng Shuai Reappears At Youth Tennis Event
Chinese tennis star vanished after accusing Communist official of sexual assault
- Missing tennis star Peng Shuai reappeared in public Sunday at a youth tournament in Beijing, according to photos released by the organizer, as the ruling Communist Party tried to quell fears abroad while suppressing information in China about Peng after she accused a senior leader of sexual assault. The post...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.