Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
Employee Who Cut Fluoride
Without Telling Town Resigns
Oct 21, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Employee Who Cut Fluoride Without Telling Town Resigns
And also alleges levels were low for more than 10 years
- A town employee who quietly lowered the fluoride in a Vermont community's drinking water for years has resigned—and is asserting that the levels had actually been low for much longer than believed, the AP reports. Richmond water superintendent Kendall Chamberlin disclosed in his five-page resignation letter, submitted Monday,...
The Bear Was on Top of Her.
Then Her Dog Started Barking
Aug 23, 2022 3:33 PM CDT
The Bear Was on Top of Her. Then Her Dog Started Barking
Jack Russell terrier helps save the day in Vermont
- A Jack Russell terrier just made clear why dogs are considered man's best friend. Or more specifically, a 61-year-old woman's. On Saturday, Susan Lee was walking her terrier and labradoodle on trails near her Strafford, Vermont home when she heard a "loud noise" and realized a bear...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Historic Vermont Resort to
Change 'Insensitive' Name
Jun 29, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Historic Vermont Resort to Change 'Insensitive' Name
Historic 'Suicide Six' is keeping up with the times
- A historic ski resort in Vermont has determined that it's time for a name change. Per CNN, Suicide Six announced the news in a statement on its website, saying, "Our resort team embraces the increasing awareness surrounding mental health and shares the growing concerns about the insensitive nature...
They Showed Up to Arrest His
Son. Out Came the Excavator
Jun 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
They Showed Up to Arrest His Son. Out Came the Excavator
Vermont's Wayne Tallman is now facing charges, as is son Brandon
- "They don't have a scenario at the academy where we practice this one." So Vermont State Police Captain Matt Daley tells WCAX of an incident that saw two troopers threatened by the swinging bucket of an excavator. The troopers had arrived at Wayne Tallman's home in...
One Unlikely State Has Never
Had a Woman in Congress
May 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
One Unlikely State Has Never Had a Woman in Congress
But liberal Vermont appears poised to lose that distinction
- With a rare opening this fall in its congressional delegation, Vermont appears poised to lose its distinction as the only state that has never been represented by a woman in Washington, per the AP . Three women, including Lt. Gov. Molly Gray and Senate President Pro Tempore Becca Balint, are among...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
He Helped Pass Assisted
Suicide Law, Used It Himself
Jan 20, 2022 2:04 PM CST
He Helped Pass Assisted Suicide Law, Used It Himself
Former Vermont legislator Willem Jewett had terminal diagnosis, ended his life
- A former Vermont legislator and House majority leader has died with the help of a law he helped pass that allows the terminally ill to end their own lives, per the AP . Willem Jewett died Jan. 12 at his home in Ripton at age 58, said his wife, Ellen McKay...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
This Year, Jennifer Snowpez
Will Keep Vermont Moving
Nov 19, 2021 2:03 PM CST
This Year, Jennifer Snowpez Will Keep Vermont Moving
That's one of the names given to the state's plows, along with Baby Snowda
- Captain Snowpants; Yo Bro, No Snow; and Jennifer Snowpez are among the names that will be on some of Vermont's snowplows this winter. Vermont school students participated in the state transportation department's Name a Plow contest to come up with names for the snowplows serving their communities, per...
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing
Disney Cruises for $20M
Sep 25, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing Disney Cruises for $20M
Lawsuit alleges another child sexually assaulted toddler in front of staff
- Parents of a child in Vermont are suing the Disney Cruise Line for $20 million. They say their 3-year-old daughter was groped by a “significantly older child” while being looked after in the Oceaneer Club daycare for passengers ages 3-12, WCAX reports. They say their daughter was restrained, and...
These Parts of the US Face
the Greatest Climate Risk
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
These Parts of the US Face the Greatest Climate Risk
Multiple counties in Louisiana are looking at a dire situation, while Vermont offers possible refuge
- If you've been looking for a reason to move to the Northeast, this might catch your attention. After the recent bleak climate report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which notes a worrisome decade ahead in terms of global warming and its effects on the Earth,...
Looking for Gender Equality?
Here's Where to Go
Aug 23, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Looking for Gender Equality? Here's Where to Go
Nevada takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, while Utah comes in last
- The glass ceiling may have many deep cracks in it, but it hasn't yet been shattered—at least not in terms of the pay gap or women consistently finding equal footing in leadership positions. And the workplace isn't the only arena in which women are still battling gender...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.