Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Beware of Chinese Spying,
Heads of FBI, MI5 Warn
Jul 6, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Beware of Chinese Spying, Heads of FBI, MI5 Warn
Tech is most at risk, directors tell business, education leaders in London
- Seeking maximum impact, the heads of the FBI and Britain's MI5 stood together Wednesday to warn of the danger of Chinese espionage. Western technology companies are especially at risk of losing intellectual property, the two told chief executives at Thames House, headquarters of the British domestic security agency, in...
Workers in One Sector Are
Seeing Lots of Layoffs
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 11, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Workers in One Sector Are Seeing Lots of Layoffs
The post-pandemic economy isn't turning out the way some investors hoped
- Overall, the US job market remains strong, according to the Labor Department’s latest jobs report, which shows US employers added 428,000 jobs in May amid record-high job openings. Meanwhile, per Reuters, layoffs and unemployment claims remain far below levels that might signal an economic downturn. "A low...
Is the Tech
May 10, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Is the Tech Bubble Bursting?
Leading companies have lost $1T in value in just 3 days, reports CNBC
- Soaring tech stocks hit all kinds of milestones as they led a market resurgence. Now comes a milestone of the opposite variety: CNBC reports that the biggest companies in the sector have lost a combined $1 trillion in value in just the last three days of trading. Apple has fared...
What Happens When Engineers
Are Told to Make Deliveries?
Dec 28, 2021 4:13 PM CST
What Happens When Engineers Are Told to Make Deliveries?
At least one six-figure employee had some salty language about DoorDash program
- Asking an engineer making a six-figure salary to do a basic job is not the craziest idea—plenty of companies expect senior and management-level employees to work entry-level positions. It’s not an old-fashioned idea, or one alien to tech, either. Zappos has its engineers and execs work customer service...
Apple Flips on Right to Repair,
Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Nov 17, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Apple Flips on Right to Repair, Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Program to start with iPhone 12 and 13 next year, then add Macs
- In a victory for the right-to-repair movement, as well as owners of Apple products, the company soon will permit DIY repairs. Apple announced Wednesday that it will provide instructions on home repairs, as well as start selling more than 200 parts and the necessary tools, the Verge reports. Until now,...
Frances Haugen's Fight
Has a Billionaire Backer
Oct 21, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Frances Haugen's Fight Has a Billionaire Backer
EBay founder Pierre Omidyar's organizations are giving financial support to Facebook whistleblower
- Frances Haugen's fight against Facebook is receiving funding from a billionaire: tech critic and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar. Omidyar's global philanthropic organization Luminate gave $150,000 last year to nonprofit Whistleblower Aid, which is handling Haugen's legal representation , Politico reports. However, Whistleblower Aid is also seeking donations...
Calls for a New 'Moonshot,'
This Time for an Earthly Worry
Apr 13, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Calls for a New 'Moonshot,' This Time for an Earthly Worry
Intel CEO says the US needs to reclaim its leadership on semiconductors
- The world is facing a shortage of semiconductor chips, and the ramifications can be seen in the temporary closing of several US auto plants around the country, reports NPR . The chips are crucial to more than automobiles, however, and the supply crunch threatens to slow economic recovery from the pandemic....
Feb 11, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Bumble's Debut Makes CEO a Billionaire
Few self-made women have achieved such wealth
- Shares of Bumble reached $72 on Thursday afternoon in the company's market debut, making its chief executive not only wealthy but a rarity. That price meant that Whitney Wolfe Herd's shares were worth $1.5 billion. Few tech entrepreuners bursting into such territory are women, Bloomberg reports; 559...
Oct 25, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Founder of Electronics Dynasty Has Died
Lee Kun-hee transformed Samsung
- The man who turned Samsung into a tech powerhouse—and nearly lost it all amid white-collar crime convictions—died Sunday in Seoul, the
reports. Lee Kun-hee was 78. "Chairman Lee was a true visionary who transformed Samsung into the world-leading innovator and industrial powerhouse from a local...
His Boss Had
Jul 19, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Guy Accused of Beheading His Boss Had 'Mystery' Date
Tyrese Haspil's attorneys ask the public to 'keep an open mind'
- The executive assistant who allegedly dismembered his boss this week has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, CNN reports. Tyrese Haspil, 21, who apparently has no criminal record, is accused of decapitating and cutting up tech entrepreneur Fahim Saleh at the CEO's Manhattan condo. "We are in the...
Before OD Death
Oct 3, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Vine Founder Texted 'Candyshop' Before OD Death
6 charged with conspiring to distribute drugs in NYC
- Six people who allegedly operated a drug delivery service called Mike's Candyshop have been arrested in connection with the overdose death of Vine founder Colin Kroll. The suspects, ages 25 to 38, each face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison on a charge of conspiring to...
Job Ad: 'Preferably Caucasian'
Apr 30, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
Job Ad: 'Preferably Caucasian'
Cynet Systems is in hot water, apologizing profusely over employment ad posted online
- A tech company counting "inclusivity & equality" among its core values is apologizing after one of its job listings requested a "preferably Caucasian" candidate. "How could you POSSIBLY think that's okay?" Florida coder Helena McCabe tweeted to Virginia-based tech recruiting firm Cynet Systems on Saturday, though...
Warren Ads Calling for
Yanked by Facebook
Mar 12, 2019 7:32 AM CDT
Warren Ads Calling for Facebook Breakup Yanked by Facebook
Citing modified logo, company will restore ads to allow 'robust debate'
- Facebook may have inadvertently illustrated Elizabeth Warren's point about the consolidation of power by tech giants like itself. The social media company removed numerous ads calling for the breakup of Facebook, Amazon, and Google, published Friday by Warren's presidential campaign. "They've bulldozed competition, used our private...
Microsoft Puts Its Money Where
Seattle's Housing Crisis Is
Jan 17, 2019 7:41 AM CST
Microsoft Puts Its Money Where Seattle's Housing Crisis Is
$500M to go to affordable housing, homeless services within 3 years
- Microsoft is looking to ensure a roof over employees' heads, putting up $500 million to assist with affordable housing in the Seattle area. The funds will help create homes for Microsoft's cafeteria workers and shuttle drivers, as well as other middle- and low-income residents, reports the
New York Times
Vine Founder Dead at 35
Dec 16, 2018 3:53 PM CST
Vine Founder Dead at 35
Colin Kroll was discovered in his New York apartment
- Colin Kroll, a tech executive who co-founded the HQ Trivia app, has died. He was 35, the AP reports. The New York Police Department says officers went to Kroll's Manhattan apartment early Sunday after getting a call asking for a wellness check on him. They found him unconscious and...
US Move Against Chinese
Smartphone Maker Cripples It
May 9, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
US Move Against Chinese Smartphone Maker Cripples It
A global telecom equipment-maker has halted main business operations
- In a move that is roiling the telecom industry worldwide, a global telecom equipment-maker has halted its main business operations. The announcement comes after ZTE, China’s second-largest telecom equipment company, was found by the US to have illegally shipped its products to Iran, per Reuters . In response, the US...
Their Business Had a Male
Co-Founder—Who Was Fake
Aug 31, 2017 11:35 AM CDT
Their Business Had a Male Co-Founder—Who Was Fake
Confronted with sexism, Witchsy's owners invented 'Mann'
- Keith Mann has been credited with co-founding the unconventional online marketplace Witchsy, which totaled $200,000 in sales in its first year. There's just one problem: Keith Mann doesn't exist. He's an invention of Witchsy's actual co-founders, Penelope Gazin and Kate Dwyer, who say they were...
Engineer: Google Proved
My Point by Firing Me
Aug 12, 2017 6:00 AM CDT
Engineer: Google Proved My Point by Firing Me
James Damore says company can't tolerate opposing views
- The Google engineer who wrote a controversial memo about why so few women work in tech also complained in that same memo that Google had an "ideological echo chamber" and oppressed opposing views. "My firing neatly confirms that point," writes James Damore in a
Wall Street Journal
Male Engineer at Google Just
Wrote a Long Memo on Women
Aug 7, 2017 7:36 AM CDT
Male Engineer at Google Just Wrote a Long Memo on Women
They're just not suited to tech, he argues, and reaction is swift
- The hot talk of the tech world is a controversial memo written by an engineer at Google who argues women aren't suited to jobs in technology because of biological and psychological differences with men. The document, "Google's Ideological Echo Chamber," is in wide circulation internally and...
Don't Crack Top 5
Apr 12, 2017 10:56 AM CDT
Google, Facebook Don't Crack Top 5 Highest-Paying Companies
Ever heard of AT Kearney?
- If you're offered a job at any of these companies in the US, you best take it. According to 24/7 Wall St , they're the highest-paying employers. The top 10, all within the consulting or tech industries, along with the median total compensation per year:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
Taylor Swift Fans Read Between Lines on NFL News
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.