Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In NYC's $11B Terminal,
'We Clearly F-ed This One Up'
Jan 31, 2023 1:04 PM CST
In NYC's $11B Terminal, 'We Clearly F-ed This One Up'
Artist Georgia O'Keeffe's name is spelled wrong
- Somebody might want to buy the MTA a big, fat F—as a grade in spelling, or to etch into the shiny new walls of its $11.1 billion, typo-marred Long Island Rail Road terminal Grand Central Madison. The problem? Etched into the stone wall is this 1928 quote: "...
MTA Bigwig: Blowup Doll Isn't
for HOV Lane, It's for 'Company'
Dec 16, 2021 4:35 PM CST
MTA Bigwig: Blowup Doll Isn't for HOV Lane, It's for 'Company'
Giulio Divirgilio tries to explain why he's been driving around with Carpool Kenny
- A manager with New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority is either very lonely during his commutes or very sneaky. The
New York Post
has several photos it captured Wednesday of Giulio Divirgilio, an ex-NYPD cop and now general superintendent for the MTA's buses division, arriving to work in Brooklyn...
Late-Night Bus Ride
Turns Terrifying in NYC
Jan 15, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Late-Night Bus Ride Turns Terrifying in NYC
9 injured after MTA vehicle plunged 50 feet off overpass toward Cross Bronx Expressway
- It was supposed to make a left, but instead, the bus went over a bridge. The
New York Daily News
reports on Thursday's frightening crash at around 11pm in the Bronx borough of New York City, when an MTA bus smashed through the barriers of an overpass and fell...
Below the Tracks, Behind
a Wall: a Secret Man Cave
Sep 25, 2020 1:07 PM CDT
Below the Tracks, Behind a Wall: a Secret Man Cave
3 employees suspended after discovery of hideaway under NYC's Grand Central Terminal
- It had the usual trappings of a man cave: couch, fridge, TV, microwave, etc. But the location of this one sets it apart: below Track 114 of New York City's Grand Central Terminal, tucked behind the wall of an unused locksmith shop, reports the
New York Post
. An investigation...
'a New Low'
May 15, 2020 1:27 PM CDT
NYC MTA: TikTok Star's Subway Prank 'a New Low'
Josh Popkin's Fruity Pebbles-and-milk stunt didn't go over well
- A TikTok star caused quite a commotion on a New York City subway, and now he's facing quite a backlash. Per BuzzFeed , Josh Popkin, the 23-year-old also known as @fckjoshy, shared video on the social network showing him carrying a plastic bin filled with Fruity Pebbles and milk onto...
Rail Worker With $55K Salary
Makes $311K in One Year
in case you missed it
May 4, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Rail Worker With $55K Salary Makes $311K in One Year
MTA investigating overtime abuse at Long Island Rail Road
- A rail track maintenance worker with a base salary of $54,985 made more than 5 times that amount in 2018, working the equivalent of 16 hours a day for all 365 days of the year. The
New York Post
highlights the case of Marco Pazmino of Long Island Rail...
Jan 8, 2018 7:50 PM CST
Illicit Transit Worker Claims Mental Defect
Darius McCollum has been arrested for impersonating a transit worker 30 times
- A man who has been arrested 30 times for impersonating a New York City transit worker, stealing buses and trains and driving their routes, has taken a plea deal that's sending him to a mental health facility, not prison, for his latest escapade. Darius McCollum had been charged with...
'Pioneer in Her Field'
Dies Delivering Twins
Nov 21, 2017 2:34 PM CST
'Pioneer in Her Field' Dies Delivering Twins
NYC MTA elevator and escalator mechanic Julia Roman suffered an amniotic fluid embolism
- Julia Roman came to the US from the Dominican Republic when she was 16, joined a program that helps women get jobs in male-dominated industries, and ended up making history: She was the first female elevator and escalator mechanic for New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority. But the story of...
NYC Transit Workers Describe
'Leaking' Corpses on the Job
Aug 16, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
NYC Transit Workers Describe 'Leaking' Corpses on the Job
MTA union reps: Bodies from train accidents are stored in worker break areas, bathrooms
- Ever wonder where the bodies of people hit by subway trains are brought to immediately after an accident? "Whatever room happens to be nearest" in New York City's subways, even if that room is an employee lunchroom, bathroom, or other break area, a transit union source tells the...
NYC Mayor Proposes
'Millionaires Tax' to Fix Subway
Aug 7, 2017 10:19 AM CDT
NYC Mayor Proposes 'Millionaires Tax' to Fix Subway
Bill de Blasio also wants the higher tax on city's wealthy to subsidize low-income riders
- A little over a month after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency for the New York City subway, his longtime nemesis in the city, Mayor Bill de Blasio, is proposing a new tax on wealthy New Yorkers to help fix the ailing system. On Monday, de...
'Summer of Hell'
Jul 7, 2017 10:43 AM CDT
NYC Commuters' 'Summer of Hell' Begins Monday
'I'd rather have my teeth pulled,' commuter says of anticipated woes from repair project
- A massive two-month repair project will launch Monday at the country's busiest train station, temporarily exacerbating the daily commuting struggle during what New York's governor has predicted will be a "summer of hell," per the AP . At Penn Station, crowds of commuters fume at frequent delays,...
Buses Must Run
'Killing Jews' Ads
Apr 22, 2015 11:44 AM CDT
Judge: NYC Buses Must Run 'Killing Jews' Ads
Pamela Geller's controversial group wins in court
- Soon, you could see MTA buses in New York with the words "Killing Jews is Worship that draws us close to Allah" on the side. That's because a controversial pro-Israel group wants to run the ads—they show a man with a Palestinian
covering his face alongside...
Cops: On-Duty Bus Driver
Ferried $3M in Drugs
Apr 24, 2014 4:04 PM CDT
Cops: On-Duty Bus Driver Ferried $3M in Drugs
Bronx man gets caught in federal sting
- Passengers aboard a Bronx city bus last week might have been surprised to learn that a major drug deal was taking place in front of them. And as the
reports, it was the driver himself who ended up in handcuffs. The tale of the unusual bust involving 8...
5 Remain Seriously Hurt
in Conn. Train Collision
May 18, 2013 5:36 AM CDT
5 Remain Seriously Hurt in Conn. Train Collision
Investigators don't know why first train derailed
- Authorities still aren't sure what caused two commuter trains to collide outside Bridgeport, Conn., yesterday evening. An eastbound Metro-North train derailed and got hit by a westbound train on adjacent tracks, reports the
. About 60 people were treated, and five remained critically injured as of this morning,...
NYC Subway Fights Rats
Mar 12, 2013 11:43 AM CDT
NYC Subway Fights Rats —With Sterilization
ContraPest makes female rats infertile, if they eat enough of it
- The rats of New York's subways have outfoxed poisons and traps alike, but now the MTA is ready to try out a new tactic—sterilization. Subway officials outlined a plan yesterday to use a sterilization product called ContraPest, which make females infertile by targeting ovarian follicles, reports the
Station Hit By
Feb 25, 2013 8:13 AM CST
Grand Central Station Hit By Bomb Scare
Trains skip station during brief investigation
- Most New Yorkers were probably at home watching the Oscars, but those out and about might have noticed a hiccup in the MTA last night. Trains started skipping Grand Central Station last night, and the Times Square Shuttle was shut down over a bomb scare, DNAinfo reports. At 9:40,...
New York Subway
Rolls Again, Eases
Nov 1, 2012 6:56 AM CDT
New York Subway Rolls Again, Eases Commute Misery
Commuters line up hour before system opens
- The majority of New York's subway rolled back into action today—and commuters can ride it, along with commuter trains and buses, for free, thanks to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's declaration of a transportation emergency, the
New York Post
reports. But it's not yet smooth commuting:
Days to Drain
Oct 30, 2012 6:32 AM CDT
NYC's Subway Could Take Days to Drain
Then come the repairs
- Officials don't know when the New York City subway could reopen after flooding "pretty much throughout the entire area," according to an MTA spokesman. Lower Manhattan has been hardest-hit, he says. It could take just 14 hours to pump out the water—or it could take four...
NYC Shuts Transit
Ahead of Sandy
Oct 28, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
NYC Shuts Transit Ahead of Sandy
MTA closing down at 7pm tonight as storm approaches
- New York City will indeed shut its bus, subway, and commuter rail services in advance of Hurricane Sandy, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today. Subways and trains will be suspended starting at 7pm today, with the last buses running at 9pm. He said the decision to shut down the area's...
NYC Subway Ad:
Sep 20, 2012 9:19 AM CDT
NYC Subway Ad: Jihadists Are 'Savages'
Posters to appear in 10 stations next week
- Starting next week, 10 New York subway stations are set to display ads reading, "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man." The ads then call on readers to "Support Israel. Defeat Jihad," the
New York Times
reports. Transportation officials...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.