Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Sleeping With
a Weighted Blanket
Does to Your Brain
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2022 12:54 PM CST
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Night use boosts production of melatonin, small study finds
- Weighted vests and blankets have been used for decades to induce calm. But how do they work? Researchers may now have part of the answer. Christian Benedict, an associate professor of pharmacology at Sweden's Uppsala University, had heard of "the magic effects of the weighted blanket"—including...
Study Holds Warning
for Those Sleeping
5 Hours a Night
Oct 19, 2022 2:38 PM CDT
Study Holds Warning for Those Sleeping 5 Hours a Night
50-year-olds who did so had 30% greater risk of multimorbidity than those who slept 7
- Eight hours of sleep may do you good, but five hours or less could actually do you harm, or so suggests a new study. The
study of British civil service workers used self-reported sleep duration measurements collected six times between 1985 and 2016; that data was bucketed into...
Researchers Say This Is How
to Get a Crying Baby to Sleep
Sep 14, 2022 11:48 AM CDT
Researchers Say This Is How to Get a Crying Baby to Sleep
Researchers recommend a process that takes 10 to 13 minutes
- For any parent who has wished there was a magic solution to get their crying newborn back to sleep, good news: Japanese researchers say they've found it. In a study published Tuesday in
, researchers sum up the crux of the issue: "Approximately 20%–30% of infants...
Do You Love to Nap? This
Company Wants to Hire You
Aug 9, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
Do You Love to Nap? This Company Wants to Hire You
If you're hired, mattress company Casper will pay you to sleep
- Could a bulldozer ram into your home and you wouldn't wake up from a deep slumber? There might be a gig tailor-made just for you. Although you'd usually get a reprimand or worse for falling asleep at work, online mattress company Casper wants you to do just that,...
The Thing of Your Nightmares
Might Actually Have Dreams
Aug 9, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
The Thing of Your Nightmares Might Actually Have Dreams
Spiders seem to experience REM sleep, with twitches suggesting they act out activities
- You've probably seen a dog kick its legs mid-dream, as though running. Spiders apparently do much the same thing, according to a new study—the first to indicate that arachnids dream. Daniela Roessler, a postdoctoral fellow at Germany's University of Konstanz, trained infrared cameras on sleeping spiders at...
Sleep Is Better When
a Partner Shares the Bed
Jun 13, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
Sleep Is Better When a Partner Shares the Bed
New study suggests overall better scores from couples than single sleepers
- For those trying to get a better night's sleep, a new study suggests one more tip: Share the bed with a romantic partner. Generally speaking, couples get better sleep than singletons, according to the University of Arizona study . Researchers looked at about 1,000 people who self-reported their sleeping...
Climate Change Could
Erode Your Sleep
May 24, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
Climate Change Could Erode Your Sleep
Higher temps could translate into less sleep annually
- Add another tally to the "woes of climate change" column. A new study suggests that by the year 2099, people will get as many as 58 fewer hours of sleep annually due to the impacts of heat on slumber. Researchers had 47,000 adults in 68 countries wear sleep-tracking...
This Is the Perfect Amount of
Sleep Once You Hit Middle Age
May 3, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
This Is the Perfect Amount of Sleep Once You Hit Middle Age
7 hours per night is the sweet spot for those in middle, old age, per latest research, but with caveats
- If you've been skimping a bit on sleep and breaching that long-held "eight hours a night" mantra, you might be OK—as long as it's only by an hour or so, and you're a Gen Xer or boomer. Scientists in the UK and China have found...
Light at Night Harms Health,
Even While You're Fast Sleep
Apr 3, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Light at Night Harms Health, Even While You're Fast Sleep
For your brain, the lights don't go out just because you close your eyes
- If you tend to fall asleep with the TV or a bedside light on, add it to the list of ways you are probably harming your health without even trying. In fact, per CNN —citing a recent study led by Dr. Phyllis Zee, chief of sleep medicine at Northwestern—...
'Vicious Cycle' Involves
Mar 17, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
'Vicious Cycle' Involves Napping, Alzheimer's
Study suggests excessive daytime napping is associated with greater risk for the disease among older adults
- Older adults who suddenly find themselves napping longer and more frequently during the day might want to have their brains checked. That's according to researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital who explored a link between excessive daytime napping and Alzheimer's disease. They analyzed the duration and frequency...
Centuries Ago, We Slept
Jan 22, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
People often went to sleep for a few hours, got up, then returned for a second shift
- Got any big plans after "first sleep" tonight? This question might have actually made sense centuries ago, when human sleeping patterns appeared to be much different from those of today. As Zaria Gorvett explains at the BBC , people in the Middle Ages—and perhaps for long before that—commonly...
Top Snooker Player
Takes Ill-Timed Nap
Nov 30, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Top Snooker Player Takes Ill-Timed Nap
Mark Williams nods off during UK Championship, goes on to lose
- Still feeling the effects of the coronavirus, a top snooker player fell asleep in the middle of his match in one of the most prestigious events in the sport, per the AP . "My head went down and I woke up and I didn't have a clue where I...
Experts Wary as
Date Rape Drug
Wins New Approval
Aug 14, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Experts Wary as Date Rape Drug Wins New Approval
GHB will be used for a rare sleep disroder
- Imagine how cranky and tired you'd feel after a bad night's sleep. Now imagine that's your daily reality. For the estimated 37,000 Americans diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia , who never feel fully rested even after a long night's sleep, it is, per Reuters . But according to...
Here's One Doctor's 6-Step
Routine for an Awesome Day
Jul 18, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Here's One Doctor's 6-Step Routine for an Awesome Day
Hint: It has to do with getting a good night's sleep
- Ali Abdaal is a junior doctor in the UK who shares tips and life hacks on YouTube and his podcast , and in one recent video with more than half a million views, he explains why he's "never tired." The secret, per
, is a six-step routine meant...
Dementia Researchers Warn
Against Too Little Sleep
Apr 20, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Dementia Researchers Warn Against Too Little Sleep
Middle-age people who get 6 hours or less per night might have a higher risk
- A 25-year study out of Britain comes with a clear takeaway for those in or entering middle age: Don't scrimp on sleep. Researchers followed 8,000 people and found that 50-year-olds who got by on six hours of sleep or less per night had a 22% higher risk of...
About White-Noise Sleep Apps
Oct 19, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Researchers Skeptical About White-Noise Sleep Apps
They might actually make things worse, concludes a new study
- Apps or devices that simulate white noise to help people sleep are popular these days, but a new study raises doubts about their effectiveness. In fact, they might even degrade the quality of sleep, warns one of the researchers from the University of Pennsylvania. "I would just be careful,...
Sleep Experts Take a Stand
on Daylight Saving Time
in case you missed it
Sep 6, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
Sleep Experts Take a Stand on Daylight Saving Time
Let's do away with it, says the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Most Americans will turn the clocks back in November to mark the end of daylight saving time, and with that tradition comes another: all the griping from people who think it's a dumb, antiquated practice that should end. For the first time, however, a major panel of sleep experts...
Aim of New State Law
Is to Let Kids Sleep
Oct 14, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Aim of New State Law Is to Let Kids Sleep
California says public schools can't start before 8am; for high schools, it's 8:30
- Students in California's public schools will be able to sleep in a little later on school days under a controversial new state law. By the start of the 2022 school year, public middle schools can begin no earlier than 8am and high schools no earlier than 8:30am, reports...
Excessive Daytime Naps
May Be Alzheimer's Signal
Aug 19, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
Excessive Daytime Naps May Be Alzheimer's Signal
Researchers say the disease directly attacks part of the brain that keeps us awake
- The health benefits of an afternoon nap have been long extolled, but a new need for excessive daytime napping may come with a red flag. Researchers from UC San Francisco say the trait could be an early warning sign of Alzheimer's, reports Live Science . In the new study in...
Ever Feel Your Soul Has Been
'Sucked Out'? You're Not Alone
Jul 1, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Ever Feel Your Soul Has Been 'Sucked Out'? You're Not Alone
10% of people have had 'true' near-death experiences, researchers say
- Have you ever seen your whole life flash before your eyes? You may have had an NDE, or near-death experience, and per a new study , you've got company. Research presented at the European Academy of Neurology Congress shows that 10% of 1,034 people from 35 countries had what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.