Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Active Shooter' Reported on UNLV Campus
Stories 1 - 20 |
Milestone Is a 'Tragic' One
Dec 5, 2023 7:28 AM CST
Latest Mass-Shooting Milestone Is a 'Tragic' One
Per 'WaPo' tabulation, US has had 38 shootings in 2023 that left 4 or more victims dead, a record
- Two incidents of gun violence over the weekend have pushed the nation into what the
calls a "grim US record": the highest number of mass shootings since 2006. The fatal shootings in Texas and Washington state on Sunday marked the 37th and 38th mass shootings in America...
Mother of Burlington Suspect:
He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Nov 27, 2023 12:03 PM CST
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
3 young men of Palestinian descent shot; alleged gunman is in custody in Vermont
- Was it a hate crime? The shooting of three 20-year-old men of Palestinian descent near the University of Vermont has raised the question in Burlington. Police have arrested 48-year-old Jason Eaton of Burlington, who's in custody on three counts of aggravated assault. Eaton pleaded not guilty at an arraignment...
3 Dead in Shooting
Blamed on Property Dispute
Nov 22, 2023 12:00 AM CST
3 Dead in Shooting Blamed on Property Dispute
Suspect captured after fleeing in Colorado, and another person is critically wounded
- A man was captured Tuesday after 25 hours on the run after police say he fatally shot three people and critically wounded a fourth in his latest property dispute with neighbors in rural Colorado, authorities said. The suspect, Hanme K. Clark, 45, was arrested by New Mexico State police near...
but Necessary Group
Nov 19, 2023 8:33 AM CST
School Principals Form Unwanted but Necessary Group
A deep dive into the Principal Recovery Network, a support group for leaders at schools affected by gun violence
- Frank DeAngelis used to belong to a lonely club of one. Now, he's got nearly two dozen companions in that club, but it's one he wishes didn't exist. In fact, DeAngelis—the former principal of Colorado's Columbine High School, where a 1999 mass shooting left 12...
Young Gun Violence Survivors
Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Nov 7, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Young Gun Violence Survivors Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Study explores 'unbelievable impact' on young survivors specifically, an understudied issue
- Child survivors of gun violence are just that—survivors. Where others died, they were spared. Yet for many survivors, life after gun violence can feel like a curse. New research, using more than 2,000 employer-sponsored insurance claims to chart the health and economic effects for survivors under the age...
Gun Shop Owner: Maine
Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Oct 30, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Gun Shop Owner: Maine Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Robert Card reportedly tried to buy silencer months earlier, was rejected due to one answer on form
- The man suspected of killing 18 and injuring 13 in a mass shooting last week in Lewiston, Maine, apparently tried to buy a silencer at a local gun shop almost three months before the massacre. Rick LaChapelle, owner of Coastal Defense Firearms in nearby Auburn, tells ABC News that Robert...
Here Are the 18
Victims in Maine
Oct 28, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Here Are the 18 Victims in Maine
A teen bowler, a shipbuilder who loved cornhole among those gunned down in Lewiston
- Amid reports of the Friday discovery of the body of the suspected gunman in two mass shootings in Lewiston, Maine, more details on the victims. The 18 people killed included a 14-year-old bowler, a shipbuilder who loved playing the game of cornhole, and a sign language interpreter. According to Maine...
New Toll in Maine:
18 Dead, 13 Injured
Oct 26, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
New Toll in Maine: 18 Dead, 13 Injured
Suspected gunman remains at large
This story has been updated with more info on the gunman and other details throughout.
Authorities in Maine have updated the casualty toll from Wednesday night's mass shooting in Lewiston : A "profoundly saddened" Gov. Janet Mills said at least 18 people were killed and 13 injured, reports the...
Teen Boy Arrested
in Mall Shooting
Oct 3, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Teen Boy Arrested in Mall Shooting
At least one person is dead in posh Thai mall, though initial reports had said 3 were slain
- A shooter opened fire inside a major shopping mall in the center of Thailand's capital Tuesday afternoon, killing at least one person before being apprehended, CNN reports, though initial reports had between two and three dead. Police said a suspect was taken into custody less than an hour after...
White House Rolls Out
a Gun Violence Initiative
Sep 22, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
White House Rolls Out a Gun Violence Initiative
VP Kamala Harris will oversee the new Office of Gun Violence Prevention
- For the first time, the White House will have an office dedicated solely to fighting gun violence. The Biden administration announced its plans Wednesday on the new office, which Reuters notes will "implement existing laws and work with local authorities to pass gun safety legislation at the state level,...
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
Mass Killings Reach
Highest Point Since 2006
Jul 15, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Mass Killings Reach Highest Point Since 2006
Death toll for first half of 2023: 140 people
- Slain at the hands of strangers or gunned down by loved ones. Massacred in small towns, in big cities, inside their own homes or outside in broad daylight. This year's unrelenting bloodshed across the US has led to the grimmest of milestones: the deadliest six months of mass killings...
Cops: Toddler Shoots,
Kills His Pregnant Mom
Jun 23, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Cops: Toddler Shoots, Kills His Pregnant Mom
2-year-old's new sibling didn't make it either in 'tragic' incident in Norwalk, Ohio
- Last Friday, police in Norwalk, Ohio, received a disturbing call just after 1pm from a young mom, who revealed to the dispatcher she was eight months pregnant and had been shot in the back. Even more shocking was the person she said had shot her: her 2-year-old son, reports CNN...
Cops: Man Fatally Shot
Estranged Wife, 4 Others
Jun 17, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Cops: Man Fatally Shot Estranged Wife, 4 Others
Tennessee police at burning home where 3 kids died say gunman Gary Barnett also killed himself
- Six people are dead in Tennessee, including three children, after police responding to a call of gunfire showed up at the scene to find a house on fire. Marion County Sheriff Bo Burnett tells WRCB that the call in Marion County came in around 8:45pm on Thursday, at which...
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in
Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Jun 10, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Cops say Detroit infant will survive after latest incident involving kids stumbling on firearms
- "Here we are again." That was the frustrated statement given Wednesday night by Detroit Assistant Police Chief Charles Fitzgerald, after a 6-year-old boy found a gun inside his house and shot his baby brother, twice—in what Fitzgerald noted has become a "too common occurrence," per...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
Cops: New Mexico
18, Used 3 Guns
May 16, 2023 7:51 AM CDT
Cops: New Mexico Gunman Was 18, Used 3 Guns in Shooting
Farmington attack was 'purely random,' police chief says of shooting that killed 3, injured 6
- Police fatally shot the suspect in Monday's mass shooting in Farmington , New Mexico, which left three others dead and six injured, including two police officers. Now, more details are trickling out about the gunman, who cops say was 18 years old and used at least three firearms to carry...
Mom Killed While Picking Up
Prom Dress With Daughter
May 16, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Mom Killed While Picking Up Prom Dress With Daughter
She was caught in crossfire between 2 other cars
- Ana Moreno had taken one of her daughters out to get the teen's hair done and pick up her prom dress for the dance that night when she was caught in crossfire on a Dallas street and killed. The tragedy took place Saturday, the day before Mother's Day,...
Cops: Man Gunned Down
Girlfriend Over Abortion
May 13, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Gunned Down Girlfriend Over Abortion
Dallas police say Harold Thompson was angry that Gabriella Gonzalez had procedure in Colorado
- A man who didn't want his girlfriend to get an abortion fatally shot her during a confrontation in a Dallas parking lot, police said. He was jailed on a murder charge as of Friday. Gabriella Gonzalez, 26, was with her boyfriend, 22-year-old Harold Thompson, on Wednesday when he tried...
Texas Mass Shooting Wasn't
Worst in 2023 So Far
May 8, 2023 1:08 PM CDT
Texas Mass Shooting Wasn't Worst in 2023 So Far
Nation has had 115 deaths so far this year, on track to set modern annual record
- The mall shooting in Texas over the weekend that claimed eight lives, not including the shooter, isn't the deadliest of 2023 so far. It's eclipsed by one in Monterey Park, California , in January that claimed 11 lives, notes the
. Not surprisingly, then, the US is on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.