Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Japanese Vending Machines
Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Jan 30, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Japanese Vending Machines Now Dispensing Whale Meat
Conservationists are worried about the development
- A Japanese whaling operator, after struggling for years to promote its products amid protests from conservationists, has found a new way to cultivate clientele and bolster sales: whale meat vending machines. The Kujira (Whale) Store, an unmanned outlet that recently opened in the port town of Yokohama near Tokyo, houses...
Whale Makes 'Amazing'
but Heartbreaking Journey
Dec 11, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Whale Makes 'Amazing' but Heartbreaking Journey
Humpback with broken back made 3.1K-mile trek from Canada to Hawaii but likely won't live long
- It's a story both inspiring and heartbreaking, and one that marine wildlife experts have been monitoring with admiration and deep concern. For at least the last decade, a humpback whale named Moon has been on the radar of scientists at the Fin Island whale research station off of British...
This Whale Sucks
In an Astounding
Nov 2, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
This Whale Sucks In an Astounding Amount of Microplastics
Blue whales, as well as other baleens, are ingesting millions of the tiny particles daily
- Baleen whales —which include blue whales and humpbacks—are a type of whale that uses special filters instead of teeth to collect and eat small prey like krill and fish. Now, in a research first, scientists examining the consumption habits of these marine mammals have found they're...
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds
of Stranded Whales Languish
Sep 21, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds of Stranded Whales Languish
Half the whales beached in Tasmania may still be alive, but rescue is 'complex'
- Almost two years ago to the day, close to 400 whales died after washing up on the shores near Macquarie Heads, Tasmania, in one of the largest strandings ever recorded. Now, deja vu on the Australian island's west coast. Some 230 whales have been beached near the town of...
Rescue of Stranded
Aug 10, 2022 7:25 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Rescue of Stranded Whale Is Too Late
Beluga taken out of Seine to be transported back to chillier waters dies
- A beluga whale stranded in the Seine, far from the colder waters where it belongs, has died during an attempted rescue, reports CNN . The first part of a multistage relocation operation took place early Wednesday, with the 13-foot-long, 1,800-pound marine mammal lifted out of the waters in northern France...
Whale Is Stranded in the Seine
Aug 5, 2022 9:53 AM CDT
Whale Is Stranded in the Seine
Officials are now trying to save the beluga in France, far from its usual home in chillier waters
- A beluga whale is stranded far from home, and now French officials are trying to figure out how to get it to safety. The BBC reports that the skinny-looking whale is right now floating near Vernon, 45 miles or so northwest of Paris and way south of the chilly Arctic...
Humpback Whale Leaps,
Comes Down on Boat
May 19, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Humpback Whale Leaps, Comes Down on Boat
It happened in Mexico on Saturday
- Getting up close and personal with nature proved dangerous in Mexico's Sea of Cortez on Saturday, when a boat that apparently got too close to a humpback whale ended up nearly being taken down by the creature. 9News reports that tourists on nearby boats in Topolobampo Bay off Sinaloa,...
Only Whaler Known to Go Down
in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Mar 23, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Only Whaler Known to Go Down in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Find sheds light on 'how people of color succeeded as captains and crew members'
- Roughly 15 years before Herman Melville introduced the world to Moby Dick, a whaling ship from Massachusetts sank near the mouth of the Mississippi River. Nearly 190 years later, experts say, it’s still the only whaler known to have gone down in the Gulf of Mexico, where the threat...
At Infamous 'Death Trap for
Whales,' a Sad New Find
Mar 18, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
At Infamous 'Death Trap for Whales,' a Sad New Find
34 long-finned pilot whales found beached in mass stranding at New Zealand's Farewell Spit
- Farewell Spit, a perhaps aptly named 16-mile stretch of sand on the remote northern end of New Zealand's South Island, is making headlines for sad news that's become commonplace there. The island nation's Department of Conservation reported on Friday that 34 long-finned pilot whales have been found...
Whole by Whale
Is Doing Much
Jun 12, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Man Swallowed Whole by Whale Is Doing Much Better Now
Michael Packard was diving for lobsters when he got gulped down off of Provincetown, Mass.
Cape Cod Times
calls Michael Packard's tale a "truly biblical" story, but for the 56-year-old Massachusetts man, he just considers it an incredibly lucky one. Packard, a lobster diver who's been working out of Provinceton for four decades, tells CBS Boston he was about 45 feet...
For This Endangered Species,
an 'Encouraging Sign'
Apr 3, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
For This Endangered Species, an 'Encouraging Sign'
Scientists: N. Atlantic right whales gave birth this winter in larger numbers since 2015
- North Atlantic right whales gave birth over the winter in greater numbers than scientists have seen since 2015, an encouraging sign for researchers who became alarmed three years ago when the critically endangered species produced no known offspring at all. Survey teams spotted 17 newborn right whale calves swimming with...
They Blew Up a Dead Whale.
It Didn't Go as Expected
in case you missed it
Nov 15, 2020 1:00 PM CST
They Blew Up a Dead Whale. It Didn't Go as Expected
'For the blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds'
- Oregon is celebrating a special anniversary on Thursday: the 50-year commemoration of when highway workers there blew up a dead whale. Per the
, a 45-foot, 8-ton sperm whale washed up on the shores of Florence in late 1970, and on Nov. 12, the state's highway division decided...
Nov 8, 2019 1:33 PM CST
Your TGIF Minute: A Whale Playing Fetch
'It's crazy, yeah'
- Get ready for what TMZ calls a minute "of awesome." The
posted a video Thursday of a boat said to be near the North Pole, with South African rugby fans aboard, next to a beluga whale. That's not what makes the encounter awesome, however: It's...
What's a Whale Worth?
More Than You Might Think
Sep 25, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
What's a Whale Worth? More Than You Might Think
Team of economists with the IMF do the math
- Whales are actually cash cows, or so suggest economists with the International Monetary Fund. A team helmed by Ralph Chami took a look at the economic benefit provided by whales when it comes to carbon sequestration and ecotourism and arrived at a big figure: $2 million apiece. Their analysis hasn'...
Out of Canada, 'News
to Splash a Fin At'
Jun 11, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
Out of Canada, 'News to Splash a Fin At'
'Free Willy' act, which would bar holding whales, dolphins in captivity, about to become law
- "Breaking: Victory!" That was the exuberant message from Canada's Green Party on Monday, when the country's House of Commons passed a bill aimed at protecting marine life there. CNN reports on the "Free Willy" bill—named for the 1993 flick in which a boy "...
Is a Hit in
May 3, 2019 2:00 AM CDT
Whale Suspected of Spying Is a Hit in Norway
Beluga entertains people, but experts say he should be left to forage
- A white beluga whale discovered last week that might have slipped away from the Russian military has become at home along the coastline of northern Norway. The whale has been entertaining people,
reports, by dancing in the water, playing with balls, and letting children tap its nose. The tame...
A Whale Rubbed Against a
Boat. It Wore a Harness
Apr 29, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
A Whale Rubbed Against a Boat. It Wore a Harness
Officials speculate harnessed beluga whale found off Norway escaped from Russian military facility
- A beluga whale found with a tight harness that appeared to be Russian-made has raised the alarm of Norwegian officials and prompted speculation that the animal may have escaped from a Russian military facility. Joergen Ree Wiig of the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries says "Equipment St. Petersburg" is written...
Fossil of 4-Legged
Whale Found in Peru
Apr 5, 2019 3:10 PM CDT
Fossil of 4-Legged Whale Found in Peru
Scientists believe it swam like an otter
- What's 13 feet long and has webbed feet with small hooves? It's a whale, according to researchers examining a 42.6-million-year-old fossil found near Peru's Pacific coast. The four-legged early whale, which could apparently move on land as well as in the sea, is the most complete...
'Most Plastic We Have
Ever Seen in a Whale'
Mar 18, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
Philippines Horror: 'Most Plastic We Have Ever Seen in a Whale'
88 pounds of plastic found in dead whale that washed up on beach
- A dead whale washed up on a Philippine beach was distressing enough, but museum workers have deemed what they found inside the creature's gut "disgusting." The BBC reports that the Cuvier's beaked whale turned up on the shoreline east of Davao City on Saturday, and when...
in case you missed it
Mar 16, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Huge Whale Gulps Up Diver
Marine conservationist survived the encounter
- One minute he was snorkeling; the next, he had been scooped up by a whale. A Bryde's whale, to be specific, took Rainer Schimpf, 51, into its mouth as he was in the water off the coast of the South African town of Port Elizabeth last month, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.