Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House GOP to Hunter Biden:
We'll Hold You in Contempt
Dec 7, 2023 7:53 AM CST
House GOP to Hunter Biden: We'll Hold You in Contempt
They demand closed-door testimony in impeachment inquiry; Biden wants public hearing
- House Republicans are threatening to hold Hunter Biden in contempt of Congress if he doesn't sit for a closed-door deposition next week. For a second time Wednesday, Republicans rebuffed Biden's offer to publicly testify before the House Oversight Committee leading the impeachment inquiry into President Biden, per Axios...
Kevin McCarthy to Exit
the House at Month's End
Dec 6, 2023 10:54 AM CST
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Former House speaker makes the announcement in a 'WSJ' op-ed
- Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy announced he'll be exiting the chamber at month's end in a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed published Wednesday. He begins by recounting various accomplishments the House logged under his tenure, from reducing the deficit to getting more Republican women, veterans, and minorities elected to...
McHenry, Who Was Briefly
Speaker, Is Leaving Congress
Dec 5, 2023 12:28 PM CST
McHenry, Who Was Briefly Speaker, Is Leaving Congress
Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina will not seek reelection
- North Carolina Rep. Patrick McHenry, who presided temporarily over the US House for three intense weeks while Republicans struggled to elect a permanent speaker, announced Tuesday that he won't seek reelection to his seat next year. McHenry, who was first elected to the House in 2004 at age 29,...
Offers to Testify
Nov 28, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Hunter Biden Offers to Testify
President's son says he's willing to go in front of the House Oversight Committee next month
- Hunter Biden on Tuesday offered to testify publicly before Congress in response to a subpoena from Republicans investigating nearly every aspect of his business dealings as they pursue an impeachment inquiry into his father, President Biden. The Democratic president's son slammed the inquiry as a "fishing expedition" and...
Santos Rung Up on
3rd Expulsion Resolution
Nov 17, 2023 11:23 AM CST
Santos Rung Up on 3rd Expulsion Resolution
It's the 'most appropriate punishment,' says House Ethics Committee Chair Michael Guest
- George Santos has survived two attempts to expel him from Congress, but can he escape a third? Less than 24 hours after the House Ethics Committee issued a damning report accusing the New York Republican of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds— purportedly used on personal trips,...
In 2015, Johnson Said Trump
Was Unfit to Be President
Nov 16, 2023 9:30 AM CST
In 2015, Johnson Said Trump Was Unfit to Be President
This week, House speaker is 'all in' on the former president's 2024 run, 'wholeheartedly' endorsing him
- Mike Johnson appeared on CNBC earlier this week, noting he expected former President Trump to become the GOP's nominee for 2024, endorsing him "wholeheartedly." "I was one of the closest allies that President Trump had in Congress," Johnson said. "He had a phenomenal first...
Nov 14, 2023 11:43 AM CST
Reporter Witnesses Bizarre Confrontation of Congressmen
GOP's Tim Burchett accuses Kevin McCarthy of elbowing him in the back, gives pursuit
- The House on Tuesday is working on a measure to avoid a government shutdown at the end of the week. And with the political drama came a little personal drama between two Republicans who don't seem to like each other very much. In a nutshell, Rep. Tim Burchett of...
Side With Dems
Nov 14, 2023 12:00 AM CST
8 Republicans Side With Dems in Mayorkas Impeachment Vote
House pushes off effort to impeach Homeland Security secretary
- The House voted Monday to push off a Republican effort to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending for now a threat against the Cabinet secretary that has been brewing ever since Republicans took the House majority in January, the AP reports. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene forced a vote on...
Funding Plan to GOP
Nov 11, 2023 4:45 PM CST
Johnson Announces Funding Plan to GOP
New speaker tells members this isn't his mess
- House Speaker Mike Johnson told his GOP conference on Saturday, with just five workdays left before the deadline, that he's decided on a plan to avoid a government shutdown. As crunch time approaches, the new speaker said, "I wasn't the architect of the mess we are in"...
Tries to Slash
Salary to $1
Nov 8, 2023 12:00 AM CST
House GOP Tries to Slash Buttigieg's Salary to $1
Though amendment is unlikely to go anywhere
- House Republicans on Tuesday once again used one of the chamber's rules to rebuke a member of the Biden administration, moving to reduce Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg's salary to $1. The salary cut was passed via voice vote as an amendment to a 2024 spending bill, Politico reports....
Expulsion Wouldn't Stop Him
From Running, Santos Says
Nov 4, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Expulsion Wouldn't Stop Him From Running, Santos Says
Republican, who faces federal charges, argues nobody cares about his falsified resume
- His colleagues may think they can kick Rep. George Santos out of the Congress, but his exile could be brief. A vote to expel the indicted New York freshman fell short on Wednesday night, but opponents could try again. Santos said Friday that if he does lose his seat before...
Meet the House's
Most Powerful Republican
Oct 25, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Meet the House's Most Powerful Republican
Lack of baggage helped Mike Johnson rise to the top
- House Speaker Mike Johnson's rise from relative obscurity to being the most powerful Republican in the House was a swift one. After more than three weeks without a speaker, House Republicans elected Johnson Tuesday around 16 hours after making him their latest nominee. In a post on X , the...
Mike Johnson to Be Least
Experienced Speaker in Century
Oct 25, 2023 12:58 PM CDT
Mike Johnson to Be Least Experienced Speaker in Century
He gets 220 votes from House Republicans
- The fourth time was a charm for House Republicans, who on Wednesday managed to come together and get one of their own over the 217 mark. In the House's fourth round of voting to elect a speaker following the ouster of Rep. Kevin McCarthy, Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana—...
Oct 25, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Trump Gives Mike Johnson the Thumbs-Up
'GET IT DONE, FAST!' advises the former president
- Could the fourth time be the charm for the House GOP? Politico seems to think so, noting that their pick of Rep. Mike Johnson as speaker nominee late Tuesday came with "no backbiting, no ultimatums, no snarky comments to reporters—just cheers and an overwhelming sense of relief."...
GOP Picks Yet Another
Nominee for House Speaker
Oct 25, 2023 12:08 AM CDT
GOP Picks Yet Another Nominee for House Speaker
This time it's Mike Johnson
- Here we go again: House Republicans on Tuesday night chose their fourth nominee for Speaker of the House since Kevin McCarthy was ousted. Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana won the majority behind closed doors, and was later surrounded by supportive colleagues at a press conference who chanted, "Mike! Mike!...
GOP Picks Another
Nominee for House Speaker
Oct 24, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
GOP Picks Another Nominee for House Speaker
Rep. Tom Emmer wins, but whether he can get enough votes in the full House is uncertain
- For the third time in as many weeks, Republicans have picked their nominee to become the next House speaker. Rep. Tom Emmer of Minnesota won on the fifth ballot Tuesday, though he has the same problem as Jim Jordan and Steve Scalise before him: It's unclear whether he can...
House GOP Looks
to Go From 8 Hopefuls to 1
Oct 24, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
House GOP Looks to Go From 8 Hopefuls to 1
Vote on speaker candidates set for 9am ET
- The three-week-old GOP leadership crisis could be resolved Tuesday, though some Republicans remain doubtful. House Republicans will gather at 9am ET to vote again for speaker after denying Majority Leader Steve Scalise and Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan. They'll choose between the eight candidates that remained on Monday night...
A Top Contender in Speaker's
Race Has a Trump Problem
Oct 23, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
A Top Contender in Speaker's Race Has a Trump Problem
Former president does not like Tom Emmer
- If you're tired of reading stories about the House's inability to elect a speaker , you are not alone. A
survey suggests that 67% of Americans want the House to put a speaker in place ASAP. The sentiment is bipartisan, though more pronounced among Democrats, with 86%...
Republicans Now Have
Lots of Speaker Candidates
Oct 21, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Republicans Now Have Lots of Speaker Candidates
Caucus will hear pitches on Monday, with no House vote possible before Tuesday
- It didn't take long on Friday after House Republicans rescinded their speaker nomination of Rep. Jim Jordan for volunteers for the job to step forward. Before the day was out, 10 members had said they're in or seriously considering a run, Axios reports. More than one of them...
House GOP Abandons
Jordan for Speakership
Oct 20, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
House GOP Abandons Jordan for Speakership
He's no longer speaker nominee after losing three rounds of voting in the full House
- Jim Jordan didn't just lose another round of voting for the House speakership on Friday—he also lost his status as "speaker nominee" within the GOP conference, reports the Hill . Republicans held a secret ballot Friday afternoon to strip Jordan of the title, which he earned last week...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.