Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oklahoma Executes Man Who
Killed Elderly Couple in 2003
Jan 13, 2023 4:19 AM CST
Oklahoma Executes Man Who Killed Elderly Couple in 2003
Anti-death penalty spiritual adviser was allowed in chamber for Scott Eizember execution
- Oklahoma executed a man Thursday who was convicted of killing an elderly couple and committing other crimes 20 years ago before authorities caught up to him in Texas after a manhunt. Scott James Eizember, 62, received a lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester and was pronounced dead...
Oklahoma to Allow
in Death Chamber
Jan 12, 2023 4:21 AM CST
Oklahoma to Allow Anti-Execution Minister in Death Chamber
U-turn will prevent delay to execution of Scott Eizember, officials say
- Oklahoma prison officials said Wednesday that they will allow an anti-death penalty minister with a history of protest-related arrests inside the execution chamber for Thursday's lethal injection of death row inmate Scott Eizember. Department of Corrections Director Steven Harpe said he reversed his earlier decision not to allow the...
He Had Wife Killed,
Wouldn't Look at Son
as He Awaited Execution
Jan 11, 2023 12:32 AM CST
He Had Wife Killed, Wouldn't Look at Son as He Awaited Execution
Texas executes ex-cop who hired 2 people to murder his estranged wife
- A former suburban Houston police officer was executed Tuesday for hiring two people to kill his estranged wife nearly 30 years ago amid a contentious divorce and custody battle, the AP reports. Robert Fratta, 65, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for the November 1994 fatal...
Jan 4, 2023 1:04 AM CST
US Executes First Transgender Inmate
Missouri puts transgender woman to death
- A Missouri inmate was put to death Tuesday for a 2003 killing, in what is believed to be the first execution of a transgender woman in the US, the AP reports. (It's thought to be the country's first execution of any openly transgender person, male or female, CNN...
Would Be US First
Jan 2, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Execution of Transgender Woman Would Be US First
Missouri inmate Amber McLaughlin is scheduled to die on Tuesday
- Unless Missouri Gov. Mike Parson grants clemency, Amber McLaughlin, 49, will become the first openly transgender woman executed in the US. She is scheduled to die by injection Tuesday for killing a former girlfriend in 2003, the AP reports. McLaughlin’s attorney, Larry Komp, said there are no court appeals...
2022 Will Go Down
as the 'Year of the
Dec 26, 2022 5:00 PM CST
2022 Will Go Down as the 'Year of the Botched Execution'
35% of those attempted were 'visibly problematic'
- Among the various things we'll remember 2022 for, death penalty researchers add an ignoble item to the list: botched executions, and a lot of them. The Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) in its year-end report found that the number of people who were executed in the US—18—was...
'Deeply Remorseful' Killer
Dec 15, 2022 4:09 AM CST
Mississippi Executes 'Deeply Remorseful' Killer
Thomas Edwin Loden Jr. kidnapped, raped, murdered 16-year-old girl in 2000
- A man who pleaded guilty to raping and killing a 16-year-old girl was put to death by lethal injection in Mississippi on Wednesday, becoming the second inmate executed in the state in 10 years. A coroner pronounced Thomas Edwin Loden Jr., 58, dead at 6:12pm at the Mississippi State...
Oregon's Death Row
Gets Sentence Commuted
Dec 14, 2022 6:21 AM CST
Everyone on Oregon's Death Row Gets Sentence Commuted
Gov. Kate Brown says action was taken because death penalty is 'immoral'
- Oregon's death row will soon be empty. Gov. Kate Brown is commuting the death sentences of all 17 people on it to sentences of life without the possibility of parole, she announced Tuesday. Declaring that the death penalty "cannot be and never has been administered fairly and equitably,...
Executions Continue in Iran
Dec 12, 2022 4:23 AM CST
Executions Continue in Iran
A 2nd protester is hanged less than a month after alleged crime
- Iran said Monday it executed a second prisoner detained and convicted amid nationwide protests challenging the country's theocracy, airing footage on state television it claimed showed him stabbing two men to death and running away. The public hanging of Majidreza Rahnavard, less than a month after he allegedly carried...
Iran Hangs the
First of Its Protesters
Dec 8, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Iran Hangs the First of Its Protesters
Mohsen Shekari, 23, was accused of attacking a security official with a knife
- Iran has carried out the first execution of an anti-government protester convicted over recent unrest triggered by the death of Mahsa Amini. Mohsen Shekari, 23, who in a video shared by state media admitted to attacking a member of a volunteer paramilitary force with a knife or machete and blocking...
In Taliban's First
Dec 7, 2022 11:44 AM CST
In Taliban's First Public Execution, Victim's Father Pulls Trigger
Man who confessed to 2017 stabbing is shot dead
- In November, the Taliban's supreme leader told judges that Shariah and its associated punishments should be fully enforced. One of those punishments, public executions, was imposed on Wednesday in Afghanistan, in what the BBC reports is believed to be the Taliban's first public execution since it regained power...
Won't Be Subjected to
Lethal Injection Again
Nov 30, 2022 8:51 AM CST
'Execution Survivor' Won't Be Subjected to Lethal Injection Again
Any future effort to execute Alan Eugene Miller will be done by nitrogen hypoxia
- Alabama won't seek another lethal injection date for an inmate whose Sept. 22 execution had been halted because of problems establishing an intravenous line, according to the terms of a settlement agreement approved by US District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. on Tuesday. The state agreed to never use...
Lawyer: 'Tonight ...
Missouri Killed Kevin
Because He Is Black'
Nov 30, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Lawyer: 'Tonight ... Missouri Killed Kevin Because He Is Black'
Kevin Johnson died by lethal injection Tuesday night
- A Missouri man convicted of ambushing and killing a St. Louis area police officer he blamed in the death of his younger brother was executed Tuesday night, the AP reports. Kevin Johnson, 37, died after an injection of pentobarbital at the state prison in Bonne Terre. It was the state’...
Daughter Not Permitted to
Witness Dad's Execution
Nov 26, 2022 5:20 AM CST
Daughter Not Permitted to Witness Dad's Execution
Kevin Johnson is scheduled to be executed Nov. 29; his daughter is 19
- Khorry Ramey will not be able to watch her father die, a judge ruled on Friday. The 19-year-old Missouri woman's father, Kevin Johnson, is scheduled to be put to death Tuesday for the 2005 killing of a police officer, and a judge found the state law preventing her from...
on an Execution,
and Suffered for It
Nov 25, 2022 2:50 PM CST
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
Those who saw a prison execution tell NPR they do not support the death penalty
- Four executions were carried out in the US this week . While the names of the condemned and some of the details of their final moments are known, there's an entire group of people that the same can't be said for: those who prepare for and carry out the...
Saudi Arabia Has Resumed
Executing Drug Offenders
Nov 23, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Saudi Arabia Has Resumed Executing Drug Offenders
17 have been beheaded in the space of 2 weeks
- After a 21-month hiatus on executing people for drug offenses, Saudi Arabia appears to be trying to make up for lost time. The United Nations says the kingdom has executed 17 people for drug and contraband offenses over the past two weeks, including four Syrians, three Pakistanis, three Jordanians, and...
Alabama Calls for
Halt to Executions
Nov 22, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Alabama Calls for Halt to Executions
Political scientist Austin Sarat wants to see the 'insane' method ended across the country
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has called for a stop to executions in the state after two failed attempts at lethal injections—a problem on display in other states this week. In a Monday release, following the failed executions of Kenneth Smith on Nov. 17 and Alan Miller on Sept. 22,...
'Today's a Day for Adam,'
Child's Killer Says at Execution
Nov 18, 2022 3:53 AM CST
'Today's a Day for Adam,' Child's Killer Says at Execution
Oklahoma executes Richard Stephen Fairchild for 1993 murder of 3-year-old
- Oklahoma executed a man Thursday for the torture slaying of his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son in 1993, the third of four scheduled executions in the US over a two-day stretch. Richard Stephen Fairchild, who turned 63 on Thursday, received a lethal three-drug combination at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester....
Scheduled Execution Takes
Several Twists and Turns
Nov 18, 2022 12:36 AM CST
Scheduled Execution Takes Several Twists and Turns
Alabama ultimately called off the planned execution of Kenneth Smith
- An appellate court on Thursday night issued a stay halting the scheduled execution of Alabama inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith, and the state then appealed to the US Supreme Court—which vacated the stay, theoretically allowing the 57-year-old's lethal injection to proceed. But the SCOTUS decision was issued just hours...
SCOTUS Allows Texas
Execution to Proceed
Nov 17, 2022 8:47 AM CST
SCOTUS Allows Texas Execution to Proceed
2 more executions are scheduled for Thursday
- There were 11 executions in the US in 2021, the lowest total in decades, but that number has already been surpassed this year, with more executions to come. In Texas, Stephen Barbee was executed Wednesday evening for the murders of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and her 7-year-old son in 2005. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.