Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Legacy of Old Lead Cables
Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Jul 18, 2023 9:59 AM CDT
Legacy of Old Lead Cables Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Shares plunging after a 'Wall Street Journal' investigation into the dangers
- One of the big business stories percolating over the last week involves plunging share prices at telecom companies in general and AT&T in particular. On Monday, for example, AT&T's stock fell another 7% to reach a 30-year low, reports Reuters . The culprit: A damning investigation by the...
AT&T Shuts Down 3G,
and Impact Could Be Wide
Feb 22, 2022 12:54 PM CST
AT&T Shuts Down 3G, and Impact Could Be Wide
It might affect everything from car navigation systems to home alarms
- If your home alarm or even your vehicle's roadside assistance system starts going kerblewy in the next few days, it might have something to do with this: AT&T is shutting down its 3G network as of Tuesday, reports CNN . The move is part of a shift on the...
After Dire Warning, a
Change to 5G Rollout
Jan 19, 2022 12:18 AM CST
After Dire Warning, a Change to 5G Rollout
AT&T, Verizon delay turning on some of the new 5G cell towers
- AT&T and Verizon will delay launching new wireless service near key airports after the nation’s largest airlines said the service would interfere with aircraft technology and cause widespread flight disruptions, the AP reports. The decision from the companies came Tuesday as the Biden administration intervened to broker a...
Airlines Have a Dire
Warning on 5G Rollout
Jan 18, 2022 6:48 AM CST
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
They say it could lead to 'catastrophic' flight disruptions
- Verizon and AT&T are set to deploy new 5G service Wednesday—and in a letter to federal officials Monday, major airlines warned there could be "catastrophic" consequences. As Axios notes, the dispute between the airlines and the wireless companies has been going on a while, with the aviation...
Report: 90% of OAN Network's
Revenue Came From AT&T
Oct 6, 2021 4:43 PM CDT
Report: 90% of OAN Network's Revenue Came From AT&T
Founder testified in 2019 that company execs inspired him to create network
- The right-wing, fiercely pro-Donald Trump One America News Network is often seen as a fringe player in American media—but its inspiration, and most of its revenue, came from the country's largest communication company, a Reuters investigation finds. Court records reveal that OAN founder Robert Herring has testified that...
Slide for a Second Day
May 18, 2021 3:48 PM CDT
AT&T, Discovery Slide for a Second Day
Late drop in tech stocks left indexes lower
- An afternoon drop led by big technology stocks left major market indexes broadly lower on Wall Street Tuesday. The S&P 500 lost 0.9%, with most of those losses coming in the last hour of trading. Apple, Facebook, and Google’s parent company all lost 1% or more. Walmart...
AT&T Joins With Discovery
to Create New Media Titan
May 17, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
AT&T Joins With Discovery to Create New Media Titan
New TV, film, and streaming company will compete against Netflix, Disney
- AT&T will combine its massive media operations that include CNN, HBO, TNT, and TBS in a $43 billion deal with Discovery, the owner of lifestyle networks including the Food Network and HGTV. The deal reflects a new reality for the industry: Faced with cord-cutting and incursions by streaming services,...
Frustrated AT&T Customer
Chides Company in $1,100 Ad
Feb 5, 2021 8:24 AM CST
Frustrated AT&T Customer Chides Company in $1,100 Ad
90-year-old says slow Internet is 'major disappointment'
- A California man frustrated with slow Internet service from AT&T has spent $1,100 trying to get the CEO's attention. In a quarter-page ad published in the
Wall Street Journal
Wednesday, 90-year-old Aaron Epstein tells CEO John Stankey that he has been a customer since 1960—and the...
Blame AT&T for Warner Bros.'
Controversial HBO Max Plan
Dec 9, 2020 12:07 AM CST
Blame AT&T for Warner Bros.' Controversial HBO Max Plan
Telecom giant has different priorities, Edmund Lee argues
- Theater chains and big Hollywood names are furious at Warner Bros.' plan to simultaneously release all of its 2021 movies at theaters and on HBO Max, the streaming service owned by WarnerMedia. At the
New York Times
, Edmund Lee has an explanation for the controversial move: AT&T...
Female CEOs Just Made
a Record Fortune 500 List
May 19, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Female CEOs Just Made a Record Fortune 500 List
37 of the companies in the annual ranking are run by women—a record high
- This year's Fortune 500 list is out, and the top 10 companies are the same ones that made it in 2019, with Walmart in the No. 1 spot for the eighth year in a row. The real story attracting buzz, though, is that 37 of the companies are led...
Surprise for Boston
Apr 13, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
John Krasinski Has Sweet Surprise for Boston Hospital Workers
A trip to Fenway, free season tickets, and a sincere thank-you
- Some celebrity offerings amid the coronavirus aren't landing so well . John Krasinski seems to be a big exception to the rule. His no-frills "Some Good News" series on YouTube already has featured a reunion of sorts between him and Steve Carell about
. And his new episode...
Did You Get a
Weird Text This
May Be Why
Nov 8, 2019 9:55 AM CST
Did You Get a Weird Text This Week? This May Be Why
Telecom glitch caused people to get 'ghost' texts from people who didn't send them
- If you recently received a strange text that doesn't make any sense from someone you know, you're not alone—and a Maine radio station appears to have helped solve the mystery. Per
, lots of head-scratching has been happening over the past couple of days, with people...
a Boycott of AT&T
Jun 3, 2019 11:14 AM CDT
Trump Suggests a Boycott of AT&T
President criticizes CNN, and this time he includes its parent company
- President Trump isn't letting world travel hamper his tweeting habits. On Monday, after arriving in the UK for his three-day visit, Trump unleashed criticism on a familiar target—CNN. But this time, he suggested that people start boycotting parent company AT&T, reports Politico . In his first tweet, Trump...
'Seismic' for HBO
Mar 1, 2019 1:23 PM CST
Resignation Is 'Seismic' for HBO
CEO Richard Plepler is out following AT&T takeover
- The man who helped bring
Game of Thrones
to the small screen is out at HBO. "Hard as it is to think about leaving the company I love, and the people I love in it, it is the right time for me to do so," Chairman and CEO...
A Giant Merger Is Cleared,
Despite DOJ Objections
Feb 26, 2019 11:16 AM CST
A Giant Merger Is Cleared, Despite DOJ Objections
Appeals court blesses AT&T acquisition of Time Warner
- A federal appeals court has cleared AT&T's takeover of Time Warner, rejecting a challenge from the Trump administration, per the AP . The ruling by the US Court of Appeals in Washington came Tuesday in the high-stakes case, approving one of the biggest media marriages ever. The appeals court...
Workers Claim AT&T Went
Back on Tax Plan Promise
Aug 28, 2018 10:49 AM CDT
Workers Claim AT&T Went Back on Tax Plan Promise
But the company disagrees
- Employees are calling out AT&T for what they say are lost jobs amid fat profits. Communication Workers of America members say AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson promised to spend at least $1 billion on capital projects that would create 7,000 jobs if the Republican tax plan passed, reports...
DOJ Appeals Judge's Decision
on AT&T-Time Warner Deal
Jul 12, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
DOJ Appeals Judge's Decision on AT&T-Time Warner Deal
A judge ruled last month that the Department of Justice failed to show the deal violated anti-trust law
- The US Department of Justice has filed an appeal of a judge's decision last month to allow a merger of AT&T and Time Warner. The AP reports that the DOJ filed the appeal Thursday in a bid to block the deal, which federal officials argue would make the...
Judge OKs AT&T Merger
With Time Warner
Jun 12, 2018 3:57 PM CDT
Judge OKs AT&T Merger With Time Warner
Approves merger government had moved to block
- A federal judge approved the $85 billion mega-merger of AT&T and Time Warner on Tuesday, a move that could usher in a wave of media consolidation while shaping how much consumers pay for streaming TV and movies. US District Judge Richard Leon green-lit the merger without adding major conditions...
How You Can React to
the End of Net Neutrality
Jun 11, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
How You Can React to the End of Net Neutrality
Some recommended steps, including actually caring about 'terms of service' updates
- June 11 isn't just the day that IHOP reveals what IHOb means: It's also the day that net neutrality is officially no more, a move put in place by a December FCC vote . The Obama-era rule forced internet service providers (ISPs) like Comcast and AT&T to treat...
AT&T Ousts Executive Who
Paid Michael Cohen $600K
May 11, 2018 10:06 AM CDT
AT&T Ousts Executive Who Paid Michael Cohen $600K
'Big mistake,' writes chief executive Randall Stephenson
- AT&T is one of the companies that paid big money to Michael Cohen after President Trump's election to take advantage of his close ties to the president. "Big mistake," chief executive Randall Stephenson writes in a company email now in wide circulation in the media. What'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.