Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Activists Behind 'Despicable'
Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Dec 2, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Jack Burkman, Jacob Wohl tried to suppress Black votes in 2020
- After a 2020 robocalling scheme that tried to dissuade tens of thousands of voters in multiple Midwestern states from casting their ballots by mail in that year's election, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl were hit with a $5 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission; in October, the far-right...
Jury Returns Guilty Verdict in
Slayings of 8 Family Members
Nov 30, 2022 5:06 PM CST
Jury Returns Guilty Verdict in Slayings of 8 Family Members
George Wagner IV claimed he didn't know the Ohio killings were planned
- Jurors convicted a man Wednesday in the killings of eight people from another Ohio family after weighing his denials and other testimony against the word of witnesses, including his brother and mother, who previously pleaded guilty for their roles. George Wagner IV, 31, was found guilty of eight counts of...
After Mink Release, Plow
Brought In to Clear Carcasses
Nov 16, 2022 2:30 AM CST
After Mink Release, Plow Brought In to Clear Carcasses
Vandals released up to 40K of them from farm, and 10K remain unaccounted for
- Vandals freed thousands of minks at a rural northwest Ohio farm, leaving an estimated 10,000 of the small carnivorous mammals unaccounted for Tuesday evening, the local sheriff said. So many minks were killed crossing a nearby road that a plow was brought in to help clear the carcasses away,...
An Iconic Ohio
Home Is Up for Grabs
Nov 15, 2022 10:19 AM CST
An Iconic Ohio Home Is Up for Grabs
Cleveland house used in 'A Christmas Story,' plus a museum and gift shop, has been listed
- You could spend Christmas—and every other day of the year—in the house made famous by
A Christmas Story
. The century-old home in Cleveland, used to house the family of Ralphie Parker in the 1983 film, is up for sale as part of a listing that includes a museum,...
Toledo Plans to Use
$1.6M to Wipe Out $240M
in Medical Debt
Nov 14, 2022 1:17 PM CST
Toledo Plans to Use $1.6M to Wipe Out $240M in Medical Debt
Ohio city is working with nonprofit that buys old debts from hospitals
- "Washington might not have a plan for medical debt relief, but Toledo, Ohio, does," says Dr. Michele Grim, a city council member who led an effort to forgive up to $240 million in medical debt—for a lot less than $240 million. The council has passed a measure...
Routine Traffic Stop Over
Taillight Takes an Unusual Turn
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 12, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Routine Traffic Stop Over Taillight Takes an Unusual Turn
Hannah Warren, 25, allegedly stole car while police were with driver, led cops on high-speed chase
- Call it the perfect crime of opportunity, though not so perfect that the alleged perpetrator didn't get caught. Cops in Buchtel, Ohio, pulled over a 2017 Nissan SUV on Oct. 29, driven by one Kevin McDonald, for a rear taillight violation, reports WCHS . McDonald was the subject of an...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
2 Alleged 'Boogaloo'
Members Arrested in 2 States
Nov 3, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
2 Alleged 'Boogaloo' Members Arrested in 2 States
One suspect threatened to kill police officers, federal informants, FBI complaint says
- The FBI has arrested two alleged members of the far-right anti-government group the Boogaloo Boys, with authorities increasingly concerned about the potential for violence in the lead-up to next week's midterm elections. Timothy Teagan appeared Wednesday in federal court in Detroit on charges of being a drug user in...
Into Car Dealership
Oct 18, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Plane Crashes Into Car Dealership
2 killed, but nobody on the ground was injured in Marietta, Ohio
- A plane crash early Tuesday left two dead and sent flames and billowing smoke over the small city of Marietta, Ohio, reports CNN . The crash occurred around 7:15am, when a twin-engine 1974 Beechcraft King Air E90 went down in the parking lot of a Buick dealership. A spokesman for...
Ohio Runner's Ear
Nearly Severed by Deer
Oct 12, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Ohio Runner's Ear Nearly Severed by Deer
Rebecca Heasley was participating in a local race
- An Ohio woman who was running a two-hour "Space Race" on Oct. 1 ended up having a frighteningly out-of-this-world experience. As Rebecca Heasley of Willowick explains, she initially thought she was hit by another runner who got too close to her. Then she saw blood on her hands. A...
At Football Game, 'Every School
District's Worst Nightmare'
Oct 8, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
At Football Game, 'Every School District's Worst Nightmare'
3 shot outside stadium at Toledo's Whitmer High School; victims are expected to recover
- A Friday night football game at an Ohio high school ended in chaos after three people were shot outside the stadium while the game was taking place. Per ABC News , the shooting happened on the outskirts of the field at Toledo's Whitmer High School, which was playing Central Catholic....
Judges in Ariz.,
Oct 8, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Judges in Ariz., Ohio Make Rulings on Abortion Bans
Procedure can once more take place in these 2 states, at least for now
- Abortions can take place again in Arizona, at least for now, after an appeals court on Friday blocked enforcement of a pre-statehood law that almost entirely criminalized the procedure. The three-judge panel of the Arizona Court of Appeals agreed with Planned Parenthood that a judge shouldn't have lifted the...
Suspiciously Heavy Fish
Lead to Chaos at Tournament
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 8, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Team disqualified in Ohio after their walleyes were found stuffed with weights, fillets
- First the chess world was rocked by cheating allegations . Now, it's joined by the competitive fishing world. Video started making the rounds over the weekend promoting a "serious controversy" out of Ohio, in which a two-man team is now accused of stuffing their entries in a local tournament...
Suit: Raped Minors,
Denied Abortions in Ohio
Sep 28, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
Suit: Raped Minors, Cancer Patients Denied Abortions in Ohio
Judge extends pause on 'heartbeat' law
- A judge has extended a pause on Ohio's "heartbeat" law banning almost all abortions in the state. The law bans abortion after around five or six weeks—before many women know they're pregnant—and court filings in the case detailed its impact on women and girls in...
Sep 27, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
NFL Star Rolls His Porsche After Practice
All-Pro Myles Garrett of the Cleveland Browns is out of the hospital
- Cleveland Browns star defensive end Myles Garrett was released from a hospital late Monday night after he was injured when he rolled over his Porsche while driving on a rural Ohio road following practice. Garrett suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the one-car wreck, per the AP . He'd been taken to...
Republicans Skip Ohio Debates
Sep 21, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Republicans Skip Ohio Debates
Democratic candidates for Senate, governor accept invitations
- An independent commission in Ohio canceled a pair of debates in the state's races for governor and US Senate on Wednesday because the Republican candidates declined to participate. The Ohio Debate Commission expressed disappointment that neither GOP Gov. Mike DeWine nor Republican Senate nominee JD Vance accepted their invitations—...
Self-Proclaimed 'African Prince'
Fleeced Investors of $800K
Sep 20, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Self-Proclaimed 'African Prince' Fleeced Investors of $800K
Ohio's Daryl Robert Harrison, who called himself a 'prince' and 'prophet,' convicted of fraud
- An Ohio man claiming to be a prince from Ghana conned more than a dozen people out of $800,000 before his scheme blew up. Daryl Robert Harrison, who posed as the "prince" or "prophet" Daryl R. Attipoe, was convicted Friday of mail and wire fraud, conspiracy to...
Prosecutor: Killers of 8
Wanted No Witnesses Left
Sep 12, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Prosecutor: Killers of 8 Wanted No Witnesses Left
Defense says defendant isn't like others in accused Ohio family
- A custody dispute between two families that erupted into the massacre of eight people in rural southern Ohio started with a plan to kill just one of them, a young mother refusing to give up her daughter, a prosecutor said Monday. But months before the killings in 2016, the family...
After 12 Years of 'Heinous
Evil,' Relief for
Sep 12, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
After 12 Years of 'Heinous Evil,' Relief for
Man who stalked 'CSI: Miami' actress Eva LaRue sentenced to 3 years behind bars
- For more than 12 years, Eva LaRue and her daughter were subjected to dozens of menacing letters and packages, with the sender threatening to rape, torture, and kill them. Now, "finally, we know where he is," the
All My Children
actor told NBC News on...
CDC Gives OK to Go to
Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
Sep 5, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
CDC Gives OK to Go to Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
6 states report illnesses, with most of those sick saying they ate Wendy's meals with romaine lettuce
- An E. coli surge in four states has now made its way to an additional two states. The CDC reports that New York and Kentucky have joined the list of states affected by the outbreak, including Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, the latter of which has seen 58 of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.