Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Man Charged With Starting
Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
May 19, 2023 1:41 AM CDT
Man Charged With Starting Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
New Zealand hostel fire death toll adjusted down to 5, but searchers not yet done at scene
- New Zealand police on Friday lowered the confirmed death toll from a Wellington hostel fire from six people to five, although they said they still haven't finished searching the dangerous four-story building. And in another development, a man charged with two counts of arson in connection with the fire...
Cops 'Amazed to See That
Somebody Survived This'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Cops 'Amazed to See That Somebody Survived This'
Donald Schmelling, 84, of Kenosha, Wisconsin, is pulled from burning van in the nick of time
- An elderly Wisconsin man is lucky to be alive after police pulled him from a burning vehicle Tuesday. Kenosha police officers tried to stop the 84-year-old driver around 9pm local time after noticing he had a flat tire. "I was looking for a place to stop and all of...
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames
After Alleged Drone Attack
Apr 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames After Alleged Drone Attack
Russian official in Sevastopol blames Ukrainian drones; Ukraine hasn't taken responsibility
- A massive fire erupted at an oil depot in Crimea after it was hit by two of Ukraine's drones, a Russia-appointed official there reported Saturday, the latest in a series of attacks on the annexed peninsula as Russia braces for an expected Ukrainian counteroffensive. Mikhail Razvozhayev, the Moscow-installed governor...
'Everything Is Burning:'
Fires Gobble Russian Villages
Apr 26, 2023 6:44 AM CDT
'Everything Is Burning:' Fires Gobble Russian Villages
Reports suggest fires broke out in different locales, leveling scores of homes, leaving at least 1 dead
- At least one person is dead and nearly 200 buildings have been destroyed in fires raging through Russia. Six "massive" fires were burning in the Sverdlovsk region on Tuesday and Wednesday, the Anadolu Agency reports. The Russian Emergency Ministry said 178 buildings were destroyed, including 134 homes and 32...
Blamed for Deadly Fire
Apr 24, 2023 5:07 PM CDT
Restaurant's Specialty Blamed for Deadly Fire
Flaming pizza set plastic decorations on fire at Madrid restaurant, survivor says
- A Madrid restaurant that specializes in flambéed pizza—pizza briefly set alight after alcohol is poured on it—went up in flames Friday night after one of its pizzas came too close to plastic flower decorations. Officials say two people were killed and at least 12 others injured in...
Patients Used Bedsheets as
Ropes in Deadly Hospital Fire
Apr 18, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Patients Used Bedsheets as Ropes in Deadly Hospital Fire
At least 21 die in Beijing fire
- A fire killed at least 21 people at a hospital in Beijing on Tuesday and forced dozens of people to evacuate, Chinese state media reported. As clouds of black smoke billowed into the sky, people trapped in the multistory building apparently tied bedsheets into makeshift ropes and escaped by climbing...
Small Indiana City
Has to Deal With This
Apr 12, 2023 9:51 AM CDT
Small Indiana City Has to Deal With This
Large industrial fire in Richmond prompts evacuation order near former factory
- Authorities urged people to evacuate Tuesday near a large industrial fire in an Indiana city near the Ohio border that sent massive clouds of black smoke into the sky, per the AP . The fire occurred at a former factory site in Richmond, 70 miles east of Indianapolis, that lately had...
Mar 30, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
'Looks Like These Guards Didn't Have Any Training'
After deadly fire at Mexican migrant facility, guards could face murder charges
- Mexican prosecutors are treating a deadly fire at a migrant facility across the border from El Paso, Texas, on Monday as a possible homicide case. The fire at the federally operated detention center in Ciudad Juarez killed at least 39 men from Central and South America and injured dozens more,...
Fire That Killed 40
Was Started as Protest
Mar 28, 2023 6:27 PM CDT
Fire That Killed 40 Was Started as Protest
Video shows guards at Mexican migrant facility walked away after mattresses were set on fire
- Mexico President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said the fire that killed 40 people and injured 29 others at a detention center near the US border Monday night was started by migrants in protest after learning they would be deported. "They never imagined that this would cause this...
The French Are Really Mad
Mar 24, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
The French Are Really Mad
City Hall set ablaze in Bordeaux, cops clash with protesters in Paris over changes to pension system
- Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron bypassed Parliament and raised the age of retirement from 62 to 64, an unpopular move that left citizens "seething." Anger over the proposal has been bubbling up into strikes and protests since January, but the mostly peaceful demonstrations have also made way...
First the Smell of Gas, Then
Thunder, a Blast, and Fire
Mar 4, 2023 11:30 AM CST
First the Smell of Gas, Then Thunder, a Blast, and Fire
At least 18 dead after blaze at fuel storage depot in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Indonesian rescuers and firefighters on Saturday searched for more than a dozen missing people under the rubble of charred houses and buildings, after a large fire spread from a fuel storage depot in the capital and killed at least 18 people. The Plumpang fuel storage station, operated by state-run oil...
Seconds After Takeoff,
'Gasping' and 'Screaming'
Feb 8, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Seconds After Takeoff, 'Gasping' and 'Screaming'
United Airlines flight makes emergency landing after passenger's battery pack catches fire
- The Federal Aviation Administration posts warnings on its website about the dangers of lithium batteries, and for good reason: They can cause fires if not stored properly during transit. Passengers on a United Airlines flight Tuesday morning found that out firsthand, when the battery pack for a passenger's laptop...
Death Toll Hits 25 in
High-Rise Casino Fire
Dec 30, 2022 4:15 AM CST
Death Toll Hits 25 in High-Rise Casino Fire
More than 60 were injured, Cambodian authorities say
- The confirmed death toll from a massive fire at a casino hotel complex in Cambodia rose to 25 on Friday as the search resumed for victims, officials said. The blaze at the Grand Diamond City casino and hotel in the town of Poipet on the Thai border started around midnight...
'Nightmare' Fire Destroys
30 Years of NYPD Evidence
Dec 15, 2022 11:04 AM CST
'Nightmare' Fire Destroys 30 Years of NYPD Evidence
Forensic evidence in unsolved crimes lost in Tuesday's blaze at Erie Basin Auto Pound
- A New York Police Department warehouse burned Tuesday morning and along with it "the possibility of justice in untold cases," the
New York Times
reports, as "troves of evidence gathered over decades" were damaged or destroyed. The Erie Basin Auto Pound in Brooklyn held impounded vehicles, forensic...
They Came In With Paddles to
Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Nov 29, 2022 10:30 AM CST
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Family says dad died after fireball caused by defibrillator in Nashville hospital
- A Tennessee woman says her husband died on Thanksgiving after catching fire in a Nashville hospital, and now his family is speaking out to prevent something like this from happening again. Kathy Stark tells WKRN that earlier this month she had her spouse of 35 years, Bobby Ray, brought to...
Saved My Life
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 19, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Jay Leno: A Friend's Fast Thinking Saved My Life
Buddy jumped on TV host after he caught fire, smothering the flames
- Jay Leno might have died in the fire at his California garage if not for the action of his friend. In an interview with TMZ , the former
host and avid car collector says he was fixing a clogged fuel line on a 1907 White Steam Car— featured on...
Cops: Man Upset
Over Botched Meal
Oct 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Upset Over Botched Meal Torched Eatery
Choephel Norbu apparently flipped over not getting chicken biryani he wanted from Queens restaurant
- A Queens, NY, man is in hot water after he apparently got miffed over a screwed-up order at a Bangladeshi restaurant earlier this month and set the place on fire, according to court documents cited by NBC News . Security video shot early Oct. 2 outside Ittadi Garden & Grill in...
Wisconsin Fire Kills 7,
Criminal Inquiry Underway
Oct 21, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Wisconsin Fire Kills 7, Criminal Inquiry Underway
Blaze broke out in apartment building in Hartland
- Seven people died in an apartment fire early Friday in the southern Wisconsin village of Hartland, the police chief said. The cause of the fire at a four-unit apartment complex has not been determined, the AP reports. "This is an active criminal investigation by the Hartland Police Department,"...
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
A $1.2B Ship
Now, a Sailor
Hears His Fate
Oct 1, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
Ryan Sawyer Mays found not guilty of arson in 2020 burning of USS Bonhomme Richard
- A military judge has acquitted a 21-year-old sailor of arson charges after a 2020 fire destroyed a $1.2 billion Navy amphibious assault ship. Capt. Derek Butler, who oversaw the trial by court-martial for Seaman Recruit Ryan Sawyer Mays, handed down his not-guilty verdict on Friday, more than two years...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.