Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Dr. Deep Sea'
Jun 12, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
'Dr. Deep Sea' Resurfaces After 'Extreme' Endeavor
Dr. Joseph Dituri spent a record-breaking 100 days underwater for science in a Florida lagoon
- A university professor who spent 100 days living underwater at a Florida Keys lodge for scuba divers resurfaced Friday and raised his face to the sun for the first time since March 1. Dr. Joseph Dituri set a new record for the longest time living underwater without depressurization during his...
273 Cubans Stopped at Sea
After Florida Patrols Increase
Jan 9, 2023 5:55 PM CST
273 Cubans Stopped at Sea After Florida Patrols Increase
Around 700 migrants arrived in the Keys over New Year's weekend
- The US Coast Guard repatriated 273 migrants to Matanzas, Cuba, over the weekend following interdictions off the Florida Keys. More than 4,400 migrants from Cuba and Haiti have made their way by boat to the state since August, including 700 who arrived in the Keys over New Year's...
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy
Afloat After Shark Attack
Aug 16, 2022 2:04 PM CDT
Pool Noodle Keeps Boy Afloat After Shark Attack
Jameson Reeder Jr., 10, lost part of leg after attack in Florida Keys
- A 10-year-old who was snorkeling with his family in the Florida Keys on Saturday has lost the lower part of one of his legs after being attacked by a shark. Click Orlando reports Jameson Reeder Jr. was at Looe Key Reef around 4:30pm when what was suspected to be...
Deputies Shoot Pilot
After Florida Confrontation
Aug 11, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Deputies Shoot Pilot After Florida Confrontation
Sheriff says it appears to have been 'suicide by cop'
- In what appears to be a "suicide by cop," deputies in the Florida Keys fatally shot a pilot who was deputized to carry guns on planes, officials say. Lane Morgan Caviness, 48, was killed at a Key Largo home Wednesday following reports of an intoxicated, armed suicidal man,...
It Was 'Pretty Much
the Worst Thing You
Jun 1, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
It Was 'Pretty Much the Worst Thing You Could Imagine'
Parasailing accident off Marathon, Fla., leaves woman dead, 2 children injured
- A Memorial Day parasailing adventure turned into "pretty much the worst thing you could imagine," according to a witness of what became a deadly tragedy for a vacationing family in the Florida Keys. Supraja Alaparthi, 33, of Illinois was parasailing with her 10-year-old son and 9-year-old nephew off...
Billionaire Banker's Son
Killed by Boat Propeller
Mar 14, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Billionaire Banker's Son Killed by Boat Propeller
Juan Carlos Escotet Alviarez dove from vessel to rescue fiancee from water
- The son of a Spanish-Venezuelan banking billionaire was killed in a tragic accident at a fishing tournament in the Florida Keys Saturday. According to an accident report from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, when Juan Carlos Escotet Alviarez's fiancee fell from the stern of a 60-foot vessel, the...
Bundles of Drugs Keep
Washing Up in South Florida
May 24, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Bundles of Drugs Keep Washing Up in South Florida
People continue to find cocaine, marijuana on Sunshine State's beaches, especially in the Keys
- Last month, a beachgoer in Palm Beach stumbled upon 65 pounds of cocaine along the shoreline, a find worth $1.5 million. But that hasn't been an isolated incident in South Florida, where people continue to discover packages of drugs in the water and on local beaches, especially in...
Police: Fake Dating Profile
Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Police: Fake Dating Profile Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Suspect and victim have never met but have dated the same man
- The threatening texts and phone calls began in October. The 36-year-old Key West woman blocked the calls, only to have them start up again from other numbers. "You think texts are bad, next is your house and your job," Florida police said Vanessa Marie Huckaba told her at...
Takes on Shark
Sep 25, 2020 10:27 AM CDT
'Without Hesitation,' Pregnant Woman Takes on Shark
Margot Dukes Eddy jumped into Florida waters when she saw husband getting attacked
- An Atlanta couple's vacation in the Florida Keys took a terrifying turn last weekend, ending with a surprising rescue. Per the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, 30-year-old Andrew Eddy was on a private boat with his pregnant wife, Margot Dukes Eddy, and her family Sunday morning at Sombrero Reef...
Marco Is a Hurricane,
and It's Not Alone
Aug 23, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Marco Is a Hurricane, and It's Not Alone
Tropical Storm Laura is also headed for the US coast
- Marco became a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico Sunday on a path toward the Louisiana coast. Tropical Storm Laura battered the Dominican Republic and Haiti and headed to the same part of the US coast, also as a potential hurricane, the AP reports. It would be the first time...
Plan to Release
Gets Go Ahead
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 7:27 AM CDT
Plan to Release 750M GMO Mosquitoes Gets Go Ahead
Florida Keys residents aren't happy about 'Jurassic Park' experiment
- Male mosquitoes don't bite people—but Florida Keys residents still have concerns about plans to release 750 million of them in a mosquito control project starting next year. The plan to release the genetically modified
mosquitoes received final approval from local authorities Tuesday, causing an outcry from...
Cops: Teen Girl
Forced to Drive
May 25, 2020 4:47 AM CDT
Cops: Teen Girl Forced to Drive Couple Through Virus Checkpoint
Florida Keys are closed to non-residents
- A couple trying to get into the Florida Keys, which are currently closed to non-residents amid the coronavirus pandemic, allegedly kidnapped a teenage girl to get them through a checkpoint. Police say Alexander Michael Sardinas, 37, and a 43-year-old female companion first tried to get through alone while in a...
One-Ton Great White
Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Oct 29, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
One-Ton Great White Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Unama'ki, 2nd largest white shark tracked in NW Atlantic by nonprofit, started out in Nova Scotia
- A giant she-shark has been working her way down the East Coast from Canada, and her latest sighting is in the waters off of Florida. CNN reports the 1-ton great white—named Unama'ki, a term used by the Mi'kmaq First Nations people to mean "land of the...
Mysterious Killer Is Striking
Florida's Coral Reefs
May 16, 2018 6:34 PM CDT
Mysterious Killer Is Striking Florida's Coral Reefs
Scientists are racing to identify the pathogen and find a cure
- Something is turning healthy coral into ghostly skeletons along the Florida Reef Tract. As the third-largest barrier reef in the world, the 360-mile stretch of vitally important sea life provides a buffet of nutrients for plants and animals along the state's Atlantic coast. Now, scientists are racing to find...
Category 4, Bears
Down on South Fla.
Sep 10, 2017 5:36 AM CDT
Irma Regains Category 4, Bears Down on South Fla.
Winds at 130mph as massive storm shifts slightly west, throwing forecasters curveball
- Hurricane Irma regained strength as it closed in on the Florida Keys early Sunday and forecasters monitored a crucial shift in its trajectory—just a few miles to the west—that could keep its ferocious eye off the southwest Florida coast and over warm Gulf water. The hurricane re-strengthened to...
A 1935 Florida Hurricane
'Sandblasted' People to Death
Sep 7, 2017 1:12 PM CDT
A 1935 Florida Hurricane 'Sandblasted' People to Death
Inside the Great Labor Day Hurricane
- The strongest landfall in US history was the Great Labor Day Hurricane, whose 185mph winds walloped Florida's Upper Keys in 1935. The
in August 2015 took a look back at the deadly storm on its 80th anniversary, opening with this ominous line: It "was so powerful...
How the Search for an Elusive
Fish Led to Filmmaker's Death
Feb 8, 2017 4:44 PM CST
How the Search for an Elusive Fish Led to Filmmaker's Death
Rob Stewart disappeared while diving off the Florida Keys
- On Jan. 31, Rob Stewart surfaced from his third dive of the day off the Florida Keys and gave the OK sign. Three days later, the award-winning documentary filmmaker's body was found on the ocean floor .
dives into what went wrong and the one question that persists following...
Body of Filmmaker Who
Disappeared in Florida Found
Feb 4, 2017 10:55 AM CST
Body of Filmmaker Who Disappeared in Florida Found
Rob Stewart was diving in the Florida Keys when his crew lost sight of him
- The body of an award-winning Canadian filmmaker was found Friday, three days after he disappeared while diving in the Florida Keys, the BBC reports. Rob Stewart, 37, was diving at the site of a shipwreck Tuesday while filming a sequel to his 2006 documentary
. He disappeared after surfacing following...
Feb 1, 2017 4:04 PM CST
Filmmaker Disappears While Diving Off Florida Keys
Rob Stewart may have passed out while diving near a shipwreck
- A well-known underwater filmmaker from Canada is missing in the Florida Keys. CBC reports 37-year-old Rob Stewart was filming at the site of a shipwreck for a sequel to his 2006 documentary
on Tuesday evening. Stewart and his diving partner were using closed-circulation rebreathing devices, which are good for...
Next in GMO: Mosquitoes?
Jan 25, 2015 1:03 PM CST
Next in GMO: Mosquitoes?
FDA is reviewing whether to unleash them in Florida Keys
- No word on whether "annoying buzzing" can be genetically eliminated, but the FDA is looking at whether it will allow genetically modified mosquitoes to be unleashed in the Florida Keys, in the name of stopping the spread of Dengue and chikungunya viruses. As the AP reports, British researchers have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.