Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Abortion Rights Protections on
November Ballots in 2 States
Jun 28, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Abortion Rights Protections on November Ballots in 2 States
California, Vermont will have amendments to state constitutions put to public vote in midterms
- With so-called "trigger laws" on abortion bans starting to kick in across the nation, some states are going on the offensive to protect access to the procedure. ABC30 reports that the California Assembly on Monday gave the green light to an amendment to the state's constitution, which will...
Jury Awards $21M in Killing
of Pregnant Teen by Police
Jun 27, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Jury Awards $21M in Killing of Pregnant Teen by Police
Elena Mondragon was in car with robbery suspect when cops tried to pull them over
: The family of a pregnant teenager who was shot and killed by undercover police officers in 2017 has been awarded $21 million by a federal jury. The verdict was reached Friday, the AP reports. John Burris, the family's lawyer, said the jury split culpability between the man driving...
California's Biggest Landowner
Closes Forests to Public
Jun 27, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
Sierra Pacific Industries cites wildfire risk
- Sierra Pacific Industries, the largest private landowner in America, says its forest lands in California will be closed to the public starting Friday. The company, which owns 2.33 million acres of land in California, Oregon, and Washington, normally allows the public to use land that isn't being actively...
Good Samaritans Save
California Shark Attack Victim
Jun 23, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
Good Samaritans Save California Shark Attack Victim
Nurse, police officer were paddleboarding when they heard cries for help
- A swimmer was seriously injured in a rare shark attack off California's central coast Wednesday—but he survived with the help of paddleboarders who rushed to the rescue. Officials say the man was attacked just after 10:30am at Lovers Point Beach in Pacific Grove, Monterey County, NBC News...
Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Jun 22, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Tesla 'Spontaneously Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Electric vehicle had been damaged in a crash weeks before
- A Tesla Model S had been sitting in a scrapyard for three weeks following a collision when it spontaneously burst into flames this month, then kept re-igniting, transforming into "a heap of melted and burned metal," per the
. The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District described how the...
'They Were Able to Do
What No One Else Has Done'
Jun 22, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'They Were Able to Do What No One Else Has Done'
US Marshals Service releases new age-progressed images of Alcatraz escapees
- The US Marshals Service wins this week's prize for persistence. The law enforcement agency has a new APB out for a trio of notorious escaped inmates, even though it's now been more than six decades since they busted out and they'd all be well into their 90s....
As They Readied
for Their Flights, an
Jun 18, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
As They Readied for Their Flights, an Unwelcome Interruption
Cops say man with 'edged weapon' attacked 3 at San Francisco airport; victims' injuries were minor
- Three people were injured Friday evening at San Francisco International Airport after police say a man with an "edged weapon" attacked them. Authorities say the suspect, whom they haven't named, drove to the airport around 6pm, parked, and then walked into the departure terminal, reports NBC News . In...
In Crisis, Southern Baptists
Agree to Track Alleged Abusers
Jun 15, 2022 1:58 PM CDT
In Crisis, Southern Baptists Agree to Track Alleged Abusers
Texas pastor Bart Barber also elected SBC president at national meeting
- The Southern Baptist Convention voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to create a way to track pastors and other church workers credibly accused of sex abuse and launch a new task force to oversee further reforms in the nation's largest Protestant denomination. The vote came three weeks after the release of a...
Woman Flees Home, Describes
Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Woman Flees Home, Describes Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Peter McGuire of Chino Hills, Calif., arrested Saturday, is held without bail
- Though a sheriff's deputy responded numerous times to a California home where a young woman was held captive and tortured over six months, help remained elusive until she managed to escape on her own Thursday, according to authorities. The 22-year-old woman, who'd unknowingly moved in with a man...
Cops Killed in Motel Shootout:
'These 2 Men Were Loved'
Jun 15, 2022 8:21 AM CDT
Cops Killed in Motel Shootout: 'These 2 Men Were Loved'
Suspect also died at scene in El Monte, Calif.
- Two police officers were killed Tuesday in a shootout while investigating a possible stabbing in a suburban Los Angeles motel, and the suspect died at the scene, authorities said. The El Monte officers—a veteran of more than 22 years and a rookie with less than a year on the...
Graffiti Artists Hit
Yet Another National Park
Jun 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Graffiti Artists Hit Yet Another National Park
This time, dozens of sites were vandalized with spray paint at California's Yosemite
- If you visited Yosemite National Park in mid-May, you may be of assistance to the National Park Service in nabbing some vandals. In a Sunday Facebook post , park officials showed images of rocks along the Yosemite Falls Trail covered in blue and white spray paint, some of them with the...
Dog Who Saved Owner
From Mountain Lion Dies
Jun 9, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Dog Who Saved Owner From Mountain Lion Dies
'We said goodbye,' owner writes of Eva
A sad coda to the story of a life-saving dog—Eva has died from injuries sustained while protecting her owner from a mountain lion, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. "We said goodbye," owner Erin Wilson wrote on a GoFundMe page for her dog's vet bills. The...
What Progressive DA's
Recall Means for Democrats
Jun 8, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
What Progressive DA's Recall Means for Democrats
Chesa Boudin's loss seen by some as a 'wake-up call' about policies on crime
- Though the San Francisco district attorney recalled by voters on Tuesday admitted past mistakes, without identifying what they were, he mainly pointed the finger elsewhere. "The right-wing billionaires outspent us three to one, they exploited an environment in which people are appropriately upset, and they created an electoral dynamic...
Ousts Liberal DA
in Heated Recall
Jun 8, 2022 7:05 AM CDT
San Francisco Ousts Liberal DA in Heated Recall
And more from the polls Tuesday
- San Francisco on Tuesday has voted to recall progressive District Attorney Chesa Boudin in a heated campaign that bitterly divided Democrats over crime, policing, and public safety reform. Partial returns showed Boudin losing in what is expected to be a low turnout election. Early returns showed 61% of votes in...
Makes Unusual Ruling
Jun 6, 2022 11:59 AM CDT
California Judge Makes Unusual Ruling on Bumblebees
Invertebrate insect can be classified as a fish for endangered species protections
- In a case that gives new meaning to "fish out of water," a California appeals court judge has ruled that the bumblebee can be classified as a fish. Justice Ronald Robie of Sacramento's 3rd District Court of Appeal made his decision Tuesday, and it was done for...
Navy Fighter Jet
Crashes, Killing Pilot
Jun 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Navy Fighter Jet Crashes, Killing Pilot
F/A-18E Super Hornet went down Friday in Southern California desert
- A Navy fighter jet crashed Friday in the Southern California desert, killing the pilot, authorities said. An F/A-18E Super Hornet based at Naval Air Station Lemoore went down at about 2:30pm in the area of Trona, an unincorporated Mojave Desert community in San Bernardino County, the Navy announced in...
Doctor, 2 Nurses
Stabbed at LA Hospital
Jun 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor, 2 Nurses Stabbed at LA Hospital
Suspect taken into custody after attack at Encino Hospital Medical Center; victims hospitalized
- Chaos unfolded at a Los Angeles hospital Friday after police say a man walked in and stabbed a doctor and two nurses. Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton of the LAPD tells KTLA that the suspect entered Encino Hospital Medical Center shortly before 4pm local time to "seek treatment" after a...
Brought In Amid Calif. Drought
Jun 2, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
'Unprecedented Measures' Brought In Amid Calif. Drought
LA residents can only water outdoors for 8 minutes a time, 2 days a week
- California is taking tough steps to ration water amid a megadrought so severe that even ancient trees haven't experienced anything as bad before. On Wednesday, more than 6 million people in Southern California were placed under unprecedented restrictions cutting outdoor watering days to one or two a week, the...
Janitor Traps Cougar
in English Classroom
Jun 2, 2022 4:27 AM CDT
Janitor Traps Cougar in English Classroom
'Lost' animal wandered into California high school
- A quick-thinking custodian safely confined a curious cougar in an empty classroom after it entered a Northern California high school Wednesday morning, authorities said. The custodian was opening Pescadero High for the school day when the juvenile mountain lion was spotted, said Detective Javier Acosta with the San Mateo County...
California Task Force:
Reparations Must Be Made
Jun 2, 2022 12:43 AM CDT
California Task Force: Reparations Must Be Made
500-page report is hailed as a historic moment
- On Wednesday, a California task force released a 500-page report, two years in the making, on the state's historic role in harming Black Americans, from the days of slavery until now—and called for reparations to be made. California is now the first state to have moved forward with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.