Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawsuit: Widespread Racial
Abuse at Tesla Is 'Ongoing'
Sep 29, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Widespread Racial Abuse at Tesla Is 'Ongoing'
EEOC alleges company ignores swastikas, threats, and racial slurs at Fremont factory
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is suing Elon Musk's Tesla, alleging "widespread and ongoing racial harassment of its Black employees" and retaliation against those who speak out. The racial misconduct at Tesla's factory in Fremont, California, dating back to at least 2015, "was frequent, ongoing, inappropriate,...
New Fast-Food Wage Cheered
Sep 28, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
New Fast-Food Wage Cheered
- A new law in California will raise the minimum wage for fast-food workers to $20 per hour next year, an acknowledgment from the state's Democratic leaders that most of the often-overlooked workforce are the primary earners for their low-income households. When it takes effect on April 1, fast-food workers...
Captors Vowed to Mutilate Teen
if $500K Ransom Wasn't Paid
Sep 26, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
Captors Vowed to Mutilate Teen if $500K Ransom Wasn't Paid
17-year-old rescued Friday in California; 3 suspects now face life in prison
- A California teenager was found safe Friday, four days after he was kidnapped by men who threatened to cut off his body parts unless his family paid a $500,000 ransom. The men caused the 17-year-old to crash his vehicle into their Jeep Grand Cherokee in the city of Highland...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
California Is Making a Change
to Stop Fleeing Insurers
Sep 22, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
California Is Making a Change to Stop Fleeing Insurers
Rates likely to spike as insurers incorporate catastrophe models in policy pricing
- Insurance providers are applauding proposed changes likely to result in rate increases in one of the world's largest insurance markets to better account for billions of dollars in potential damage from natural disasters amid a changing climate. Through executive orders approving "emergency regulatory action," California moved Thursday...
Sep 21, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Beverly Hills Targets Young Vandals Prepping for Halloween
City bans those under 21 from possessing shaving cream, Silly String on Oct. 31
- Beverly Hills has placed a ban on young people possessing everyday products abused by vandals in an effort to create a "safe, family-friendly environment" on Halloween. The city council voted 5-0 Tuesday to ban people under the age of 21 from possessing Silly String, shaving cream or gel, and...
Her Way Up the
Ladder. Now, Jail
Sep 21, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Gina Lonestar created phony invoices from a fake vendor to the tune of $1.7M, prosecutors say
- A former Men's Wearhouse executive is going to prison for nearly two years after pleading guilty to embezzling $1.7 million from the clothing giant and its parent, Tailored Brands. CBS News reports that 52-year-old Gina Suzanne Lonestar was sentenced to 22 months behind bars on a wire fraud...
Sep 20, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
LAPD Honcho Accused of Stalking Officer With AirTag
Al Labrada, assistant chief in department, on leave after allegations of tracking officer with Apple AirTag
- A top-level official with the LAPD who's been there for three decades is now on administrative leave after allegations of stalking a co-worker. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, Chief Michel Moore made the announcement about Al Labrada, one of his three assistant chiefs, during a Tuesday gathering of the...
DA Sues Sacramento
Over 'Collapse Into Chaos'
Sep 19, 2023 4:47 PM CDT
DA Sues Sacramento Over 'Collapse Into Chaos'
He says city has failed to take action to get homeless people off the streets
- A Sacramento prosecutor is suing California's capital city over its failure to clean up homeless encampments. Sacramento District Attorney Thien Ho says his office asked the city to enforce laws around sidewalk obstruction and to create additional professionally operated camping sites. He announced the suit Tuesday during a news...
Inside California Dems' Effort
to Boot Trump From Ballot
Sep 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Inside California Dems' Effort to Boot Trump From Ballot
Group asks state attorney general to expedite court ruling on former president's eligibility
- Nine Democrats in California are seeking an expedited court ruling that could bar former President Donald Trump from the March 5 presidential primary ballot, claiming he's ineligible to resume office. The lawmakers—who echo conservative law scholars in arguing Trump may have violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,...
Cops: Man Pulls Out
Knife He Was Stabbed
With, Stabs Assailant
Sep 19, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Cops: Man Pulls Out Knife He Was Stabbed With, Stabs Assailant
Alleged trespasser, attacker was arrested
- A California man was stabbed, pulled the knife out of his own body, and then stabbed his assailant back, police say. The 61-year-old exited his Napa County home Saturday morning after a power outage and encountered the suspect, 33-year-old Andrew Kenneth Dixon, near the utility box on his property. Police...
15-Year-Old, Mom Charged
in Fatal Car Crash
Sep 18, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
15-Year-Old, Mom Charged in Fatal Car Crash
Police say she gave him the keys for a trip to the market
- A 45-year-old woman in Bakersfield, California, is facing a felony charge in connection with a car crash that happened while she was at home. Authorities say the woman gave her 15-year-old son the keys to her car for what she thought would be a quick trip to the market and...
California Goes After Big Oil
Sep 17, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
California Goes After Big Oil
State says Exxon, Shell, others misled public for decades over the risks of fossil fuels
- The state of California has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's largest oil and gas companies, claiming they deceived the public about the risks of fossil fuels now faulted for climate change-related storms and wildfires that caused billions of dollars in damage, per the AP . The civil...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
Game Developers Irate Over
'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Sep 15, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Game Developers Irate Over 'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Unity Technologies shuts 2 offices after death threat comes in over controversial new cost
- Earlier this week, Unity Technologies, a video game software company based in San Francisco, made an announcement that roiled the gaming world: It would begin charging developers a 20-cent fee each time a user installed one of its games, a "phenomenally unpopular" move that set off "widespread anger,...
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then
Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Sep 14, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Juvenile in Huntington Beach, California, charged with homicide after 70-year-old cyclist died
- A juvenile driver in Huntington Beach, California, is accused of running down three cyclists within 45 minutes on Sunday, killing one. The cyclists were struck in separate incidents less than a mile apart, KTLA reports. The first incident occurred around 10pm when a cyclist was struck in a crosswalk by...
Serial Killer Ex-Cop
Dies on Death Row
Sep 12, 2023 7:37 PM CDT
Serial Killer Ex-Cop Dies on Death Row
Anthony Sully was on death row for nearly 40 years
- A former California police officer turned serial killer who was on death row after being convicted of murdering six people in the 1980s has died of natural causes, authorities said. Anthony Sully, 79, died Friday at a medical facility outside the San Quentin Rehabilitation Center, where he had been housed...
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home
Under Threat of Demolition
Sep 12, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home Under Threat of Demolition
Los Angeles officials considering landmark status for home in which the star died in 1962
- Los Angeles officials have intervened to prevent demolition of the only home Marilyn Monroe ever owned independently, which is also the one in which she died. City residents responded with outrage after the owners of 12305 Fifth Helena Drive applied for permits to demolish the Spanish colonial-style home in which...
Puppy Given Naloxone
After Possible Fentanyl OD
Sep 11, 2023 2:44 AM CDT
Puppy Given Naloxone After Possible Fentanyl OD
8-week-old puppy made a full recovery
- Naloxone, the opioid overdose-reversing drug, was used not on a human but on a puppy in southern California last week. Irvine police officers say the pit bull puppy appeared to have been exposed to fentanyl and recovered quickly after the drug, also known as Narcan, was administered via nasal spray,...
Nancy Pelosi: I'm Running
Again for My House Seat
Sep 8, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi: I'm Running Again for My House Seat
It's a yes for 2024 for the 83-year-old Democratic congresswoman from California
- Nancy Pelosi may be well above the median age (58) for members of the House of Representatives, but the 83-year-old Democratic congresswoman has no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Although the former speaker stepped away from any possible leadership post in Congress last fall, Pelosi announced Friday that she plans...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.