Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Big Name Joins
Race for Feinstein's Seat
Jan 26, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Another Big Name Joins Race for Feinstein's Seat
Rep. Adam Schiff launches bid ahead of senator's expected retirement
- For the record, Dianne Feinstein has yet to announce that she won't run for reelection to the Senate. But that apparent technicality isn't stopping big Democratic political names in California from launching their bids for her seat. First came Rep. Katie Porter . Now fellow member of Congress Adam...
in Calif. Shootings
Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Jan 26, 2023 10:05 AM CST
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Elderly mass shooters are few and far between, as are those of Asian ancestry
- Two of the oldest suspected mass shooters in US history struck days apart. Saturday's shooting in Monterey Park, California, and Monday's shootings in Half Moon Bay, California, share more in common than location. The suspected gunmen were both senior citizens, which experts describe as "stunning." Huu...
Have Info on the 'Doodler'?
Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 26, 2023 6:09 AM CST
Have Info on the 'Doodler'? Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Police in San Francisco up the pot to $250K, release new sketch in search for '70s serial killer
- Last year, police upped the reward in their search for the "Doodler," a serial killer from the '70s who went after gay men. Now, they've increased the pot even more, this time from $200,000 to $250,000, and released a new sketch of the suspect,...
With Killing 7 Coworkers
Jan 25, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Farmworker Charged With Killing 7 Coworkers
Chunli Zhao targeted current, former colleagues in mass shooting, authorities say
- The man accused of killing seven people Monday in what authorities say appears to have been a workplace rampage in Half Moon Bay, California, was charged Wednesday with seven counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. Authorities say Chunli Zhao, 66, targeted current and former coworkers at two...
I Know 'He Has Gone'
Jan 25, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Brother of Julian Sands: I Know 'He Has Gone'
Searches continue for actor, hiker Bob Gregory in California's San Gabriel Mountains
- The brother of Julian Sands is losing hope that the actor will be found alive 12 days after he was reported missing in California . "He has not yet been declared missing, presumed dead, but I know in my heart that he has gone," Nick Sands tells the UK'...
Deaths at Mushroom Farms
Possibly 'Workplace Violence'
Jan 24, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Deaths at Mushroom Farms Possibly 'Workplace Violence'
The suspect in Half Moon Bay mass shooting may have worked at one of them
- As Californians search for answers in the three mass shootings that have rocked the state in the past few days, authorities offered some thoughts about the potential motive behind one of them. CBS News reports that preliminary evidence in the shooting in Half Moon Bay that killed seven on Monday...
'Second Amendment Is
Becoming a Suicide Pact'
Jan 24, 2023 7:51 AM CST
'Second Amendment Is Becoming a Suicide Pact'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks out amid 3 mass shootings in 3 days in his state
- California has seen three deadly mass shootings in three days , and Gov. Gavin Newsom delivered a line to CBS Evening News likely to fire up both sides of the gun laws debate. "The Second Amendment is becoming a suicide pact," said Newsom on a visit to Monterey Park,...
2 More Mass Shootings,
Leaving 8 Dead
Jan 24, 2023 6:54 AM CST
California Sees 2 More Mass Shootings, Leaving 8 Dead
That makes 3 mass shootings in the state in 3 days
- Just days after the mass shooting in Monterey Park that killed 11, a pair of mass shootings in California left eight dead Monday. Shootings took place at two separate locations about a mile apart in Half Moon Bay, a coastal community in the northern part of the state, killing a...
As Search for
Jan 24, 2023 2:00 AM CST
As Search for Actor Continues, Another Hiker Goes Missing
Men went missing in Mt. Baldy area
- Another hiker has gone missing on California's Mt. Baldy as the search for British actor Julian Sands continues in the same area. Jin Chung, 75, failed to return from a hike Sunday, NBC News reports. He had carpooled to the site with two others that morning; the group separated...
'Polar Plunge' With Friends
Goes Terribly Wrong
Jan 23, 2023 8:53 AM CST
'Polar Plunge' With Friends Goes Terribly Wrong
San Francisco State student Hamzah Alsaudi missing after wave swept him off California coast
- A "polar plunge" with friends off the coast of California went terribly wrong for a local college student who never made it out of the ocean. Per a Pacifica Police Department release cited by CBS News , Hamzah Alsaudi, 22, a senior and wrestler at San Francisco State, headed to...
Amid Chaos of Shooting,
a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Jan 23, 2023 6:43 AM CST
Amid Chaos of Shooting, a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Witnesses describe workers at 2 different dance studios confronting the gunman
- As police try to figure out a motive for Saturday night's mass shooting in Monterey Park, California, which left 10 dead and 10 others injured, stories are emerging on the heroes who tried to stop the gunman. Among them: Ming Wei Ma, the owner of the Star Ballroom Dance...
Patrons Fight Off a Gunman
Near Mass Shooting
Jan 22, 2023 12:35 PM CST
Patrons Fight Off a Gunman Near Mass Shooting
Investigators look into whether the case is related to the Monterey Park shooting
- About 20 minutes after a gunman fled the site of a mass shooting in the Los Angeles area on Saturday night, a man walked into another dance hall nearby with a gun. People in the Lai Lai Ballroom and Studio in Alhambra wrestled the firearm away from the man, authorities...
Girl, 16, and Her
Baby Were Running
Jan 18, 2023 12:04 AM CST
Girl, 16, and Her Baby Were Running From 'Massacre' When Killed
Police release identities of 6 victims in California mass murder
- Police have released the identities of the six people slain in a central California home early Monday, and they include a 16-year-old and her 10-month-old baby (the teen was previously reported to be 17, and the infant 6 months) who, police say, were trying to flee the "massacre" when...
In California Mass Murder,
'a Message Being Sent'
Jan 17, 2023 4:26 AM CST
In California Mass Murder, 'a Message Being Sent'
Cops believe a drug cartel is behind the slayings of 6 people at a Calif. home
- Police believe a drug cartel is behind the fatal shootings of six people at a California home Monday. The "manner and swiftness" of the attack in Goshen, a quiet, mostly Latino farming community near Visalia in Tulare County, suggests experienced killers, the local sheriff says. "This was very...
Puts End Date
on EV Sales
Jan 16, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Lawmakers' Resolution Puts End Date on EV Sales
Wyoming would send a copy of symbolic measure to Biden, California
- Several Wyoming lawmakers want to send a message to the federal government and California about electric cars—by voting to phase out the sale of EVs in the state and sending copies of the resolution to President Biden and California Gov. Gavin Newsom. The Senate resolution , whose effect would be...
Suspects Still at Large
After 6 Killed in
Jan 16, 2023 12:40 PM CST
Suspects Still at Large After 6 Killed in California Home
Baby, 17-year-old mom are among the dead
- Six people—including a 17-year-old mother and her 6-month-old baby—were killed in a shooting early Monday at a home in central California, and authorities are searching for at least two suspects, sheriff's officials said. Deputies responded around 3:30am to reports of multiple shots fired at the residence...
'Hiking Queen' Dies After
Sliding Hundreds of Feet
Jan 13, 2023 9:40 AM CST
'Hiking Queen' Dies After Sliding Hundreds of Feet
She had already decided to turn back from Mount Baldy due to dangerous conditions
- A mother of four known to family and friends as the "hiking queen" died after sliding as many as 700 feet down a California mountain on Sunday, authorities say. Crystal Paula Gonzalez-Landas is the second hiker to die in recent weeks on Mount Baldy, the highest of the San...
'They're Trying to
George Floyd Me!'
Jan 13, 2023 8:23 AM CST
'They're Trying to George Floyd Me!'
Keenan Anderson, cousin of BLM co-founder, dead after police tasing incident in Los Angeles
- The cousin of a Black Lives Matter co-founder is dead in Los Angeles after police tased him several times following a car crash. The
IDs the man as 31-year-old Keenan Anderson, a father and high school English teacher visiting from DC. The incident in LA's Venice neighborhood...
Before He Was
Swept Away, Boy
Told His Mom, 'It's OK'
Jan 12, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Before He Was Swept Away, Boy Told His Mom, 'It's OK'
Kyle Doan is still missing after California's severe storms
- Lindsy Doan didn’t think the water flowing over the creek crossing on San Marcos Road was deeper than normal when she tried navigating it in her SUV while driving her 5-year-old son to school. But the creek, swollen with rain from California's epic winter storms, was much higher...
SF Man Recorded
Turning Hose on
Jan 11, 2023 12:27 PM CST
SF Man Recorded Turning Hose on Homeless Woman
Collier Gwin could face assault charge
- A man filmed hosing down a homeless woman on the streets of San Francisco initially told KGO that he found it "hard to apologize." Indeed, he suggested to the
San Francisco Chronicle
that he'd do it again. A video of Monday's incident quickly went viral , with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.