Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Low-Paid Workers Get
a Pandemic Pay Raise
Aug 9, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Low-Paid Workers Get a Pandemic Pay Raise
Restaurant, supermarket employees among those receiving average $15/hour, but millions still aren't
- For years, US workers have fought for a minimum wage of $15 per hour. Now, thanks to the pandemic and companies' struggle to find workers, that's the least that many workers will accept. Almost 80% of US workers now bring in a minimum of $15 an hour, a substantial...
McDonald's Raising Wages,
but Not Enough for Activists
May 14, 2021 2:01 AM CDT
McDonald's Raising Wages, but Not Enough for Activists
Only the company-owned stores, which aren't many, are affected
- McDonald’s is raising pay at 650 company-owned stores in the US as part of its push to hire thousands of new workers in a tight labor market, the AP reports. The fast-food giant is also encouraging its franchisees—which make up 95% of its restaurant base—to boost pay....
Biden Signs $15 Minimum
Wage for Federal Contractors
Apr 27, 2021 6:28 PM CDT
Biden Signs $15 Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors
Move gives a raise to around 390K workers
- President Biden signed an executive order Tuesday to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour for federal contractors, providing a pay bump to hundreds of thousands of workers. Biden administration officials said that the higher wages would lead to greater worker productivity, offsetting any additional costs to taxpayers, the...
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring
Gets Plenty of Attention
Apr 20, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring Gets Plenty of Attention
Centrist Kyrsten Sinema shared photo of her wearing ring that said 'f--k off'
- On a weekend in which photos of her exaggerated thumbs-down "no" vote on an incremental minimum wage were projected on City Hall in Flagstaff, Ariz., Sen. Kyrsten Sinema projected an image of her own—which included the words "f--k off." The Arizona Democrat posted a photo on...
UK Uber Concessions
Aren't Enough: Drivers
Mar 17, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
UK Uber Concessions Aren't Enough: Drivers
Company agrees to minimum wage, pension
- Uber is granting its UK drivers the minimum wage, pensions, and holiday pay, following a recent court ruling that said they should be classified as workers and entitled to such benefits. The ride hailing giant's announcement cames after it lost an appeal last month at the UK Supreme Court...
Congresswoman Takes Heat
After Gesture During Vote
Mar 6, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Congresswoman Takes Heat After Gesture During Vote
Dem. Kyrsten Sinema voted no to minimum wage provision with an enthusiastic thumbs-down
- Bernie Sanders' attempt to attach a minimum wage provision to President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill failed on Friday , and a handful of Democrats helped secure its demise. Among them: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who's now facing criticism from Democrats not just for her vote against...
Bid Is Rejected
Mar 5, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Bernie Sanders' Minimum Wage Bid Is Rejected
Senator's workaround to add measure to relief bill falls short
- Sen. Bernie Sanders tried again for a $15 federal minimum wage Friday but was undercut by a handful of Democrats. On a 58-42 vote—though the final count could change—the Senate rejected an attempt to slip the minimum wage increase into President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief...
'American Rescue Plan'
One Step Closer to Arrival
Feb 27, 2021 6:00 AM CST
'American Rescue Plan' One Step Closer to Arrival
House votes 219-212 to approve $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill, sends it to Senate
- A long-awaited COVID relief bill is now making its way to the US Senate after the House of Representatives approved the $1.9 trillion package early Saturday. CNN reports that the vote was 219-212, with no Republicans casting a "yea," and two Democrats joining their GOP colleagues in...
a 'Plan B' to Raise
Feb 26, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Senator Has a 'Plan B' to Raise Minimum Wage
Large corporations could face new 5% tax if pay falls below threshold
- With the door shut on raising the federal minimum wage through the COVID-19 relief bill , Democrats are looking for another route. Instead of mandating a $15 hourly wage, Sen. Ron Wyden suggests going at it another way: penalizing large corporations whose employees don't make a certain amount. The companies...
Senator 'Rightly Roasted'
for His Minimum Wage Take
Feb 26, 2021 2:00 PM CST
Senator 'Rightly Roasted' for His Minimum Wage Take
In 'NYT,' Binyamin Appelbaum slams John Thune's 'innumeracy' for tale of once making $6 an hour
- As the fight continued this week over whether to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15, GOP Sen. John Thune of South Dakota weighed in against such a hike with a story from his boyhood. He said he started out busing tables at a family...
White House: Biden Will
'Respect' Minimum Wage Ruling
Feb 26, 2021 4:15 AM CST
White House: Biden Will 'Respect' Minimum Wage Ruling
But he's 'disappointed' by Senate parliamentarian's decision, Psaki says
- After the Senate parliamentarian dealt a potentially lethal blow Thursday to Democrats’ drive to hike the minimum wage, deciding that the cherished progressive goal must fall from a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill the party is trying to speed through Congress, the White House said President Biden will respect...
Dooms Minimum Wage Hike
Feb 26, 2021 12:03 AM CST
Parliamentarian's Decision Dooms Minimum Wage Hike
Senate official says it breaks budget rules
- Looks like the coronavirus relief bill will not include a minimum wage hike. The Senate parliamentarian on Thursday ruled against the inclusion, saying it goes against budget rules. Every provision in the $1.9 trillion bill must comply with budget rules since Democrats are attempting to use the fast-track budget...
Biden $1 Better
Feb 25, 2021 6:04 PM CST
Costco Goes Biden $1 Better
Chain says raising pay is good business
- Unaffected by whether an increase in the federal minimum wage ends up in the final coronavirus relief package or not—after making its starting pay $15 an hour in 2019— Costco has announced another increase. Starting next week, new employees will be paid $16 an hour, NPR reports. "I...
A Changing World Results
in Raises at Walmart
Feb 18, 2021 10:05 AM CST
A Changing World Results in Raises at Walmart
425K workers in online shopping will make an average of more than $15 an hour
- Lots of Walmart workers are getting a raise, thanks mostly to the pandemic's transformation of the way people shop. The largest private US employer said 425,000 workers who handle online shopping—either on the digital end or in the stocking of orders—will make an average of more...
Voters to Decide
on State's Name
Nov 3, 2020 2:47 PM CST
Rhode Island Voters to Decide on State's Name
Ballot measures also cover flag, minimum wage
- More than 120 ballot measures could transform state policy this election. In two of those cases, the topic is abortion. In Colorado, Proposition 115 seeks to block abortion after 22 weeks of pregnancy unless to save the life of the mother. That's the sole exception that would be provided,...
Target Giving Every Single
Hourly Worker a Bonus
Jun 17, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Target Giving Every Single Hourly Worker a Bonus
And company is completing its plan to raise its minimum wage ahead of schedule
- For those of you wishing that 2020 would just end already—Target is at least bringing the end of 2020 to early July. The company on Wednesday announced that all workers would make a minimum of $15 an hour as of July 5. In 2017 it announced that it would...
New Minimum Wage
Jul 18, 2019 12:23 PM CDT
House Approves New Minimum Wage
Democrats win a mostly symbolic legislative victory
- The House has struck again: A day after addressing two hot-button issues , the legislative body voted Thursday to increase the US minimum wage to $15 by 2025. The 231-199 vote fell mostly on party lines and showed that centrist and liberal Democrats can still compromise, the
reports. Liberals won...
Hollywood Stars Fight for
Waitresses—Who Push Back
Mar 24, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Hollywood Stars Fight for Waitresses—Who Push Back
At least that's what the New York Times is finding
- Hollywood A-listers like Sarah Jessica Parker and Amy Poehler are bent on saving New York waitresses—but the response thus far isn't exactly positive, the
New York Times
reports. The celebs are among 16 actresses who wrote New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo urging him to raise servers' lower minimum...
Workers Get Good News
Across 20 States
Dec 30, 2018 2:10 PM CST
Workers Get Good News Across 20 States
For millions, a pay hike is coming
- At Granny Shaffer's restaurant in Joplin, Missouri, owner Mike Wiggins is reprinting the menus to reflect the 5, 10, or 20 cents added to each item. A two-egg breakfast will cost an extra dime, at $7.39. The price of a three-piece fried chicken dinner will go up 20...
Minimum Wage in New York
to Increase in New Year
Dec 27, 2018 7:11 PM CST
Minimum Wage in New York to Increase in New Year
In NYC, workers will make at least $15
- The lowest-paid workers in New York state will have something to look forward to in the new year: a higher minimum wage, with the biggest boost coming to employees in New York City, who will make at least $15 per hour, per the AP . For workers struggling in this expensive...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.