Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested
COVID Injection to Prove a Point
Nov 8, 2023 6:30 PM CST
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested COVID Injection to Prove a Point
The idea was to show the public there was nothing to fear, former chief of staff tells UK inquiry
- Boris Johnson made the comment "in the heat of the moment," and the seriousness of the virus wasn't clear at the time, but still, an inquiry has been told, the prime minister once suggested he be injected with COVID-19 live on TV to show there was nothing...
Boris Johnson Has
a New Gig: News Host
Oct 27, 2023 1:09 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Has a New Gig: News Host
He joins the UK's GB News outlet
- Now that he's no longer prime minister , or even a member of parliament for that matter, Boris Johnson has some time to fill. On Friday, the former UK leader announced that he was joining the GB News network in Britain as a presenter, reports the
. In a video...
UK Lawmakers Vote
354-7 to Punish Johnson
Jun 19, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
UK Lawmakers Vote 354-7 to Punish Johnson
They overwhelmingly endorsed damning report on 'partygate' scandal
- In a historic humiliation for Boris Johnson on his 59th birthday, Britain's Parliament voted overwhelmingly Monday to ratify a damning report on the "partygate" scandal. MPs voted 354 to 7 to endorse the report, though many members of the former prime minister's Conservative Party stayed away from...
Jun 9, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Party Scandal Ousts Johnson From Parliament
Former UK prime minister argues investigation was biased
- Boris Johnson, who was forced from office as British prime minister last year, resigned his seat in Parliament on Friday. He did not go quietly. An investigation had recommended Johnson's suspension from the House of Commons after finding he'd misled Parliament about parties he'd hosted during the...
Boris Johnson: 'I Did Not Lie'
Mar 22, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Boris Johnson: 'I Did Not Lie'
Lawmakers question former prime minister about parties he hosted during lockdown
- UK lawmakers questioned Boris Johnson for more than three tense hours on Wednesday, pressing him about whether events he hosted while prime minister broke COVID lockdown rules and drawing defiant denials that he misled them. A House of Commons committee is investigating assurances Johnson made to Parliament after parties at...
Boris Johnson Wants Everyone
to Address His Father as 'Sir'
Mar 6, 2023 4:16 PM CST
Boris Johnson Wants Everyone to Address His Father as 'Sir'
Opposition leaders consider the knighthood nomination a mockery
- Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson has nominated about 100 people for UK honors, but one name in particular drew attention. The ex-leader of the Conservative Party has put up Stanley Johnson, his father, for a knighthood, the
reports. The news was not met with universal praise. "You only...
Boris Johnson: Putin Made
a 'Jolly' Threat to Me
Jan 30, 2023 8:18 AM CST
Boris Johnson: Putin Made a 'Jolly' Threat to Me
Russian leader said he could kill Johnson with a missile, though Kremlin denies
- In a new documentary about Vladimir Putin's relations with Western leaders, former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson recounted a conversation that is causing double-takes. During a long call between the two in the run-up to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Johnson says Putin breezily talked about hitting the UK...
UK's Next Leader
Is a Historic One
Oct 24, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
UK's Next Leader Is a Historic One
Former finance minister Rishi Sunak will be first minister of color in the UK
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
Britain's next prime minister will be 42-year-old Rishi Sunak. The former finance minister's path to victory improved dramatically on Sunday when Boris Johnson dropped out , then became a lock on Monday when his last challenger—fellow Conservative Penny...
Says He's Out
of the Running
Oct 23, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Says He's Out of the Running
Running for top spot again wouldn't be right, former prime minister says
: He never officially said he was in the running to replace Liz Truss, but Boris Johnson announced Sunday that he's out of the race. In a statement, the recent and former prime minister said he was well-positioned to lead the UK's Conservative Party to victory, the BBC...
UK Conservatives Hit
Historic Low in Polls
Oct 21, 2022 9:12 AM CDT
UK Conservatives Hit Historic Low in Polls
Truss's successor could face 'extinction level event' in next election
- British Prime Minister Liz Truss resigned on Thursday, her 45th day in office—and whoever her successor is, they will have a tough task rebuilding support for the country's Conservative Party. With Boris Johnson at the helm, the party swept to its biggest victory in decades in the December...
On the Short List to Replace
Liz Truss Is a Familiar Face
Oct 20, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
On the Short List to Replace Liz Truss Is a Familiar Face
Boris Johnson is expected to stand for the post as UK prime minister
- Liz Truss is out as UK prime minister after only six weeks. Might Boris Johnson be back in the post before the end of the month? As the ruling Conservative Party scrambles to pick a new leader, Johnson—who resigned amid scandal in July—appears to be on everybody's...
for Liz Truss
Oct 18, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
It's Looking Increasingly Bad for Liz Truss
Potential rule change could mean no-confidence vote as some Tories call for resignation
- After just five weeks in the job of UK prime minister, Liz Truss has faced disaster after disaster to the point that "five of the PM's own MPs have called publicly on her to resign, with others briefing journalists that they think her time in office is up,...
Comparing Himself to 'Booster
Rocket,' Johnson Blasts Off
Sep 6, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Comparing Himself to 'Booster Rocket,' Johnson Blasts Off
British PM makes final speech, urges Brits to support successor Liz Truss
- In Britain, it's a day for the changing of the guard. Boris Johnson was formally tendering his resignation to the queen as he urged the nation to support his successor, Liz Truss . "This is it, folks," the 58-year-old Johnson said in his final speech before stepping down,...
A Twist in How Queen Will
Appoint New Prime Minister
Aug 31, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
A Twist in How Queen Will Appoint New Prime Minister
It'll happen in Scotland this time
- On Monday, Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak will be named leader of the Conservative Party, but their Tuesday audience with the queen will be unlike any other during her 70-year reign, reports NBC News . This one will be in Scotland. The 96-year-old monarch traditionally bids the outgoing prime minister farewell...
Jul 29, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Alito Mocks Prince Harry Over Roe Criticism
Supreme Court justice also takes shot at Boris Johnson, other overseas critics
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade, and he's not much interested in hearing what foreign critics have to say about it. In a speech on religious liberty in Rome hosted by Notre Dame Law School, Alito mocked Prince Harry and outgoing British Prime...
Words to Parliament:
'Hasta la Vista, Baby'
Jul 20, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Johnson's Final Words to Parliament: 'Hasta la Vista, Baby'
Also on Wednesday, the final 2 candidates to replace Johnson as PM are chosen
- After five rounds of voting, the race to replace Boris Johnson is down to the final two candidates: Rishi Sunak, whose resignation as finance minister helped trigger an avalanche of resignations that led to Johnson's downfall, and Liz Truss, the Johnson administration's foreign minister. Trade minister Penny Mordaunt...
The Battle to Replace
Boris Johnson Starts Now
Jul 12, 2022 11:02 AM CDT
The Battle to Replace Boris Johnson Starts Now
Conservative contenders to face elimination votes before final decision by party members
- The battle is on to replace British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, with at least 10 Conservative Party lawmakers throwing their hats in the ring Tuesday. Nominations will be accepted until 6pm local time, though candidates will need the support of at least 20 of the 358 Conservative members of Parliament...
Jul 7, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Made One Fatal Error
He apologized, and that rarely plays well in politics, writes Martha Gill
- Boris Johnson has been beset by one scandal after another over the years, so why did the latest one bring his resignation ? At the
New York Times
, Martha Gill writes that Johnson made a big political error this week: He apologized. "It was a mistake, and I apologize...
Boris Johnson Resigns:
'Them's the Breaks'
Jul 7, 2022 6:58 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Resigns: 'Them's the Breaks'
He confirms resignation as party leader but he's staying as PM until replacement is chosen
- Just under three years after he became prime minister, Boris Johnson stood outside 10 Downing Street to confirm his resignation Thursday. "It is clearly now the will of the parliamentary Conservative party that there should be a new leader of that party and therefore a new prime minister,"...
In Stunning Fall, Boris Johnson
Finally Agrees to Step Down
Jul 7, 2022 4:46 AM CDT
In Stunning Fall, Boris Johnson Finally Agrees to Step Down
Embattled British leader faced more than 50 resignations from government
- After a stunning 48 hours that saw an unprecedented number of resignations from the government, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has finally bowed to pressure and agreed to resign. Johnson, facing a mutiny that would have made it nearly impossible for the government to function, agreed to step down as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.