Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in
Rampage on DC Metro
Feb 1, 2023 2:59 PM CST
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
Police say transit worker was killed trying to protect woman from gunman
- Police in Washington, DC, say a heroic worker for the city's Metro transit system was killed Wednesday as he tried to protect a woman from a gunman on a station platform. At least two other people were injured in the rampage, which involved a "series of individual" shooting...
4 Shooters Fire at
Along Street, Hitting 10
Jan 31, 2023 12:31 AM CST
4 Shooters Fire at Crowd Gathered Along Street, Hitting 10
2 of those injured in Florida mass shooting are in critical condition
- Ten people were injured Monday afternoon during a drive-by shooting in a central Florida neighborhood, police said. Lakeland Police Chief Sam Taylor said during a news conference that two of the victims were critically injured, while the wounds of the other eight victims weren't considered life-threatening, the AP reports....
Jan 30, 2023 9:10 AM CST
Factor in Mass Shooting: a $100 Dispute
Prosecutors say Zhao Chunli in California was angry over order to pay for damage to forklift
- It appears that seven people were shot to death over a $100 dispute. San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe has confirmed reports that 66-year-old Zhao Chunli grew angry when his boss told him he must pay $100 to cover damage to a forklift at a mushroom farm where he...
3 Killed in Latest California
Mass Shooting Likely 'Targeted'
Jan 30, 2023 1:18 AM CST
3 Killed in Latest California Mass Shooting Likely 'Targeted'
Victims have been identified in Beverly Crest shooting
- The three people killed in California's latest mass shooting have been identified. Nenah Davis, 29, Destiny Sims, 26, and Iyana Hutton, 33, were killed while inside a vehicle parked outside a home believed to be a short-term rental. All three are women; ABC 7 reports that police had initially...
Mass Shooting Suspect Says
He Was Bullied at Farm
Jan 27, 2023 6:35 AM CST
Mass Shooting Suspect Says He Was Bullied at Farm
In jailhouse interview, Chunli Zhao admits killing 7
- The California farmworker charged with killing seven current and former coworkers in a mass shooting Monday admitted the killings in a jailhouse interview Thursday, saying he had been bullied at work and his complaints were ignored. Chunli Zhao, speaking in Mandarin, told Janelle Wang from NBC Bay Area that he...
in Calif. Shootings
Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Jan 26, 2023 10:05 AM CST
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Elderly mass shooters are few and far between, as are those of Asian ancestry
- Two of the oldest suspected mass shooters in US history struck days apart. Saturday's shooting in Monterey Park, California, and Monday's shootings in Half Moon Bay, California, share more in common than location. The suspected gunmen were both senior citizens, which experts describe as "stunning." Huu...
With Killing 7 Coworkers
Jan 25, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Farmworker Charged With Killing 7 Coworkers
Chunli Zhao targeted current, former colleagues in mass shooting, authorities say
- The man accused of killing seven people Monday in what authorities say appears to have been a workplace rampage in Half Moon Bay, California, was charged Wednesday with seven counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. Authorities say Chunli Zhao, 66, targeted current and former coworkers at two...
Cast, Crew Stuck With
Monterey Park Dinner
Jan 25, 2023 2:30 PM CST
Cast, Crew Stuck With Monterey Park Dinner
To 'show them our love,' Ke Huy Quan says
- Tuesday was a big day for the largely Asian American cast and crew of
Everything Everywhere All at Once
, which scored an impressive 11 Oscar nominations . A gathering the night before, however, was a more solemn affair than they could have predicted when they booked it weeks ago, the
Deaths at Mushroom Farms
Possibly 'Workplace Violence'
Jan 24, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Deaths at Mushroom Farms Possibly 'Workplace Violence'
The suspect in Half Moon Bay mass shooting may have worked at one of them
- As Californians search for answers in the three mass shootings that have rocked the state in the past few days, authorities offered some thoughts about the potential motive behind one of them. CBS News reports that preliminary evidence in the shooting in Half Moon Bay that killed seven on Monday...
'Second Amendment Is
Becoming a Suicide Pact'
Jan 24, 2023 7:51 AM CST
'Second Amendment Is Becoming a Suicide Pact'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks out amid 3 mass shootings in 3 days in his state
- California has seen three deadly mass shootings in three days , and Gov. Gavin Newsom delivered a line to CBS Evening News likely to fire up both sides of the gun laws debate. "The Second Amendment is becoming a suicide pact," said Newsom on a visit to Monterey Park,...
2 More Mass Shootings,
Leaving 8 Dead
Jan 24, 2023 6:54 AM CST
California Sees 2 More Mass Shootings, Leaving 8 Dead
That makes 3 mass shootings in the state in 3 days
- Just days after the mass shooting in Monterey Park that killed 11, a pair of mass shootings in California left eight dead Monday. Shootings took place at two separate locations about a mile apart in Half Moon Bay, a coastal community in the northern part of the state, killing a...
Death Toll Rises to 11
in Monterey Park Shooting
Jan 23, 2023 4:44 PM CST
Death Toll Rises to 11 in Monterey Park Shooting
Mayor says Huu Can Tran may have been targeting ex-wife
- The death toll from the Monterey Park mass shooting rose to 11 Monday with the death of one of several critically injured victims. "Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we are saddened to share that one of the victims has succumbed to their extensive injuries," the LA County-USC Medical...
Youngest Monterey Park
Victim Was in Her 50s
Jan 23, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Youngest Monterey Park Victim Was in Her 50s
'We are starting the Lunar New Year broken,' relatives of another victim say
- At 72, Monterey Park suspect Huu Can Tran was unusually old for a mass shooter, and authorities say some of his victims were around the same age. The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner said Monday that out of the five women and five men killed in the Saturday night shooting...
Amid Chaos of Shooting,
a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Jan 23, 2023 6:43 AM CST
Amid Chaos of Shooting, a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Witnesses describe workers at 2 different dance studios confronting the gunman
- As police try to figure out a motive for Saturday night's mass shooting in Monterey Park, California, which left 10 dead and 10 others injured, stories are emerging on the heroes who tried to stop the gunman. Among them: Ming Wei Ma, the owner of the Star Ballroom Dance...
Monterey Park Mass Shooting
Suspect ID'ed as 72-Year-Old
Jan 23, 2023 12:02 AM CST
Monterey Park Mass Shooting Suspect ID'ed as 72-Year-Old
Police confirm he fatally shot himself as they closed in
- The suspected gunman who killed 10 people and wounded 10 others in a ballroom dance studio near Los Angeles on Saturday night has been identified as Huu Can Tran, 72, and police sources have confirmed he fatally shot himself in a strip mall parking lot Sunday as officers closed in...
What We Know About
the Mass Shooting Near LA
Jan 22, 2023 4:05 PM CST
What We Know About the Mass Shooting Near LA
Police searching for Monterey Park gunman say a driver they surrounded killed himself
- Police searching for the man who carried out a mass shooting Saturday night near Los Angeles surrounded a white van Sunday afternoon and said they found the driver dead, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot. Witnesses had said the Monterey Park shooter fled in a white van, and police had said...
10 Dead in Mass Shooting
at Dance Studio Near LA
Jan 22, 2023 6:26 AM CST
10 Dead in Mass Shooting at Dance Studio Near LA
Gunman opens fire in Monterey Park, which has a large Asian population
- Another mass shooting in the US has left 10 people dead and 10 others wounded. A gunman opened fire at a dance studio about 10:30pm Saturday in Monterey Park, California, reports the
Los Angeles Times
and CBS Los Angeles . Police say the shooter remains at large. The city of...
In California Mass Murder,
'a Message Being Sent'
Jan 17, 2023 4:26 AM CST
In California Mass Murder, 'a Message Being Sent'
Cops believe a drug cartel is behind the slayings of 6 people at a Calif. home
- Police believe a drug cartel is behind the fatal shootings of six people at a California home Monday. The "manner and swiftness" of the attack in Goshen, a quiet, mostly Latino farming community near Visalia in Tulare County, suggests experienced killers, the local sheriff says. "This was very...
Mass Shooting at
MLK Day Event
Jan 17, 2023 12:07 AM CST
Mass Shooting at MLK Day Event Injures 8
Shooting took place in Fort Pierce, Florida
- Eight people were shot Monday during a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Florida's St. Lucie County. More than 1,000 people were attending the MLK Car Show and Family Fun Day at Ilous Ellis Park in Fort Pierce when shots rang out about 5:20pm, WPBF reports....
Suspects Still at Large
After 6 Killed in
Jan 16, 2023 12:40 PM CST
Suspects Still at Large After 6 Killed in California Home
Baby, 17-year-old mom are among the dead
- Six people—including a 17-year-old mother and her 6-month-old baby—were killed in a shooting early Monday at a home in central California, and authorities are searching for at least two suspects, sheriff's officials said. Deputies responded around 3:30am to reports of multiple shots fired at the residence...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.