Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Book About Her
Effort to Free Him
Nov 25, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Her Book About Her Kidnapper Triggers Effort to Free Him
Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy cites discrepancies between book, testimony
- Sharon Muse Johnson's 2020 book is titled,
Kidnapped by a Client: The Incredible True Story of a Lawyer’s Fight for Justice
. Now some are taking issue with that "true" part and are fighting to get a man's conviction overturned. Frankie Covington is 16 years into a...
Kentucky School Bus
Crash Injures 18 Kids
Nov 15, 2022 12:01 AM CST
Kentucky School Bus Crash Injures 18 Kids
Driver also injured
- A school bus crashed over an embankment and landed on its side Monday morning in rural Kentucky, sending 18 children and the driver to hospitals with injuries ranging from minor to severe, authorities said Monday. Pupils from elementary age through high school were aboard the bus en route to classes...
CDC Gives OK to Go to
Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
Sep 5, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
CDC Gives OK to Go to Wendy's Amid E. Coli Outbreak
6 states report illnesses, with most of those sick saying they ate Wendy's meals with romaine lettuce
- An E. coli surge in four states has now made its way to an additional two states. The CDC reports that New York and Kentucky have joined the list of states affected by the outbreak, including Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, the latter of which has seen 58 of the...
Biden Visits Kentucky,
Views Flood Damage
Aug 8, 2022 1:51 PM CDT
Biden Visits Kentucky, Views Flood Damage
He promises more federal assistance
- President Biden and first lady Jill Biden on Monday witnessed the damage from deadly and devastating storms that have resulted in the worst flooding in Kentucky's history , as they visited the state to meet with families and first responders. At least 37 people have died since last month's...
Hundreds Unaccounted for
in Kentucky, Death Toll Rises
Aug 1, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Hundreds Unaccounted for in Kentucky, Death Toll Rises
More severe rains are expected Tuesday
- Search-and-rescue crews continue to scour backroads and hollows in eastern Kentucky following catastrophic flooding last week. Officials raised the death toll to 35 , and they expect it to keep climbing. Hundreds of people remain unaccounted for, reports the
Lexington Herald Leader,
but it’s nearly impossible to pin down an...
Kids Were Slowly
Washed Away as
Family Clung to Tree
Jul 30, 2022 5:20 AM CDT
Kids Were Slowly Washed Away as Family Clung to Tree
Amber Smith and Riley Noble's 4 children died in Kentucky's flash floods
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear on Friday warned it could take weeks for the state to arrive at a final death toll in the flash floods that killed at least 25 people, reports the AP . And while some victims may have yet to be found, four of the confirmed dead have...
Kentucky Governor: Death Toll
Is 'Going to Get a Lot Higher'
Jul 29, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Kentucky Governor: Death Toll Is 'Going to Get a Lot Higher'
So far, 16 people have died in record flooding
- Rescue teams searched Friday for people missing in record floods that wiped out entire communities in some of the poorest places in America. Kentucky’s governor said 16 people have died, a toll he predicted will grow as the rain keeps falling. "I expect that number to more than...
Jul 28, 2022 4:11 PM CDT
Kentucky Flooding Is 'Catastrophic'
Death toll at 3, but governor warns that will rise
- Devastating rain hit St. Louis first . Now it's Kentucky's turn. Rescue workers plucked people off rooftops amid fast-rising water Thursday in central Appalachia, where torrential rains unleashed devastating flooding that caused at least three deaths in Kentucky, per the AP . Gov. Andy Beshear announced the deaths but predicted...
He Built a Mansion to Protect
His Family. It Didn't Work
Jul 23, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
He Built a Mansion to Protect His Family. It Didn't Work
C. Wesley Morgan's daughter was murdered in the home in February
- For years, C. Wesley Morgan lived in a $6.5 million Kentucky estate, a 14,300-square-foot home complete with three kitchens and a saltwater pool. But for the last few months, he has lived with his wife and teen daughter in an RV. "My wife and my daughter haven'...
Mensa Welcomes Its
Youngest Member Ever
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Mensa Welcomes Its Youngest Member Ever
Parents of Kentucky 2-year-old Isla McNabb say she already reads at kindergarten level
- Mensa has a new member, and she's still in diapers. Meet 2-year-old Isla McNabb of the Louisville suburb of Crestwood, Ky., a precocious little girl the IQ society says is now its youngest member ever. Isla's parents say even though she does standard toddler things—plays with toys,...
Teacher of the Year Quits
Over LGBTQ Treatment
Jun 27, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
Teacher of the Year Quits Over LGBTQ Treatment
Kentucky district didn't act after public accusations of 'grooming'
- Kentucky's 2022 teacher of the year says he put up with harassment and administration efforts to diminish LGBTQ identities for years because he thought it was important for students in his rural high school to have a thriving, openly gay teacher in their classroom. Willie Carter Jr. still thinks...
Louisville Police Seeking
Man Who Punched Mayor
Jun 21, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Louisville Police Seeking Man Who Punched Mayor
Greg Fischer was assaulted at a public event over the weekend
- Police are searching for a different kind of Louisville slugger after a suspect was captured on video punching the mayor of Kentucky's largest city on Saturday. Greg Fischer was mingling in a crowd at a Juneteenth event at the Fourth Street Live! entertainment complex when a man walked up...
Rival Has Most
Ad of 2022
Jun 3, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Rand Paul Rival Has Most Controversial Ad of 2022
Charles Booker wears a noose to criticize Kentucky Senate incumbent
- It's a political ad that begins with a content warning. And the reason soon becomes clear in the controversial spot unveiled this week by Rand Paul challenger Charles Booker in Kentucky. Booker, who is Black, wears a noose and describes Paul as "the person who singlehandedly blocked an...
Doctor Used 'Flower Delivery' as
Code for Hit on Her Ex: Cops
Jun 1, 2022 2:15 AM CDT
Doctor Used 'Flower Delivery' as Code for Hit on Her Ex: Cops
Dr. Stephanie Russell of Kentucky is currently jailed
- A Kentucky pediatrician is accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill her ex-husband for $7,000. Authorities say Dr. Stephanie Russell, upset her ex had won custody of their kids, spoke to people who had connections to her medical practice about her idea, and one (who worked...
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Override Veto of Abortion Ban
Apr 14, 2022 4:40 AM CDT
Kentucky Lawmakers Override Veto of Abortion Ban
Activists say measure will force state's only 2 abortion clinics to close
- New abortion restrictions passed by Republican lawmakers over the Democratic governor's veto will force the only two abortion clinics in Kentucky to stop providing the procedures for women, at least temporarily, while the new law is challenged in court, abortion-rights activists said Wednesday. The law will draw immediate federal...
Body of Missing Girl
in Kentucky Is Discovered
Feb 21, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Body of Missing Girl in Kentucky Is Discovered
Mother, boyfriend charged in death of 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney
A sad end to the long search for 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney in Kentucky—authorities have found her body in a wooded area, reports WAVE . Serenity was last seen alive on Christmas Eve of 2020. Her mother, 21-year-old Catherine McKinney of Shepherdsville, and her mother's boyfriend, 26-year-old Dakota...
After Alleged Attacker
Freed, Candidate Says
System Is 'Broken'
Feb 18, 2022 8:30 AM CST
After Alleged Attacker Freed, Candidate Says System Is 'Broken'
Fund co-founded by BLM put up $100K bail after shooting at Craig Greenberg's office
- A Democratic candidate for mayor of Louisville says the fact that the man charged with trying to kill him on Monday was able to walk out of jail on Wednesday shows that "our criminal justice system is clearly broken." Social activist Quintez Brown, 21, was released Wednesday after...
Killer Pardoned by Governor
Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Jan 19, 2022 1:45 AM CST
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Patrick Baker gets 42 years
The man pardoned by Kentucky's former governor for a 2014 murder is going back to prison for 42 years for the same murder. Patrick Baker, who was prosecuted the second time in federal court under the "dual sovereignty doctrine" since his first conviction was in state court,...
Office Cat Found in Rubble
9 Days After Tornado
Dec 23, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Office Cat Found in Rubble 9 Days After Tornado
'If cats actually have nine lives, he probably used up about eight of them'
- Nine days after a tornado demolished his three-story office building in downtown Mayfield, Kentucky, Sonny "Hoot" Gibson was standing in the rubble when he thought he heard a faint meow. It instantly gave him hope that his office cat, Madix, who hadn't been seen since before the storms...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.