Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The 'Nones' Are the 'Small but
Mighty' Group Voting for Dems
Dec 3, 2022 11:30 AM CST
The 'Nones' Are the 'Small but Mighty' Group Voting for Dems
Per AP VoteCast, voters with no religious affiliation supported Dem candidates, by a lot, in midterms
- When members of the small Pennsylvania chapter of Secular Democrats of America log on for their monthly meetings, they're not there for a virtual happy hour. "We don't sit around at our meetings patting ourselves on the back for not believing in God together," said founder...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Christians, Not-So-Great News Coming
Pew finds Christianity on track to no longer be America's majority religion within decades
- Christianity is currently the majority religion in the United States, but it's not on track to stay that way. CBS News reports on a new study by Pew Research Center and the General Social Survey that examines various scenarios of religious "switching" over the next few decades, and...
They Haven't Come
Knocking in 2-Plus
Years. They're Back
Sep 4, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
They Haven't Come Knocking in 2-Plus Years. They're Back
Jehovah's Witnesses making in-person rounds again after a pandemic hiatus since March 2020
- Jehovah's Witnesses have restarted their door-to-door ministry after more than two and a half years on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, reviving a religious practice that the faith considers crucial and cherished. From coast to coast, members of the Christian denomination fanned out in cities and towns Thursday...
Gallup: US Belief
in God Hits a New Low
Jun 17, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Gallup: US Belief in God Hits a New Low
It's dropped by 6% over the last 5 years
- The last five years has apparently taken a big toll on Americans' belief in God—especially among the young, the liberal, and Democrats. Gallup says that in its latest poll , a new low of 81% of Americans said they believed in God, down from 87% in 2017 and from a...
Slick Series About Jesus
Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
Nov 30, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Slick Series About Jesus Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
'The Chosen' is breaking new ground on that front, reports the 'Wall Street Journal'
- Like any Hollywood-esque production depicting Jesus' Sermon on the Mount,
needed plenty of extras for the scene. The twist here: In this case, the extras actually paid for the privilege, with most shelling out at least $1,000 each. Welcome to the unusual—and successful—production model of...
US Church Membership
Hits Record Low
Mar 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
US Church Membership Hits Record Low
Gallup says rate has fallen below 50% for the first time
- If you're an American who belongs to a church, synagogue, or mosque, you're now in a minority, according to a new Gallup poll . Gallup says church membership has fallen below 50% to a record low of 47%, largely due to a corresponding increase in the proportion of people...
Christian Group: 'Trump
Has Used Christianity'
Oct 17, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Christian Group: 'Trump Has Used Christianity'
'Not Our Faith' rolls out 6-figure TV and digital ad campaign
- A group of prominent Christians from both sides of the aisle, including a past faith adviser to former President Barack Obama, is forming a political action committee designed to chip away at Christian support for President Trump in the final weeks of the 2020 campaign, the AP reports. Dubbed Not...
Man Says He Was Hypnotized
Aug 19, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Man Says He Was Hypnotized Into Marrying
Dash's estranged husband says pastor used 'hypnotic prayer techniques'
- Jeffrey Marty says he married Stacey Dash because he was entranced—and not in a good way. In a court filing, the
star's estranged husband says he married her on April 6, 2018, 10 days after her pastor "unexpectedly and suddenly proclaimed that it was God's...
Aug 6, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
Trump Says Biden Opposes Guns, Energy. Also, 'He's Against God'
Democrat's campaign says he lives his faith 'with dignity'
- President Trump warned Thursday of a radically different future for Americans under a President Joe Biden. "Take away your guns, take away your Second Amendment. No religion, no anything," Trump told supporters at the Cleveland airport. "Hurt the Bible. Hurt God. He’s against God." The...
Supreme Court Gives Victory
to Conservatives on Schools
Jun 30, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Victory to Conservatives on Schools
Upholds Montana program that aids religious schools
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday made it easier for religious schools to obtain public funds, upholding a Montana scholarship program that allows state tax credits for private schooling, per the AP . The court's 5-4 ruling, with conservatives in the majority, came in a dispute over a Montana scholarship program...
2019 Was a Bad Year
for One Kind of Killing
Dec 14, 2019 11:30 AM CST
2019 Was a Bad Year for One Kind of Killing
From Burkina Faso to California, houses of worship came under deadly fire
- On Dec. 1, a band of assailants opened fire on worshippers at a small-town Protestant church in Burkina Faso, an impoverished West African country where the Christian minority is increasingly a target of attacks. The victims included the pastor and several teenage boys; regional authorities attributed the attack to “...
Same-Sex Marriage Clash Ends
With Church, Pastor Removed
Jun 30, 2019 9:58 AM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Clash Ends With Church, Pastor Removed
Minneapolis congregation plans to continue
- A Minneapolis denomination has evicted a church and defrocked its pastor over longstanding differences on same-sex marriage. The Evangelical Covenant Church voted to remove First Covenant Church and the Rev. Dan Collison, the
reports. It's the first time that a pastor and church have been kicked out...
He Was Once a Slave.
Now He May Become a Saint
Jun 13, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
He Was Once a Slave. Now He May Become a Saint
Pope deems Augustus Tolton, America's first black Roman Catholic priest, 'venerable'
- Pope Francis on Wednesday deemed the first known black Roman Catholic priest in the US to be "venerable," positioning the ex-slave for possible sainthood. The pontiff's designation of the Rev. Augustus Tolton as venerable, meaning the church intensely scrutinized his life and recognizes it as one of...
Dec 13, 2018 8:56 AM CST
LDS Church Supporters Cry 'Blasphemy' Over
Promo looks strikingly like painting of Jesus commissioned by the church
Once Upon a Deadpool
opened nationwide Wednesday, and while it's earning tepid reviews , its promo poster is drawing more heated reaction. Who's hot about it: supporters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which boasts a painting that looks to be the inspiration for the
Einstein's 'God Letter'
Fetches Ungodly Price
Dec 5, 2018 1:54 AM CST
Einstein's 'God Letter' Fetches Ungodly Price
Christie's unloads document calling 'the word God' as 'product of human weakness' for nearly $3M
- Albert Einstein didn't hold back in his famous 1954 "God letter," which fetched nearly $3 million at a Christie's auction Tuesday. "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still...
Einstein's 'God Letter' Expected
to Fetch 7 Figures at Auction
Dec 4, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Einstein's 'God Letter' Expected to Fetch 7 Figures at Auction
1954 note declares religion as 'superstitition'
- "The word God is for me nothing but the expression of and product of human weaknesses." Even now, more than 60 years later, Albert Einstein's words carry some shock value—which is why auction house Christie's expects to nab up to $1.5 million with the...
10 Countries With the Biggest
Generation Gap on Religion
Jun 13, 2018 6:02 PM CDT
10 Countries With the Biggest Generation Gap on Religion
In 46 of 106 countries, adults under 40 were less religious than adults 40 and over
- Is there a generation gap when it comes to religious belief? A new study by Pew Research Center surveyed religious beliefs in 106 countries over the last decade and found that in 46 of them, individuals between the ages of 18 and 39 were less religious than those 40 and...
For Americans, This
Is the 'Face of God'
Jun 12, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
For Americans, This Is the 'Face of God'
Ryan Gosling, is that you?
- You can now say you've stared into the face of God, or at least a face Americans believe resembles it. Surprisingly, there's no beard in sight. Instead, faces selected from pairs of photos by more than 500 US Christians tasked with choosing their vision of God combine to...
Why a Church
in South Africa
Is Causing a Buzz
Apr 21, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
Why a Church in South Africa Is Causing a Buzz
Not everyone loves that Gabola Church celebrates drinking
- Dressed in a red robe and a gold-trimmed bishop's miter, the clergyman pours whiskey into his cupped hand and anoints the forehead of the man sitting before him. "You are hereby invested as a minister," he says. He hands the remaining whiskey to the new minister, who...
May Soon Have to
Mar 22, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Tenn. Schools May Soon Have to Show 'Cornerstone of Freedom'
Bill to prominently display national motto of 'In God We Trust' now on Gov. Haslam's desk
- It's up to Bill Haslam now whether one of America's most famous mottos ends up prominently displayed in his state's schools. The
reports a bill is headed toward the Tennessee governor's desk to call for the conspicuous display in schools of the "In God...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.