Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pink Has a
Nov 14, 2023 8:31 AM CST
Pink Has a Feisty Response to Florida Book Bans
Singer will give out thousands of banned or restricted books at Miami, Sunrise concerts this week
- Groups and individuals have said they're boycotting visits to Florida and refusing to hold events in the Sunshine State due to Gov. Ron DeSantis' new laws on gender-affirming care, abortion, gun ownership, and teaching race- and LGBTQ+-themed subjects in school, among others. Pink is taking a different tack: The...
Buttigieg Weighs In
on Mike Johnson's
Nov 3, 2023 1:56 PM CDT
Buttigieg Weighs In on Mike Johnson's LGBTQ+ Views
Transportation secretary zings new House speaker on Colbert show: 'Maybe we'll just have him over'
- Mike Johnson has been withstanding quite a bit of scrutiny since he ascended last month from being a virtually unknown Republican congressman to his current role as speaker of the House. Especially in the spotlight: the Louisiana lawmaker's anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric over the years, which has now spurred Pete...
Trans Teen, Family
'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Trans Teen, Family 'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
'New Yorker' piece dives into how laws in Tennessee, and in South in general, have affected LGBTQ youth
- Tennessee has passed nearly 20 anti-LGBTQ+ laws since 2015, among the highest in the nation, per the Human Rights Campaign. For Kristen Chapman, that number is more than just a statistic—it proved to be the death knell for her family's future in the Volunteer State, as her 17-year-daughter,...
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India,
a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Oct 17, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
For LGBTQ+ Advocates in India, a 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Nation's top court punts decision on same-sex marriage to Parliament
- India's top court on Tuesday refused to legalize same-sex marriages, passing the responsibility back to Parliament in a ruling that disappointed campaigners for LGBTQ+ rights in the world's most populous country. Chief Justice DY Chandrachud also urged the government to uphold the rights of the queer community and...
Author's Kids Book Flagged
for a 'Laughable' Reason
Oct 9, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Author's Kids Book Flagged for a 'Laughable' Reason
Picture book placed on review list for Alabama library due to writer Mary-Louise Gay's last name
- Marie-Louise Gay's children's books often pop up on various recommended lists, like "books to watch for" and books that "inspire a love of reading." At one Alabama library, however, one of the award-winning Canadian author and illustrator's picture books was placed on a list...
Aug 31, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Critics Call Governor's New 'Common Sense' Order 'Ridiculous'
Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen's order narrowly defines 'male' and 'female,' angering trans advocates
- This week, a second governor put his name to an executive order that more rigidly defines an individual's sex, in what he deems a boost to women's rights and what critics say is an attack on the transgender community. The AP reports that Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen signed...
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+
Warning on Travel to US
Aug 30, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+ Warning on Travel to US
'Check relevant state and local laws' before heading to US, Canada's advisory tells tourists
- The Canadian government updated its advisory for travel to the United States on Tuesday, and one section that stands out is directed toward LGBTQ+ tourists. "Some states have enacted laws and policies that may affect 2SLGBTQI+ persons," the short section in the advisory from the Global Affairs Canada...
Nearly 70 Face Prison for
Attending Nigerian Wedding
Aug 29, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Nearly 70 Face Prison for Attending Nigerian Wedding
It was a gay wedding, and homosexuality is outlawed in the African nation
- Police in Nigeria said Tuesday they detained at least 67 people celebrating a gay wedding in one of the largest mass detentions targeting homosexuality, which is outlawed in the West African country. The "gay suspects" were arrested in southern Delta state's Ekpan town about 2am Monday at an...
Chess Federation Bans
Trans Women Pending Review
Aug 17, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Chess Federation Bans Trans Women Pending Review
Trans women have 'no right to participate' in female events ahead of FIDE ruling
- The world's top chess federation has ruled that transgender women can't compete in its official events for females until an assessment of gender change is made by its officials. The decision by the Switzerland-based International Chess Federation (FIDE) was published on Monday and has drawn criticism from advocacy...
Aug 16, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Backlash to Pride Merch Hurt Target
Retailer sees quarterly sales fall for the first time in 6 years
- Target's quarterly sales dropped for the first time in six years, due in part to the "strong reaction" to its Pride month offerings, the company said Wednesday. Sales at stores open for at least a year fell 5.4% last quarter, while foot traffic declined 4.8%, CNN...
Does James Like to Be Called
Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Aug 11, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Does James Like to Be Called Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Some districts now want parental OK before using nicknames, alternate names for trans students
- A new school year has kicked off in many spots in the South, and two counties in Florida are already making waves for a correspondence that's been delivered to educators and parents. WESH reports that Seminole County sent an email to families this week noting that if their kids...
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance
on Youth Gender Treatments
Aug 4, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance on Youth Gender Treatments
American Academy of Pediatrics backs medical care for trans youth, but calls for deeper research
- In 2018, the American Academy of Pediatrics took a firm stance in supporting that youth who are transgender and gender diverse "have access to comprehensive, gender-affirming, and developmentally appropriate health care." Now, nearly five years later, the medical group, which represents 67,000 US physicians, is re-upping that...
Male Coach Is
First in NFL to
Come Out as Gay
Jul 21, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
Male Coach Is First in NFL to Come Out as Gay
Jacksonville Jaguars strength coach Kevin Maxen says he hopes to inspire others
- In a big moment for LGBTQ+ representation in sports, Jacksonville Jaguars strength coach Kevin Maxen has become the first male coach in a major US men's pro sports league to come out as gay. Maxen, a former Division III linebacker who has been with the Jaguars since 2021, tells...
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Salon That Refuses to Serve
Trans Clients Gets an Earful
Jul 14, 2023 7:48 AM CDT
Salon That Refuses to Serve Trans Clients Gets an Earful
Local pols, hair care firm slam 'breathtaking hate' by Studio 8 Hair Lab in Michigan's Traverse City
- Last month, the Supreme Court ruled that a Colorado web designer can refuse to create sites for same-sex weddings, a blow for LGBTQ+ rights. Now, just weeks after that decision, a Michigan hair salon owner is refusing to serve some members of that community, including transgender customers. In a now-scrubbed...
Scores a First
Jul 10, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Miss Netherlands Scores a First
Rikkie Valerie Kolle is the first trans woman with the crown and will compete for Miss Universe
- Here she is—Miss Netherlands. And for the first time, Miss Netherlands is a transgender woman. With her new crown, Rikkie Valerie Kolle will be the second trans woman to compete for the title of Miss Universe later this year, NPR reports. Kolle is looking to support young women and...
Document in SCOTUS LGBTQ+
Case Is Raising Eyebrows
Jun 30, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Document in SCOTUS LGBTQ+ Case Is Raising Eyebrows
'Gay' man whose inquiry is evidence tells 'New Republic' he never made that inquiry—and isn't gay
- One of the Supreme Court's final rulings for this term is due out Friday regarding LGBTQ+ rights, but ahead of its release comes a report on a key document in the case. It appears that document may be phony, reports the
, which notes that "[raises] the possibility...
She Could Be
US' First Trans
Jun 26, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
She Could Be US' First Trans Congresswoman
Sarah McBride, a Delaware state senator, is launching campaign for seat as a US rep
- Sarah McBride won her race for Delaware state senator in 2020 with 70% of the vote, becoming the nation's first transgender state senator. In her reelection race, no one bothered to oppose her. The 32-year-old is hoping to translate that popularity into yet another first for a trans lawmaker:...
With Clock Running Out, a Slew
of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Jun 26, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
With Clock Running Out, a Slew of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Affirmative action and religious and gay rights are also on the agenda before this term closes
- The Supreme Court is getting ready to decide some of its biggest cases of the term. The high court has 10 opinions left to release over the next week before the justices begin their summer break. As is typical, the last opinions to be released cover some of the most...
Musk Says This Word Is a
'Slur' on Twitter. Except It's Not
Jun 22, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Musk Says This Word Is a 'Slur' on Twitter. Except It's Not
Platform's owner threatens suspension if people use 'cisgender' in 'repeated, targeted harassment'
- A complaint on Twitter about a word has led to Elon Musk declaring it a "slur." The word is "cisgender" (or "cis," for short), which per Merriam-Webster , signifies "a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex the person had or was identified as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.