Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Our Recreational
Choice, a Big First
Aug 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
In Our Recreational Substances of Choice, a Big First
11% of US adults tell Gallup they smoke cigarettes; pot smokers surpass that for first time, with 16%
- In the mid-1950s, nearly half of US adults copped to smoking cigarettes. After decades of PSAs and warnings from the medical community on the dangers of smoking, it's probably not surprising that that figure has plummeted to just 11%—and it's now been surpassed by Americans who say...
What Brings Meaning to Life?
Depends Who's Weighing In
Nov 25, 2021 11:20 AM CST
What Brings Meaning to Life? Depends Who's Weighing In
Faith is a most popular response in the US, but nowhere else
- Try not to underappreciate your family this Thanksgiving. According to Pew Research Center , family is the No. 1 source of meaning among 18,850 adults in 17 advanced economies, who were asked between February and May to rank 17 possible sources of meaning in their lives. Family was the top...
Dixie State University Gets
a Controversial Name Change
Nov 11, 2021 12:54 AM CST
Dixie State University Gets a Controversial Name Change
Utah Legislature votes for change to Utah Tech University
Dixie State University will likely soon be called Utah Tech University. The Republican-controlled state legislature in Utah voted to change the name Wednesday, despite local outcry from those who insisted the regional importance of the word "Dixie" is separate from the word's association with slavery, the AP...
Survey Finds Awareness of
Major Holocaust Fact Is Lacking
Nov 10, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Survey Finds Awareness of Major Holocaust Fact Is Lacking
52% of UK respondents didn't know how many Jews were murdered
- A survey released Wednesday found what organizers say is a lack of awareness in Britain about the Holocaust and a major episode in the country's rescue of Jews ahead of World War II, reports the AP . The Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, a New York-based group that...
Users Want Their Cannabis
in Edibles, Survey Finds
Oct 7, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Users Want Their Cannabis in Edibles, Survey Finds
Most say they'd share them with grandparents
- Most users prefer to get their cannabis from a gummy than by smoking, and 60% of them would be fine with passing the bowl to their grandparents, a survey has found. The online survey measured sometimes-changing attitudes toward cannabis from users and nonusers,
reports. As for preferences, there could...
These Are the Jobs Your
Partner Wishes You Had
Aug 19, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
These Are the Jobs Your Partner Wishes You Had
Zippia lists most, least attractive jobs for a partner from the perspective of men and women
- Working in health care probably doesn't feel all that sexy during a pandemic. But it does look that way in a new survey. Zippia asked 1,000 workers about what common jobs they thought were most attractive for a romantic partner out of a list of 250, and the...
900 Women Had Period Issues
After Portland Protests
Apr 29, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
900 Women Had Period Issues After Portland Protests
Survey raises concerns about the effect of tear gas on endocrine system
- A new study is lending credence to widespread claims from protesters that tear gas messed with their periods. Dozens of protesters told media outlets about period irregularities, which they blamed on tear gas exposure, following protests across the country last summer. Now, those claims take center stage in an anonymous...
His Drone Took
Apr 26, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
His Drone Took Property Pics. Surveyors Didn't Like That
Man running business capturing land images for realtors sues after NC grounds his drone
- When Michael Jones started a side hustle shooting drone photos and videos for real estate agents, his clients wanted more images with property lines on them, to better understand where their fences should be. It seemed like a good use of emerging technology that met an obvious consumer demand, and...
Health Care Workers Haven't
All Lined Up for Vaccinations
Mar 20, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Health Care Workers Haven't All Lined Up for Vaccinations
Nearly half haven't had a shot, survey finds, despite being given priority
- Frontline US medical workers were given a spot at the front of the vaccine line, but nearly half still have not taken advantage of the offer. A survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the
found that 52% have received at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine. That...
7 Years Historians Say
Were Worse Than 2020
in case you missed it
Jan 3, 2021 6:30 PM CST
7 Years Historians Say Were Worse Than 2020
The US has seen plenty of bad times
- You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd say 2020 was great, but a group of 28 historians says there have been other years in US history that were even worse than this one, CBS News reports. In a survey conducted by self-help therapy app company Bloom, the academics...
Nurses Are Wearing Out
Oct 11, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
French Survey: Nurses Are Wearing Out
Most say working conditions have worsened during the pandemic
- A significant number of French nurses responding to a poll say they are tired and fed up, with 37% saying that the coronavirus pandemic is making them want to change jobs. The survey published Sunday comes as COVID-19 infection rates soar across the nation. Health authorities counted nearly 26,900...
10% of US Young Adults Think
Jews Caused the Holocaust
Sep 16, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
10% of US Young Adults Think Jews Caused the Holocaust
Survey results cast as 'shocking,' 'astounding'
- Nearly two-thirds of young adults in America don't know about the Holocaust, the greatest crime of the last century, which some fear could be repeated. That's according to a survey of 11,000 adults ages 18 to 39. Some 23% said they believed the Holocaust was exaggerated, a...
Americans Haven't Been
This Glum in 50 Years
Jun 16, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Americans Haven't Been This Glum in 50 Years
Happiness survey registers 48-year low amid pandemic
- Spoiler alert: 2020 has been rough on the American psyche. Folks in the US are more unhappy today than they've been in nearly 50 years, according to the COVID Response Tracking Study , conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago. Highlights, per the AP :
Just 14% of American adults
28% of Food Delivery Drivers
'Violate Their Sacred Duty'
Aug 1, 2019 8:50 AM CDT
28% of Food Delivery Drivers 'Violate Their Sacred Duty'
By snacking on your order, per US Foods survey
- See fewer fries than normal in your fast-food delivery order? The restaurant might not be to blame. Food delivery drivers "violate their sacred duty by taking some of the food!" according to foodservice distributor US Foods , which surveyed 500 drivers as well as 1,500 American users of...
Red- and White-Wine
Drinkers Are Very Different
May 25, 2019 10:08 AM CDT
Red- and White-Wine Drinkers Are Very Different
A poll of 2K adult Americans tells you the details
- Clearly white-wine drinkers prefer punk music and red-wine lean toward jazz—didn't you know? As part of National Wine Day, a poll is out revealing the self-proclaimed personality traits and wine preferences of 2,000 Americans over the age of 21, per the
New York Post
. Conducted by One...
One Part of the World
Is Pretty Positive
Apr 26, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
One Part of the World Is Pretty Positive
Gallup poll: Latin American nations tend to have less negativity
- Feeling angry, worried, and stressed? So is the rest of the world, though some areas are more prone to those feelings than others. That's per Gallup's "Global Emotions" report , cited by the BBC , which surveyed 151,000 people in more than 140 countries to gauge their negative...
Sex Lives Are Changing
Mar 30, 2019 3:20 PM CDT
Young Americans' Sex Lives Are Changing
Young men's especially, it seems
- Guys, really—it's time to stop leveling up on
. A new General Social Survey shows Americans are having much less sex and young men are partly the cause, the
reports. The 2018 survey says nearly one in four adults had no sex over the past year,...
Parents Complain About
Survey Sent to Fifth Graders
Oct 13, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Parents Complain About Survey Sent to Fifth Graders
It asked about their sexual history and gender identity
- A survey that asked fifth-grade students in Vermont about their sexual history, preference, and gender identity has drawn complaints from parents, the AP reports. The survey sent to Windsor Elementary School students was conducted by WISE, a nonprofit domestic violence prevention and advocacy group, WPTZ-TV reported. A notice was sent...
Officials Make Admission
About Alien Life
Aug 18, 2018 3:50 PM CDT
Officials Make Admission About Alien Life
Germany admits it lacks plan for extra-terrestrials
- The German government says it has made no preparations for the possibility that aliens might land in the European country, the AP reports. In a response to questions from opposition Green Party lawmaker Dieter Janecek, the government says "there are no protocols or plans for a possible first contact...
41% of Americans Have
to Ask, 'What's Auschwitz?'
Apr 12, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
41% of Americans Have to Ask, 'What's Auschwitz?'
Survey results show need for Holocaust education: official
- Thursday is Holocaust Remembrance Day, and a new survey suggests the day is sorely needed. The results show that many Americans, particularly young adults, lack a basic understanding of the Nazi genocide during World War II. Though 96% of respondents said the Holocaust took place, 31% believe a maximum of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.