Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Hamas Missile Hit Base
That Has Nuclear Weaponry
Dec 4, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Report: Hamas Missile Hit Base That Has Nuclear Weaponry
'New York Times' says the warheads themselves were not struck in Israel
New York Times
has a disturbing report out of Israel, where it says a Hamas missile struck a military base that houses nuclear weaponry. However, none of Israel's nuclear warheads were hit, according to the story by investigative reporter Riley Mellen. The Oct. 7 rocket struck the Sdot...
Israeli Official Suspended
After Talk of Nuclear Attack
Nov 5, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Israeli Official Suspended After Talk of Nuclear Attack
Netanyahu, defense minister denounce the comment
- Israel's heritage minister has been suspended from office indefinitely after suggesting in an interview that Israel could drop a nuclear bomb on Gaza. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took the action after Amichai Eliyahu's radio interview aired Sunday, Politico reports. Reasoning that there are "no non-combatants in Gaza,...
Putin Move Raises Fears
of More Nuclear Tests
Nov 2, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Putin Move Raises Fears of More Nuclear Tests
Russian leader signs bill revoking ratification of test ban treaty
- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday signed a bill revoking Russia's ratification of a global nuclear test ban, a move that Moscow said was needed to establish parity with the United States. Putin has said that rescinding the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, also known as the CTBT, would...
China Preps for Assault
With Tips Learned From Russia
Oct 20, 2023 1:21 PM CDT
China Preps for Assault With Tips Learned From Russia
Government looks to limit the effect of potential sanctions as it builds up military capability
- A Pentagon report on China's military power says Beijing is exceeding previous projections of how quickly it is building up its nuclear weapons arsenal and is "almost certainly" learning lessons from Russia's war in Ukraine about what a conflict over Taiwan might look like, per the AP...
Soldiers' Tricky Mission: Tend
Aging Nuclear Arsenal of US
Oct 1, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Soldiers' Tricky Mission: Tend Aging Nuclear Arsenal of US
The AP is given a look at the delicate process
- In an ultra-sterile room at a secure factory in Kansas City, US government technicians refurbish the nation's nuclear warheads. The job is exacting: Each warhead has thousands of springs, gears, and copper contacts that must work in conjunction to set off a nuclear explosion. Eight hundred miles away in...
As N. Korea
Jul 28, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
As N. Korea Displays Nukes, a Message From Putin
Russian leader thanked North for its 'firm support' amid Victory Day celebrations in Pyongyang
- Pyongyang hosted quite a military parade Thursday evening, complete with tens of thousands of spectators, a display of North Korea's nuclear weaponry , and delegates from Russia and China . The event, marking the 70th anniversary of the armistice that stopped the fighting in the Korean War, also saw a special...
We Got Atomic Bombs.
St. Louis Paid a Price
Jul 15, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
We Got Atomic Bombs. St. Louis Paid a Price
A joint investigation finds health risks, spills to the St. Louis area were ignored
- The federal government and companies responsible for nuclear bomb production and atomic waste storage sites in the St. Louis area in the mid-20th century were aware of health risks, spills, improperly stored contaminants, and other problems—but often ignored them, finds an investigation done in collaboration by the AP , the...
Think Tank Issues Dire
Warning About World's Nukes
Jun 12, 2023 2:12 PM CDT
Think Tank Issues Dire Warning About World's Nukes
'We are drifting into one of the most dangerous periods in human history,' says group after count goes up
- A Swedish think tank that keeps tabs on nuclear weapons around the world issued quite a statement Monday to describe the state of things: "We are drifting into one of the most dangerous periods in human history," said Dan Smith of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, per...
Belarus Prez Promises
Nuclear Weapons to 'Everyone'
May 29, 2023 10:38 AM CDT
Belarus Prez Promises Nuclear Weapons to 'Everyone'
He urges other countries to join Russia-Belarus union
- Belarus has signed a deal to allow Russia to deploy nuclear weapons on its territory but President Alexander Lukashenko apparently doesn't want other former members of the Soviet Union to feel left out. In an interview aired on a state-run Russian channel Sunday, the Belarusian leader promised that "...
Belarus Signs Russia
Nuclear Weapons Deal
May 25, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Belarus Signs Russia Nuclear Weapons Deal
Weapons can now be deployed in Belarusian territory
- Russia and Belarus signed a deal on Thursday formalizing the procedure for deploying Russian nuclear weapons on Belarusian territory. Control of the weapons will remain with Moscow. The move formalized a deal agreed on earlier by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, the AP reports. Putin announced...
Kim: We'll Expand
Mar 28, 2023 5:01 AM CDT
Kim: We'll Expand Nuclear Arsenal 'Exponentially'
N. Korean strongman calls for nuclear scientists to boost production of weapons-grade material
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has called for his nuclear scientists to increase production of weapons-grade material to make bombs to put on his increasing range of weapons, the AP reports. The report in state media Tuesday followed a series of missile launches—seven launch events in this month...
Ukraine Takes Russia's
Nuclear Arms Plan to UN
Mar 26, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Ukraine Takes Russia's Nuclear Arms Plan to UN
Foreign ministry wants emergency session of Security Council
- Ukraine's government on Sunday called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council over Russian President Vladimir Putin's plans to station tactical atomic weapons in Belarus. Ukraine's Foreign Ministry condemned the move in urging the UN to step in. "Ukraine expects effective action to counter...
Russia to Put Tactical
Nuclear Weapons in Belarus
Mar 25, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Russia to Put Tactical Nuclear Weapons in Belarus
Putin argues it's like the US agreements with European nations
- President Vladimir Putin said Saturday that Russia will station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus. The allies struck an agreement after Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko raised the possibility, Putin told Russian state television, per the BBC . Russia will maintain control of the weapons, he said, likening the move to the US...
6 Officers Fired After Missile
Base Gets Inspection 'F'
Mar 2, 2023 6:50 PM CST
6 Officers Fired After Missile Base Gets Inspection 'F'
2 commanders, 4 subordinates relieved of command at North Dakota's Minot Air Force Base
- Six officers at an Air Force nuclear base were fired this week after units failed an inspection meant to ensure the nation's nuclear weapons stockpile is safe and secure, CNN reports. The two commanders and four subordinates "were in charge of caring for the infrastructure, fuel, and logistics...
Reports: N. Korea May
Have Enough ICBMs
to Overwhelm US
Feb 9, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Reports: N. Korea May Have Enough ICBMs to Overwhelm US
Pyongyang trotted out a dozen or so of what it says are Hwasong-17s at Wednesday military parade
- North Korea hosted a military parade Wednesday night in Pyongyang, a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the modern-day Korean People's Army. But one attraction in particular rolling down the streets of Kim Il Sung Square is now drawing international attention: what the nation's government claims were a...
Unwanted US Atom Bombs
Become Parts for New Ones
Jan 2, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Unwanted US Atom Bombs Become Parts for New Ones
Some experts call stockpile in warehouses dangerous and provocative to other nations
- In warehouses and bunkers throughout the nation, parts pulled from disassembled atomic bombs are stored, ready to be recycled into new weapons. Atomic bombs aren't thrown away when they're pulled from service, the
New York Times
reports; they're pulled apart and sent to the equivalent of a...
US: We See
Use Dirty Bomb
Oct 27, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
US: We See No Signs Putin Will Use Dirty Bomb
Defense chief Austin says Pentagon is keeping a close eye on Russia amid heightened rhetoric
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters Thursday that the US has still not seen anything to indicate that Russian President Vladimir Putin has decided to use a dirty bomb , per the AP . He said there are continued concerns that the conflict could escalate, and he said that’s why it...
Report: US Speeds Up
Upgrade of Nuclear
Arsenal in Europe
Oct 27, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Report: US Speeds Up Upgrade of Nuclear Arsenal in Europe
But there's no connection to Ukraine war, Pentagon says
- With nuclear tensions at their highest since the end of the Cold War, the US has stepped up plans to upgrade the arsenal of nuclear weapons it maintains at NATO military bases in Europe, Politico reports, citing a diplomatic cable and "two people familiar with the issue." According...
Pakistan Asks US Ambassador
to Explain a Biden Remark
Oct 15, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Pakistan Asks US Ambassador to Explain a Biden Remark
President questioned nation's nuclear weapons safety
- Pakistan has questions about President Biden's comment that it's "maybe one of the most dangerous nations in the world." Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari said Saturday he's called in US Ambassador Donald Blome in Islamabad for an explanation, Reuters reports. In a speech Thursday, Biden said...
on the Risk
Oct 7, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Biden Speaks on the Risk of Nuclear 'Armageddon'
Says it's at highest level since Cuban Missile Crisis
- President Biden said Thursday that the risk of nuclear “Armageddon” is at the highest level since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, as Russian officials speak of the possibility of using tactical nuclear weapons after suffering massive setbacks in the eight-month invasion of Ukraine. Speaking at a fundraiser for the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.