Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
72 Years After Battle, Vet Is
Still Waiting for Purple Heart
Nov 10, 2023 10:47 AM CST
72 Years After Battle, Vet Is Still Waiting for Purple Heart
Earl Meyer, 96, was wounded in Korean War
- Earl Meyer remembers in vivid detail when his platoon came under heavy fire during the Korean War—he still has shrapnel embedded in his thigh. But over 70 years later, the 96-year-old Minnesota resident is still waiting for the US Army to recognize his injury and to award him a...
John Kelly Confirms
Oct 4, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
John Kelly Confirms Trump Remarks on Veterans
Former WH chief of staff says ex-boss 'has no idea what America is all about'
- John Kelly, who served as chief of staff to former President Donald Trump, went on the record Monday to confirm "a number of damning stories" about Trump in a statement to CNN . And what a statement it is. Kelly described Trump as "a person who is not truthful...
Study Suggests More
Veterans Die of Suicide
Sep 18, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Study Suggests More Veterans Die of Suicide
Greater cooperation from states would help, nonprofit says
- The number of US military veterans who have died by suicide could be far higher than the Department of Veterans Affairs has reported, a new study indicates. America's Warrior Partnership, which works to eliminate veteran suicide, found that in eight states, the number of suicides was 1.37 times...
VA Makes 'Historic Shift'
on Abortion Access
Sep 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
VA Makes 'Historic Shift' on Abortion Access
Agency will start offering abortion access to veterans, even in states where procedure is banned
- The Department of Veterans Affairs hasn't offered abortions, or even counseling for patients considering one, to the former service members covered by its health care services. That's about to change, thanks to what the
calls a "historic shift" that will allow veterans and eligible family...
Burn Pits Bill Clears Senate
Aug 2, 2022 7:46 PM CDT
Burn Pits Bill Clears Senate
It's headed to Biden's desk after 86-11 vote
This story has been updated with new developments
. A bill to expand benefits for veterans exposed to toxic burn pits cleared the Senate Tuesday evening—days after Jon Stewart fiercely denounced Republicans who blocked its passage . The bill was approved in an 86-11 vote and it will now head to...
Another Nasty Side Effect
of COVID Rears Its Head
Feb 23, 2022 8:09 AM CST
Another Nasty Side Effect of COVID Rears Its Head
Millions potentially affected by heart problems as researchers warn of strained health systems
- People who've been infected with COVID-19 are at a "substantial" risk for cardiovascular diseases up to a year after infection, according to a study of US veterans, 99.7% of whom were unvaccinated. The study analyzed health data for 153,000 veterans who were infected up to January...
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift
From Long-Dead Friend
Jan 24, 2022 8:51 AM CST
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift From Long-Dead Friend
Edmonton Oilers T-shirt belonged to his best friend and fellow medic, killed in Afghanistan in 2008
- A Canadian veteran whose best friend and fellow service member was killed 13 years ago serving in Afghanistan got a surprise Christmas gift this year that drew out a cascade of feelings: his pal's Edmonton Oilers hockey T-shirt. The CBC reports on the emotional story of the friendship between...
'I Think We're Making History,'
Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
'I Think We're Making History,' Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Marc Olson died Tuesday during pioneer mission to battle Colorado wildfire at night
- A pilot who'd flown for 42 years—32 of those spent in the Army and Air Force— died Tuesday during a pioneering effort to fight a Colorado wildfire at night. Marc Thor Olson of CO Fire Aviation successfully completed a water drop over the Kruger Rock Fire in Larimer...
He Almost Fired on 3 Kids in
WWII. Now, a Joyous Reunion
Aug 24, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
He Almost Fired on 3 Kids in WWII. Now, a Joyous Reunion
'My heart is bursting,' says American vet Martin Adler, 97
- Martin Adler still has nightmares about his experience in World War II. But there are happy memories, too, like that day in October 1944 when he posed for a photo with three Italian children he'd nearly killed. Adler, then a 20-year-old private, had been searching the village of Monterenzio...
Report Finds Toll,
Possible Causes of
Jun 23, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Report Finds Toll, Possible Causes of Military Suicides
Greater funding of programs hasn't helped, Cost of War Project says
- More than four times as many US active military personnel and veterans involved in 21st century wars have died by suicide than were killed in fighting, a new report says. The report from Cost of War Project, run by Brown University and Boston University, listed a series of possible causes,...
Veteran, 35, Is Dying
From Burn Pit Exposure
Jun 21, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Veteran, 35, Is Dying From Burn Pit Exposure
He has terminal colon cancer after service in Iraq, Afghanistan
- It's an issue that Jon Stewart says has an "incredible similarity" to the health problems suffered by 9/11 first responders—and it's killing 35-year-old retired Staff Sgt. Wesley Black. He has terminal colon cancer that doctors have linked to exposure to burn pits during his time in...
Got Mic Shut Off
Jun 3, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Veteran Began Speaking About Black Americans, Got Mic Shut Off
Ohio American Legion investigating incident after Memorial Day event organizers admit to censoring
- Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter had an inspiring 11-minute speech planned as the keynote speaker at a Memorial Day event in Hudson, Ohio, including a bit about the history of the holiday. Partway through his address at a local cemetery, however, the microphone cut out for about two minutes....
80 Years Later
Mar 25, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Remains of Pearl Harbor Vet Identified, 80 Years Later
William Blanchard of Idaho died at age 24
- About 80 years after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, a veteran who died during the attacks has had his remains identified, per the AP . The remains of William Eugene Blanchard, who was killed at Pearl Harbor while serving on the USS Oklahoma , were identified through DNA testing conducted by an...
Family Sues After Vet
Dies Covered in Ant Bites
Feb 4, 2021 8:04 AM CST
Family Sues After Vet Dies Covered in Ant Bites
He was bitten more than 100 times in room at VA facility
- After serving his country for six years, Air Force veteran Joel Marrable died in a Veterans Affairs facility covered in more than 100 fire ant bites. The 73-year-old's three adult children are now suing the government, alleging that the bites contributed to his death days later. According to the...
Upset by Fellow Veterans in
Mob, Volunteers Battle Hate
Jan 14, 2021 7:25 PM CST
Upset by Fellow Veterans in Mob, Volunteers Battle Hate
Teams go through Capitol area and DC streets, removing signs of hate
- Just last year, after the death of George Floyd in police custody, a group of veterans called Continue to Serve was formed. David Smith had seen the unrest near the White House and wanted veterans to work for equality and justice. "When I saw Lafayette Square get cleared, I...
Wife of Top Military Officer
Was the Hero on Veterans Day
Nov 13, 2020 1:46 PM CST
Wife of Top Military Officer Was the Hero on Veterans Day
Hollyanne Milley, wife of JCoS leader Mark Milley, saved veteran who collapsed at ceremony
- As the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the nation's top military officer, Gen. Mark Milley is the one used to attracting attention at Veterans Day events. This year, however, his wife, Hollyanne, was the one who made headlines by saving a veteran's life during a...
Criminal Charges Filed
After Deaths of 76 at
Sep 25, 2020 1:37 PM CDT
Criminal Charges Filed After Deaths of 76 at Veterans' Facility
Mass. AG: Former officials Bennett Walsh, David Clinton made 'deadly decision' that caused deaths
- Two former officials at a Massachusetts veterans home have been hit with criminal charges after dozens died there during a COVID-19 outbreak. NBC Boston and CBS Boston report that Bennett Walsh, 50, the facility's former superintendent, and 71-year-old David Clinton, who served as the facility's medical director, are...
Jon Stewart's New Cause:
Military Burn Pit Victims
Sep 15, 2020 6:07 PM CDT
Jon Stewart's New Cause: Military Burn Pit Victims
Parallels to 9/11 are 'incredible,' he says
- Jon Stewart, long a passionate advocate for compensating 9/11 first responders, was in Washington Tuesday on behalf of a cause that he says has many similarities. Stewart is lobbying Congress for legislation that would assist Iraq and Afghanistan veterans exposed to burn pits, the
reports. More than 200,000...
Diss Vets Story,
as Other Outlets
Sep 4, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Trump Defenders Diss Vets Story, as Other Outlets Pile On
Fallout continues over report in the 'Atlantic'
- The big political story of the day is the scathing article by Jeffrey Goldberg in the
alleging that President Trump referred to America's war dead as "suckers" and "losers." It's a potentially damning piece two months before an election in which Trump can't...
Tied to Civil War
Has Been Paid Out
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Irene Triplett, last child of Civil War veteran getting a pension, has died at 90
- The word "mind-bending" features in the
Wall Street Journal
's obituary on Irene Triplett and her place in history, with good reason. The 90-year-old died Sunday in a Wilkesboro, NC, nursing home, bringing an end to the final pension that had been paid out in connection with the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.