Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
World Trade Center
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Jumps Into Pool
at 9/11 Memorial
Oct 11, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Man Jumps Into Pool at 9/11 Memorial
33-year-old was arrested Monday afternoon in New York City
- A man was arrested Monday afternoon in New York City after allegedly jumping into one of the reflecting pools at the 9/11 Memorial at the site of the World Trade Center. Police say the man injured his leg and back in the incident and was taken to the hospital for...
30 Years Ago Came
the 'Powder Keg' for 9/11
Feb 26, 2023 9:05 AM CST
30 Years Ago Came the 'Powder Keg' for 9/11
Sunday is the anniversary of the first World Trade Center terrorist attack
- Lolita Jackson was at her 72nd-floor desk in the World Trade Center, feeling like she worked at the top of the world. Then came the boom, and smoke started curling in from an elevator shaft. Unsure what was happening, she joined thousands of other office workers on a harrowing trek...
Trapped in Rubble, Woman
Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Sep 11, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Trapped in Rubble, Woman Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Genelle Guzman McMillan was the last person rescued from the World Trade Center
- Twenty-seven hours after Tower 1 at the World Trade Center collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001, Genelle Guzman McMillan was about to give up. She was in pain, unable to move in the rubble and, with dust in her mouth and nose, unable to call out for help. "I knew...
20 Years After 9/11,
a Still-Unfinished WTC
Sep 10, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
20 Years After 9/11, a Still-Unfinished WTC
Construction continues on 2 skyscrapers, church, performing arts center at World Trade Center site
- Two decades after its destruction in the Sept. 11 attacks, the work to rebuild the World Trade Center complex remains incomplete. Two planned skyscrapers, a performing arts center, and a church are still unfinished at the site, which plays host Saturday to the annual ceremony honoring nearly 3,000 people...
Insurance Broker Is
First 9/11 Victim
IDed in 2 Years
Sep 8, 2021 9:17 AM CDT
Insurance Broker Is First 9/11 Victim IDed in 2 Years
Dorothy Morgan was working on 94th floor of the WTC's north tower; a man has also been IDed
- Two more victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks have been identified ahead of the 20th anniversary as part of "the largest and most complex forensic investigation in the history of the United States." New York City's Chief Medical Examiner's Office announced Tuesday that two victims have...
Are Now in 9th Year
Sep 8, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
9/11 Mastermind's Pre-Trial Hearings Are Now in 9th Year
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was joined by 4 other defendants for first hearing in 18 months
- Pre-trial hearings in the case against alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defendants allegedly involved in the 2001 attacks resumed Tuesday for the first time in a year and a half. They were suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hearings are now in their...
Won't Be Read
Jul 27, 2020 4:03 PM CDT
This Year, 9/11 Names Won't Be Read
A recording will be played instead, to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus
- The pandemic has affected the commemoration of another painful loss of life. The families of 9/11 victims meet each year at the September 11 Memorial & Museum on the anniversary of their deaths. Someone from each family reads the name of their loved one and a tribute, a ceremony that...
Men Share Garage
Sale Find: 'It's Right
Jun 20, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
Men Share Garage Sale Find: 'It's Right for Humanity'
Jason Scott discovered 2.4K unseen photos from Ground Zero in aftermath of 9/11 attacks
- Jason Scott has a new Flickr album , and what's contained therein is a jaw-dropping find he made at a garage sale: 2,400 never-before-seen photos of Ground Zero in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. Based on the various perspectives taken from up high and on ground level, the...
9/11 Victim IDed,
18 Years Later
Jun 11, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
9/11 Victim IDed, 18 Years Later
Man's name being withheld
- A previously unknown victim of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center finally has a name. We just don't know it yet. According to the New York City Medical Examiner, DNA testing of remains recovered in 2013 has confirmed a man as the 1,643rd victim to be...
Trump Pays Tribute
to Victims, Heroes of 9/11
Sep 11, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Trump Pays Tribute to Victims, Heroes of 9/11
Ceremonies in New York City, Washington, Pennsylvania
- President Trump marked the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on Tuesday with a speech at the memorial where one of the planes went down in Shanksville, Pa. "America's future is not written by our enemies," said Trump, per CBS News . "America's future is written...
Under the WTC, a
'Rebirth' From 9/11
Sep 10, 2018 3:33 AM CDT
Under the WTC, a 'Poignantly Defiant' 'Rebirth' From 9/11
Cortlandt Street subway station destroyed on 9/11 finally reopens
- It's been left off the NYC subway map for almost 17 years after it was destroyed and buried under rubble on 9/11—but a "quietly, poignantly defiant" version of the Cortlandt Street subway station under the World Trade Center is now open again for business. Redubbed WTC Cortlandt,...
Could 9/11 'Architect'
Die Before Trial?
Sep 11, 2017 1:30 PM CDT
Could 9/11 'Architect' Die Before Trial?
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is at Gitmo, awaiting his 25th pretrial hearing
- People around the US on Monday paused to remember the victims of 9/11 on the 16th anniversary of the attacks. In Shanksville, Pa., for instance, Vice President Mike Pence gave a particularly personal tribute to those aboard Flight 93. Here's a sampling of some of the related coverage on...
After 16 Years, Another
9/11 Victim Identified
Aug 8, 2017 2:36 AM CDT
After 16 Years, Another 9/11 Victim Identified
New York City says it has identified 1,641st victim
- Almost 16 years after the 9/11 attacks, another family has been given the news that the remains of their loved one have been identified. New York City's medical examiner said Monday that the man has been identified as the 1,641st person killed at the World Trade Center on...
Man Convicted in World Trade
Center Bombing Dies in Prison
Feb 18, 2017 12:47 PM CST
Man Convicted in World Trade Center Bombing Dies in Prison
The 'blind sheikh' Omar Abdel-Rahman was convicted in 1995
- The man known as the "blind sheikh," who was convicted of plotting the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and other terrorist attacks in New York City, died Saturday in a North Carolina jail, CBS News reports. According to the AP , Omar Abdel-Rahman, born in Egypt, had been blind...
Woman Falls to Death at
World Trade Center Oculus
Feb 11, 2017 1:29 PM CST
Woman Falls to Death at World Trade Center Oculus
Jenny Santos was reaching for sister's hat when she fell off escalator
- A 29-year-old women fell from an escalator to her death while reaching for a hat early Saturday morning inside the World Trade Center Oculus, NBC New York reports. According to the
New York Daily News
, Santos and her twin sister were just reaching the upper level of the transit hub...
Giuliani: Sorry About
Oct 13, 2016 12:17 PM CDT
Giuliani: Sorry About False Clinton 9/11 Claim
Clinton never actually claimed to be in New York on 9/11
- While campaigning for Donald Trump on Wednesday, Rudy Giuliani let loose on something he thought he heard Hillary Clinton say during the last presidential debate. "Don't tell me, if you said that, that you remember Sept. 11, 2001," he said. "I remember Sept. 11, 2001. Yes,...
15 Years Later,
Bells Toll at Ground Zero
Sep 11, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
15 Years Later, Bells Toll at Ground Zero
Somber anniversary is being marked in New York, DC, Shanksville
- The commemoration of the 15th anniversary of 9/11 began at ground zero Sunday with a moment of silence and tolling bells at 8:46am, the time when a terrorist-piloted plane slammed into the World Trade Center's north tower, reports the AP . After the silence, victims' relatives began reading the...
Firefighters Salute, Then
Last 9/11 Dog Is Euthanized
Jun 7, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
Firefighters Salute, Then Last 9/11 Dog Is Euthanized
Bretagne searched for survivors at World Trade Center
- A 16-year-old golden retriever believed to have been the last surviving rescue dog from the World Trade Center attacks got a hero's goodbye on Monday in Texas. Firefighters and other rescue officials lined the sidewalk and saluted Bretagne (pronounced "Brittany") as handler Denise Corliss walked her into...
for Sept. 11
Oct 1, 2015 10:15 AM CDT
Health Program for Sept. 11 Responders Expires
72K beneficiaries may stop receiving federal health care by next September
- A law that provides medical monitoring and treatment for Sept. 11 first responders expired at midnight Wednesday due to the failure of Congress to act. For now, first responders who rushed to the World Trade Center after the 2001 terrorist attacks, worked for weeks, and now suffer from illnesses like...
Up for 9/11
Aug 27, 2015 8:40 AM CDT
Time's Almost Up for 9/11 Survivors Fund
WTC Health Program will run out of money next year, leaving 70K without coverage
- Marcy Borders, the 9/11 survivor known as the "Dust Lady" for the iconic photo of her emerging from a devastated World Trade Center, died Tuesday at the age of 42 from stomach cancer, reports CNN . Illnesses like hers, and dozens of other chronic diseases and afflictions suffered by survivors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.