Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hold March as
Sep 3, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
Hate Groups Hold March as Florida Braces for More
Demonstration near Orlando draws small crowd and is denounced by lawmaker
- Hate groups marched outside Orlando on Saturday, shouting, "We are everywhere!" in a video posted by a Florida state representative. Democratic Rep. Anna V. Eskamani denounced the demonstration and called it "another example of the far right extremism growing" in the state. The Anti-Defamation League's Center...
Lawsuit Aims to
'Decimate' Hate Group
Aug 8, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Lawsuit Aims to 'Decimate' Hate Group
Black man says he was attacked by Patriot Front members in Boston last year
- A Black teacher and musician who says members of a white nationalist hate group punched, kicked, and beat him with metal shields during a march through Boston last year sued the organization on Tuesday. Charles Murrell III, of Boston, was in the area of the Boston Public Library to play...
Biden Makes Next Move in
Vow to Heal Nation's 'Soul'
Aug 20, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Biden Makes Next Move in Vow to Heal Nation's 'Soul'
United We Stand Summit, designed to tackle hate-fueled violence, will take place next month
- President Biden will host a White House summit next month aimed at combating a spate of hate-fueled violence in the US, as he works to deliver on his campaign pledge to "heal the soul of the nation." The White House announced Friday that Biden will host the United...
SPLC's Hate Groups
Report Sees a Decrease
Mar 9, 2022 2:41 PM CST
SPLC's Hate Groups Report Sees a Decrease
Center says dropping numbers 'suggest the extremist ideas now operate more openly'
- As far as raw counts go, they're down: In its annual report released Wednesday, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) said it recorded nearly 300 fewer hate groups in 2021 as compared to the year prior, logging 733, and about 80 fewer anti-government groups, logging 488 of those. But...
Trudeau Vows to 'Dismantle'
Hate Groups After Family Killed
Jun 9, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Trudeau Vows to 'Dismantle' Hate Groups After Family Killed
Canadian PM attends vigil for Muslim family
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged Tuesday to take more action "to dismantle far-right hate groups" after three generations of a Muslim family were killed Sunday night in an apparently targeted attack. "This was a terrorist attack, motivated by hatred, in the heart of one of our communities,...
Hundreds Turn Out to Protest
KKK Group's Downtown Rally
May 26, 2019 10:04 AM CDT
Hundreds Turn Out to Protest KKK Group's Downtown Rally
Nine members are outnumbered by counterdemonstrators
- A Klu Klux Klan group drew nine members to its rally in downtown Dayton on Saturday, as well as hundreds of counterprotesters. The rally was planned by the Honorable Sacred Knights of Indiana, which obtained a permit, the
reports. The Southern Poverty Law Center has identified it as a...
Number of Hate Groups
in US Is at Record High
Feb 20, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Number of Hate Groups in US Is at Record High
Southern Poverty Law Center blames Trump, in part
- There were 1,020 hate groups operating in the US last year—a record high, and a 7% increase from 2017, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center's annual report. The last time hate groups surged in the US was in response to the election of Barack Obama as...
With Sheriff's Memo,
a Blow to the Proud Boys
Nov 20, 2018 9:25 AM CST
With Sheriff's Memo, a Blow to the Proud Boys
Document reveals FBI designation of group as 'extremist'
- The FBI considered the far-right "chauvinist" Proud Boys to be an extremist group even before members were accused in an alleged assault in New York City last month. That's according to a document from the Clark County Sheriff's Office in Vancouver, Wash., shared by nonprofit Property of...
These States Have
the Most Hate Groups
Feb 24, 2018 8:30 AM CST
These States Have the Most Hate Groups
Idaho does not fare well
- Some states are worse than others when it comes to hate groups. Using data from the Southern Poverty Law Center, 24/7 Wall St. has compiled a list of the 10 states with the most such groups. Idaho ends up first in the unwanted category, at least on a per-capita basis....
Report: Young Racists Seeking
Out 'Hipper' Groups Than KKK
Feb 21, 2018 7:33 PM CST
Report: Young Racists Seeking Out 'Hipper' Groups Than KKK
KKK membership declining despite surge in 'hate groups'
- An organization that tracks far-right extremists says the number of Ku Klux Klan chapters in the US is plummeting as a new generation of khaki-clad racists rejects hoods and robes for a "hipper" brand of hate, the AP reports. The Southern Poverty Law Center said in a report Wednesday...
After Twitter Yanks Verified
Status, She Cites Holocaust
Nov 16, 2017 9:45 AM CST
After Twitter Yanks Verified Status, She Cites Holocaust
That from Laura Loomer, who along with Richard Spencer and others lost the blue tick
- A few Twitter users lost the coveted blue tick on Wednesday after Twitter released new guidelines regarding verified accounts. The move came after the company was attacked for granting verified status to Jason Kessler, who put together the white nationalist rally that rocked Charlottesville in August (and issued this "...
After Charlottesville, ACLU
Revises a Long-Held Stance
Aug 18, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
After Charlottesville, ACLU Revises a Long-Held Stance
It won't defend groups who come armed to protests
- If you're a hate group, you may be able to acquire a permit to hold a protest, but if you come packing firearms, don't expect the American Civil Liberties Union to come to your defense. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, that's the ACLU's new official position...
Airbnb Makes Big Move Against
Alt-Right Rally Attendees
Aug 8, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
Airbnb Makes Big Move Against Alt-Right Rally Attendees
Service cancels bookings for those coming to Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' event
- An alt-right rally planned in a Charlottesville, Va., park Saturday is a follow-up to protests in May against the removal of a Confederate statue there . But those attending may have to rebook their lodgings: After Airbnb got wind of large groups making reservations through its system to ostensibly attend the...
Sessions Made a Closed-Door
Speech to 'Hate Group'
Jul 13, 2017 7:51 AM CDT
Sessions Made a Closed-Door Speech to 'Hate Group'
Closed-door remarks were made at event for SPLC-designated 'hate group'
- The Alliance Defending Freedom has been designated an anti-LGBT "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center , but the group still attracted a high-profile guest speaker this week: Attorney General Jeff Sessions. CNN and NBC News reports that Sessions spoke at the "Summit on Religious Liberty" Tuesday night...
For 1st Time This Century,
Far-Right Groups Decline
Feb 26, 2014 1:05 AM CST
For 1st Time This Century, Far-Right Groups Decline
But those left are 'leaner and meaner,' watchdog warns
- Tough times for the far right? The number of militias, skinhead gangs, and other extremist groups in the US dropped last year for the first time since 1999, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center . The hate-group watchdog found that the number of extreme-right groups dropped around 14% to 2,...
Dec 27, 2012 7:09 AM CST
White House Petition: Call Westboro a Hate Group
Church hit with 5 petitions, others want to yank tax-exempt status
- Piers Morgan . Death Stars . And now Westboro Baptist Church. The unusual White House petitions keep adding up, and now not one, but
petitions calling for action against everyone's least favorite funeral protesters have passed the 50,000-signature threshold requiring a response. Indeed, one petition calling for Westboro...
Here's a Study
Sure to Hate
Apr 13, 2012 12:48 PM CDT
Here's a Study Walmart Is Sure to Hate
Researchers see correlation between stores, hate groups
- Researchers have spotted a correlation between the number of Walmarts in a county and the number of local hate groups. Indeed, the number of stores appeared more significant than other area characteristics—unemployment, poor education, and high crime—commonly associated with hate groups. The researchers from Penn State, New Mexico...
Fox Affiliate Calls Neo-Nazis
'Civil Rights Group'
Apr 9, 2012 12:01 PM CDT
Fox Affiliate Calls Neo-Nazis 'Civil Rights Group'
National Socialist Movement not described as hate group by Orlando station
- When the National Socialist Movement started patrolling the streets of Sanford, Florida , in response to the uproar over Trayvon Martin's death , many media outlets mentioned the fact that the NSM is made up of neo-Nazis. But not Fox News' Orlando affiliate, which described the organization as a "civil...
No. of Hate Groups in US: 1,018
Mar 8, 2012 7:29 AM CST
No. of Hate Groups in US: 1,018
It's a number that's rapidly growing: report
- The number of hate groups in the US has been on the rise for more than a decade, and last year 1,018 were active, according to a new report by the Southern Poverty Law Center. That's up from 602 in 2000, the
New York Times
notes. The report...
Now Travel Firm Pulls Ads From Muslim Reality Show
Dec 15, 2011 12:30 AM CST
Now Travel Firm Pulls Ads From Muslim Reality Show
Kayak.com joins Lowe's after evangelical campaign
- A second company has yanked its ads from an American Muslim reality show. This time it's the Kayak.com travel web site, following the lead of the Lowe's chain , which caved to pressure from a Florida evangelical organization. TLC's
features five Lebanese American families living...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.