Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In a First, Wind Outdoes
Coal, Nuclear Power
Apr 15, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
In a First, Wind Outdoes Coal, Nuclear Power
A permanent shift doesn't appear imminent after single-day milestone, agency says
- On March 29, wind turbines throughout the continental US produced 19% of the nation's energy, government data show. That was more than coal or nuclear power contributed, the first time that's been the case, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Only natural gas topped wind power that...
Feb 25, 2022 4:40 PM CST
Historic Auction on Offshore Wind Energy Wraps Up
Six companies win right to build offshore of New York and New Jersey
- Six companies bid a combined $4.37 billion for the right to build wind energy projects on the ocean floor off New Jersey and New York in the US government's largest such auction in history, a federal agency said Friday. The auction by the US Bureau of Ocean Energy...
Second Wind Farm
Approved for East Coast
Nov 24, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Second Wind Farm Approved for East Coast
Seven major offshore projects are included in Biden administration plan
: Federal agencies gave the go-ahead Wednesday to plans to build an offshore wind farm near Rhode Island, CNN reports. The South Fork Wind project is the second piece of the Biden administration's proposal, per the AP ; the first commercial-scale offshore wind project broke ground last week off the...
Ikea to Sell
Aug 18, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Ikea to Sell Something New: Electricity
Furniture giant will sell affordable electricity from wind and solar parks to homes in Sweden
- Ikea already sells solar panels in nearly a dozen of its markets. Now, the furniture giant based out of Sweden is taking an even deeper plunge into the renewable-energy market, starting on its home turf. Beginning next month, Ikea will sell electricity from solar and wind parks to domestic households,...
First Major Offshore
Wind Farm Has OK
May 11, 2021 2:08 PM CDT
First Major Offshore Wind Farm Has OK
Administration approves 62 turbines off Martha's Vineyard, with many more likely
- The Biden administration took a significant step toward expanding the use of wind power on Tuesday, approving the nation's first major offshore wind farm. The project will place 62 turbines, which can generate enough electricity to power 400,000 homes, off Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, the
Feds 'Ready to Rock-and-Roll'
in Push to Expand Wind Power
Mar 29, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Feds 'Ready to Rock-and-Roll' in Push to Expand Wind Power
Administration to support huge expansion in East Coast offshore wind projects
- National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy says the Biden administration is "ready to rock-and-roll" with plans to boost offshore wind energy production along the East Coast. McCarthy said Monday that the administration plans to speed up development of clean energy projects and generate 30 million gigawatts of offshore wind power—...
Trump Lashes Out:
'I Know Windmills
Dec 23, 2019 12:09 PM CST
Trump Lashes Out: 'I Know Windmills Very Much'
President goes off on wind turbines once more
- Nancy Pelosi isn't President Trump's only nemesis at the moment . He's also no fan of windmills. His disdain has been known for some time , and he returned to the subject Saturday night. While speaking to the conservative student group Turning Point USA, Trump took a swing at...
Hit a US
Jun 20, 2017 6:47 AM CDT
Wind, Solar Power Just Hit a US Milestone
For first time, nation draws 10% of electricity from wind and solar
- Double digits: A new report from the US Energy Information Administration reveals a milestone for alternative energy sources. For the first time, the nation as a whole drew 10% of its electricity from wind and solar farms in a single month, reports Climate Central . It happened in March, with wind...
Power-Hungry Google Makes
Major Energy Announcement
Dec 7, 2016 3:57 PM CST
Power-Hungry Google Makes Major Energy Announcement
The tech giant says it will get all energy from renewable sources in 2017
- It takes a lot of energy to power Google's empire. In 2015, the company used 5.2 terawatt hours—enough to power half a million homes for the year,
reports. In 2017, 100% of that massive amount of energy will come from renewable sources, Google announced Tuesday....
Taxes the Wind,
Maybe to Death
Aug 15, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Wyoming Taxes the Wind, Maybe to Death
One of the world's largest wind farms could be dead on arrival
- Unlike many states that subsidize alternative energy sources, in 2012 Wyoming became the first state to tax wind power. In the four years since, it hasn't even collected $15 million in revenue—perhaps partly due to the lack of major wind projects constructed since the tax was enacted, reports...
Had to Pay People to
Use Electricity Sunday
May 11, 2016 1:01 PM CDT
Germany Basically Had to Pay People to Use Electricity Sunday
Thanks to a new high-water mark in renewable energy
- Germany hit a new milestone in renewable energy on Sunday, generating so much power at one point that customers were essentially being paid to turn on their lights or charge their phones. Quartz reports that around 1pm Sunday, about 87% of the power being used in Germany was coming from...
Wind Farm Coming
to US 'Dead Zone
for Wind Power'
Jul 13, 2015 3:23 AM CDT
Wind Farm Coming to US 'Dead Zone for Wind Power'
Taller towers unlock new potential in NC
- On a vast tract of old North Carolina farmland, crews are getting ready to build something the South has never seen: a commercial-scale wind energy farm. The $600 million project by Spanish developer Iberdrola Renewables will put 102 turbines on 22,000 acres near the coastal community of Elizabeth City,...
Jul 11, 2015 4:05 PM CDT
One Nation Produces 140% of Electricity With Wind
Windy day helps Denmark amass huge energy supply
- Denmark raised eyebrows on Thursday by producing 140% of its electricity needs with only its wind farms. Granted, it was "an unusually windy day," the
reports, but the Danes had enough left over to share surplus power with Germany, Norway, and Sweden. "It shows that a...
Apr 28, 2014 2:40 PM CDT
Island's Sole Power Sources: Wind, Water
Spain's El Hierro will be completely self-sufficient
- El Hierro, the tiniest and most southerly of Spain's Canary Islands, is surrounded by no small amount of volcanic activity , but it's turning to the power of wind- and water-driven energy for 100% of its 10,000 inhabitants' needs. In a move that would make it the world'...
Weapon: Wind Turbines?
Feb 26, 2014 2:33 PM CST
New Anti-Hurricane Weapon: Wind Turbines?
Giant wind farm could have reduced Katrina's power: study
- A Stanford University professor is proposing what
calls a "groundbreaking" anti-hurricane plan: We could use offshore wind turbines to reduce the storms' power—even a storm like Katrina. For that, we'd need a lot of them, though, according to Mark Jacobson: something along the lines of...
Feds to Let
Wind Farms Kill
Dec 6, 2013 11:26 AM CST
Feds to Let Wind Farms Kill Bald Eagles
Without penalty for 30 years, if they have a permit
- The Obama administration said today it will allow some companies to kill or injure bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty, in an effort to spur development and investment in green energy while balancing its environmental consequences. The change, requested by the wind energy industry, will...
Nov 13, 2012 7:23 AM CST
Lame-Duck Congress Back as Fiscal Cliff Looms
Postal Service, Sandy relief may also be on agenda
- Congress is back in Washington today, bracing for battle over how to avoid the fiscal cliff. Legislators have seven weeks to hit on a deal, with tax cut extensions taking center stage, notes Reuters . But analysts warn that "the longer it takes the president and Congress to negotiate a...
Big Threat: Wind
Feb 15, 2012 1:45 PM CST
Wind Turbines' Big Threat: Wind
Specifically, hurricanes along the coast
- Advocates of green energy will be happy to know that the Energy Department wants the nation to get 20% of electricity from the wind by 2030. A good chunk of that power is slated to come from offshore turbines, notes New Scientist , and therein lies a problem. Researchers at Carnegie...
Oct 12, 2010 6:49 AM CDT
Google Funding Wind Power 'Superhighway'
$5B project will clear the way for future wind farms
- Google is kicking in a major portion of the funding for a massive wind power project off the mid-Atlantic coast. The search king is investing in a 350-mile underwater cable network that will serve as a backbone for future wind farms, the
New York Times
reports. Google and renewable energy...
Jun 4, 2010 2:49 AM CDT
Wind Farms Scaring Off Porpoises
'Bubble curtains' could be the solution
- Renewable energy from wind farms comes at the cost of scaring off porpoises, according to a German study of the country's first offshore wind farm. The marine mammals—who depend on their acute hearing for communication, orientation, and finding food—fled the area 30 miles off the German coast while...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.