Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marine Le Pen
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Defeat, Macron
to Build a Bloc
Jun 20, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
After Defeat, Macron Faces Pressure to Build a Bloc
Parties at the extremes call for prime minister to resign
: France's opposition parties called on President Emmanuel Macron to assemble a coalition to fill the void after parliamentary elections left him without a majority on Sunday. Macron is unlikely to be able to pass his agenda, Reuters reports, unless he finds support elsewhere. The far right and far...
France Reelects Macron
Apr 24, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
France Reelects Macron
Le Pen promises to keep fighting president's policies
- Emmanuel Macron became the first French president to be elected to a second term on Sunday, defeating far-right challenger Marine Le Pen. At closing time for the polls, projections showed the incumbent's winning margin to be about 58% to 42%, Axios reports. Polls during the campaign generally had shown...
World Has Eyes on France
Apr 24, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
World Has Eyes on France
Macron tries to fend off far-right challenge Marine Le Pen in runoff election
- The voting is underway in France , where President Emmanuel Macron hopes to become the first French leader in 20 years to win reelection. The vote, however, is seen as one with potentially huge global implications as well should far-right challenger Marine Le Pen pull off an upset, given her longtime...
Macron Clashes With
Le Pen in Key Debate
Apr 21, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Macron Clashes With Le Pen in Key Debate
Polls show Macron came out on top, though many voters consider him 'arrogant'
- Watching presidential debates and getting rid of incumbents are both popular activities in France, so the stakes were very high for French President Emmanuel Macron in his televised debate against far-right challenger Marine Le Pen on Wednesday night. The second-round face-off is "seen as the time when presidential destinies...
Headscarves Become Sticking
Point in French Election
Apr 15, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Headscarves Become Sticking Point in French Election
Rivals Marine Le Pen, Emmanuel Macron confronted by Muslims ahead of presidential runoff
- Muslim headscarves took center stage in France's presidential campaign Friday amid far-right candidate Marine Le Pen's push to ban them in the country with Western Europe's largest Muslim population. Both she and rival Emmanuel Macron, facing a tightly contested April 24 runoff, were confronted by women in...
France Begins Voting, and
Macron May Be in Trouble
Apr 10, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
France Begins Voting, and Macron May Be in Trouble
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen has been rising in the polls
- French voters headed to polling stations nationwide Sunday for the first round of the country’s presidential election, one that seemed for months like a shoo-in for French President Emmanuel Macron but is now a toss-up amid a strong challenge from the far right's Marine Le Pen, per the...
Challenger's Surge in France
Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Apr 8, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Challenger's Surge in France Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Marine Le Pen has closed in on Emmanuel Macron as she's toned down her rhetoric
- Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared "a huge victory" this week that will keep him in office as Hungary's prime minister. Now White House officials are beginning to worry that another friend of Putin's could take over a US ally. Polls show that French President Emmanuel Macron and...
Le Pen: I'm
Sep 20, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Le Pen: I'm Defying Order for Psych Evaluation
Far-right leader in France says it shows how far her political opponents will go
- A firebrand politician of the far right in France has been ordered by a court to undergo a psychiatric evaluation—and Marine Le Pen is daring the court to force her to do so. The leader of the National Rally broke the news herself in a (French-language) tweet , saying that...
Le Pen's Party:
'Let Them Call
Mar 11, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Bannon Tells Le Pen's Party: 'Let Them Call You Racist'
Former White House strategist advises the French
- Steve Bannon continued his European tour Saturday as a surprise speaker for the struggling National Front party in Paris, NBC News reports. The former White House strategist paced the stage for half an hour, bathing in applause and urging members to embrace some of their critics' worst epithets. "Let...
Macron's Victory Was a
'Political Earthquake' for France
May 8, 2017 6:30 AM CDT
Macron's Victory Was a 'Political Earthquake' for France
Macron has to govern a deeply divided nation
- The pollsters were wrong once again with France's presidential runoff election but there was no surprise result this time: Emmanuel Macron defeated far-right candidate Marine Le Pen 66% to 34%, a much bigger margin than the 20 points that had been predicted, Reuters reports. But 34% was still a...
France Just Elected Its
Youngest President Ever
May 7, 2017 1:18 PM CDT
France Just Elected Its Youngest President Ever
But headwinds face Emmanuel Macron
- Emmanuel Macron will be France's next president, putting a 39-year-old political novice at the helm of one of the world's biggest economies and slowing a global populist wave. Polling agencies projected that Macron defeated far-right leader Marine Le Pen 65% to 35% on Sunday. Macron will be the...
As France Votes,
Louvre Is Evacuated
May 7, 2017 7:39 AM CDT
As France Votes, Louvre Is Evacuated
Suspicious bag left outside courtyard where Macron planned to celebrate
- Emmanuel Macron's campaign press office says a suspicious bag that prompted the evacuation of the courtyard outside the Louvre museum where the centrist French presidential candidate has planned to celebrate election night. Macron's team said a press room had been set up at the downtown Paris location and...
Le Pen-Macron Isn't Another
May 6, 2017 11:04 AM CDT
Le Pen-Macron Isn't Another Trump-Clinton: Pollsters
Macron has a polling lead Clinton never even came close to
- The final polls before Sunday's French presidential election show Emmanuel Macron with a massive 22- or 24-point lead over Marine Le Pen. And FiveThirtyEight , for its part, claims this isn't another Clinton-Trump situation: President Trump was a "normal polling error" behind Hillary Clinton the day before the...
11th-Hour Twist in
May 5, 2017 1:05 AM CDT
11th-Hour Twist in French Election: Faked Documents
Forgeries purportedly show Macron was involved with Caribbean bank
- Allegations of fake news and hacking attempts dominated France's tense presidential campaign Thursday, with just two days left for independent Emmanuel Macron and his far-right rival Marine Le Pen to win over voters before Sunday's high-stakes runoff. Macron's campaign filed suit against unknown source "X''...
Le Pen, Macron Clash
in Ill-Tempered Debate
May 4, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
Le Pen, Macron Clash in Ill-Tempered Debate
He called her the 'high priestess of fear'
- The only face-to-face televised debate between France's presidential candidates turned into an uncivil, no-holds-barred head-on clash of styles, politics, and personalities Wednesday. Emmanuel Macron called his far-right opponent Marine Le Pen a "parasite" who would lead the country into civil war. She painted the former banker as a...
France's National Front Just
Lost Its 2nd Leader This Week
Apr 29, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
France's National Front Just Lost Its 2nd Leader This Week
Jean-Francois Jalkh steps down over comments on Holocaust
- Marine Le Pen stepped down as leader of the National Front this week to focus on her campaign for French president. On Friday, the man tapped to replace her also stepped down—after he was accused of agreeing, or at least sympathizing, with Holocaust deniers, Reuters reports. According to the...
Sunday's Vote 'Humiliated'
French Party Politics
Apr 24, 2017 6:34 AM CDT
Sunday's Vote 'Humiliated' French Party Politics
2 outsiders will compete in runoff vote
- The election results in France are now final, confirming the political earthquake that has just taken place: Centrist Emmanuel Macron took 23.8% of votes in the first round, with 21.5% for far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, the BBC reports. The two candidates will compete for the presidency in...
Results of Election Are a First
in Modern French History
Apr 23, 2017 2:05 PM CDT
Results of Election Are a First in Modern French History
Emmanuel Macron, Marine Le Pen will battle it out on May 7
- The polls closed at 7pm local time, meaning the first round of the French presidential election is officially in the books. While the official percentages are not yet known, the AP reports centrist Emmanuel Macron and far-right leader Marine Le Pen will advance to the runoff after major opponent Francois...
France Votes: 11 Candidates,
Evacuation, Topless Protesters
Apr 23, 2017 5:57 AM CDT
France Votes: 11 Candidates, Evacuation, Topless Protesters
It could be a wild day in Round 1 of election
- A voting station in eastern France has reopened after being evacuated because of a suspicious vehicle parked nearby. Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told the AP that the voting station in Besancon was evacuated while explosives experts examined the car, but they deemed there to be no risk. He said...
Only One Way to 'Stave Off
Disaster' in French Election
Apr 21, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
Only One Way to 'Stave Off Disaster' in French Election
Country votes on Sunday
- France votes Sunday in a presidential election further roiled by the fatal shooting of a police officer in an attack claimed by ISIS. On Friday, President Trump tweeted that the shooting would "have a big effect" on the vote, without offering specifics. But the
points out that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.