Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for the Ages
for Rule Change
Jan 24, 2022 6:35 AM CST
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Chiefs beat the Bills in OT, and Buffalo didn't get a chance to touch the ball
- All four NFL playoff games over the weekend were decided on the final play, but it's how the last game finished that has a lot of sportswriters agitated. The Kansas City Chiefs beat the Buffalo Bills 42-36 in overtime, and critics say the league's OT rules badly need...
Jan 17, 2022 2:03 PM CST
Cowboys QB Under Fire for Post-Game Ref Comments
Dak Prescott gave fans 'credit' for tossing trash at referees
- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott might be taking more criticism for his comments following a loss on Sunday than for the game itself. Short version: Dallas fans thought the refs blew a call on the final play that cost them a chance to win. When informed that some people tossed...
'That's a Good Question,
Jan 17, 2022 9:07 AM CST
'That's a Good Question, Though, Mom'
Donna Kelce watched sons in 2 different NFL games, then asked question at press conference
- NFL fans had a full Sunday as the playoffs began, but one fan in particular gets bragging rights. Donna Kelce actually attended two separate games—to watch her sons play. As CNN reports, Kelce first traveled to Florida to watch son Jason of the Philadelphia Eagles play the Tampa Bay...
Things Got Ugly After
Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Jan 17, 2022 6:45 AM CST
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Fans throw trash at referees, and QB Dak Prescott praises them for it
- One of the NFL wild-card games over the weekend ended in particularly ugly fashion: Dallas fans peppered the referees with trash as they left the field, and Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott praised the move: "A credit to them," he said, reports the
Dallas Morning News
. The comment came...
Coach Accused of 'Dumbest
Timeout Ever' in NFL Finale
Jan 10, 2022 6:36 AM CST
Coach Accused of 'Dumbest Timeout Ever' in NFL Finale
Raiders beat the Chargers in OT, sealing the playoff picture
- Sunday night's crazy finale to the NFL regular season nearly cost bookmakers millions of dollars, reports ESPN . And it surely had certain bettors devastated that a big payday barely slipped through their fingers. All of this revolved around the late game between the Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles...
The Patriots' Fall Is Complete
Jan 5, 2020 12:03 AM CST
The Patriots' Fall Is Complete
And Brady's career is up in the air, though he says he'll be back next season
- When the eerie Foxborough fog lifted, it became clear that New England's reign atop the NFL was ending. Derrick Henry ensured that with the kind of dominating playoff performance usually reserved for Tom Brady and the Patriots. Henry rushed for 182 yards and a touchdown while Tennessee's defense...
Before Patriots Game,
Chargers Make Unusual Move
Jan 10, 2019 1:30 PM CST
Before Patriots Game, Chargers Make Unusual Move
Los Angeles signs a kicker, just for kickoffs
- The Chargers are underdogs in this Sunday's playoff game against the Patriots, and they just made an unusual move to gain an edge—they signed a second kicker. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Los Angeles signed Nick Rose for the express purpose of handling kickoffs. The reason? The...
Bears Kicker May Not Be
Fully to Blame for Epic Miss
Jan 7, 2019 7:36 AM CST
Bears Kicker May Not Be Fully to Blame for Epic Miss
Failed field goal by Bears' Cody Parkey appears to have been tipped
- Doink-doink. Bears kicker Cody Parkey missed a 43-yard field goal in the final seconds Sunday night when the ball hit the goalpost, then the crossbar, and bounced out. That allowed the Eagles to win the playoff game, 16-15, and earned Parkey goat status—especially since he had hit the goalpost...
The Longest Current Playoff
Drought in Major Sports Is Over
Jan 1, 2018 12:00 PM CST
The Longest Current Playoff Drought in Major Sports Is Over
What's eluded Buffalo Bills for 17 years is now theirs: wild-card spot after 22-16 win against Miami
- The Buffalo Bills already had the record for the most consecutive Super Bowl appearances , with nary a win. On Sunday, what SBNation calls "one of the NFL's longest-suffering franchises" broke its most recent record: the longest current playoff drought, not only in the NFL, but in any of...
Jan 24, 2016 9:06 PM CST
One Rout, One Nail-Biter: Super Bowl Is Set
It's Carolina vs. Denver
- It will be Carolina vs. Denver in Super Bowl 50 two weeks from now, and the teams got there in very different ways. In the night game, Cam Newton and the Panthers routed the Arizona Cardinals, 49-15, to take the NFC championship. Carolina got out to a 17-0 lead early,...
Patriots Edge Out
Ravens, Go to
Jan 22, 2012 5:29 PM CST
Patriots Edge Out Ravens, Go to Super Bowl
Ravens miss last-minute, 32-yard field goal
- Tom Brady has the New England Patriots back in the Super Bowl. The Patriots beat the stunned Ravens 23-20 in the AFC championship game today after Baltimore's Billy Cundiff missed a 32-yard field goal attempt with 11 seconds remaining that would have tied the score. Brady scored the winning...
Giants, 49ers, Ravens Head
to Championship Games
Jan 15, 2012 8:49 PM CST
Giants, 49ers, Ravens Head to Championship Games
Next Sunday's games will determine who advances to Super Bowl
- For Eli Manning and the New York Giants, Lambeau Field has become a familiar launching pad. After beating the Green Bay Packers at home for the second time in four years, they only hope this trip ends the same way—at the Super Bowl. Manning threw three touchdown passes and...
Jan 15, 2012 12:03 AM CST
Patriots Level Tebowmania, 45-10
No miracles, as New England crushes Denver 45-10
- This time, there were no miracles, no 3:16s, and no Hail Marys—Tim Tebow was dispatched from the NFL playoffs as suddenly as he entered, as the New England Patriots routed the Denver Broncos 45-10, reports the AP . Instead of passing for 316 yards , as in Denver's victory...
Jan 8, 2012 7:31 PM CST
Tebow Bomb Stuns Steelers
Broncos advance, will meet New England on Saturday
- They'll be Tebowing in Denver tonight: Tim Tebow connected with Demaryius Thomas on an electrifying 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime and the Broncos defeated the stunned Pittsburgh Steelers 29-23 in the AFC wild-card game. Thomas hauled in a high play-action pass at the Denver 38,...
Giants Rout Falcons, 24-2
Jan 8, 2012 3:38 PM CST
Giants Rout Falcons, 24-2
New York's defense stifles hapless Atlanta in wild-card game
- Even Eli Manning's feet are dangerous. Manning punctuated his best pro season today by throwing for three touchdowns and scrambling for a 14-yard gain that woke up New York's offense. He sparked the Giants to a 24-2 rout of the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC wild-card game, his...
Steelers Hang On,
Beat Jets in a Nail-Biter
Jan 23, 2011 8:55 PM CST
Steelers Hang On, Beat Jets in a Nail-Biter
Pittsburgh dominated, then held on
- The Pittsburgh Steelers advanced to their third Super Bowl in six years thanks to a big-play defense that returned a fumble for a touchdown and staged a late goal-line stand in a 24-19 victory over the New York Jets. Pittsburgh, which led 24-0 in the first half and held on,...
Packers Beat Bears,
Head to Super Bowl
Jan 23, 2011 5:34 PM CST
Packers Beat Bears, Head to Super Bowl
The 21-14 win means Green Bay will face New York or Pittsburgh
- Aaron Rodgers ran for a touchdown and made a saving tackle, BJ Raji returned an interception for a score and Sam Shields had two interceptions to lead the Green Bay Packers to a 21-14 win over the Chicago Bears in today's NFC championship game. The victory sends the Packers to...
Jets Stun Patriots,
Bears Beat Seahawks
Jan 16, 2011 7:06 PM CST
Jets Stun Patriots, Bears Beat Seahawks
Jets to face Steelers, Bears go up against Packers
- The Chicago Bears and the New York Jets won their respective games today, and will move on in the NFL playoffs:
Jay Cutler ran for two touchdowns, threw for two more, and the Chicago defense manhandled Seattle early for a 35-24 victory today, lifting the Bears into the NFC championship
Green Bay Routs Atlanta;
Steelers Beat Ravens
Jan 15, 2011 10:19 PM CST
Green Bay Routs Atlanta; Steelers Beat Ravens
Both move on to their conference championship games
- The Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers are moving on in the NFL playoffs:
The Steelers beat the Baltimore Ravens 31-24 despite trailing 21-7 at halftime. As bad as Pittsburgh was in the first half, the Ravens were worse in the second. Pittsburgh scored three times on three Baltimore turnovers,
Colts Down Jets,
Head to Super Bowl
Jan 24, 2010 5:20 PM CST
Colts Down Jets, Head to Super Bowl
- Peyton Manning threw two second-half touchdown passes and rallied the Colts from an 11-point first-half deficit for a 30-17 victory over the New York Jets in the AFC championship game today in Indianapolis. The Colts (15-2) are now headed to the Super Bowl for the second time in 4 years...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.