Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Washington Football Team's
Name Is What You Expected
Feb 2, 2022 7:27 AM CST
Washington Football Team's Name Is What You Expected
Meet the Washington Commanders
- A domain name transfer was a clue that turned out to be correct. The Washington Football Team will henceforth be known as the Commanders. The team made the announcement Wednesday on the
some 18 month after ditching the use of Redskins, which had been the team's moniker...
Domain Name Shift
May Have Leaked
Team's New Name
Jan 28, 2022 11:18 AM CST
Domain Name Shift May Have Leaked Team's New Name
Washington Football Team might soon be known as the Washington Commanders
- The Washington Football Team plans to reveal its new name on Feb. 2—but a leak may have overshadowed the Groundhog Day announcement. Sporting News reports that a domain name transfer suggests the team formerly known as the Washington Redskins might be soon be called the Washington Commanders. A Twitter...
Team Mired in Controversy
Has an NFL First
Aug 17, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Team Mired in Controversy Has an NFL First
Washington Football Team makes Jason Wright the league's first Black team president
- It's another notable move on race from the team now known , at least temporarily, as the Washington Football Team. Owner Dan Snyder has made former player Jason Wright the league's first Black team president, reports ABC News . "I think first and foremost it's obviously very personal...
Washington's NFL Team
Settles on Temporary Name
Jul 23, 2020 1:18 PM CDT
Washington's NFL Team Settles on Temporary Name
It will be the 'Washington Football Team' for this season
- Washington's NFL franchise still hasn't settled on a new name , and training camp opens in a matter of days. What to do? The team announced Thursday that it will go by the functional if uninspiring "Washington Football Team" for the 2020 season, reports ESPN . That will give...
Drops a New
Bombshell on Redskins
Jul 17, 2020 1:14 AM CDT
Drops a New Bombshell on Redskins
17 women come forward to detail sexual harassment by team executives
- Fifteen women who used to work for the Washington Redskins are coming forward to reveal sexual harassment they suffered while working for the NFL team. The allegations span from 2006 to 2019, and they include unwanted sexual comments or sexual overtures, unwanted touching, and directives to dress revealingly or flirt...
Odds Are Out on
New Redskins Names
Jul 14, 2020 4:55 AM CDT
Odds Are Out on New Redskins Names
Redtails is a leading contender
- As fans wait to hear what Washington will call its NFL team, people who don't own the franchise have placed their bets on possible names. The current favorite of online oddsmakers is a tweak: "Redtails." At 3/1, that name has a 25% chance of being the winner,...
Redskins: Yes, We're
Changing Our Name
Jul 13, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Redskins: Yes, We're Changing Our Name
But new one has not been revealed
- The Washington Redskins will indeed drop the team name, but no word yet on the replacement. The team on Monday confirmed reports in multiple outlets—including ESPN ,
, and Sports Business Daily —that the name was going away. It's not clear when the new one will be...
Amazon Is Pulling All
Washington Redskins Merch
Jul 9, 2020 12:31 AM CDT
Amazon Is Pulling All Washington Redskins Merch
NFL team is reviewing its racist name
- Amazon will stop selling Washington Redskins merchandise after the football team said it would undergo a review of its name , which is considered a racial slur, the AP reports. The Seattle-based online shopping giant informed sellers Wednesday morning that it would be pulling Redskins merchandise from its online marketplace. Other...
Jul 3, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
NFL Team Takes Step Toward New Name
Owner has said it would never happen, but brands have told Washington to make a change
- After decades of saying they'll never change a team name considered by many to be a slur against Native Americans, the Washington Redskins announced Friday they'll reconsider. People familiar with the team's talks with NFL officials, including Commissioner Roger Goodell, said a process is being set up...
Team for Name Change
Jul 2, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Investors Pressure Team for Name Change
FedEx asks Washington owner, who has refused before, to agree
- Dan Snyder said in 2013 that he would never change the name of his Washington Redskins. But the NFL team owner is facing a new level of pressure, administered by 87 investment firms and shareholders worth a total of $620 billion. They've asked Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to end...
to Redskins Owner:
'Change the Name. NOW'
Jun 20, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
to Redskins Owner: 'Change the Name. NOW'
Editorial board says if Dan Snyder won't do it, the NFL should
editorial board is calling on Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change his football club's name. Under the headline "Change the Name of the Washington NFL Team. Now," the newspaper says in an editorial posted online Friday that if Snyder won’t switch the...
Please, Daniel Snyder,
It's Time to Budge
Jun 16, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Please, Daniel Snyder, It's Time to Budge
Ditch the 'Redskins' name, writes columnist Barry Svrluga
sportswriter Barry Svrluga has long disliked the name "Redskins," which is a problem when you have to write about the team for a living. As a result, he came up with a solution of sorts: Refer to the full team name on first reference, then call...
911 Call Leads to
NFL Player's Arrest
May 16, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
911 Call Leads to NFL Player's Arrest
Cody Latimer is already out on a $25K bond
- A Washington Redskins player is facing five charges, including felony illegal discharge of a firearm, following his arrest in a Denver suburb Saturday morning, the AP reports. The Douglas County sheriff's office says deputies arrested 27-year-old Cody Latimer after responding to a report just after midnight of shots fired...
10 Ex-NFL Players Charged
With Health Care Fraud
Dec 12, 2019 11:00 AM CST
10 Ex-NFL Players Charged With Health Care Fraud
Justice Department says they submitted false claims to reimbursement plan
- Ten former NFL players have been charged with defrauding the league's health care benefit program, the Justice Department said Thursday. They include five former players on the Washington Redskins, including Clinton Portis and Carlos Rogers, the AP reports. Prosecutors allege the players targeted the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health...
NFL Quarterback Misses
Final Play to Take Selfie
Nov 25, 2019 4:08 AM CST
NFL Quarterback Misses Final Play to Take Selfie
Dwayne Haskins was AWOL during last snap
- Washington Redskins quarterback Dwayne Haskins celebrated his first victory as a starter Sunday by taking a selfie with a fan. One problem: The game wasn't over yet. With two seconds left in the fourth quarter, the Redskins had to bring backup quarterback Case Keenum onto the field to take...
Protest Greets Redskins
Oct 24, 2019 7:20 PM CDT
Protest Greets Redskins
Demonstrators call name more hurtful than 'Braves' or 'Indians'
- Several hundred people marched Thursday to the Minneapolis stadium where the Vikings and Redskins were to play hours later in protest of Washington's team name. "We are not your mascot!" the crowd chanted as passing drivers honked their support and a drummers’ circle in the back of...
Super Bowl MVP Charged
With Domestic Violence
Jul 1, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Super Bowl MVP Charged With Domestic Violence
Former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien is accused
- Former Super Bowl hero Mark Rypien has been arrested in Washington state on suspicion of domestic violence, per the AP . Police say Rypien faces a charge of fourth-degree assault. The 56-year-old was processed at the Spokane County Jail around 6:30pm Sunday and was awaiting a court appearance Monday. Rypien...
Firm in America
Has 'String of
Jan 11, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Most-Hated Firm in America Has 'String of PR Disasters'
Facebook really gets our goat, per 24/7 Wall St.
- The opposite of love may be indifference, but hate is what Americans harbor for the companies that annoy, enrage, and frustrate them. And those firms fall in a variety of sectors, per 24/7 Wall St ., which ranked the most loathed companies in the country based on consumer surveys, data from...
QB's Gruesome Injury
Came Exactly 33 Years
After a Famous One
Nov 19, 2018 4:06 AM CST
QB's Gruesome Injury Came Exactly 33 Years After a Famous One
Joe Theismann saw Alex Smith's leg snap
- Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann was horrified when current Redskins quarterback Alex Smith broke his leg in Sunday's 23-21 loss against the Houston Texans—especially when he realized it was 33 years to the day since he suffered the same gruesome injury . Theismann was watching from a suite at...
Describe Uneasy Photo Shoot
May 3, 2018 2:00 AM CDT
Redskins Cheerleaders Describe Uneasy Photo Shoot
Tell 'NYT' that obligations with sponsors, suite holders left them uncomfortable on 2013 trip
- There's some disagreement about what went down when the Washington Redskins cheerleading squad traveled to Costa Rica in 2013. According to the five unnamed women Juliet Macur spoke to for the
New York Times
, the trip ended up feeling exploitative. They were at the Occidental Grand Papagayo resort for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.