Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 8, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Researchers Find Less Dementia Among Regular Internet Users
More study is needed, experts say
- A new study suggests a mental health benefit of internet use for older people. The research, published in the
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
, which followed 18,154 adults ages 50 to 65 over eight years, found that those who regularly spent time online were less likely to develop...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
India Cuts Internet
to Entire State
Mar 21, 2023 5:28 PM CDT
India Cuts Internet to Entire State
Punjab loses service amid manhunt for Sikh preacher
- India has cut off internet and SMS service to the entire state of Punjab, affecting almot 30 million people, as authorities search for a radical Sikh preacher. The shutdown imposed Saturday was supposed to expire Monday but it was extended for at least 24 hours, paralyzing businesses, colleges, and digital...
Kagan: 'These Are Not
the 9 Greatest Experts
on the Internet'
Feb 21, 2023 4:39 PM CST
Kagan: 'These Are Not the 9 Greatest Experts on the Internet'
Court hears arguments in Section 230 case
- The Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday in a case that could upend the internet as we know it—and some of the justices acknowledged that they may not be the right people to find the ideal middle ground in arguments over algorithms. "We really don’t know about these...
SCOTUS Case Could Have
Huge Implications for Internet
Feb 20, 2023 3:55 PM CST
SCOTUS Case Could Have Huge Implications for Internet
Court could strike down 'legal foundation' of the modern internet
- "The free and open internet as we know it couldn’t exist without Section 230," the Electronic Frontier Foundation says—and a case the Supreme Court will hear Tuesday could have huge implications for the internet's future. In Gonzalez v. Google, the court will determine whether the...
Google Doesn't Have All
the Answers, Pope Says
Nov 5, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Google Doesn't Have All the Answers, Pope Says
Francis counsels young people after Mass for 30K in Bahrain
- Pope Francis shifted gears Saturday in his visit to Bahrain to minister to the Gulf's Catholic community, presiding over a huge open-air Mass and then meeting with young people to give them a bit of fatherly advice: Don't just Google your questions about life decisions, he told them....
Cops: Man Said
Cut Their Line
Oct 22, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cops: Man Said Neighbors Didn't 'Deserve Cable,' Cut Their Line
Shannon Pearson charged with hate crime after accusing pair of being undocumented immigrants
- A Wisconsin man has been arrested for a hate crime after police say he snipped his neighbors' internet cable because he erroneously thought they were undocumented immigrants and didn't "deserve cable." According to a criminal complaint cited by NBC News and WQOW , 48-year-old Shannon Pearson called the...
May Get Free Broadband
May 9, 2022 7:13 AM CDT
Low-Income Households May Get Free Broadband
White House rolling out a deal with providers
- The Biden administration said Monday that 20 internet companies—including Verizon, Comcast, and AT&T—have agreed to provide discounted service to low-income Americans. The program could effectively make tens of millions of households eligible for free service through an already existing federal subsidy, per the AP . The $1 trillion...
Amazon Outage Causes
Big Issues Across the Internet
Dec 7, 2021 5:09 PM CST
Amazon Outage Causes Big Issues Across the Internet
Amazon Web Services started having problems around 11am
- A major Amazon Web Services outage caused issues far beyond Amazon Tuesday. Problems with the cloud computing service's servers caused failures or slowdowns for large parts of the Internet, reports the Verge . Services that reported issues after the outage began around 11am Eastern included Netflix, Disney Plus, Slack, Venmo,...
Gabby Petito Media 'Frenzy'
Highlights a Disparity
Sep 21, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Gabby Petito Media 'Frenzy' Highlights a Disparity
Some see 'missing white woman syndrome' at play
- The popular true-crime podcast Crime Junkie did something it has never done before over the weekend—it rushed out a special episode on a breaking-news story. Host Ashley Flowers explained a big part of the reason why to listeners: “In almost four years of doing this show I have...
Several Major Websites
Go Down, Briefly
Jul 22, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Several Major Websites Go Down, Briefly
AT&T and Costco were among those affected by the blip
- If you experienced trouble getting onto any one of several major websites Thursday afternoon, you weren't alone. Major sites went down in what appeared to be a brief but widespread outage, per the AP . The websites of Airbnb, AT&T, Costco, Delta, DraftKings, and more showed error messages around...
Feds Are Giving Millions
$50 Off Their Internet Bills
May 12, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Feds Are Giving Millions $50 Off Their Internet Bills
Emergency Broadband Benefit program was launched Wednesday
- Americans can begin applying for $50 off their monthly Internet bill on Wednesday as part of an emergency government program to keep people connected during the pandemic. The $3.2 billion Emergency Broadband Benefit program is part of the $900 billion December pandemic-relief package. The government is increasing spending on...
Pentagon Partly Explains Plan
to Manage Big Piece of Internet
Apr 27, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Pentagon Partly Explains Plan to Manage Big Piece of Internet
Global Resource Systems now runs 125M addresses
- A strange thing happened on the Internet the day President Biden was sworn in. A shadowy company residing at a shared workspace above a Florida bank announced to the world’s computer networks that it was now managing a colossal, previously idle, chunk of the Internet owned by the US...
FBI Says Suspect 'Wanted to
Kill Off 70% of the Internet'
Apr 12, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
FBI Says Suspect 'Wanted to Kill Off 70% of the Internet'
Man arrested in plot to bomb Amazon data centers
- The FBI says a man arrested in Texas believed blowing up Amazon data centers would "kill off about 70% of the Internet"—and he planned to start with one in Virginia. The agency says the suspect, 28-year-old Seth Aaron Pendley was arrested after he bought what he believed...
Low-Income Families May Get
$50 a Month for Internet
Feb 26, 2021 11:51 AM CST
Low-Income Families May Get $50 a Month for Internet
FCC approves subsidy to help close the digital divide
- With so many people working and attending school from home during the pandemic, it's become crucial that as many Americans as possible have access to high-speed internet. That's why the FCC on Thursday gave the green light to a $3.2 billion initiative that will offer eligible families...
East Coast Hit
With Internet Trouble
Jan 26, 2021 1:41 PM CST
East Coast Hit With Internet Trouble
Slowdown affects broad swath of users from DC to Boston
- Balky internet service prevented users on the East Coast from loading the software they use to learn and work on Tuesday morning. Google, Zoom, YouTube, and Slack were among the services affected, the
reports. The source of the problem was unclear, but clues pointed to Verizon, which said...
Trump: Terminate Social Media
Shield or I'll Veto Defense Bill
Dec 2, 2020 8:59 AM CST
Trump: Terminate Social Media Shield or I'll Veto Defense Bill
President goes after Section 230 again
- President Trump returned to his beef with social media companies and what he perceives as their bias against conservatives on Tuesday night. The president took to Twitter to rail against a legal protection that Twitter and other social media companies currently enjoy. He wants to see it gone—and indicated...
Brief Google Service
Outage Rattles Users
Sep 25, 2020 12:30 AM CDT
Brief Google Service Outage Rattles Users
Gmail, Classroom were down for over an hour
- Millions of people are now more reliant on Google services than ever before—and even a brief outage can cause alarm. Services including Gmail, Google Docs, and YouTube went down for around an hour for users on the East and West coasts Thursday night, Engadget reports. According to Downdetector and...
Hit-Man Site Defends
Itself: We Use Ricin
Mar 8, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Hit-Man Site Defends Itself: We Use Ricin
But a new paper says these websites are actually scams
- Want a hired killer? The site Azerbaijani Eagles will charge $5,000. Slayers Hitmen, $50,000—if you also want torture. But buyer beware: There's almost no known case of a site following through and committing the actual assassination, according to the
New York Times
. "It's a...
Corona Trusts Customers
to Know It's Not a Deadly Virus
Jan 30, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Corona Trusts Customers to Know It's Not a Deadly Virus
Google reports big increase for 'corona beer virus'
- The producer of Corona has expressed faith that its customers know the beer has nothing to do with the virus. Internet search data hints at confusion: Google Trends reports a 2,300% increase in searches for "corona beer virus" from Jan. 18 to Jan. 26, Business Insider reports. Those...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.