Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CDC: Don't Take
a Cruise Right Now
Jan 8, 2022 6:30 AM CST
CDC: Don't Take a Cruise Right Now
Royal Caribbean, Norwegian cancel sailings among new COVID surge
- If you've got tickets for an upcoming cruise, better check with your cruise line. This week, two major operators canceled near-future sailings amid the latest COVID surge, starting with Norwegian on Wednesday, reports
. "Our first priority is the health and safety of our guests, crew, and...
Just Don't Take
a Cruise, CDC Advises
Dec 30, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Just Don't Take a Cruise, CDC Advises
Warning applies regardless of the traveler's vaccination status
- In response to a series of onboard outbreaks , the CDC on Thursday advised all Americans—vaccinated or not—to stay off cruise ships. The agency cited a rise in coronavirus infections and the quick-spreading omicron variant, per NBC News . COVID-19 "spreads easily between people in close quarters on board...
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship:
'They Were So Overwhelmed'
Dec 20, 2021 11:35 AM CST
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship: 'They Were So Overwhelmed'
4 dozen passengers, crew on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive
- About four dozen passengers and crew on a Dec. 11 sailing on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive for COVID before the ship made it back to Miami on Saturday, the cruise line announced.
reports the number as 44 infected, while NBC Miami puts it...
Cruise Ship With Infected
in New Orleans
Dec 6, 2021 12:33 AM CST
Cruise Ship With Infected Passengers Docks in New Orleans
At least 17 people on board tested positive for COVID
- A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans, where health officials said they were trying to disembark people without worsening the spread of the coronavirus illness, the AP reports. Local news outlets in New Orleans confirmed the...
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to
Travel in Canada You'll Need
Aug 14, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to Travel in Canada You'll Need
Nation announces air travelers, cruise ship passengers will soon need the jab
- Canada opened its doors to fully vaccinated Americans on Monday, causing cars to back up at the border for hours. On Friday, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra made a new travel-related announcement: By sometime this autumn, air travelers, cruise ship passengers, and those taking the train from province to province in...
Norwegian Cruises: 1,
State of Florida: 0.
Aug 9, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Norwegian Cruises: 1, State of Florida: 0.
Company wins temporary stay against Florida's ban on businesses asking for vaccine passports
- On Sunday, the Norwegian Gem will set sail to the Caribbean out of Miami, the cruise line's first sailing from Florida since the pandemic shuttered the cruise industry last year. Now, a judge has just given the parent company a win on its quest to make sure all passengers...
Vax Fight Between Cruise
Line, Florida Heats Up
Jul 14, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Vax Fight Between Cruise Line, Florida Heats Up
Norwegian wants 100% of crew, passengers vaxxed, sues Fla., which says that's discrimination
- The cruise industry is taking shaky steps back into the water, and Norwegian Cruise Line just made a move it hopes will help keep its business safe and afloat. On Tuesday, the company sued Scott Rivkees, the surgeon general of Florida, over the state's ban against businesses asking for...
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps
Forward and One Step Back'
Jun 16, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps Forward and One Step Back'
Line postpones sailings of new Odyssey of the Seas after 8 vaxxed crew members test positive
- Royal Caribbean has been giving a hard push to promotions for its new Odyssey of the Seas ship , which the company vows will "turn wanderlust into reality." That reality will have to wait, however, as now it's "two steps forward and one step back," per...
Apr 29, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
CDC Clears Cruise Ships
US industry could restart by mid-July, agency says
- Cruise lines that have been docked for more than a year because of the pandemic have been given a route to returning to sea. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notified them Wednesday in a letter that they should be able to resume passenger sailings from the US by...
Cruise Line Asks
CDC to Allow
Its Ships to Sail
Apr 5, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Cruise Line Asks CDC to Allow Its Ships to Sail
The agency's latest guidance only added to the industry's frustration
- The Norwegian Cruise Line is seeking permission to resume trips from US ports on July 4, requiring passengers and crew members to be vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks before the trip. The Miami company said its precautions go well beyond those of other segments in the travel and...
Royal Caribbean Moves to
Block Volcano Eruption Suits
Dec 30, 2020 10:04 AM CST
Royal Caribbean Moves to Block Volcano Eruption Suits
On NZ disaster, cruise line says it can only be sued in Australia, not US where it's headquartered
- One of the world's largest cruise companies is taking legal action halfway around the world to prevent it from being sued in the US over the deadly volcanic eruption on New Zealand's White Island. Most of the 47 people on the island when it erupted on Dec. 9,...
First Caribbean Cruise Since
March Does Not Go Well
Nov 13, 2020 9:43 AM CST
First Caribbean Cruise Since March Does Not Go Well
10% of passengers have tested positive, according to a reporter on the ship
- Precautions were taken. And still some 10% of guests aboard the first cruise to the Caribbean since March have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a reporter on the ship. SeaDream Yacht Club's
set out for a seven-night cruise to St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada...
For One Cruise Line,
Things Are Looking
Aug 11, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
For One Cruise Line, Things Are Looking ...Good?
Or better, at least, for Royal Caribbean
- Eager to hop aboard a cruise ship amid the coronavirus pandemic? You may not be, but apparently quite a few people are. Royal Caribbean reported Monday that there have been a "remarkable" number of bookings for its cruises sailing next year, citing "pent-up demand" from people stuck at...
After Avoiding US Taxes, No
Taxpayer Help for Cruise Lines
Mar 27, 2020 4:20 AM CDT
After Avoiding US Taxes, No Taxpayer Help for Cruise Lines
Major operators kept headquarters overseas
- Cruise lines that kept their headquarters overseas to avoid paying American taxes won't be getting a bailout from American taxpayers. The Cruise Lines International Association industry group says that while the cruise industry has been hit extremely hard by the coronavirus pandemic, major operators will not qualify for any...
CDC Finds Clue
to Rapid Spread
of Virus on Ships
Mar 24, 2020 6:17 AM CDT
CDC Finds Clue to Rapid Spread of Virus on Ships
Nearly half of COVID-19 patients on Diamond Princess were asymptomatic
- If you've been wondering how long the coronavirus can live on surfaces after it's been left behind, new data from the Centers for Disease Control reveals that information—and it's a concerning development. In the CDC's weekly "Morbidity and Mortality" report released Monday and cited...
Major Cruise Lines Take 'Bold
Action' Amid Virus Outbreak
Mar 12, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Major Cruise Lines Take 'Bold Action' Amid Virus Outbreak
Viking, Princess Cruises suspend global operations following travel advisory
- With the State Department warning Americans not to travel by cruise ship , two cruise lines are temporarily shutting down. Viking Cruises announced Thursday that it would suspend all operations in response to the coronavirus outbreak. It's "what is best for our guests and our employees," Chairman Torstein...
Dec 18, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Plea Deal a Possibility in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Sam Anello was charged with negligent homicide in the death of Chloe Wiegand
- A plea deal is on the table for the grieving grandfather charged with negligent homicide in the July death of his 18-month-old granddaughter , Chloe Wiegand. The news comes as surveillance video of the toddler's 11-story fall from the open window of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship was leaked to...
Family Sues Cruise Line
Over Toddler's Fatal Fall
Dec 11, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Family Sues Cruise Line Over Toddler's Fatal Fall
Chloe Wiegand fell from what her grandfather says he didn't realize was an open window
- The family of the toddler who died in a fall from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship has spoken out against the company many times, and now they're suing. Chloe Wiegand's family, in a lawsuit they announced Wednesday in Indiana two days before what would have been Chloe's...
Then Tried to
'Drown Its Deceit'
Jun 5, 2019 11:22 AM CDT
DOJ: Carnival Re-Polluted, Then Tried to 'Drown Its Deceit'
Cruise company ordered to pay $20M on top of previous $40M for pollution violations, cover-up
- Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice—still shame on you, and you're going to pay big for it. That's essentially the Justice Department's message to Carnival Corporation, which just got busted, again, for its ships polluting the waters they sail in, and for trying...
by What They Found
in Room During Cruise
in case you missed it
Nov 3, 2018 12:32 PM CDT
Couple 'Flabbergasted' by What They Found in Room During Cruise
Chris and Dana White say they discovered hidden camera on Carnival's Fantasy
- They set sail aboard the Carnival Fantasy, but a Florida couple's experience aboard the cruise ship was less fantasy, more creepy nightmare. While some couples find towels adorably folded into the shapes of animals in their cabins, Chris and Dana White say they instead stumbled upon a hidden camera...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.