Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Genocide Victims
Jul 8, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Thousands March for Genocide Victims
Remains of those slaughtered by Bosnian Serb forces are still being found, nearly 30 years later
- A solemn peace march started on Saturday through the forests in eastern Bosnia in memory of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, Europe's only acknowledged genocide since World War II. The 60-mile march retraces a route taken by thousands of men and boys from the Bosniak ethnic group, made up primarily...
Lula Airlifts Starving
Finger at Bolsonaro
Jan 24, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Lula Airlifts Starving Tribespeople, Points Finger at Bolsonaro
Hundreds of Yanomami children have reportedly died as a result of illegal mining
- Brazil's president has accused his predecessor Jair Bolsonaro of committing genocide against the remote Amazon tribe of Yanomami, whose territory has been infiltrated by illegal miners . President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who said he was "shocked" while visiting tribespeople in Brazil's northern state of Roraima...
After 16 Years, $337M Tribunal
Ends With Just 3 Convictions
Sep 22, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
After 16 Years, $337M Tribunal Ends With Just 3 Convictions
UN-backed court rejects appeal from Khmer Rouge's last surviving leader
- The international court convened in Cambodia to judge the Khmer Rouge for its brutal 1970s rule ended its work Thursday after spending $337 million and 16 years to convict just three men of crimes after the regime caused the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million people. In its final...
Unlike Biden, Macron Still
Won't Use the Word 'Genocide'
Apr 13, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Unlike Biden, Macron Still Won't Use the Word 'Genocide'
The French President doesn't think heightened rhetoric will lead to peace
- French President Emmanual Macron said Wednesday he still prefers the term "war crimes" over "genocide" in reference to events in Ukraine, per the Hill. Macron said he wants to "stop the war and build peace," and he worries such rhetoric will only raise tensions. For his...
Biden Calls Ukraine
Apr 12, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Biden Calls Ukraine Atrocities 'Genocide'
'Putin is just trying to wipe out the idea of even being a Ukrainian'
- President Biden said Tuesday Russia's war in Ukraine amounted to "genocide," accusing Vladimir Putin of trying to "wipe out the idea of even being a Ukrainian." "Yes, I called it genocide," he told reporters in Iowa shortly before boarding Air Force One to...
Biden on Putin's Tactics:
'I Think It Is a War Crime'
Apr 4, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Biden on Putin's Tactics: 'I Think It Is a War Crime'
'What's happening in Bucha is outrageous,' he says
- President Biden is again escalating his public condemnation of Vladimir Putin. As evidence emerges of mass atrocities against civilians in areas around Kyiv, Biden on Monday doubled down on his branding of Putin as a "war criminal" and said the US is gathering information about alleged war crimes, reports...
Getting Ready to
Declare a Genocide
Mar 21, 2022 3:22 AM CDT
Biden Administration Getting Ready to Declare a Genocide
White House will reportedly make the designation formally on Monday
- The Biden administration intends to declare that Myanmar’s years-long repression of the Rohingya Muslim population is a “genocide," US officials said Sunday. Secretary of State Antony Blinken plans to make the long-anticipated designation on Monday at an event at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, according to the...
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks
Do Not Go Over Well
Jan 18, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks Do Not Go Over Well
Chamath Palihapitiya walks back 'don't care' comments made on his podcast
- While discussing concerns over China's treatment of Uighurs, billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya didn't even feign interest. "The rest of us don't care," he said on Saturday's episode of his podcast, per CNBC . Palihapitiya said he had more important things to worry about than reports...
Tesla's New Showroom Is
Subject of Much Consternation
Jan 4, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Tesla's New Showroom Is Subject of Much Consternation
American activists want the Xinjiang location closed immediately
- American activists are appealing to Tesla to close a new showroom in China’s northwestern region of Xinjiang, where officials are accused of abuses against mostly Muslim ethnic minorities. China is one of Tesla's biggest markets, and the company on Friday announced the opening of its showroom in Urumqi,...
Harris' Staff Goes
to Work After Her
Answer on Israel
Oct 1, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Harris' Staff Goes to Work After Her Answer on Israel
Vice president didn't contest student's claim about ethnic genocide
- Vice President Kamala Harris had a chance to argue the point made by a college student who asked her about "ethnic genocide" supposedly committed by Israel. But she didn't. That's got her staff scrambling now to reassure allies that her support for Israel remains "consistent and...
Aug 23, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-President of Bolivia Recovering After Apparent Suicide Attempt
Jeanine Anez, charged with 'genocide,' in stable condition after apparently cutting her arms
- On Friday, Bolivian prosecutors charged Jeanine Anez—the former president of Bolivia, already in detention after being accused in March of leading a coup against another ex-Bolivian president, Evo Morales—with "genocide." Police are now saying the 54-year-old Anez tried to kill herself over the weekend in jail....
Jun 8, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
'Butcher of Bosnia' Loses His Genocide Appeal
Ratko Mladic is revered by Serbs, villainized by Bosniaks
- Ratko Mladic, the military chief known as the "Butcher of Bosnia" for orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes in the Balkan nation's 1992-95 war, lost his final legal battle Tuesday when UN judges affirmed his life sentence, the AP reports. The rejection of Mladic's appeals...
Germany Admits Colonial-Era
Genocide in Namibia
May 28, 2021 2:27 AM CDT
Germany Admits Colonial-Era Genocide in Namibia
Country will fund $1.3B in development projects
- Germany has reached an agreement with Namibia that will see it officially recognize as genocide the colonial-era killings of tens of thousands of people and commit to spending a total of $1.3 billion, largely on development projects. The accord announced Friday is the result of more than five years...
Biden Formally Recognizes
Apr 24, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Formally Recognizes Armenian Genocide
No previous president has used the term for mass killings under Ottoman Empire
- President Joe Biden has formally recognized that the systematic killings and deportations of hundreds of thousands of Armenians by Ottoman Empire forces in the early 20th century were "genocide"—using a term for the atrocities that his White House predecessors have avoided for decades over concerns of alienating...
Residents of 'Space Island'
Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Mar 10, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Residents of 'Space Island' Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Biak Island elder says supporting Indonesian spaceport would mean 'sponsoring' genocide
- Residents of a small island in Indonesia aren't too pleased to learn that their government has offered up their land to SpaceX boss Elon Musk. Indonesia President Joko Widodo has been encouraging Musk to build a rocket launch site in his country for months, per AFP . Biak's location,...
Open Letter Asks
Feb 3, 2021 2:56 PM CST
Open Letter Asks Governments to Boycott 2022 Olympics
180 groups call for boycott over human rights abuses
- A coalition of 180 rights group on Wednesday called for a boycott of next year's Beijing Winter Olympics tied to reported human rights abuses against ethnic minorities in China, reports the AP . The games are to open in one year, on Feb. 4, 2022, and are set to go...
Presidential Medal of Freedom
Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Aug 31, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient Faces Terror Charges
Paul Rusesabagina, depicted as hero in 'Hotel Rwanda,' is in custody in Kigali
- In the 2004 film
, Paul Rusesabagina was depicted as a hero who saved more than 1,200 lives during the 1994 Rwandan genocide at the hotel he managed in Kigali. George W. Bush even presented him with the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 for his humanitarian...
One of the World's 'Most
Wanted' Gets Arrested
May 16, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
One of the World's 'Most Wanted' Gets Arrested
Felicien Kabuga has been accused of equipping militias in the 1994 Rwandan genocide
- One of the most wanted fugitives in Rwanda’s 1994 genocide, a wealthy businessman accused of supplying machetes to killers and broadcasting propaganda urging mass slaughter, has been arrested outside Paris, the AP reports. Felicien Kabuga, who had a $5 million bounty on his head, had been accused of equipping...
Surprise Deal Is Bad News
for a Brutal Former Dictator
Feb 11, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Surprise Deal Is Bad News for a Brutal Former Dictator
Omar al-Bashir of Sudan may be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges
- A surprise development in Africa means an autocrat who ruled for decades might be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges. Coverage:
Omar al-Bashir, 76, ruled Sudan from 1989 until his ouster last year , and he did so with an "iron fist," per
From World Court, a 'Triumph
of International Justice'
Jan 23, 2020 8:37 AM CST
From World Court, a 'Triumph of International Justice'
International Court of Justice orders Myanmar to protect the Rohingya
- It's only the first step to address a lawsuit filed by Gambia accusing Myanmar of genocide, but an International Court of Justice decision this week is being applauded by the former as "a triumph of international justice." Per Reuters , a 17-member panel from the court at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.