Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Air Force
Stories 1 - 20 |
Air Force: We've Found
Wreckage of Downed Osprey
Dec 4, 2023 6:22 AM CST
Air Force: We've Found Wreckage of Downed Osprey
Divers discover aircraft debris, crew remains off southwestern Japan after crash last week
- US and Japanese divers have discovered wreckage and remains of crew members from a US Air Force Osprey aircraft that crashed last week off southwestern Japan, the Air Force announced Monday. The CV-22 Osprey carrying eight American personnel crashed Wednesday off Yakushima island during a training mission. The body of...
Another Osprey Has Gone
Down, This Time Off Japan
Nov 29, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Another Osprey Has Gone Down, This Time Off Japan
At least one is dead, 5 missing after US military aircraft crashes near Yakushima Island
- A US Osprey has crashed off the coast of Japan, killing at least one of the six people on board. Per CNN , the Japanese coast guard first received word of the aircraft's accident, which took place near Yakushima Island in the southern Kagoshima prefecture, shortly before 3pm local time...
Investigators Find Remains of
US Airman Lost for 80 Years
Nov 18, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Investigators Find Remains of US Airman Lost for 80 Years
Remains of Gilbert Myers recovered at 1943 crash site in Italy
- It wouldn't have taken long for the family of Gilbert Haldeen Myers to conclude the US Army Air Forces pilot was dead. Though he was declared missing in action, there were no reports of survivors after his crew's B-25 Mitchell bomber, tasked with attacking the Sciacca Aerodrome in...
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses
Abound. Now, a New Find
Aug 8, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses Abound. Now, a New Find
Air Force finds unsafe carcinogen levels at Montana's Malmstrom nuclear missiles base
- The Air Force has detected unsafe levels of a likely carcinogen at underground launch control centers at a Montana nuclear missile base where a striking number of men and women have reported cancer diagnoses. A new cleanup effort has now been ordered, reports the AP . The discovery "is the...
6 Officers Fired After Missile
Base Gets Inspection 'F'
Mar 2, 2023 6:50 PM CST
6 Officers Fired After Missile Base Gets Inspection 'F'
2 commanders, 4 subordinates relieved of command at North Dakota's Minot Air Force Base
- Six officers at an Air Force nuclear base were fired this week after units failed an inspection meant to ensure the nation's nuclear weapons stockpile is safe and secure, CNN reports. The two commanders and four subordinates "were in charge of caring for the infrastructure, fuel, and logistics...
Pilot Made $400K Misfire
Shooting at Object in Sky
Feb 14, 2023 10:54 AM CST
Pilot Made $400K Misfire Shooting at Object in Sky
'The first shot missed,' general admits about attempt over Lake Huron
- Four words you don't want to hear in regard to a US fighter pilot launching a missile at a mystery object in the skies above the US: "The first shot missed." On Tuesday, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark A. Milley acknowledged that the first Sidewinder missile fired...
US Servicewoman in Italy
Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Aug 22, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
US Servicewoman in Italy Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Woman was allegedly four times over the limit when she hit teen on cycle path
- A 20-year-old Air Force servicewoman is facing a vehicular homicide charge after allegedly killing a 15-year-old boy in a crash in northern Italy Sunday morning. Sources tell ANSA that the woman was four times over the legal limit when she hit Giovanna Vanier on a cycle path after losing control...
Military Drone Operators
Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
Apr 30, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Military Drone Operators Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
'New York Times' explores the effects on them
- Kevin Larson was a churchgoing Eagle Scout and honors student with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. He received his officer’s commission in 2012, but by then, the Air Force didn’t need airplane pilots, it needed drone pilots. Larson was disappointed, according to a story in the
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay
$230M to Massacre Victims
Feb 8, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay $230M to Massacre Victims
Judge had previously ruled military branch was 60% responsible for Sutherland Springs church shooting
The gunman who shot up a Texas church in 2017, killing 26 and injuring 22, is no longer alive to pay any kind of restitution to his victims or their loved ones. But on Monday, Judge Xavier Rodriguez of the US District Court for the Western District of Texas...
Dec 13, 2021 7:40 PM CST
Air Force Discharges 27 Who Refused Vaccinations
Personnel faced a Nov. 2 deadline
- The Defense Department has removed some of its first service members for refusing to be vaccinated for COVID-19. The Air Force announced Monday that it has discharged 27 unvaccinated people, Politico reports. Air Force personnel had a Nov. 2 deadline. The branch's most recent figures show that more than...
Air Force Member Guilty
of Killing Mennonite Woman
Oct 13, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Air Force Member Guilty of Killing Mennonite Woman
Mark Gooch first kidnapped Sasha Krause, say prosecutors
A US Air Force airman has been found guilty of kidnapping and murdering a Mennonite woman from a remote community in New Mexico. Mark Gooch, 22, was convicted by a jury in Arizona, where the body of 27-year-old Sasha Krause was found in a forest more than a month...
Trump Made 'Misguided'
Space Command Call: Governor
Jan 14, 2021 7:14 AM CST
Trump Made 'Misguided' Space Command Call: Governor
Colorado's Jared Polis says HQ is being moved as a Trump reward to Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville
- Tommy Tuberville, Alabama's newest GOP senator, may have just seen a big nod from President Trump, at least according to Colorado Gov. Jared Polis. The Democratic governor and other leaders from both parties in his state are slamming a decision to relocate Space Command headquarters from its temporary digs...
Military Suicides Rise
Up to 20% in 2020
Sep 27, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Military Suicides Rise Up to 20% in 2020
Leaders assume pandemic is part of the cause
- Military suicides have increased by as much as 20% this year compared to the same period in 2019, and some incidents of violent behavior have spiked as service members struggle under COVID-19, war-zone deployments, national disasters, and civil unrest. While the data is incomplete and causes of suicide are complex,...
USAF Pilot Injured by
Ground Fire From Virginia
Aug 12, 2020 2:58 PM CDT
USAF Pilot Injured by Ground Fire From Virginia
Helicopter was hit by bullet near Manassas
- A US Air Force helicopter had to make an emergency landing after it was hit by ground fire—over northern Virginia. The Air Force says the aircraft, which was on a training mission, was hit while flying at an altitude of 1,000 near Middleburg, around 10 miles northwest of...
A Female Air Force
Pilot Makes History
Jun 13, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
A Female Air Force Pilot Makes History
Capt. Emily Thompson flew an F-35 into combat
- "It's a pretty big honor." So said Capt. Emily Thompson after becoming the first woman to fly a stealth fighter jet into combat, Fox News reports. The Air Force says Thompson, call sign "Banzai," flew the F-35A Lightning II in a combat sortie and was...
Senate Unanimously Confirms
First Black Service Chief
Jun 9, 2020 5:32 PM CDT
Senate Unanimously Confirms First Black Service Chief
Gen. Charles Brown is new Air Force chief of staff
- The Senate on Tuesday unanimously confirmed Gen. Charles Brown Jr. as chief of staff of the US Air Force, making him the first black officer to lead one of the nation's military services. Vice President Mike Pence took the unusual step of presiding over the vote, something he usually...
Shooting at Air Base Leaves
2 Service Members Dead
Jun 1, 2020 11:11 AM CDT
Shooting at Air Base Leaves 2 Service Members Dead
Investigation underway at Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota
- A shooting early Monday has left two airmen dead at the Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota. The shooting occurred at 4:30am, according to a military statement, per the AP . The incident remains under investigation, but officials said there's no risk to other personnel. Additional details...
Air Force Scraps
Pilot Height Rule
May 25, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
Air Force Scraps Pilot Height Rule
It's a 'huge win' for women, official says
- Would-be aviators no longer need to worry about being too short or too tall for the Air Force. Officials say the Air Force height requirement has been scrapped and applicants will now go through an "anthropometric screening process" to determine what aircraft they can safely fly, CBS reports. Under...
US Air Force: Yep, We
Bombed Japan by Mistake
May 2, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
US Air Force: Yep, We Bombed Japan by Mistake
And here's how it happened
- Nothing like having a 500-pound bomb land on your property—but that's what someone experienced in Japan last year. A US Air Force F-16 fighter was flying a training mission in November when the pilot dropped a GBU-12 Paveway II bomb near Daughon Bombing Range in Aomori Prefecture,
US on Confusing Afghanistan
Plane Crash: It Was Ours
Jan 27, 2020 2:17 PM CST
US on Confusing Afghanistan Plane Crash: It Was Ours
US military says it was a US Air Force plane and there's no indication it was shot down
- After a flurry of confusing reports about a downed plane in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, the US military has confirmed it was a US Air Force plane that crashed. The rep for US forces in Afghanistan says the Bombardier E-11A crashed in the Ghazni province, the AP reports. US officials...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.