Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guy Who Surfs With Pet
Python Hit With a Fine
Sep 19, 2023 12:21 PM CDT
Guy Who Surfs With Pet Python Hit With a Fine
Wildlife authorities aren't pleased with Australia's Higor Fiuza and his snake, Shiva
- Higor Fiuza is a familiar face in the beach community along Australia's Gold Coast, and he's often got Shiva in tow. Shiva isn't the name of his surfboard, or a canine companion—that's his pet
python, who accompanies Fiuza in the water as he...
Surfing Otter Eludes
Jul 20, 2023 11:38 AM CDT
Surfing Otter Eludes Capture Again
Officials say 'Otter 841' has been aggressively going after surfers off of Santa Cruz, California
- A sea otter that has drawn national attention for its unique ability to steal surfboards from surfers and then hop aboard them continues to elude capture, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. This week, for example, California wildlife officials went out to the otter's known area by boat and put...
Pro Surfer Dies in
Jul 11, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Pro Surfer Dies in Freak Accident With Board
Hawaii native Mikala Jones was 'arguably one of the most barreled surfers on the planet'
- An American professional surfer who became famous for taking cameras and viewers inside barrel waves has died in a freak surfing accident. Mikala Jones, 44, was fatally injured while riding waves in Indonesia's Mentawai Islands on Sunday morning. According to
, the native Hawaiian was surfing near Awera Resort...
Surfing Legend Dies
Riding Giant Waves
Jan 6, 2023 8:24 AM CST
Surfing Legend Dies Riding Giant Waves
'Mad Dog' surfer Marcio Freire died while practicing in Nazare, Portugal
- Surfing legend Marcio Freire died Thursday in a place some call surfers' heaven: Nazare, Portugal, which is famous for its giant waves. The 47-year-old Brazilian died while practicing tow-in surfing, the local maritime authority said, per Reuters . He was one of three surfers in the documentary
, which looked...
Surfing Legend Dies
in 'One-Punch' Assault
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 1, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Surfing Legend Dies in 'One-Punch' Assault
Chris Davidson 'was one of the most stylish surfers we'd ever produced in this country'
- Australia's surfing community is mourning former pro surfer Chris Davidson, who died after an alleged assault outside a pub in New South Wales Saturday night. Police say the 45-year-old was found unconscious outside the South West Rocks Country Club, around five hours north of Sydney, after emergency services received...
This Is the Largest Wave
Ever Surfed by a Human
May 25, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
This Is the Largest Wave Ever Surfed by a Human
It measured 86 feet in height, and Sebastian Steudtner rode it
- The wave that surfer Sebastian Steudtner rode in October 2020 has been confirmed as the beast it appeared to be. Guinness World Records on Tuesday announced the 36-year-old German did indeed break the record for riding the largest wave when he rode an 86-footer off Portugal. The
Another Athlete Goes Public
With Mental Health Needs
Jan 26, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Another Athlete Goes Public With Mental Health Needs
Gabriel Medina pulls out of the World Surf League season
- In naming him its "Athlete of the Year 2021," SurferToday wrote that No. 1-ranked Gabriel Medina "seems to have found a personal stability that clearly influences his competitive performance." The 28-year-old Brazilian announced Monday on Instagram that he's bowing out of the 2022 World Surf...
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
Photographer Catches Moment
Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Sep 18, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Photographer Catches Moment Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Former surfer was shooting from the beach and caught whole incident on video
- Conditions were perfect for surfing at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, thanks to big waves from Hurricane Larry. Conditions were perfect for hungry sharks, too, however—thanks to mullet and other fish hanging out at the sandbars where waves were breaking, per CNN . Venturing into this perfect storm was 16-year-old...
Into Home, Fatally
Aug 26, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Kitesurfer Slams Into Home, Fatally
Friend said cancer survivor Fred Salter was 'a very intelligent waterman'
- A kitesurfer hoping to enjoy the waves in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., died Wednesday when a gust of wind lifted him off the beach, carried him 400 feet, then slammed him into the side of a home, WESH reports. An orange kite was seen protruding from a second-floor balcony of the...
Shark Attack Victim
Tried 'to Warn Others'
May 18, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Shark Attack Victim Tried 'to Warn Others'
Australia victim is first in country since November
- A surfer was killed by a shark on Tuesday off the east coast of Australia, police said. The man, said to be in his 50s, had been surfing off Forster, 190 miles north of Sydney, when he was attacked late in the morning, a police statement said. Onlookers pulled the...
Surfer Plays the Hero
in Beach Rescue
Jan 2, 2021 9:09 AM CST
Surfer Plays the Hero in Beach Rescue
Mikey Wright helps save a struggling swimmer in Hawaii
- A pro surfer helped prevent what could have been a beach tragedy in Hawaii, and it's captured in video you can see here . Australia's Mikey Wright was filming the surf from the beach in Oahu on New Year's Eve when it became clear that a swimmer was...
Don't Use a Lock Box
in case you missed it
Dec 6, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Surfers' Warning: Don't Use a Lock Box
Thieves can bust into them, as California surfers have learned
- California surfers say they're "under attack" by car thieves—and warn that anyone else using a lock box is vulnerable. Surfers often use lock boxes to hide their car keys while surfing at beaches in San Francisco. The problem, as the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports, is that lock...
Aussie Surfer Believed
Dead in Shark Attack
Oct 9, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Aussie Surfer Believed Dead in Shark Attack
Police are searching for him, though witnesses say he couldn't have survived
- A surfer is believed to have died off the south coast of Western Australia after numerous witnesses saw him attacked by a shark. Police are searching for the local man who suffered a "serious shark bite" while surfing at Kelp Beds Beach in Wylie Bay near Esperance just before...
'a Bit Weird.'
Then He Saw
Oct 8, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Surfer Felt 'a Bit Weird.' Then He Saw the Footage
Drone captures Bull shark almost touching Matt Wilkinson
- When Matt Wilkinson saw the footage, he could only put his head in his hands. He had heard a splash as he paddled his surfboard off the coast of Ballina in northern New South Wales, Australia, on Wednesday. "[I] looked around and couldn't see anything,” the world...
He Thought He'd
Lost His Board
an Instagram Tag
Sep 21, 2020 1:26 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Lost His Board Forever. Then, an Instagram Tag
Doug Falter's surfboard, lost in wipeout in Hawaii in 2018, turns up 5K miles away
- Filipino Giovanne Branzuela was pretty stoked over the summer to buy a weathered-looking surfboard for $40 from a neighbor, who'd purchased it from local fishermen who'd found it floating off the island of Sarangani. They'd figured it had fallen from a yacht cruising in the area. Branzuela...
Killed by a
Jul 12, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Teen Surfer Killed by a 'Really Big Great White'
Mani Hart-Deville, 15, lost his life in Australia on Saturday
- A teen surfer died Saturday after a suspected shark attack left him with severe leg injuries, Australia's News Network reports. Seems 15-year-old Mani Hart-Deville was surfing in New South Wales, Australia, when the shark bit him and other surfers dragged the wounded boy to shore on Wooli Beach. "...
Jun 7, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
Shark Kills Aussie Surfer
Great white kills 60-year-old in 3rd fatal attack this year
- A great white shark attacked a 60-year-old Australian surfer Sunday morning, causing injuries to the man's left leg that proved fatal despite two men who fought off the shark and dragged the victim to shore for first aid, reports Sky News . The beach in South Kingscliff, New South Wales,...
Surfers Took to the Water,
and 5 Didn't Make It Out Alive
May 13, 2020 11:59 AM CDT
Surfers Took to the Water, and 5 Didn't Make It Out Alive
Dutch surfers caught in high winds, thick foam off The Hague
- At least five surfers have died in a storm off The Hague, Netherlands. The men, aged 22 to 38, were described as experienced, with some reportedly serving as lifeguards and surf school instructors, per the
. They'd been among a group of 10 surfers and swimmers who set out...
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
May 10, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
26-year-old man was within 100 yards of shore at Manresa State Beach
- A surfer was killed in a shark attack off a Northern California beach, state park officials said Saturday. The 26-year-old man was surfing off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay around 1:30pm when he was attacked by an unknown shark species, the California State Parks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.