Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
near earth objects
THOR Might Save
Us All One Day
Jun 5, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
THOR Might Save Us All One Day
The asteroid-hunting algorithm, not the superhero
- Ed Lu is a former NASA astronaut with a PhD in applied physics, and he is worried about near-Earth asteroids—space rocks at least 460 feet in diameter that have been nudged by gravity into Earth’s neighborhood. According to the
New York Times ,
only 40% of the estimated 25,...
He Discovered an
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
He Discovered an Asteroid—Then Its Earth-Bound Path
It soon after struck Earth's atmosphere over Norwegian sea, as NASA system predicted
- An asteroid was spotted for the first time Friday only about two hours before it entered into Earth's atmosphere. NASA's early warning system that detects near-Earth objects was put to the test after astronomer Krisztián Sarneczky at the Piszkésteto Observatory in northern Hungary notified the Minor...
It'll Look Like
Mar 2, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Here's What It'll Look Like When Rocket Crashes Into Moon
Moon dust to fly hundreds of miles from impact crater, which is expected to be quite large
- The moon is about to get walloped by 3 tons of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semitractor-trailers. A leftover rocket will smash into the far side of the moon at 5,800mph on Friday, away from telescopes' prying eyes, the AP...
Odds on Asteroid
Hit Going Up
Aug 12, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Odds on Asteroid Hit Going Up
It's still very unlikely Bennu will strike in the next century
- The good news is that scientists have a better handle on asteroid Bennu's whereabouts for the next 200 years. The bad news is that the space rock considered one of the two most hazardous known asteroids in our solar system has a slightly greater chance of clobbering Earth than...
Asteroid Bound for
Close Call With Earth
Feb 6, 2013 2:19 AM CST
Asteroid Bound for Close Call With Earth
But DA14 definitely won't hit us, NASA says
- An asteroid big enough to flatten a city will zip closer to Earth than any previously observed space object its size on Feb. 15, but astronomers say there is zero chance of 2012 DA14 squishing any Earthlings this time around. With a 148-foot diameter and the mass of a cruise...
How to Watch
Jun 14, 2012 4:55 AM CDT
How to Watch Tonight's Asteroid Flyby
Huge near-Earth asteroid 2012 LZ1 is approaching
- An unusually large and bright asteroid will fly by Earth tonight, and astronomers believe it will come close enough to be caught on camera, Space.com reports. 2012 LZ1, which was only discovered this week, is between 1,000 and 2,300 feet wide and, at its closest, is expected...
Feb 29, 2012 1:02 AM CST
Asteroid Could Threaten Earth
Deflection mission may be needed to keep 2011 AG5 away
- Astronomers are keeping their eyes on an asteroid with the potential to make life very uncomfortable for a lot of Earthlings 28 years from now. The near-Earth asteroid 2011 AG5, a chunk of rock roughly 460 feet wide, will be close to our planet in 2040, and scientists believe there...
Asteroid Won't Slam Into Mars After All
Jan 11, 2008 4:24 AM CST
Asteroid Won't Slam Into Mars After All
Disappointed scientists were hoping to study collision
- An asteroid heading toward Mars won't crash into it after all, according to disappointed scientists. They had initially calculated there was a 1-in-27 chance of the space rock hitting the red planet, but after new observations researchers estimate the odds are only 1 in 10,000, "effectively ruling out...
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.