Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
BTK Killer, Cold Case
Sep 13, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Sheriff 'Furious' About DA's Remarks on BTK Killer, Cold Case
Sheriff, DA in dispute over his possible involvement in death of Cynthia Kinney
- An Oklahoma sheriff said Dennis Rader, who dubbed himself the "BTK Killer," was a prime suspect in the disappearance of a 16-year-old cheerleader whose body was never found. But now the local district attorney is saying there's not enough evidence to label Rader a suspect in the...
Serial Killer Ex-Cop
Dies on Death Row
Sep 12, 2023 7:37 PM CDT
Serial Killer Ex-Cop Dies on Death Row
Anthony Sully was on death row for nearly 40 years
- A former California police officer turned serial killer who was on death row after being convicted of murdering six people in the 1980s has died of natural causes, authorities said. Anthony Sully, 79, died Friday at a medical facility outside the San Quentin Rehabilitation Center, where he had been housed...
Abducted by a Serial Killer in
'81, She Finally Tells Her Story
Aug 19, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Abducted by a Serial Killer in '81, She Finally Tells Her Story
Margy Palm opens up to 'Vanity Fair'
- "I became friends with a serial killer," says Margy Palm. But not just any serial killer—the one who may have very well intended to kill her. Palm tells her story in detail for the first time to Julie Miller for
. Now 72, the San Antonio...
He's the Last Unidentified
Victim of the 'Candy Man'
Aug 8, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
He's the Last Unidentified Victim of the 'Candy Man'
New sketch may help identify teen killed 50 years ago in Houston
- A newly released sketch may close the final chapter on a notorious serial killer who preyed on teen boys in Houston 50 years ago. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children unveiled a sketch of the last unidentified victim of Dean Corll, who came to be known as the...
Remains at Indiana Farm
Are From 1980s Serial Killer
Jul 27, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Remains at Indiana Farm Are From 1980s Serial Killer
After four decades, authorities finally able to identify teen victim Keith Lavell Bibbs
- Human remains found buried in 1983 at an abandoned Indiana farm have been identified as those of a Chicago teenager who was a victim of the late serial killer Larry Eyler, per the AP . The remains, which were found near the remains of three young men Eyler also killed, are...
After Heuermann Arrest, Cold
Cases in 3 States Get New Look
Jul 21, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
After Heuermann Arrest, Cold Cases in 3 States Get New Look
Long Island architect owns property in Nevada, South Carolina; Atlantic City looking its cases over
- Unsolved murders "around the nation" are getting a fresh look this week in light of the arrest of suspected serial killer Rex Heuermann, Suffolk County, New York, Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison tells WABC . Heuermann is charged with killing three sex workers on Long Island, and is considered the prime...
Cops Think Heuermann
Killed at His Home
Jul 21, 2023 5:53 AM CDT
Cops Think Heuermann Killed at His Home
Suspected LI serial killer's family was out of town when women disappeared: source
- The women believed to have been murdered by the Gilgo Beach serial killer all disappeared during times that the family of the newly arrested suspect in the Long Island slayings, Rex Heuermann, was out of town. For that reason, a source connected to the investigation tells CNN , investigators are operating...
Texas Man Arrested in
Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Jul 20, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Texas Man Arrested in Serial Sex Worker Slayings
Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, allegedly killed 3 women over 4 months in Dallas
- Another suspected serial killer has surfaced, this time in Texas. Oscar Sanchez Garcia, 25, was arrested Wednesday and will be charged with three counts of murder tied to the deaths of three women in Dallas from April through July. All three women were found stabbed to death near the Trinity...
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal
as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jul 18, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jesse Lee Calhoun is person of interest in deaths of 4 women near Portland, Oregon: reports
- Days after police arrested a suspected serial killer linked to the deaths of four women in New York, authorities have identified a person of interest in the deaths of four women on the other side of the country. Kristin Smith, 22; Charity Perry, 24; Bridget Webster, 31; and Ashley Real,...
Suspected Serial Killer
at Jail: 'Is It in the News?'
Jul 18, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Suspected Serial Killer at Jail: 'Is It in the News?'
Meanwhile, DA says suspect's DNA was found on victim's body
- During intake at the jail after he was arrested on suspicion of murdering at least three women in Long Island's Gilgo Beach, Rex Heuermann had just one question, a source tells CNN : "Is it in the news?" The 59-year-old was placed on suicide watch, a Suffolk County Sheriff'...
Alleged Serial Killer
Were Eerily On-Point
Jul 17, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Predictions About Alleged Serial Killer Were Eerily On-Point
Criminologists turned out to be right about what the suspect might be like
New York Times
takes a look back at its own 2011 article on the Gilgo Beach serial killer, and the results are eerie: Criminologists interviewed by the paper at the time said the suspect would be a white man in his mid-20s to mid-40s who was either married or...
'Watershed' Break in L.I. Case
Came in Vehicle Database
Jul 15, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
'Watershed' Break in L.I. Case Came in Vehicle Database
Investigators found match for vehicle linked to suspect Rex Heuermann from old witness statement
- If Long Island architect Rex Heuermann is indeed the Gilgo Beach serial killer , it appears that he was done in by a sharp-eyed witness and Heuermann's own choice of vehicle. District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney says the "watershed" discovery in the case came in March 2022, when investigators...
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's
Fourth Victim Identified
Jun 9, 2023 6:03 AM CDT
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's Fourth Victim Identified
Kerry Ann Cummings' family last heard from her in 1997
- For more than 25 years, family members wondered what had happened to Kerry Ann Cummings. Thanks to forensic genealogy, they now have closure, but her fate was a grim one. Investigators say Cummings, who was 25 years old and suffering from untreated mental illness when her family last heard from...
Woman Suspected of
Killing 13 With Cyanide
Apr 27, 2023 4:39 PM CDT
Woman Suspected of Killing 13 With Cyanide
Thai woman's alleged victims include friends, police officers, boyfriend
- The former wife of a senior police officer in Thailand is suspected of being a serial killer with more than a dozen victims. Authorities believe Sararat Rangsiwuthaporn started killing people she knew, including two female police officers, with cyanide in 2020, the BBC reports. Police say the 36-year-old had a...
Have Info on the 'Doodler'?
Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 26, 2023 6:09 AM CST
Have Info on the 'Doodler'? Reward Just Got Even Bigger
Police in San Francisco up the pot to $250K, release new sketch in search for '70s serial killer
- Last year, police upped the reward in their search for the "Doodler," a serial killer from the '70s who went after gay men. Now, they've increased the pot even more, this time from $200,000 to $250,000, and released a new sketch of the suspect,...
Victim's 1973 Struggle With
Her Killer Credited With Arrest
Jan 16, 2023 1:23 PM CST
Victim's 1973 Struggle With Her Killer Credited With Arrest
Man described as serial killer admits assault on Leslie Perlov, who had his DNA under her nails
- It took 50 years, but detectives in California's Santa Clara County are finally able to close the books on a brutal 1973 sexual assault and murder. John Getreu, a 78-year-old described by authorities as a serial killer, pleaded guilty last week to killing 21-year-old Nancy Perlov, a law librarian...
Suspected Serial Killer
Charged with 4 More Murders
Dec 28, 2022 2:12 PM CST
Suspected Serial Killer Charged with 4 More Murders
Wesley Brownlee was arrested in October
- A man who police say was "on a mission to kill" and "was out hunting" when he was arrested in October has been hit with additional charges. Wesley Brownlee, 43, had already been charged with three counts of first-degree murder in connection with killings that occurred in Stockton,...
in the '70s. Now
Dec 23, 2022 12:51 PM CST
'The Serpent' Killed Backpackers in the '70s. Now He's Free
Admitted serial killer Charles Sobhraj is released from a Nepal prison
- Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for killing American and Canadian backpackers and was taken to the airport for a flight back to Paris, his attorney said. His alleged killings were dramatized in a series co-produced...
'Torso Killer' Confesses
5 More Murders
Dec 6, 2022 2:19 AM CST
'Torso Killer' Confesses 5 More Murders
Richard Cottingham sentenced in Diane Cusick murder
- The serial killer known as the "Torso Killer" has confessed to five more murders. Richard Cottingham, who was already serving time for 11 murders when he was charged with another murder in a 1968 cold case last year, on Monday pleaded guilty to that murder and admitted he was...
Alleged Serial Killer
Accused of Murdering
4 Indigenous Women
Dec 2, 2022 1:23 PM CST
Alleged Serial Killer Accused of Murdering 4 Indigenous Women
Canadian suspect Jeremy Skibicki linked to far-right group
- A man arrested in Canada earlier this year is now believed to be a serial killer with at least four victims, all of them Indigenous women. Jeremy Skibicki, a 35-year-old resident of Winnipeg, Manitoba, was charged in May with the murder of 24-year-old Rebecca Contois, a member of the Crane...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
One Sign Haley Is Gaining Traction: Trump Goes on Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.