Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sandra Day O'Connor Dead at 93
Stories 1 - 20 |
'There Is No
Feb 28, 2023 7:05 AM CST
Manager on Sizemore: 'There Is No Further Hope'
Family of 61-year-old actor, in coma after brain aneurysm, are making 'end-of-life' decisions
- It's not good news for Tom Sizemore. The 61-year-old actor, who collapsed in his Los Angeles home earlier this month after suffering a brain aneurysm from a stroke, remains in a coma in critical condition, and his manager says it's not going to get better from here. "...
Man Accused by Sister Who
Woke From Coma Is Dead
Jul 22, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Man Accused by Sister Who Woke From Coma Is Dead
Daniel Palmer dies in custody in West Virginia
- A bizarre case out of West Virginia has taken another turn. A 55-year-old man accused of trying to kill his sister—by her, after she woke from a two-year coma —has died in custody, reports the AP . Daniel Palmer of Cottageville died at a Charleston hospital on Thursday, one...
He Went Into a Coma, Then
19 Years Later Said 'Mom'
Apr 4, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
He Went Into a Coma, Then 19 Years Later Said 'Mom'
Arkansas' Terry Wallis dies at 57, nearly 2 decades after he regained consciousness
- He was known as "The Man Who Slept for 19 Years." Now, nearly two decades after he woke up from a post-accident coma, Terry Wallis has died. An obituary details the stunning story of the 57-year-old from Big Flat, Ark., starting with a 1984 car crash just six...
A Star Athlete Spent 39 Years
in a Coma. His Wife Never Left
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
A Star Athlete Spent 39 Years in a Coma. His Wife Never Left
Given the chance, Bernadette Adams always chose love and hope
- Bernadette and Jean-Pierre Adams met in the late 1960s on a dancefloor in central France. She was a hardworking country girl with an 8th-grade education; he was an African immigrant and factory worker with big soccer dreams. When Bernadette's mother met the Black man, she made Bernadette choose. As...
49ers Fan in Induced Coma
After Beating at Rams' Stadium
Feb 3, 2022 4:50 PM CST
49ers Fan in Induced Coma After Beating at Rams' Stadium
Daniel Luna, 40, had gone from Oakland to LA for the NFL playoff game
- A 49ers fan wearing a San Francisco jersey apparently was beaten in the stadium parking lot on his way to see his team play the Los Angeles Rams in the playoffs on Sunday. Daniel Luna, 40, is hospitalized in a medically induced coma,
reports. He had taken a...
COVID Patient Wakes on Day
Family Was to Pull the Plug
Nov 18, 2021 5:35 PM CST
COVID Patient Wakes on Day Family Was to Pull the Plug
Bettina Lerman, 69, has a long road of recovery ahead
- Doctors were certain Bettina Lerman would not wake after more than a month on a ventilator battling COVID-19 at a hospital in Portland, Maine. So her family flew to Lerman's home in Florida, canceled her lease, got rid of many of her possessions, and began planning a funeral, reports...
After 39 Years in a Coma,
Soccer Player Is Dead
Sep 7, 2021 1:25 AM CDT
After 39 Years in a Coma, Soccer Player Is Dead
Jean-Pierre Adams suffered brain damage during routine knee operation
- The former French soccer player whose coma was the longest of any man in history has died at the age of 73, 39 years after falling into a coma during a knee operation gone wrong. Jean-Pierre Adams played for teams including Paris Saint-Germain and Nice before the botched procedure in...
From 10-Month Coma
Jun 10, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Woman Wakes From 10-Month Coma
Italy's Cristina Rosi gave birth after suffering a heart attack last year
- An Italian mother who gave birth to a baby girl the better part of a year ago can finally meet her daughter. The BBC reports that 37-year-old Cristina Rosi has woken from a 10-month coma and spoken her first word: "Mama." The outlet collects reports from Italian media...
Girl in Coma After Crash
Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
Feb 16, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Girl in Coma After Crash Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
But Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach may still be out of a job
- A 5-year-old girl who suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash with a Kansas City Chiefs coach earlier this month is out of a coma. Ariel Young awoke Monday, 11 days after Britt Reid struck her family's vehicle on a highway on-ramp near the team practice facility in Kansas City,...
In a Coma Since Accident, Teen
Doesn't Know About Pandemic
Feb 4, 2021 5:20 PM CST
In a Coma Since Accident, Teen Doesn't Know About Pandemic
Family isn't sure how to tell what's happened since last March
- A teenager in the UK has had the coronavirus twice but doesn't know it. Joseph Flavill has been in a coma since he was hit by a car March 1 while walking in the town of Burton upon Trent, suffering a traumatic brain injury. That was three weeks before...
It Was a 'Miracle' Birth. The
Mother Knew Nothing of It
Nov 19, 2020 11:10 AM CST
It Was a 'Miracle' Birth. The Mother Knew Nothing of It
Perpetual Uke praises medical science for delivery of twins while in coma
- Perpetual Uke was 26 weeks pregnant when her twins were delivered by cesarean section at a hospital in Birmingham, England. She didn't meet them for a month. Diagnosed with COVID-19, the rheumatology consultant had been taken to the hospital, placed on a ventilator in the ICU, and then put...
'What Is Going On'
With Kim Jong Un?
Aug 26, 2020 11:51 AM CDT
'What Is Going On' With Kim Jong Un?
He was said once again to be incapacitated—then supposedly showed up smoking a cigarette
- There's a lot going on in the world right now, but Bloomberg has just come out and asked the question we've all had simmering in the back of our minds for some time: "What's going on with Kim Jong Un?" In April, the North Korean leader...
Critically Ill Navalny Gets OK to
Be Flown From Russia to Berlin
Aug 21, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Critically Ill Navalny Gets OK to Be Flown From Russia to Berlin
Russian doctors at first refused family's request to let him be transported, saying he was too sick
- Alexei Navalny is headed to Germany. The family of the 44-year-old Russian opposition leader— in a coma and on a ventilator in a hospital's intensive care unit in Omsk after what allies suspect was a poisoning on Thursday—had wanted Navalny to be transferred to a clinic in Berlin,...
Woman Wakes From
Coma After Volcano,
Gets Tragic News
Feb 12, 2020 6:40 AM CST
Woman Wakes From Coma After Volcano, Gets Tragic News
Severely burned Lisa Dallow finds out husband, 15-year-old daughter died in NZ disaster
- Bittersweet news out of Australia, where a woman severely burned in the eruption of the White Island volcano in New Zealand finally awoke from her coma—only to find out her family had died in the disaster. A rep for the family tells the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that 48-year-old engineer...
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for
Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Jan 2, 2020 7:02 AM CST
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Relatives of 71-year-old Josef Neumann say he likely won't recover after Hanukkah stabbing
- Just one of five Jewish people stabbed at a Hanukkah celebration in upstate New York is still hospitalized, but his family says his condition is "dire" and it doesn't look like he'll recover. "Doctors are not optimistic about his chances to regain consciousness" says a statement...
Woman in Coma After
Using Face Cream
Sep 12, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Woman in Coma After Using Face Cream
Sacramento woman bought skin-lightening cream in Mexico tainted with mercury
- A 47-year-old woman from Sacramento, Calif., stumbled into the ER earlier this summer, slurring her speech and complaining of numbness in her face and hands. Soon after, she slipped into a semi-comatose state, which she's now been in for weeks, and health officials say they've traced the cause...
No Man Has Been in a Coma
Longer Than Him
Jul 8, 2019 6:28 PM CDT
No Man Has Been in a Coma Longer Than Him
Former soccer star just reached the 37-year mark
- Jean-Pierre Adams went to the hospital in July 1982 for what should have been routine surgery on his knee. He's been asleep ever since.
reports that on July 7, the former French soccer star's coma became the third-longest in history. Women have the longest two, giving Adams...
Is in a Coma
Apr 25, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
John Singleton Is in a Coma
'Boyz N the Hood' director suffered a stroke earlier this month
- Court papers show that
Boyz N the Hood
director John Singleton is in a coma at a Los Angeles hospital eight days after suffering a major stroke, the AP reports. The 51-year-old director's condition was revealed in a court filing Thursday from his mother, Shelia Ward, who is requesting...
Wakes, Learns It's
the 21st Century
Apr 23, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Comatose Woman Wakes, Learns It's the 21st Century
Munira Abdulla had been unresponsive since 1991
- Until June 2018, Munira Abdulla had last been conscious when mobile phones were just starting to be widely sold . Had they then been readily available, someone might have been able to call for help. Instead, Abdulla waited for hours for help to arrive after the car she was in collided...
Man Wakes From
Coma, Goes Home
to Celebrate Christmas
Feb 8, 2019 2:09 PM CST
Man Wakes From Coma, Goes Home to Celebrate Christmas
Caine's neighbors, family kept the holiday alive for him while he remained unconscious for 6 weeks
- If you still have your holiday decorations up, you may not have a great excuse. But a famous street in San Diego has a very good one, and it's heartwarming to boot. The residents of Rancho Penasquitos' Ellingham Drive, aka "Christmas Card Lane," are renowned for their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.