Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Debate Stage Loses
One More Candidate
Nov 7, 2023 7:49 AM CST
GOP Debate Stage Loses One More Candidate
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum didn't meet polling requirements for Miami event but soldiers on
- Just five candidates are expected to take to their podiums in Miami this week for the third GOP presidential debate, and Doug Burgum isn't one of them. KMOT reports that the North Dakota governor didn't fulfill all of the polling requirements to qualify for the Wednesday matchup, with...
One Sign Haley
Goes on Attack
Sep 28, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
One Sign Haley Is Gaining Traction: Trump Goes on Attack
Former president's campaign criticizes her on multiple issues after debate performance
- In the eyes of most observers, Nikki Haley acquitted herself well Wednesday night for the second GOP debate. Maybe the most telling evidence of that is that the campaign of Donald Trump made a point to go after her with a statement titled "The Real Nikki Haley." Among...
In GOP Rematch, 'the Sand Is
Going Through the Hourglass'
Sep 27, 2023 6:50 AM CDT
In GOP Rematch, 'the Sand Is Going Through the Hourglass'
Time is running out to gain ground on Trump as 2nd Republican presidential debate takes place
- The way things stood Monday remain how they stand just hours before the Republican presidential debate Wednesday in California, with two notable candidates not expected to take the stage. FOX 26 Houston reports that former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson didn't make the cut, while former President Trump, far and...
2nd GOP Debate
Will Be Missing 2 Candidates
Sep 26, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
2nd GOP Debate Will Be Missing 2 Candidates
One by choice, the other because he didn't make the cut
- When Republicans take the stage Wednesday night for the second debate of the 2024 primary season, there will be one fewer candidate. Asa Hutchinson, the former Arkansas governor who participated in the first debate, did not make the cut for Wednesday's, so he'll be holding a press conference...
Will Be Test
for Her, Too
Sep 25, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
GOP Debate Will Be Test for Her, Too
Dana Perino of Fox News is in the spotlight Wednesday night
- The second Republican debate takes place Wednesday night, and the
New York Times
sees it as a challenge not only for the candidates, but as perhaps the "biggest test" yet as a journalist for moderator Dana Perino. Coverage:
Nuts and bolts:
The debate begins at 9pm ET on Fox
Trump: Yep, I'm Skipping
First Republican Debate
Aug 21, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Trump: Yep, I'm Skipping First Republican Debate
And possibly all the others, though that's not entirely clear
- Former President Trump is officially out: Trump confirmed Sunday in a Truth Social post that he will not be attending the first Republican debate of the 2024 presidential primary season when it is held Wednesday. "New CBS POLL, just out, has me leading the field by 'legendary' numbers,...
Report: Trump Plans to Steal
Viewers From GOP Debate
Aug 18, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Report: Trump Plans to Steal Viewers From GOP Debate
Will he talk to Tucker Carlson? Or will he surrender?
- It looks like former President Trump will not only skip the first Republican presidential primary debate, but also reportedly engage in "counterprogramming" of some form. Trump intends to draw audiences away from Wednesday's Fox News-hosted debate—which will feature his biggest Republican challenger, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis—perhaps...
Trump on GOP
Loyalty Pledge: Nope
Aug 10, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Trump on GOP Loyalty Pledge: Nope
Former POTUS has already said he might skip first Republican presidential debate
- Former President Trump said Wednesday he won't sign a pledge to support the Republican nominee if he loses the GOP presidential primary, flouting a requirement for appearing in the first debate later this month, the AP reports. "Why would I sign it?" Trump said in an interview on...
Aug 8, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
First GOP Debate Now Has Eight Qualifiers
Mike Pence is the latest to make the threshold
- Mike Pence and former President Trump have been sniping at each from afar of late, and they might now face each other in person. The former vice president has become the eighth Republican candidate to qualify for the first GOP debate on Aug. 23, reports Fox News . Pence qualified by...
Renewed Threat From Trump:
'He Knows Fox Hates Him'
Jun 27, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Renewed Threat From Trump: 'He Knows Fox Hates Him'
Former president doubles down on suggestion he won't take part in GOP debate hosted by network
- Last week, during an interview on Fox News, Donald Trump became increasingly agitated at the pushback he was getting from interviewer Bret Baier over his 2020 election loss—to the point where Trump called the network "hostile" and insinuated he might not take part in the first GOP primary...
to Drop Out
Jan 13, 2022 5:05 PM CST
GOP Moves to Drop Out of Debates
Party considers making candidates sign a pledge to stay out of commission's events
- GOP unhappiness with the commission that runs the presidential debates reached a peak Thursday, when the Republican National Committee told the nonprofit it wants its candidates to sit out the event in the future. The committee told the nonprofit in a letter that it plans to require its candidates to...
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood
Oxygen Level Hit 86%
Dec 7, 2021 1:34 AM CST
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood Oxygen Level Hit 86%
In new book, Mark Meadows says Trump's COVID case got scarier than was revealed
Donald Trump's blood oxygen level dropped to about 86%, 10 points or so below what is considered normal, within hours of announcing he'd tested positive for COVID-19 last year, according to his former chief of staff. The
New York Times
has more details from Mark Meadows' book,...
Needs to Fix
Jun 2, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
RNC: Presidential Debates Group Needs to Fix 'Intolerable' Situation
Chair McDaniel says if debates aren't made more 'fair,' she'll advise GOP nominees not to take part
- The 2024 election is still awhile off, but the Republican National Committee is already making demands regarding that year's presidential debates. On Tuesday, RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates saying that big changes are needed for both the format of the debates...
Christie: I Might
Challenge Trump in '24
Dec 22, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Christie: I Might Challenge Trump in '24
'I would not rule it out'
- In President Trump's view, the 2020 election is still not settled. And yet, headlines about a potential 2024 contest already are surfacing. In a Monday interview with conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt, Chris Christie said he's considering a run in the next presidential election—even if...
Takeaways From the
Oct 23, 2020 6:23 AM CDT
Takeaways From the Trump-Biden Clash
President didn't get a game-changer, analysts say
- President Trump and Joe Biden shared a debate stage for the second and final time Thursday night—and it was a far more restrained affair than their first meeting, helped by the introduction of a mute button and widely praised moderating from NBC's Kristen Welker. With far fewer interruptions...
Even Trump Liked
Oct 23, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Even Trump Liked This Moderator
Kristen Welker is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews
- President Trump slammed Kristen Welker more than once in the lead-up to Thursday's debate, which she moderated. But once she started actually moderating, he ended up being among those giving her positive reviews. "By the way, so far I respect very much the way you’re handling this,...
Some Notable Lines
From Final Debate
Oct 22, 2020 9:53 PM CDT
Some Notable Lines From Final Debate
Biden promises to bring 'BidenCare'
- The second presidential debate was a marked changed from the first one, with few interruptions as the candidates covered a range of topics, including COVID and corruption . Late in the forum, President Trump sought to score points on energy by asking Joe Biden if he would shut down the oil...
Trump Tests New
Nickname for Biden
Oct 22, 2020 8:55 PM CDT
Trump Tests New Nickname for Biden
Calls rival 'the big man' while alleging unethical business deals
- President Trump again pressed his case during Thursday night's debate that Joe and Hunter Biden acted unethically in regard to Hunter's business dealings. At one point, he referred to the elder Biden as "the big man" and suggested that he has orchestrated global deals that were enriching...
Trump Brings Notable
Special Guest to Debate
Oct 22, 2020 8:31 PM CDT
Trump Brings Notable Special Guest to Debate
He invites Hunter Biden's former business partner to final showdown
- The second and final debate between President Trump and Joe Biden is underway, this time with one big rule change : A candidate's mic can be muted to ensure his rival can speak. In the first half hour, however, the tone has been civil relative to the first debate.
What to Expect in the
Final Presidential Debate
Oct 22, 2020 5:01 AM CDT
What to Expect in the Final Presidential Debate
Allies hope for new tone from Trump
- After a chaotic first debate and a second one that was replaced by dueling town halls, President Trump and Joe Biden will meet for a final debate in Nashville Thursday night. Under a rule change , each candidate's mic will be muted for the first two minutes their rival speaks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.