Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Experts Have Scathing View
Betrayal of Anne Frank
Mar 23, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Experts Have Scathing View on
Betrayal of Anne Frank
As Dutch publisher recalls Rosemary Sullivan's book
- The Dutch publisher is recalling Rosemary Sullivan's
The Betrayal of Anne Frank
, a new and controversial release that claims Jewish notary Arnold van den Bergh told the Nazis where Anne and her family were hiding in Amsterdam. Though the researchers behind the book said van den Bergh emerged as...
Jan 31, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Publisher Apologizes for Anne Frank Revelation
Printing of book will stop while skepticism about findings is answered
: Publication of a book that received worldwide attention when it was released this month has been suspended, and the publisher has apologized for
The Betrayal of Anne Frank.
Historians and researchers had immediately questioned its main finding—that Arnold van den Bergh had turned in Anne Frank and her...
Groups Object to Kennedy's
'Anne Frank' Comment
Jan 24, 2022 5:39 PM CST
Groups Object to Kennedy's 'Anne Frank' Comment
Anti-vax leader was arguing COVID restrictions violate individual rights
- Anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. drew condemnation Monday for his suggestion that things are worse for people today than they were for Anne Frank, the teenager who died in a Nazi concentration camp after hiding with her family in an Amsterdam house for two years. Several Jewish advocacy and...
Researchers May Have
Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
A 6-year investigation suggests the culprit was a fellow Jew in Amsterdam: Arnold van den Bergh
- It's a question that has long vexed historians: Who gave up Anne Frank and her family to the Nazis? Now, a six-year investigation suggests the culprit has finally been identified. Researchers say the "most likely scenario" is that a man named Arnold van den Bergh, who was Jewish...
Swastikas Found at America's
Only Anne Frank Memorial
Dec 7, 2021 12:02 AM CST
Swastikas Found at America's Only Anne Frank Memorial
Tunnels in park near Idaho memorial defaced
A park near the United States' only Anne Frank memorial was defaced, less than a year after the memorial itself was vandalized. Anti-Semitic graffiti was discovered in tunnels near the Boise memorial Dec. 4, the last Saturday of Hanukkah, and was quickly removed, NBC News reports. Swastikas and other...
Diary of 'Polish
Anne Frank' Emerges
After 70 Years in Vault
Sep 13, 2019 1:56 PM CDT
Diary of 'Polish Anne Frank' Emerges After 70 Years in Vault
Heartbreaking journal from Jewish teen Renia Spiegel will be published on Sept. 24
- When Renia Spiegel was 15, she started keeping a diary. Now, 70 years later, the journal from the girl some call the "Polish Anne Frank" is set to be published. Per NBC News ,
Renia's Diary: a Holocaust Journal
will be out Sept. 24 after decades stashed in a...
Blowup at Harvard
Image of Anne Frank
May 15, 2019 11:23 AM CDT
Blowup at Harvard Over Sexualized Image of Anne Frank
Magazine apologizes after posting her face on bikini-clad body
is apologizing after pasting Anne Frank's head on the body of a bikini-clad woman. "Add this to your list of reasons the Holocaust sucked," read the caption below the image, reports NBC News . The headline: "Gone Before Her Time: Virtual Aging Technology Shows...
Students in Nazi Photo to Meet
With Anne Frank's Stepsister
Mar 7, 2019 2:32 PM CST
Students in Nazi Photo to Meet With Anne Frank's Stepsister
Eva Schloss will speak privately with California high schoolers
- A group of California high school students drew widespread scorn this week when a party photo emerged showing them giving the Nazi salute over cups arranged in a swastika pattern. Some of the students already have apologized, notes the
Los Angeles Times
, and on Thursday they'll get another chance...
Tried to Flee
to United States
Jul 6, 2018 10:23 AM CDT
Historians: Anne Frank's Family Tried to Flee to United States
'Their efforts were thwarted by American bureaucracy, war, and time'
- Research suggests the family of Anne Frank attempted to immigrate to the United States and later also to Cuba, but their efforts were thwarted by America's restrictive immigration policy and the outbreak of World War II. The Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum said...
Anne Frank House Museum
Now Offers Virtual Reality Tour
Jun 12, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
Anne Frank House Museum Now Offers Virtual Reality Tour
VR experience is available for Oculus devices, Samsung Gear
- The Amsterdam museum dedicated to Anne Frank's life launched a virtual reality tour of the cramped quarters where the Jewish diarist and her family hid from Nazis during World War II, marking what would have been her 89th birthday Tuesday. The Anne Frank House said the 25-minute tour means...
Woman Who Comforted
Dying Anne Frank Dies at 95
Jun 10, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Woman Who Comforted Dying Anne Frank Dies at 95
Gena Turgel survived multiple concentration camps, told her story for decades
- Gena Turgel, a Holocaust survivor who comforted Anne Frank at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp before the young diarist's death and the camp's liberation a month later, has died. She was 95. Turgel died Thursday, Britain's chief rabbi said. The Polish native touched many in the decades as...
Dirty Jokes in
Anne Frank's Diary
May 15, 2018 1:57 PM CDT
Researchers Discover Dirty Jokes in Anne Frank's Diary
They were written on the only 2 pages that were covered up
- Only two pages of Anne Frank's diary remain unread—or, remained. The Anne Frank House on Tuesday revealed that it had managed to read the pages, which a then 13-year-old Anne wrote on Sept. 28, 1942, and subsequently covered over with brown masking paper, keeping the pages' contents...
How a Holocaust Pendant
Reunited a Family
Nov 13, 2017 9:35 AM CST
How a Holocaust Pendant Reunited a Family
The good-luck charm belonged to Karoline Cohn, 14, who perished at Sobibor
- Chaim Motzen was intrigued when he read about a pendant excavated at a Nazi death camp with a possible link to Anne Frank. Engraved with "mazel tov"—"good luck" in Hebrew—the little charm belonged to Karoline Cohn, a 14-year-old Jewish girl killed at Sobibor. Motzen, an...
German Plan to Name Train
After Anne Frank Condemned
Oct 30, 2017 1:20 PM CDT
German Plan to Name Train After Anne Frank Condemned
Some displeased with the association
- What could be as tasteless as an Anne Frank Halloween costume ? An Anne Frank train, say some in Germany. The state-owned Deutsche Bahn rail company is rolling out a new line of high-speed trains, and it came up with the seemingly innocuous plan of naming them after 25 historical...
Oct 16, 2017 1:36 PM CDT
Anne Frank Halloween Get-Up Doesn't Please Internet
Rep for HalloweenCostumes.com apologizes, says costume has been pulled from retailer's site
- An online retailer has pulled a costume from its website that depicted Holocaust victim Anne Frank. Screenshots of the costume for sale at HalloweenCostumes.com posted to social media show a smiling girl wearing World War II-era clothing and a beret, the AP reports. The costume was quickly criticized on...
Former FBI Agent
Oct 3, 2017 3:43 AM CDT
Former FBI Agent Investigating Cold Case: Anne Frank
He wants to find out how her family was discovered
- How was Anne Frank's hiding place during the Holocaust discovered, leading to her death in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp at age 15? It's a mystery that still has no answer, despite years of investigation by her father Otto (the only member of the family to survive the Holocaust)...
She Discovered Anne Frank
Diary in Pile of Rejected Books
Aug 2, 2017 11:49 AM CDT
She Discovered Anne Frank Diary in Pile of Rejected Books
Judith Jones was a consummate literary editor
- You may not know her name, but you know plenty of names because of her. Judith Jones, a consummate literary editor who helped revolutionize American cuisine by publishing Julia Child, has died at age 93. Jones, who spent more than 50 years at Alfred A. Knopf before retiring in 2011,...
In Nazi Death Camp, a
Mysterious Link to Anne Frank
Jan 15, 2017 9:05 AM CST
In Nazi Death Camp, a Mysterious Link to Anne Frank
Pendant identical to hers found at Sobibor, believed to belong to girl the same age
- Researchers excavating the remains of one of the most notorious Nazi death camps have uncovered a pendant that appears identical to one belonging to Anne Frank, Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial said Sunday. Yad Vashem says it has ascertained the pendant belonged to Karoline Cohn—a Jewish girl who...
Anne Frank May Not
Have Been Betrayed
Dec 17, 2016 9:46 AM CST
Anne Frank May Not Have Been Betrayed
She may have been caught by chance, new study says
- The answer to the question "Who betrayed Anne Frank" may be "Nobody," according to new research. A study released by the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam says that the hiding place of the Jewish teenager and her family may instead have been found by chance when...
Winning Bid for
Anne Frank Poem
Nov 24, 2016 7:56 AM CST
Winning Bid for Anne Frank Poem Stuns Auctioneers
$148K selling price was 3 times the estimate
- The Netherlands' Bubb Kuyper auction house expected the eight-line poem on a piece of old paper to sell for thousands. They just didn't expect to go for $148,000. For that price, an anonymous bidder has become the owner of a poem signed by Anne Frank on March 28,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.