Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Admirer's Lead
Disappears on Election Day
Oct 23, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Trump Admirer's Lead Disappears on Election Day
Sergio Massa defeats Javier Milei, setting up a runoff next month
- The far-right populist and Donald Trump admirer who had been leading in the polls was denied a first-round victory in Argentina's presidential election on Sunday and is headed for a runoff. Economy Minister Sergio Massa, a centrist, defeated Javier Milei , 36.6% to 29.9%, the
May 28, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Erdogan Claims Victory
President thanks Turkey for five more years
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared victory Sunday in Turkey's runoff election , extending his increasingly authoritarian rule into a third decade. With nearly 99% of ballot boxes opened, unofficial results from competing news agencies showed Erdogan with 52% of the vote, compared with 48% for his challenger, Kemal Kilicdaroglu. In...
Raphael Warnock Wins
Georgia Runoff Election
Dec 6, 2022 10:31 PM CST
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Democratic senator beats Herschel Walker
- Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker in a Georgia runoff election Tuesday, ensuring Democrats an outright majority in the Senate for the rest of President Biden’s term and helping cap an underwhelming midterm cycle for the GOP in the last major vote of the year, the...
Here's How Things
Look Ahead of
Dec 6, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Democrats are cautiously optimistic
- 'Twas the night before Georgia's runoff election, and all through the state, things were looking fairly decent for Raphael Warnock. The Democratic senator, who is on the ballot for the fifth time in about two years—this time, competing against Herschel Walker for a full six-year term in...
Trump Steering Clear
of Georgia Runoff
Nov 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Trump Steering Clear of Georgia Runoff
Former president doesn't plan a rally for Herschel Walker, which could backfire
- As the Senate runoff in Georgia heads into crunch time, one big name won't be playing a public role. Politico and the
New York Times
report that Donald Trump has no plans to stage one of his signature rallies for Herschel Walker. Trump is still a strong supporter of...
Judge Makes Big Ruling
on Early Voting in Georgia
Nov 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Judge Makes Big Ruling on Early Voting in Georgia
Voters can now head to polls on Saturday, Nov. 26, for Senate runoff race between Warnock, Walker
- The Georgia Senate race between Democrat Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker is headed for a Dec. 6 runoff , and thanks to a Fulton County judge's decision this week, locals can add one more day to the calendar in which they'll be able to cast their in-person ballot....
Walker Faces Tough Odds as
Money Pours Into Georgia Race
Nov 14, 2022 3:54 PM CST
Walker Faces Tough Odds as Money Pours Into Georgia Race
Stakes are lower, but both parties are still taking race very seriously
- Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker of Georgia is definitely the underdog heading into a runoff against Sen. Raphael Warnock, at least according to GOP operatives who spoke to the Hill . Walker finished 48,000 votes behind Warnock in the general election, in stark contrast to fellow Republican Gov. Brian Kemp,...
Wraps Up Lula,
Oct 29, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Tense Debate Wraps Up Lula, Bolsonaro Race
Brazil chooses Sunday between a current and former president
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva made their final appeals for support ahead of Sunday's presidential runoff vote following an acrimonious face-to-face debate. The right-wing Bolsonaro took part in a motorcycle rally Saturday in Belo Horizonte, capital of a state that generally...
Widow of Congressman
Makes Runoff Election
May 2, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Widow of Congressman Makes Runoff Election
Susan Wright will face a fellow Republican in Texas; Ron Wright died after COVID diagnosis
- A runoff for a US House seat in Texas is set between Republican Susan Wright, whose husband Ron was the first member of Congress to die after being diagnosed with COVID-19, and Republican Jake Ellzey. Democrat Jana Lynne Sanchez was narrowly locked out of the runoff in Texas' 6th Congressional...
Warnock Wins in
Georgia Senate Runoff
Jan 6, 2021 1:51 AM CST
Warnock Wins in Georgia Senate Runoff
As Trump and his allies fume over what they say is more fraud
- The AP and other outlets have called one of two Senate runoff races in Georgia: Democrat Raphael Warnock beat incumbent Kelly Loeffler, becoming the first Black senator Georgia has ever elected. Democrats must also win the other race, which remains too close to call at the time of this posting,...
As Georgia Votes,
Both Races Look
Jan 5, 2021 12:34 PM CST
As Georgia Votes, Both Races Look Like Toss-Ups
Republicans count on big turnout in Senate runoffs
- Republicans will probably need a large Election Day turnout to win the Senate runoffs in Georgia, according to the University of Virginia's Center for Politics . The site still considers both races toss-ups. Election Day turnout over 4 million would bode well for Republicans, allowing them to erase any deficit...
Trump Calls Georgia Races
'Invalid' Amid Record Voting
Jan 2, 2021 6:40 AM CST
Trump Calls Georgia Races 'Invalid' Amid Record Voting
President says state's runoff elections are 'illegal'
- Nearly 40% of all Georgia's registered voters have already cast their ballots in the US Senate runoff race. More than 3 million early votes were cast, a record in the state, Reuters reports. Early voting ended Thursday, but the votes will not be tallied until Election Day Tuesday. Per...
Quarter of Georgia Voters
Already Have Cast Ballots
Dec 25, 2020 9:52 AM CST
Quarter of Georgia Voters Already Have Cast Ballots
USPS will treat the ballots as express mail
- The US Postal Service has agreed to take aggressive measures to make sure mail ballots get counted in Georgia's runoff elections. In a deal struck with civil rights groups, the USPS said it would treat any ballots that remain in processing centers within three days of the Jan. 5...
Man Attacked While
Campaigning for Democrats
Dec 13, 2020 4:26 PM CST
Man Attacked While Campaigning for Democrats
'The supporter suffered wounds to his face and head'
- Another rally, another act of violence. On Saturday—the same day four stabbings were reported at a pro-Trump rally in Washington, DC—a man carrying campaign signs for Democratic candidates in Georgia was bloodied by a passerby, per the
. Police say the victim was carrying signs for US...
Trump Rants About Election
at Rally for Georgia Senators
Dec 6, 2020 2:35 PM CST
Trump Rants About Election at Rally for Georgia Senators
Trump claims election fraud but tells Georgia voters to hit the polls on Jan. 5
- Weeks after losing the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden, President Trump told a crowd in Georgia that "We will still win it," CNN reports. Ostensibly appearing at the Valdosta rally to boost two GOP senators in runoff elections, Trump delivered what CBS News called a "rambling,...
Polls Show Georgia
Races Are Tight
Dec 3, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Polls Show Georgia Races Are Tight
Control of the Senate hinges on 2 runoff elections next month
- With about a month to go before Georgia's crucial runoff races for the Senate, a new poll suggests tight finishes loom in both contests. In a SurveyUSA poll commissioned for 11Alive , Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff (50%) is essentially deadlocked with GOP incumbent Sen. David Perdue (48%), while in the...
Georgia Republicans Worried
About Trump's Message
Dec 1, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Georgia Republicans Worried About Trump's Message
They fear his claims of election fraud will depress GOP turnout in Senate runoffs
- President Trump's insistence that the election was rigged appears to be having an unintended effect in Georgia: Republicans are voicing concerns that his angry supporters won't turn out to vote in next month's two runoff races for the Senate because they see it as futile. Coverage:
'Center of the
Nov 11, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Georgia Is Temporarily the 'Center of the Political Universe'
Control of the US Senate will come down to the Peach State
- "For the next eight weeks, Georgia will be the center of the political universe." So writes FiveThirtyEight in explaining that control of the Senate will come down to the fewer than 5 million voters who live in Georgia. With the North Carolina Senate race decided in GOP Sen....
Got the Money
to Win Races
Nov 9, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Abrams: We've Got the Money to Win Races in Georgia
Fate of the Senate may come down to state's 2 runoff elections in January
- Stacey Abrams has been winning widespread praise among Democrats after the race in Georgia was called in Joe Biden's favor, even if victory won't be certain until a recount takes place . Now the former gubernatorial candidate is in the spotlight again as she leads Democratic fundraising efforts for...
Trump Has One
More Insult for
Mar 11, 2020 5:33 AM CDT
Trump Has One More Insult for Jeff Sessions
President endorses Tommy Tuberville, Sessions' Alabama opponent for US Senate seat
- President Trump has said one of his biggest mistakes was appointing Jeff Sessions as his attorney general, but the latter seemed determined to get back into the commander in chief's good graces, recently declaring himself Trump's "strongest advocate" as he gets ready to make a new run...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.