Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Government Agents Killed
200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Mar 25, 2022 6:47 AM CDT
Government Agents Killed 200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Critic slams USDA's Wildlife Services as 'taxpayer-funded wildlife slaughter'
- A government agency killed more than 1.75 million animals across the country in 2021, in what it claims were necessary actions. New data shows the Wildlife Services branch of the US Department of Agriculture, which acts to "resolve wildlife conflicts to allow people and wildlife to coexist,"...
Cops Care for Budgie
Found After Massive Storm
Feb 23, 2022 3:28 PM CST
Cops Care for Budgie Found After Massive Storm
Barry seems 'suited to a life in blue,' they quip
- If you need a little sunshine on your Wednesday, police in the UK are able to deliver it. The BBC reports that Transport Police in Essex are caring for a budgie that maybe have escaped from home during the gnarly storms that recently hit the country. On Monday they tweeted...
This Bird Has
Seen in the US
Feb 19, 2022 9:15 AM CST
This Bird Has Never Been Seen in the US Before—Until Now
Bat falcon spotted in Texas usually breeds in Mexico, Central and South America
- A bird that has never been seen in the US before has made its way to the Lone Star State, per the US Fish & Wildlife Service, and there's pictorial proof. Peter Witt tells KSAT that when he and his wife visited the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge last...
'Startled' Flock of Birds
Slams Into the Ground
Feb 16, 2022 12:16 PM CST
'Startled' Flock of Birds Slams Into the Ground
Mexico incident left dozens of dead birds in street
- Hundreds of blackbirds suddenly plunge from the sky and slam into buildings or the ground in a grim video captured by a security camera in Mexico. Most of the flock of yellow-headed blackbirds flew off afterwards, but dozens remained on the ground, dead or injured, CBS reports. Experts believe the...
Dec 28, 2021 12:58 PM CST
Israel Suffers Its Deadliest Wildlife Disaster
At least 5K cranes dead in bird flu outbreak
- A bird flu outbreak in northern Israel has killed at least 5,200 migratory cranes and forced farmers to slaughter hundreds of thousands of chickens as authorities try to contain what they say is the deadliest wildlife disaster in the nation's history. Uri Naveh, a senior scientist at the...
Chasing Taylor Swift
on the Charts: These Birds
Dec 17, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Chasing Taylor Swift on the Charts: These Birds
Album featuring songs of endangered birds debuts at No. 5 on Australian sales chart
- An album sung by birds has surpassed offerings from ABBA and The Weeknd in becoming the first album of its kind to debut in the top five on Australia's music charts.
Songs of Disappearance
from BirdLife Australia, the nation's largest bird conservation organization, includes the birdsongs of 53...
He Knows Birds Are Real.
His Movement Says They Aren't
Dec 10, 2021 7:09 AM CST
He Knows Birds Are Real. His Movement Says They Aren't
Birds Aren't Real founder Peter McIndoe on the 'safe space' he's created for Gen Z
- Have you ever seen a baby pigeon? No? It's probably because birds aren't real but rather government drones used to spy on you and steal your information. That's according to the Birds Aren't Real movement, and a movement it is: hundreds of thousands of young people...
Surprise: Winner of Bird
Contest Isn't Actually a Bird
Nov 2, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Surprise: Winner of Bird Contest Isn't Actually a Bird
A bat sneaks in and takes top honors in New Zealand
- Did somebody miss a meeting? Maybe a day or two of biology class? Somehow the winner of New Zealand’s Bird of the Year contest isn’t even a bird, reports the
New York Times
. The winning critter has wings, for sure, but bats don’t lay eggs and they...
For 23 Endangered Species,
All Hope Is Now Gone
Sep 29, 2021 6:56 AM CDT
For 23 Endangered Species, All Hope Is Now Gone
Ivory-billed woodpecker, nearly 2 dozen other species have been declared extinct by US
- Wednesday is set to be a sad day for nearly two dozen endangered species, with all hope gone that we'll ever see them again. Federal wildlife authorities are expected to announce that the ivory-billed woodpecker, Bachman's warbler, and 20 other animals, as well as one plant, are now...
Sep 26, 2021 3:54 PM CDT
Quiet Cities Filled With Birdsong
Some species spread their wings during COVID lockdowns
- When human activity receded in crowded areas during the pandemic lockdowns, some animals got a little bolder. And when the human-caused noise pollution in cities quieted down, birdsong filled in, a new study shows. The “anthropause,” the fancy new word for the dip in traffic and noise, left...
Good News on
Mysterious Illness That
Killed Thousands of Birds
Aug 23, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Good News on Mysterious Illness That Killed Thousands of Birds
Deaths are subsiding enough that bird feeders, baths can be put back out
- The mysterious illness that killed dozens of birds a day in some areas, causing their eyes to swell up and crust over and leading officials to ask residents to take down bird feeders and bird baths for fear they were helping the sickness to spread, appears to be over as...
A Bird Swoops
and a Baby Dies
Aug 10, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
A Bird Swoops and a Baby Dies
Magpie removed from Brisbane park after causing 5-month-old's fatal fall
- The lord mayor of Brisbane, Australia, says the city has been "shocked to its absolute core" by the death of a 5-month-old girl, triggered by a bird attack. The mother was cradling the infant in her arms at a park on Sunday when a magpie—a protected bird known...
Cockatoos Hold Classes In
Stealing From Trash Cans
Jul 24, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Cockatoos Hold Classes In Stealing From Trash Cans
Researchers in Australia observed birds giving lessons in dumpster diving
- A few years ago, a Sydney scientist noticed a sulfur-crested cockatoo opening his trash bin. Not every resident would be thrilled, but ornithologist Richard Major was impressed by the ingenuity. It’s quite a feat for a bird to grasp a bin lid with its beak, pry it open, then...
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are
Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Jun 24, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Wildlife officials are trying to figure out what's afflicting hundreds of birds across US
- At the end of May, wildlife managers in the District of Columbia and multiple mid-Atlantic states started fielding reports about hundreds of sick and dying birds, afflicted with eye and nerve issues that couldn't be explained. Now, the mystery illness has spread to the South and Midwest, and scientists...
Philly Turns Off Its Lights to
Save Birds From Violent Death
May 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Philly Turns Off Its Lights to Save Birds From Violent Death
Migrating birds disoriented by bright lights have been smashing into city's buildings
- It's migration time for North America's birds, with many already journeying north for their summer stay, and one US city has taken a seemingly unusual step to light our feathered friends' way: It's turning off its lights. About 20 buildings in Philadelphia are taking part in "...
for World's 'Most
May 2, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
'Poetic Justice' for World's 'Most Unfortunate-Looking Bird'
Tawny frogmouth now deemed 'most Instagrammable bird,' thanks to its photogenic front-facing eyes
- "What makes a great bird photo?" That was the main question of new research that sought the most photogenic bird in the world, and the top-ranking feathered friend isn't what anyone expected, notes the Hill . Per a study published April 22 in the
journal , the planet's...
Very Good News
for America's Symbol
Mar 25, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Very Good News for America's Symbol
Interior Secretary Deb Haaland touts the 'importance of the Endangered Species Act'
- The number of American bald eagles has quadrupled since 2009, with more than 300,000 birds soaring over the lower 48 states, government scientists said in a report Wednesday, according to the AP . The US Fish and Wildlife Service said bald eagles, the national symbol that once teetered on the...
Oldest Known Wild Bird
Offers Reason to Celebrate
Mar 5, 2021 11:32 AM CST
Oldest Known Wild Bird Offers Reason to Celebrate
Wisdom the albatross welcomes a chick at 70
- She's a mom again at 70. Wisdom the Laysan albatross, considered the oldest known wild bird , has welcomed a new chick at the Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge in the Pacific Ocean near Hawaii, where more than a million albatross nest each year, per the
. The chick that...
One of These
in 170 Years
Mar 2, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Nobody Had Seen One of These in 170 Years
Black-browed babbler was feared to be extinct
- It's not extinct, just very elusive. That's the takeaway from the discovery of a bird in Indonesia that has ornithologists downright emotional. The bird is the black-browed babbler, which hadn't been seen since the 1840s, reports Mongabay . Two men caught one in a Borneo rainforest and sent...
'Guerrillas' Try to Sway
Election, Bird Blows It for Them
Feb 9, 2021 8:11 AM CST
'Guerrillas' Try to Sway Election, Bird Blows It for Them
Attempt to influence Ecuador polls with fake 'guerrilla' vid fails after bird guide hears bird call
- Nothing gets past an eagle-eyed, carefully listening ornithologist—not even a propaganda video meant to sway an election. Manuel Sanchez, a bird-watching guide based in Ecuador, was watching just such a video shared on social media, supposedly showing three armed left-wing men from Colombia's ELN guerrilla force deep in...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.