Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Costa Rica's New President
Declares State of Emergency
May 13, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Costa Rica's New President Declares State of Emergency
Country has been hit by ransomware attacks
- After a month of crippling ransomware attacks, Costa Rica has declared a state of emergency. In theory, the measure usually reserved to deal with natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic would free up the government to react more nimbly to the crisis. President Rodrigo Chaves, who was sworn in Sunday,...
May 10, 2022 1:26 AM CDT
Cyberattack Doomed 157-Year-Old College
Lincoln College shutting its doors due to ransomware attack, COVID pandemic
- For the first time in the US, a higher education institution is shuttering, in part, due to a ransomware attack. Lincoln College, an Illinois school that qualifies as a predominantly Black institution and which opened in 1865 as the namesake school of Abraham Lincoln, is closing Friday after also struggling...
Digital 'Swarm' Fights
Russian Sites Online
Mar 5, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Digital 'Swarm' Fights Russian Sites Online
One Ukrainian site lets mothers search photos for sons among captured Russian troops
- Formed in a fury to counter Russia's blitzkrieg attack, Ukraine's hundreds-strong volunteer "hacker" corps is more than a paramilitary cyberattack force in Europe's first major war of the internet age. It is crucial to information combat and to crowdsourcing intelligence. "We are really a swarm....
Shuts Down Toyota Production
Feb 28, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Suspected Cyberattack Shuts Down Toyota Production
Company suspends work at plants in Japan
- Toyota is suspending production at all 28 lines of its 14 plants in Japan starting Tuesday, because of a "system malfunction" that a domestic supplier suspects is a cyberattack. Kojima Industries Corp., based in Toyota city in central Japan, said Monday the problem could be a cyberattack, as an...
UN: Cyberattacks Fund
North Korean Missiles
Feb 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
UN: Cyberattacks Fund North Korean Missiles
Millions in cryptocurrency from exchanges go toward restricted systems
- A major source of funding for North Korea's government, especially its missile program, is theft, a UN report says. The investigation found that cyberattacks have netted millions in stolen cryptocurrency, the BBC reports, from at least three cryptocurrency exchanges in North America, Europe, and Asia. The findings have been...
Hackers to Ukraine:
'Be Afraid, Expect the Worst'
Jan 14, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Hackers to Ukraine: 'Be Afraid, Expect the Worst'
Authorities strongly suspect Russian involvement
- "Be afraid and expect the worst," cyberattackers warned in a massive hacking attack on Ukrainian government websites Friday. The warning message was left on the foreign ministry's website in Ukrainian, Russian, and Polish, the
New York Times
reports. "Ukrainians! All your personal data was uploaded to...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Oct 21, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Former Worker Admits Taking Rural Water System Down
Shared password enabled the remote attack on Kansas utility
- All Wyatt Travnichek had to do to remotely shut down a rural Kansas water system was know the shared pass code to get into the software that controls the plant. The Post Rock Rural Water District uses a shared GoToMyPC account to give employees remote access after hours, a prosecutor...
Ransomware Attack Takes
TV Stations Off the Air
Oct 18, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Ransomware Attack Takes TV Stations Off the Air
Sinclair Broadcasting battles cyberattack
- One of the largest operators of TV stations in the US is dealing with disruptions caused by a ransomware attack. Sinclair Broadcast Group announced Monday that it was hit over the weekend. The company said hackers stole data and encrypted some operational servers, NBC reports, knocking them out of service....
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
White House: Biden Called
Putin With a Warning
Jul 9, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
White House: Biden Called Putin With a Warning
President said US will take 'any necessary action' to stop Russian hackers
- President Biden called Vladimir Putin on Friday to deliver a warning about cyberattacks, reports Axios . Biden told Putin the US is poised to retaliate after another ransomware incident blamed on Russian hackers, according to a White House statement. “Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action...
Biden Says Putin Will Get
Message on Cyberattacks
Jul 7, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Biden Says Putin Will Get Message on Cyberattacks
Latest attacks will test his vow for consequences for Russia
- President Biden said Wednesday he would "deliver" a message to Russian President Vladimir Putin about the latest ransomware attacks targeting American businesses, setting up a test of Biden's ability to balance his pledge to respond firmly to cyber breaches with his goal of developing a stable relationship with...
Jul 3, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Ransomware Attack Spreads to Hundreds of Companies
US software supplier is hit first, with fallout reaching Sweden
- An unchecked ransomware attack on a US software company has spread rapidly to companies and organizations elsewhere, even closing hundreds of grocery stores in Sweden. Cybersecurity experts called it one of the biggest criminal ransomware attacks in history, NBC reports. Kaseya, which manages programs for companies that handle internet services...
JBS Made 'Very Difficult'
Decision After Cyberattack
Jun 10, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
JBS Made 'Very Difficult' Decision After Cyberattack
Meat processing company was the victim of a ransomware attack last month
- The world’s largest meat processing company says it paid the equivalent of $11 million to hackers who broke into its computer system late last month , the AP reports. Brazil-based JBS SA said on May 31 that it was the victim of a ransomware attack, but Wednesday was the first...
2nd-Biggest US Meat Producer
Recovering From Cyberattack
Jun 2, 2021 12:53 PM CDT
2nd-Biggest US Meat Producer Recovering From Cyberattack
JBS says it has made 'significant progress' in getting back online
- The world’s largest meat processing company is getting back online after production around the world was disrupted by a cyberattack just weeks after a similar incident shut down a US oil pipeline. Brazil’s JBS SA said late Tuesday that it had made "significant progress" in dealing with...
Another Cyberattack in the US:
'Why Would They Stop?'
Jun 1, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Another Cyberattack in the US: 'Why Would They Stop?'
JBS, the world's largest meat supplier, is hit in US and Australia
- First a gas pipeline was the target of a cyberattack. Now, the world's largest meat company. JBS Inc., which has more than 150 locations around the globe, announced it was the target of an "organized" attack against some of its servers, affecting IT systems in the US and...
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
May 20, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
Cyberattack is similar to the one against Colonial Pipeline, Tulsa says
- A cybersecurity attack on the city of Tulsa's computer system was similar to an attack on the Colonial Pipeline, officials said Thursday. The hacker is known, the AP reports. "I can't share anything other than we know who did it," Mayor G.T. Bynum said, adding...
Colonial Pipeline CEO
Confirms Ransom Was Paid
May 19, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline CEO Confirms Ransom Was Paid
'It was the right thing to do for the country'
- The CEO of Colonial Pipeline has confirmed that he made the "highly controversial decision" to pay ransom to hackers who breached the company's systems , causing major problems with the East Coast's gas supply. "I didn’t make it lightly. I will admit that I wasn’t...
Granholm: Gas Lines Should
Be Back to Normal Quickly
May 15, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Granholm: Gas Lines Should Be Back to Normal Quickly
Biden official urges drivers not to hoard though fuel pipeline is back in business
- US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm says the nation is "over the hump" on gas shortages following a ransomware cyberattack that forced a shutdown of the nation’s largest gasoline pipeline. Problems peaked Thursday night, and service should return to normal in most areas by the end of the weekend,...
We're Closing Down
May 14, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Pipeline Attackers: We're Closing Down
DarkSide says it lost access to its servers and money, though experts warn it could reappear
- The criminal enterprise that's responsible for the long gas lines in the southeastern US has logged off, saying it lost access to the infrastructure it needs to run its operation. "Servers were seized (country not named), money of advertisers and founders was transferred to an unknown account,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.