Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The Fed Hikes Rates Again, Just Not by as Much
Stories 1 - 20 |
NYE Attack on Police
May Have Been Motivated
by Islamic Extremism
Jan 2, 2023 2:39 PM CST
NYE Attack on Police May Have Been Motivated by Islamic Extremism
Trevor Bickford faces attempted murder charges over NYE attack
- A man accused of attacking police with a machete near New York’s Times Square on New Year’s Eve was arrested on charges of attempting to murder police officers, authorities said Monday as they continued to investigate whether he was motivated by Islamic extremism. Trevor Bickford, 19, also faces...
Three NYPD Officers Attacked
With Machete on NYE
Jan 1, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Three NYPD Officers Attacked With Machete on NYE
Two were hospitalized but expected to recover; suspect was shot and wounded
- A man wielding a machete attacked three police officers at the New Year’s Eve celebration in New York City, authorities said, striking two of them in the head before an officer shot the man in the shoulder. The attack happened a little after 10pm about eight blocks from Times...
Driver in Times Square
Carnage Was Mentally Ill: Jury
Jun 22, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
Driver in Times Square Carnage Was Mentally Ill: Jury
Decision sets up Richard Rojas for involuntary commitment
- A New York jury agreed with the defense on Wednesday that a man who drove through a Times Square crowd in 2017, hitting more than 20 people, was not responsible for his actions. After deliberating for about six hours, the jury cleared Richard Rojas—who was charged with murder, assault,...
Fight at Times Square
Arcade Leaves Man Dead
May 3, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Fight at Times Square Arcade Leaves Man Dead
The victim was said to be reaching for a prize on a shelf at Dave & Buster's
- A fight in the prize redemption area of a Dave & Buster's in Manhattan ended with one man dead and another arrested on a murder charge. The
New York Times
reports the Saturday night argument in the Times Square arcade allegedly started when Allen Stanford (whose name is also...
Mom Gets Times Square
Billboard: 'Date My Daughter'
Jan 5, 2022 2:10 PM CST
Mom Gets Times Square Billboard: 'Date My Daughter'
Founder of Wingman app says she wanted to help ailing Boston mother
- Boston mom Beth Davis is looking for a date for a daughter she describes as "easygoing"—so easygoing that she's OK with appearing on a "Date My Daughter" billboard in Times Square. Dating app Wingman arranged for the billboard, which has a link to the dating...
Live Message to
Bill de Blasio:
Jan 1, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Andy Cohen's Live Message to Bill de Blasio: 'Sayonara, Sucker!'
TV personality went on live NYE rant about outgoing NYC mayor during CNN broadcast
- Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper did tequila shots while toasting Betty White during their New Year's Eve broadcast on CNN, but the liquor may have gone a bit to Cohen's head. Minutes after the ball dropped in Times Square, ushering in 2022, Eric Adams was sworn in as...
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible
Event for the World to See'
Dec 31, 2021 12:00 PM CST
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible Event for the World to See'
Only 15K in-person spectators, masked and vaccinated, will be allowed at NYE in Times Square
- New York City readied on Friday to embrace the new year—and bid good riddance to another pandemic-marred 12 months—as it prepared to revive its annual New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square. It did so as an uneasy nation tried to muster optimism that the worst days...
NYC to Welcome Back
Vaccinated NYE Revelers
Nov 16, 2021 7:38 PM CST
NYC to Welcome Back Vaccinated NYE Revelers
It'll be 'further evidence to the world that we are 100% back,' mayor says
- Two years after an unsuspecting crowd in New York City welcomed 2020, the Times Square ball drop will return to something approaching normal—at least for the vaccinated. Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday that crowds will be welcomed back for a " big, strong, full strength" New Year's...
Nurse Dies After Being
Pushed to Ground in NYC
Oct 11, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Nurse Dies After Being Pushed to Ground in NYC
Philippine consulate calls for action after death of Maria Ambrocio
- New York City mayoral candidate Eric Adams is calling for changes to be made following the death of a 58-year-old nurse who was knocked to the ground in Times Square Friday. Maria Ambrocio, an oncology nurse in a community hospital in New Jersey, hit her head on the pavement after...
He Was Walking to a
Pro-Israel Rally. Then,
'4 Terrifying Minutes'
May 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
He Was Walking to a Pro-Israel Rally. Then, '4 Terrifying Minutes'
Jewish man beaten by mob in NYC's Times Square: 'I could have died'
- A Jewish man headed toward a pro-Israel rally over the current conflict in the Gaza Strip was beaten by a mob in New York City's Times Square earlier this week, with the relentless attack continuing for what the
New York Daily News
describes as "four terrifying minutes."...
New York, LA
as Hate Crimes
May 21, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
New York, LA Investigate Attacks as Hate Crimes
In both cases, assaults on Jewish victims happened during pro-Palestinian demonstrations
- The nation's two largest cities are investigating attacks on Jewish bystanders by pro-Palestinian demonstrators. The New York and Los Angeles police departments are looking into the assaults this week as possible hate crimes. In New York, a man was kicked and beaten by several people when pro-Palestinian marchers fought...
Suspect in Shooting of
3 Times Square Bystanders
Captured in Florida
May 12, 2021 2:14 PM CDT
Suspect in Shooting of 3 Times Square Bystanders Captured in Florida
Farrakhan Muhammed allegedly hit pedestrians after opening fire on brother
- A New York City man suspected of shooting three people in Times Square, including a 4-year-old girl, has been captured in Florida. Authorities say Farrakhan Muhammed, who was identified as a suspect Tuesday, was arrested near Jacksonville Wednesday by US Marshals and members of the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive...
4-Year-Old Girl Shot
in Times Square
May 9, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
4-Year-Old Girl Shot in Times Square
Two women were also shot
- A shooting in New York City's Times Square left three innocent bystanders wounded, including a 4-year-old girl. Per CNN , shots were heard before 5pm in the tourist hotspot, where witnesses told cops the incident began with a dispute between multiple men, at least one of whom pulled out a...
NYPD: Don't Try to Come
to Times Square This NYE
Dec 31, 2020 9:50 AM CST
NYPD: Don't Try to Come to Times Square This NYE
Only a few dozen spectators will be allowed at ball drop
- After fears earlier this year that this would be the first New Year's Eve without a Times Square ball drop since 1943, the New York City tradition is going ahead —but police are urging the public to stay away. The only onlookers permitted will be a few dozen...
Gloria Gaynor to Close Out
2020 With 'I Will Survive'
Dec 15, 2020 8:03 PM CST
Gloria Gaynor to Close Out 2020 With 'I Will Survive'
Singer will appear at Times Square event honoring essential workers
- The New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square will be a celebration of perseverance, honoring essential workers and featuring Gloria Gaynor singing her anthem, "I Will Survive," organizers said Tuesday. They had announced previously that the annual event will be virtual this year , with no public audience...
Ivanka, Jared Billboards
Trigger Lawsuit Threat
Oct 24, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Ivanka, Jared Billboards Trigger Lawsuit Threat
The power couple's lawyer writes stern letter to the Lincoln Project
- Seen the Ivanka and Jared billboards in Times Square? They're causing a bit of a stir, the
. One of the ads shows Ivanka Trump gesturing with a smile toward coronavirus death tallies of "33,366+ New Yorkers" and "221,247+ Americans." The other shows...
For First Time in a Century, No
NYE Crowd in Times Square
Sep 24, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
For First Time in a Century, No NYE Crowd in Times Square
Ball drop, other festivities in New York City are going virtual
- For the first time in more than 100 years, New York City's Times Square will be virtually empty on New Year's Eve—and going virtual. Via a statement to Fox News , organizers of the holiday event say that, with the exception of "an extremely limited group of...
After Loud Sound, a
'Sea of People Running' in NYC
Aug 7, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
After Loud Sound, a 'Sea of People Running' in NYC
People started screaming, thinking it was another shooting
- The mass shootings over the weekend in El Paso and Dayton have everyone on edge, and that anxiety played out Tuesday night in New York City after a loud sound sent people running. ABC News reports that thousands of locals and tourists in Times Square started screaming and fleeing in...
Pull off Dramatic
Times Square Stunt
Jun 24, 2019 12:40 AM CDT
Flying Wallendas Pull off Dramatic Times Square Stunt
They safely crossed on high wire
- Two siblings from the famed Flying Wallendas safely crossed Times Square on Sunday night on a high wire strung between two skyscrapers 25 stories above the pavement. Nik Wallenda is a seventh-generation acrobat, but this time, he was nervous, the AP reports. His sister, Lijana Wallenda, joined him for the...
Feds: We Foiled Attack
on Times Square
Jun 7, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Feds: We Foiled Attack on Times Square
Authorities say Ashiqul Alam bought weapons from undercover agent
- A New York City man plotted to use guns, grenades, and suicide vests to bring bloodshed to Times Square, federal prosecutors said Friday, per the AP . Ashiqul Alam was arrested Thursday after arranging through an undercover agent to buy a pair of pistols whose serial numbers had been obliterated, prosecutors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.