Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
10 'Coolest' Neighborhoods
in the World
Oct 16, 2022 9:09 AM CDT
10 'Coolest' Neighborhoods in the World
Time Out puts 2 spots in the US in top echelon
- It's a little subjective, but Time Out has come up with the "coolest neighborhoods" in the world to visit. Colonia Americana in Mexico tops the list, and two places in the US—the Ridgewood neighborhood of New York City and Barrio Logan in San Diego—crack the top...
This Is the Least-Visited
National Park in America
Feb 22, 2022 4:37 PM CST
This Is the Least-Visited National Park in America
Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve in Alaska is where you can head for some solitude
- Looking to avoid crowds while visiting a national park? A CNN travel story highlights the 15 least-visited parks in the nation, with Alaska's Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve topping the list. It logs only about 7,000 visits each year, largely because visitors must fly there,...
This Is the Safest
City for Travelers
Sep 17, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Safest City for Travelers
Copenhagen is No. 1 in new ranking by the 'Economist'
is out with its annual ranking of "safe cities" in which to travel, and the top spot is occupied by Copenhagen for the first time. Typically, an Asian city has been No. 1, notes CNN . Crime obviously factors into the rankings, but the Safe Cities Index 2021...
EU: Time to Close Doors
to US Travelers
Aug 30, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
EU: Time to Close Doors to US Travelers
European Union recommends member nations ban non-essential travel
- American tourists have been able to fly to Europe throughout the summer, but it will likely become more difficult to get those flights in the near future. The European Union on Monday recommended that its 27 member nations ban non-essential travel from the US, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Hawaii Is Just Not Up
for Visitors Right Now
Aug 24, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Hawaii Is Just Not Up for Visitors Right Now
Governor stops short of banning travel, but says 'it's not a good time'
- Summer is winding down. The weather is cooling. Students are getting ready to go back to school. Doesn’t it sound like a great time to squeeze in a little vacation, maybe a trip to Hawaii? Guess again. "It’s not a good time to travel to the islands,...
Woman in Tonga for Weekend
Ends Up Trapped For 18 Months
Aug 22, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Woman in Tonga for Weekend Ends Up Trapped For 18 Months
She's not that upset about it
- A British woman is telling her story of a weekend trip to the South Pacific that has now stretched on for some 18 months. It'll come as no surprise that COVID is to blame for what Zoe Stephens dubs "the longest weekend of my life," but the...
CDC's Thanksgiving Travel
Advice Is Pretty Simple
Nov 19, 2020 12:25 PM CST
CDC's Thanksgiving Travel Advice Is Pretty Simple
Just don't do it, says health agency in new advisory
- The CDC's new advice for Thanksgiving travelers can be summed up in two words: Stay home. The federal health agency "is recommending against travel during the Thanksgiving period," CDC coronavirus official Dr. Henry Walke said Thursday, per CNBC . He said the agency is alarmed by the "...
Staying 6 Feet Apart Is
No Way to Travel: Steves
in case you missed it
Jun 27, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Staying 6 Feet Apart Is No Way to Travel: Steves
Host is off the road for the first summer in 30 years
- For the first summer in 30 years, Rick Steves is home instead of savoring Europe. It's an adjustment. He doesn't know what's next for travel after the pandemic any more than the rest of us do, he told the
in an interview. But he knows...
Beware of This
Feb 8, 2020 3:00 PM CST
When Traveling, Beware of This
Experts warn against using public USB charging stations
- Travel much? You may already know not to fire up your devices on free USB public charging stations, but if not, here's the warning: "Depending on the vulnerability they exploit, they would have access to everything you would have access to on your phone," cybersecurity pro Jim...
Huge Airlift Planned
for 600K Travelers
Sep 22, 2019 4:50 PM CDT
Huge Airlift Planned for 600K Travelers
Debt-laden Thomas Cook is teetering on the edge
- More than 600,000 vacationers who booked through tour operator Thomas Cook were on edge Sunday, wondering if they will be able to get home, as one of the world's oldest and biggest travel companies teetered on the edge of collapse. The debt-laden company, which confirmed Friday it was...
US Woman Becomes
Youngest Person Ever
to Visit All 196 Countries
Jun 4, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
US Woman Becomes Youngest Person Ever to Visit All 196 Countries
Lexie Alford is in the process of confirming Guinness World Record
- Lexie Alford entered North Korea on Friday and achieved a "lifelong dream": visiting all 196 countries. And at just 21, she is slated to break the current Guinness World Record for youngest person to accomplish it; the current record-holder was 24 when he achieved the same feat. "...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
Massive Data Breach
Nov 30, 2018 7:26 AM CST
Marriott Reveals Massive Data Breach
Information on 500M Starwood customers is exposed
- Bad news for anyone who has stayed at a Starwood brand hotel, which includes big names like Westin and Sheraton, in the last few years: Hackers may have your data, including credit card information. Marriott said Friday that up to 500 million customers under its Starwood Hotel umbrella have been...
Is This the Safest Place in the
World? Residents Think So
Jun 27, 2018 5:03 PM CDT
Is This the Safest Place in the World? Residents Think So
The 2018 Global Law and Order Report asked people in 142 countries about local crime
- Listen up, safety-conscious globetrotters. A new Gallup survey has ranked world-wide destinations based solely on what locals have to say about their own sense of safety, reports CNN . Researchers asked 148,000 residents aged 15 or older in 142 countries the following safety-related questions: Do you have confidence in the...
After Fight With Mom, Kid
Gives Himself Bali Getaway
Apr 23, 2018 7:52 AM CDT
After Fight With Mom, Kid Gives Himself Bali Getaway
Australian 12-year-old steals credit card, flies to posh resort in Indonesia
- A 12-year-old Australian boy has pulled off a bold feat that is drawing international headlines: He stole his mom's credit card and managed to fly to Bali, Indonesia, for a posh, four-day vacation before getting caught, reports 9 News . As recounted in the Australian program
A Current Affair
'Coolest Places' Travel List
Includes a Southern US City
Dec 27, 2017 4:19 PM CST
'Coolest Places' Travel List Includes a Southern US City
'Forbes' list has mostly foreign locales, but also Asheville, North Carolina
called around to travel experts to get a sense of the "coolest places" to visit in 2018 and came away with far-flung locales such as Bolivia and Cambodia. But also making the list is a specific US location—Asheville, North Carolina. The city has a thriving arts...
New Passport Rankings
Have a Notable No. 1
Oct 26, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
New Passport Rankings Have a Notable No. 1
For first time, an Asian nation (Singapore) gets the honors
- A new ranking of the world's most powerful passports is out, and it contains a notable first, per
US News & World Report
. The Passport Index by financial advisory firm Arton Capital puts an Asian nation in the top spot for the first time. Singapore gets the honors, with...
Woman Finds Herself
Only Passenger on
Flight to Greece
Oct 26, 2017 2:00 AM CDT
Woman Finds Herself Only Passenger on Flight to Greece
- Karon Grieve had not just the seat next to her empty on her trip from Glasgow to the Greek island of Crete—and not even just
seats next to her. Every other seat on the Jet2 plane was empty, meaning there were 188 empty seats, the BBC reports. When...
10 Best Cities for
a Weekend Getaway
Oct 14, 2017 12:24 PM CDT
10 Best Cities for a Weekend Getaway
London or Vienna tops, depending on whether you're bringing the family
- Those in need of a mini-vacation might check out new rankings from travel app weekenGO , which looked at 1,000 cities to figure out which were best for a weekend getaway. Note that these are
getaways, with London at No. 1. The site crunched factors such as accommodations, traffic,...
They Were Once 'Cheap Seats'
of Colosseum. Now, Priceless
Oct 4, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
They Were Once 'Cheap Seats' of Colosseum. Now, Priceless
Newly restored top levels are now open to tourists
- Visitors to the Colosseum can now enjoy even more of the ancient amphitheater and the spectacular views it offers of Rome. Officials on Tuesday showed off the newly restored fourth and fifth levels of the Colosseum, which are opening to the public for guided tours starting Nov. 1. Included in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.