Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heard in New Mexico,
Cops Find a Tiger
Jan 12, 2023 6:35 PM CST
After Gunshots Heard in New Mexico, Cops Find a Tiger
Months-old cub kept in dog crate has been moved to a zoo
- Responding to a report of gunfire on Tuesday, police in Albuquerque, New Mexico, were hardly expecting to find an adorable but illegal tiger cub. Officers initially responded to a convenience store, where a person had been shot in the leg by a stray bullet around 2pm local time, CNN reports....
The Alligator Was Found.
The Tiger, Not So Much
Sep 11, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
The Alligator Was Found. The Tiger, Not So Much
New Mexico authorities put out an unusual animal alert
- An alligator, drugs, guns, and money were seized during a raid at two homes in Albuquerque last month, but New Mexico wildlife officials said Saturday they are still searching for a young tiger they believe is being illegally kept as a pet. Investigators think the tiger is with someone “...
Survey Has Surprisingly
Good News on Tigers
Jul 25, 2022 5:49 PM CDT
Survey Has Surprisingly Good News on Tigers
Estimated number in the wild is up 40% from 2015
- Wildlife groups are still very worried about the world's tigers, but the situation isn't quite as bleak as earlier thought, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature . The group says there are an estimated 3,726 to 5,578 wild tigers in the world, up 40%...
Die in Traps
Apr 26, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
3 Endangered Sumatran Tigers Die in Traps
They represent almost 1% of the estimated population
- Three endangered Sumatran tigers have been found dead, dealing a blow to a population thought to number around 400. Conservation officials discovered the bodies of a male and female tiger, whose legs were ensnared in a trap, in Aceh, at the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island, on Sunday....
of Killing 70 Tigers
Jun 1, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Poacher Accused of Killing 70 Tigers
Bangladesh man finally in custody after 20 years
- A poacher suspected of killing a significant proportion of his country's population of wild Bengal tigers is finally in custody, authorities in Bangladesh say. Habib Talukder, 50, is believed to have killed up to 70 endangered tigers over the last 20 years, the BBC reports. The pelts and other...
Tiger's 'Mess' of an Eye
Fixed in Notable Surgery
May 17, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Tiger's 'Mess' of an Eye Fixed in Notable Surgery
The corneal surgery is thought to have never been performed on a tiger before
- A veterinarian in England says performing corneal surgery on a 205-pound tiger is a lot like operating on a smaller cat—only with "a lot more anesthetic." Dr. David Williams, who rose up to the challenge after staff at a wildlife park noticed the 17-year-old Sumatran tiger's...
Houston's Weird Tiger Story
Gets Even Weirder
May 11, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Houston's Weird Tiger Story Gets Even Weirder
Man who fled with animal is a murder suspect; he's in custody, but tiger is still missing
- "The whereabouts of the tiger are not yet known." It's not your typical line in a big-city police department update , but it applies in Houston. The strange tiger tale began Sunday night, when residents of a city neighborhood spotted a loose tiger and called police. When officers...
Loose Tiger Roams
May 10, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
Loose Tiger Roams Houston Neighborhood
Its caretaker took off with animal before cops arrived
- Police in Houston are looking for a man who claimed to be "with the zoo" after a tiger apparently escaped from his residence and roamed the neighborhood. The tiger—which was wearing a collar—was confronted by an armed off-duty Waller County Sheriff's Office deputy who was nearby...
As Others Watched in Horror,
Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
Jul 6, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
As Others Watched in Horror, Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
55-year-old worker killed at Zurich Zoo in Switzerland
- A 5-year-old Siberian tiger attacked and killed a zookeeper Saturday at Switzerland's Zurich Zoo as other staff and guests looked on in horror. The BBC reports the attack on the 55-year-old keeper happened just after 1pm local time in the tiger enclosure, where Irina, the female tiger who went...
86 of 147 Tigers
Rescued From Temple
Sep 17, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
86 of 147 Tigers Rescued From Temple Have Died
Authorities say inbreeding made them vulnerable
- More than half the tigers rescued three years ago from a Buddhist temple in Thailand where they served as a popular tourist attraction have died of disease, wildlife officials said Monday. The tigers were vulnerable to illness because of inbreeding, leading to laryngeal paralysis causing respiratory failure, says national parks...
After Tiger Attack:
Apr 25, 2019 11:54 AM CDT
Sanctuary Founder After Tiger Attack: My Bad
Arizona's Jonathan Kraft has broken bones, but no ill will toward the animal
- "My fault." That's what the founder of an Arizona wildlife sanctuary had to say Wednesday after surviving an attack by a Bengal tiger. Staff at Valentine's Keepers of the Wild Nature Park were moving big cats so they could take shelter from a severe thunderstorm Monday...
Rare Tigers in UK
Again Kill One of Their Own
Feb 13, 2019 7:27 AM CST
Rare Tigers in UK Again Kill One of Their Own
Death of Shouri at Longleat Safari Park follows another tiger killed at London Zoo just days ago
- An English safari park says a rare Amur tiger has been killed in a fight with two other tigers. Longleat Safari Park said Wednesday that female tiger Shouri died in a fight Tuesday after she entered an enclosure where a pair of mating tigers was being kept, the AP reports....
Houston Seeks 'Forever Home'
for Tiger Found by Pot Smoker
Feb 12, 2019 8:16 AM CST
Houston Seeks 'Forever Home' for Tiger Found by Pot Smoker
Big cat was found in 'rinky-dink' cage in abandoned home
- All's well that ends well, though the outcome at an abandoned Texas home could've been a lot different. Per KTRK , authorities say someone busted into the Houston abode earlier this month so they could smoke some pot and found something rather unexpected: a large tiger in an unlocked...
Tiger That Terrorized
India Has Been Killed
Nov 5, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Tiger That Terrorized India Has Been Killed
T1, or Avni, was killed by famous hunter's son; animal rights advocates are livid
- The man-eating tiger that's been on the loose in India is no more. The
reports that T1 (aka Avni), suspected of killing more than a dozen victims in a two-year span, was shot dead Friday in the state of Maharashtra. The supposed sharpshooter who took T1 down: Asghar...
Rare White Tiger
Oct 9, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Rare White Tiger Kills Zookeeper
He was found in a cage, bleeding from the neck
- A rare attack from a rare tiger killed a zookeeper in Japan on Monday. Officials say 40-year-old Akira Furosho was found bleeding from the neck in a cage in the Hirakawa Zoological Park in the southern city of Kagoshima, the BBC reports. They believe he was attacked by Riku, one...
Tiger Escapes Circus,
Roams Streets of Paris
Nov 24, 2017 1:53 PM CST
Tiger Escapes Circus, Roams Streets of Paris
It was fatally shot by circus employees Friday night
- A tiger was killed Friday in Paris after escaping from a circus in the 15th arrondissement and wandering the streets near the Eiffel Tower, the BBC reports. Residents called emergency services to report the tiger just before 6pm. According to the
New York Daily News
, the tiger ended up on...
'There Is a Tiger
the Exit Ramp'
Sep 7, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
'There Is a Tiger Walking Down the Exit Ramp'
Escaped circus tiger had to be shot in Georgia
- "There is a tiger walking down the exit ramp onto the interstate," 911 operators in Georgia heard Wednesday, prompting a feverish response from police and plenty of speculation on how the animal got there. That mystery is now solved. A microchip implanted in the female Bengal tiger, shot...
Mom Killed Trying to Rescue Daughter From Tiger Attack
Jul 25, 2016 7:39 AM CDT
Mom Killed Trying to Rescue Daughter From Tiger Attack
They apparently thought they'd left the park, got out of car
- Siberian tigers killed a woman and seriously injured her daughter Saturday after the pair left their vehicle in a drive-thru wildlife park in China. Surveillance video from Badaling Wildlife World, located near a section of the Great Wall of China in Beijing, shows the younger woman exit the car's...
Tiger Kills Spanish Zookeeper
Jul 3, 2016 9:08 AM CDT
Tiger Kills Spanish Zookeeper
Woman may have left a gate open
- A 37-year-old female zookeeper at a so-called "immersion zoo" in Spain was killed by a tiger, reports the AFP . The attack wasn't witnessed, but her body was discovered about 5pm Saturday at Terra Natura animal park. "The tiger was still in the cage with the 37-year-old keeper,...
Zoo on Mauled
It's Her Fault
Apr 24, 2016 2:02 PM CDT
Zoo on Mauled Zookeeper: It's Her Fault
Stacey Konwiser seemingly broke the rules
- A zookeeper killed by a Malayan tiger at the Palm Beach Zoo met her end by entering an area she should have avoided, the zoo's top official says. Stacey Konwiser, 38, who was mauled on April 15, apparently broke zoo safety rules by going inside the cat's sleeping...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.