Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Massive Operation Clears Out
Prison Run by Inmates
Sep 21, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Massive Operation Clears Out Prison Run by Inmates
Venezuela's Tocoron prison had its own zoo, nightclub
- Venezuela's government has congratulated security forces on clearing out a "center of conspiracy and crime"—the notorious Tocoron prison. The BBC reports that 11,000 security personnel took part in the clearing of the prison, which had been run by inmates for years and functioned more as...
How Prison Escapee
Sep 13, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
How Prison Escapee Danelo Cavalcante Was Captured
Thermal heat technology, a US Border Patrol dog were key
- The hunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania came to a close on Wednesday morning, with Chester County authorities announcing his capture in a broadcast radio call made at 8:18am. "I'm proud to announce the subject is in custody. Repeating, subject is in custody," said...
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran
Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Arrangement advances to free 5 Iranian prisoners in US in exchange for 5 American prisoners in Iran
- Five American citizens detained in Iran are now set to be released, after the Biden administration agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States. Per the AP , the next step in the deal also included the US issuing a waiver to banks around the world to allow...
Murdaugh Lost a Lot of
Prison Privileges This Week
Aug 31, 2023 8:36 AM CDT
Murdaugh Lost a Lot of Prison Privileges This Week
Inmate can't use phone, tablet, or prison canteen after participating in Fox docuseries
- Imprisoned double murderer Alex Murdaugh just lost his cell phone, tablet, and canteen privileges for breaking prison rules to participate in a Fox Nation docuseries. Murdaugh—a former high-profile lawyer who was sentenced to life in prison without parole in the June 2021 killings of his wife, Margaret, and their...
Cops: We Found Escaped
Inmate's Survival Cache
Jul 14, 2023 11:29 AM CDT
Cops: We Found Escaped Inmate's Survival Cache
Murder suspect and survivalist Michael Burham thought to still be in woods near Warren, Pa.
- Authorities believe they've found a hidden stash of supplies used by Michael Burham, a murder, kidnapping, burglary, and arson suspect who escaped from a Pennsylvania jail a week ago. A bag containing food, clothes, and "other materials that someone might need if they were trying to exist in...
'Please Call 911
Immediately If He Is Spotted'
Jul 8, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'Please Call 911 Immediately If He Is Spotted'
Authorities say 'dangerous' homicide suspect Michael Burham broke out of Pennsylvania prison
- Authorities were searching Saturday for an inmate described by police as "very dangerous" who escaped from a jail in northwestern Pennsylvania using bedsheets, officials said. Michael Burham was last seen wearing a blue denim coat from the Warren County Prison, white and orange pants, and orange shoes, Warren police...
Report: Ghislaine Maxwell
Is the 'Prison Karen'
Jun 29, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Report: Ghislaine Maxwell Is the 'Prison Karen'
She's said to have made more than 400 complaints while behind bars
- In the appeal of her conviction for helping Jeffrey Epstein traffic and sexually abuse underage girls, Ghislaine Maxwell complained of "inhumane" conditions inside the low-security prison in which she's serving a 20-year sentence. Now, a source is revealing more about what she finds so cruel, including standard-issue pillows...
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up
Her Act—With Eye on Parole
May 23, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up Her Act—With Eye on Parole
Susan Smith, who drowned 2 sons in 1994, will face a parole board in November 2024
- Susan Smith was in her early 20s when she told police that a Black man had stolen her car, with her two young sons inside. Actually, she'd let her car roll into a lake, drowning the boys still strapped in their car seats. She was sentenced to life in...
This Is Among Worst Cases of
Jail Abuse in US History: Suit
Feb 16, 2023 11:42 AM CST
This Is Among Worst Cases of Jail Abuse in US History: Suit
Family alleges Alabama man 'froze to death' while restrained in jail's walk-in freezer
- The family of an Alabama man who died in police custody alleges he "froze to death" after he was restrained for hours in a jail's walk-in freezer. Anthony Mitchell, 33, was held at the Walker County Jail for 14 days before he was taken to a hospital on...
State Lawmakers Propose
Cutting Sentences If
Inmates Donate Organs
Feb 6, 2023 7:25 PM CST
State Lawmakers Propose Cutting Sentences If Inmates Donate Organs
Critics call Massachusetts bill an ethical disaster
- With more than 100,000 Americans on waiting lists for transplant organs and more than 2 million inmates in American prisons, an unusual proposal in Massachusetts might be closely watched by other states. Democratic state lawmakers have introduced a bill that would give inmates time off their sentences for donating...
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant
Inmates Into Early Labor
Jan 5, 2023 9:15 AM CST
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant Inmates Into Early Labor
3 prisoners at Arizona's Perryville facility claim that forced inductions are prison policy
- Three female inmates have lobbed an eyebrow-raising accusation against the Arizona prison where they're incarcerated. The three women say that when they were pregnant at the Perryville facility outside of Phoenix, they had labor induced against their will, and medical records seen by the
confirm that all...
for Experiments on Prisoners
Dec 24, 2022 5:30 AM CST
University Apologizes for Experiments on Prisoners
UCSF conducted the dermatology experiments in the 1960s and '70s
- A prominent California medical school has apologized for conducting dozens of unethical medical experiments on at least 2,600 incarcerated men in the 1960s and 1970s, including putting pesticides and herbicides on the men's skin and injecting it into their veins, per the AP . Two dermatologists at the University...
by Other Inmates
Dec 21, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Guard Brutally Attacked by Inmate Rescued by Other Inmates
2 stepped in when fellow prisoner attacked guard at South Carolina max-security site
- Two inmates at a maximum-security South Carolina prison are being lauded for helping a guard who was attacked by another inmate. The state's Department of Corrections is now detailing the Monday evening attack, which WCIV notes could've been a deadly one had the rescuing inmates not intervened. "...
Georgia Inmate Allegedly
Stole Millions From Billionaires
Oct 14, 2022 5:06 AM CDT
Georgia Inmate Allegedly Stole Millions From Billionaires
Arthur Cofield allegedly used contraband phone to impersonate movie mogul Sidney Kimmel
- A Georgia inmate serving time in a maximum security unit for armed robbery became a much more sophisticated criminal behind bars, using contraband phones to impersonate at least one billionaire and steal more than $10 million, authorities say. Federal agents believe 31-year-old Arthur Lee Cofield Jr. convinced customer service representatives...
NYC Inmate Dies After
Leap From Floating Jail
Sep 22, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
NYC Inmate Dies After Leap From Floating Jail
Gregory Acevedo, who had a previous escape conviction, fell 50 feet
- An inmate in New York City died Tuesday after jumping 50 feet from what is believed to be the country's only floating jail . Gregory Acevedo, 48, scaled a fence and crawled through razor wire before leaping from the rooftop recreation yard of the 625-foot jail barge known as the...
Don't Ignore the Suffering
in America's Prisons
Sep 11, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Ignore the Suffering in America's Prisons
Writing for 'Philly Inquirer,' Cheryl Smith slams 'soul-chilling inhumanity' toward incarcerated
- The Eighth and 14th Amendments are meant to prevent cruel and unusual punishment, as well as discrimination and unequal treatment—including for the incarcerated. But that's not what's being applied in America's prisons, Cheryl Smith writes for the
, where she lays out the "soul-chilling...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
Woman Who Kissed Inmate
Arrested After Overdose Death
Aug 17, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Woman Who Kissed Inmate Arrested After Overdose Death
Tennessee woman allegedly passed inmate drugs that killed him
- A Tennessee woman who allegedly gave an inmate a kiss of death during a visit to a state prison earlier this year has been charged with murder. The Tennessee Department of Correction says Rachal Dollard was seen passing drugs to inmate Joshua Brown as they kissed during a visitation at...
New York State Ditches
the Word 'Inmates'
Aug 12, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
New York State Ditches the Word 'Inmates'
State amends laws to replace term with 'incarcerated person'
- New York has amended several state laws to remove the word “inmate” and replace it with “incarcerated person” to refer to people serving prison time. The changes, signed into law this week by Gov. Kathy Hochul, are intended to reduce the stigma of being in jail, per the...
'They Were Able to Do
What No One Else Has Done'
Jun 22, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'They Were Able to Do What No One Else Has Done'
US Marshals Service releases new age-progressed images of Alcatraz escapees
- The US Marshals Service wins this week's prize for persistence. The law enforcement agency has a new APB out for a trio of notorious escaped inmates, even though it's now been more than six decades since they busted out and they'd all be well into their 90s....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.