Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Your Car's Biggest Source
of Pollution Isn't the Tailpipe
Jul 16, 2023 9:03 PM CDT
Your Car's Biggest Source of Pollution Isn't the Tailpipe
Studies point to tires and brakes as the bigger culprits
- Scientists researching the way vehicles spew potentially dangerous pollutants into the environment have reached some surprising conclusions about the culprits. The
reports your car's exhaust pipe isn't the only source of harmful particulates; brake and tire emissions are a problem too, and a growing one....
Zings Andrew Tate
Dec 28, 2022 4:48 PM CST
Greta Thunberg Zings Andrew Tate
She fires back after he boasts of 'enormous emissions'
- Andrew Tate's attempt to mock Greta Thunberg could be considered a backfire. The former kickboxing champion and current TikTok star tagged her in a tweet Tuesday boasting about the number of cars he owns—33—along with a photo of him refueling one of them. "Please provide your...
Vehicles Must Hit 40 MPG
by 2026 Under New Rules
Apr 1, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Vehicles Must Hit 40 MPG by 2026 Under New Rules
Rules reverse Trump's rollback, but some environmental groups wanted more
- New vehicles sold in the US will have to average at least 40 miles per gallon of gasoline in 2026, up from about 28mpg, under new federal rules unveiled Friday that undo a rollback of standards enacted under President Trump. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that its new...
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut
Some Emissions by 90%
Mar 7, 2022 7:20 PM CST
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut Some Emissions by 90%
Environmental groups urge moving quickly toward 100%
- The Biden administration is proposing stronger pollution regulations for new tractor-trailer rigs that would clean up smoky diesel engines and encourage new technologies over the next two decades. The proposal released Monday by the Environmental Protection Agency would require the industry to cut smog- and soot-forming nitrogen oxide emissions by...
EPA Says New Fuel-Economy
Rule Is a 'Giant Step Forward'
Dec 20, 2021 12:46 PM CST
EPA Says New Fuel-Economy Rule Is a 'Giant Step Forward'
Biden sets ambitious new standards
- In a major step to fight climate change, the Biden administration is raising vehicle mileage standards to significantly reduce emissions of planet-warming greenhouse gases. A final rule being issued Monday would raise mileage standards starting in the 2023 model year, reaching a projected industry-wide target of 40 miles per gallon...
the Leaf Blowers
Oct 25, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Put Down the Leaf Blowers
Consider leaving the leaves alone, Margaret Renkl writes
- A lot of crimes against nature are committed in the name of lawn care. Pesticides are involved. Other practices endanger insects, birds, and plants. But with its high levels of chemical emissions, deafening noise, and unhealthy pollution, Margaret Renkl writes in an opinion piece in the
New York Times
to Pull the Plug
on Gas Vehicles
Sep 24, 2020 3:43 AM CDT
California Plans to Pull the Plug on Gas Vehicles
Sales of new gas-powered cars to end by 2035
- California will ban the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger cars and trucks in 15 years, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday, establishing a timeline in the nation's most populous state that could force US automakers to shift their zero-emission efforts into overdrive. The plan won't stop people from owning...
Trump Officially Bars California
From Setting Fuel Standards
Sep 18, 2019 2:53 PM CDT
Trump Officially Bars California From Setting Fuel Standards
President says the move will result in cheaper, safer cars
- As expected , President Trump announced Wednesday that his administration is revoking California's authority to set auto mileage standards stricter than those issued by federal regulators, a move critics said would result in less fuel efficient cars that create more planet-warming pollution. In a series of tweets , Trump said...
EPA to Block California From
Setting Emissions Standards
Sep 17, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
EPA to Block California From Setting Emissions Standards
State has had tougher rules to fight air pollution for decades
- Since smog in Los Angeles became unbearable in the 1960s, California has set its own vehicle emissions standards—limits that were stricter than the federal government permitted elsewhere. The Trump administration now is moving to end that practice. The EPA will revoke that authority Wednesday, the
Looks Like VW Is
in Trouble Again
Jan 13, 2019 11:35 AM CST
Looks Like VW Is in Trouble Again
The carmaker may be helping vehicles avoid emissions standards
- Volkswagen may be in trouble all over again for allegedly installing software in cars to help them duck emissions standards, Reuters reports. German authorities are investigating whether 1.2-liter engine Volkswagens, including the Polo, received a software update allowing them to trick emissions tests. Germany may also file charges against...
Trump's Looming Fight
With California Has Arrived
Aug 2, 2018 11:39 AM CDT
Trump's Looming Fight With California Has Arrived
Administration revealed its proposal to roll back Obama rules on fuel standards
- News broke in late March that the EPA was preparing to announce plans to weaken landmark fuel-efficiency goals put in place by the Obama administration, and that day has come to pass. The Trump administration on Thursday formally released its proposal , a joint effort with the EPA and Transportation...
Add Audi CEO
to List of Busted
Jun 18, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Add Audi CEO to List of Busted VW Execs
German authorities detain Rupert Stadler in 'Dieselgate'
- German authorities on Monday detained the chief executive of Volkswagen's Audi division, Rupert Stadler, as part of the investigation into the manipulation of emissions controls. The move is an extension of the emissions scandal that has rocked Volkswagen since 2015 and led to billions in fines, the arrest of...
CEO Charged in
May 3, 2018 6:08 PM CDT
Former Volkswagen CEO Charged in 'Dieselgate'
Martin Winterkorn indicted, though chances are slim he'll return to US
- A federal grand jury in Detroit has indicted former Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn on charges stemming from the company's diesel emissions cheating scandal in a plot that prosecutors allege reached the top of the world's largest automaker. The four-count indictment unsealed Thursday charges Winterkorn, 70, with three counts...
17 States Sue Over
EPA Move on Gas Mileage
May 2, 2018 2:27 AM CDT
17 States Sue Over EPA Move on Gas Mileage
Agency plans to drop emissions standards
- California and 16 other states sued the Trump administration Tuesday over its plan to scrap Obama-era auto-emissions standards that would require vehicles to get significantly higher gas mileage by 2025. At issue is a move by Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt to roll back 2012 rules aimed at curbing...
US Sentences VW Exec
for Role in Emissions Scam
Dec 7, 2017 12:53 AM CST
US Sentences VW Exec for Role in Emissions Scam
Oliver Schmidt gets 7 years
- A judge has sentenced a Volkswagen senior manager to seven years in prison for covering up a scheme to evade pollution limits on US diesel vehicles, calling it an astonishing fraud on American consumers. Oliver Schmidt, who is the second person to be sent to prison over the scandal, was...
Why This Scene May Cease
to Exist in California After 2040
Sep 29, 2017 1:14 PM CDT
Why This Scene May Cease to Exist in California After 2040
Assemblyman wants to ban sales of cars fueled by gas, diesel by that deadline
- If Phil Ting has his way, California girls will soon be cruising down Highway One and never having to stop for gas. When the state Legislature returns at the start of 2018, the Dem assemblyman says he'll introduce a bill that would ban the sale of new cars fueled...
UK Unveils Big Move in
Quest for Cleaner Air
Jul 26, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
UK Unveils Big Move in Quest for Cleaner Air
It plans to ban new gas, diesel cars by 2040
- Just weeks after France unveiled a plan to ban sales of gas and diesel cars by 2040, its neighbor to the north is following suit. Britain's government on Wednesday unveiled a nearly $4 billion plan to improve air quality that would see sales of new gas and diesel cars...
Volkswagen Agrees to Pay
$1.2B to 75K More Owners
Feb 1, 2017 1:03 AM CST
Volkswagen Agrees to Pay $1.2B to 75K More Owners
Without a fix, that could rise to $4B
- Volkswagen has agreed to pay at least $1.2 billion in buybacks and compensation to settle claims from US owners of cars with larger diesel engines that the company rigged to cheat on emissions tests. And the company could pay even more—as much as $4 billion—if it can'...
Like VW, Fiat Chrysler Now
in Trouble for Emissions
Jan 12, 2017 11:03 AM CST
Like VW, Fiat Chrysler Now in Trouble for Emissions
EPA accuses automaker's software of cheating on emissions levels
- Less than 24 hours ago, Fiat Chrysler was anticipating hitting its 2018 financial targets. On Thursday, the automaker came under fire from the EPA, per Reuters , with the agency alleging Fiat Chrysler cheated on diesel emissions—just a day after six Volkswagen honchos were indicted in that company's own...
6 Volkswagen Employees
Indicted in Emissions Scandal
Jan 11, 2017 2:07 PM CST
6 Volkswagen Employees Indicted in Emissions Scandal
VW will pay $4.3B penalty
- Six high-level Volkswagen employees have been indicted by a grand jury in the company's diesel emissions cheating scandal, as the company admitted wrongdoing and agreed to pay a record $4.3 billion penalty, the AP reports. The federal indictments and plea deal were announced Wednesday by the Justice Department...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.