Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bed Bath & Beyond
Has a Lousy Day
Aug 18, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
Bed Bath & Beyond Has a Lousy Day
Shares sink after major investor proposes selling his entire stake
- The stock market's word of the day: choppy. Major indexes were in the red for much of Thursday before rebounding enough to land in positive territory. Barely. The Dow rose 18 points to 33,999, the S&P 500 ticked up 9 points to 4,283, and the Nasdaq...
Target Drops After Reporting
Almost 90% Plunge in Profits
Aug 17, 2022 3:37 PM CDT
Target Drops After Reporting Almost 90% Plunge in Profits
S&P 500's gains for the week wiped out
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Wednesday, led by drops in big technology companies and erasing the S&P 500's gains for the week. The S&P 500 fell 31.16 points, or 0.7%, to 4.274.14. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 171.69 points, or...
Walmart, Home Depot Rise
After Reporting Strong Results
Aug 16, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Walmart, Home Depot Rise After Reporting Strong Results
Retail giants helped lift Dow 240 points
- Stocks ended mostly higher on Wall Street Tuesday after another bumpy day as investors cautiously reviewed mostly encouraging financial results from major retailers. The S&P 500 rose 8.06 points, or 0.2%, to 4,305.20. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 239.57 points, or 0.7%,...
Oil Prices Drop
Amid Worries About
Aug 15, 2022 3:44 PM CDT
Oil Prices Drop Amid Worries About Global Economy
Brent crude hits lowest price since before Russia invaded Ukraine
- Oil prices dropped sharply Monday on worries about the global economy, but stocks recovered from early losses and ended higher on Wall Street., extending last week's gains. Investors remain focused on the economy and upcoming reports from retailers this week, the AP reports.The S&P 500 rose 16....
Wall Street Has a 4-Week
Aug 12, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Wall Street Has a 4-Week Winning Streak
Dow surges more than 400 points on the day
- Stocks rose broadly in afternoon trading on Wall Street Friday and added to weekly gains for the major indexes. The Dow rose 424 points, or 1.2%, to 33,761; the S&P 500 rose 72 points, or 1.7%, to 4,280; and the Nasdaq rose 267 points, or...
Stock Market Not Quite
Ready for Sustained Rally
Aug 11, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Stock Market Not Quite Ready for Sustained Rally
Indexes end flat after Wednesday's big gains
- The stock market appeared poised through much of trading Thursday to post a second consecutive day of strong gains. But when the closing bell rang, major indexes were in "meh" territory. The Dow ticked up 27 points to 33,336, the S&P 500 fell 2 points to 4,...
Wall Street Roars
After Inflation Cools
More Than Expected
Aug 10, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Wall Street Roars After Inflation Cools More Than Expected
Major indexes hit 3-month highs
- Stocks closed at three-month highs on Wall Street Wednesday as investors cheered a report showing inflation cooled more than expected in July. The S&P 500 jumped 2.1% to 4,210.24 Wednesday on expectations that slower inflation will mean the Federal Reserve won’t hike interest rates as...
Cruise Line Was
S&P 500's Biggest Loser
Aug 9, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Cruise Line Was S&P 500's Biggest Loser
Tech, travel stocks dragged indexes down
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Tuesday as disappointing earnings reports weighed on technology and travel companies. The S&P 500 fell 17.59 points, or 0.4%, to 4,122.47. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 58.13 points, or 0.2%, to 32,774.41. The Nasdaq...
Clean Energy Firms Rise
After Senate Passes Package
Aug 8, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
Clean Energy Firms Rise After Senate Passes Package
Indexes were flat ahead of busy week
- Stocks closed flat on Wall Street Monday as investors prepared for a busy week of updates on inflation. The S&P 500 fell 5.13 points, or 0.1%, to 4,140.06. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 29.07 points, or 0.1%, to 32,832.54. The...
After Booming Jobs Report,
Market Is Flat
Aug 5, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
After Booming Jobs Report, Market Is Flat
Dow ticks up and S&P ticks down
- A jobs report that came in much stronger than expected had the potential to roil the stock market Friday. Instead, major indexes ended up relatively flat. The Dow rose 76 points to 32,803, the S&P 500 slipped 6 points to 4,145, and the Nasdaq fell 63 points...
For Wall Street, It's
a 'Wait-and-See' Day
Aug 4, 2022 3:23 PM CDT
For Wall Street, It's a 'Wait-and-See' Day
Markets largely flat as investors await unemployment report
- It was a mixed day on Wall Street Thursday, with the major indexes not making big moves in either direction. The Dow fell 85 points to 32,726, the S&P slipped 3 points to 4,151, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq rose 52 points to 12,720. All three changes...
Stocks Rise Amid Signs
Economy Is 'Hanging in There'
Aug 3, 2022 3:44 PM CDT
Stocks Rise Amid Signs Economy Is 'Hanging in There'
Robinhood jumps 11.7% after announcing job cuts
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Wednesday, more than making up for losses earlier in the week, as investors reviewed a mostly encouraging batch of earnings from big companies. The S&P 500 rose 63.98 points, or 1.6%, to 4,155.17, an almost 2-month high. The Nasdaq...
Dow Drops 402 Points
After Weak Caterpillar Results
Aug 2, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Dow Drops 402 Points After Weak Caterpillar Results
Uber surged almost 19%
- Stocks closed lower Tuesday as Wall Street’s modest August retreat continued another day. Stocks wavered over the day, with investors unsure whether the market’s strong run in July was the start of a turnaround or a temporary blip, the AP reports. The S&P 500 fell 27.44,...
Energy Stocks Hit as
Oil Price Falls Almost 5%
Aug 1, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
Energy Stocks Hit as Oil Price Falls Almost 5%
Investors are 'cautious' ahead of a big week of earnings reports
- Stocks on Wall Street gave up early gains and closed slightly lower Monday as investors began another busy week of company earnings and economic reports. The S&P 500 gave up an early gain and fell 11.66 points, or 0.3%, to 4,118.63. The Dow Jones Industrial...
Benchmark S&P Has
Best July Since 1939
Jul 29, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
Benchmark S&P Has Best July Since 1939
And the Dow has its best month of the year
- The stock market is done for July, and all the major indexes posted their best months of the year. For the day, the Dow rose 315 points, or nearly 1%, to 32,845; the S&P 500 rose 57 points, or 1.4%, to 4,130; and the Nasdaq rose...
Investors Shrug Off
Jul 28, 2022 3:41 PM CDT
Investors Shrug Off Recession Worries
Markets rise again after GDP shows another quarterly retraction
- Newly released GDP figures suggesting the economy is on the brink of a recession didn't result in a bleak day on Wall Street. In fact, markets had a decent day, with the Dow up 332 points to 32,529, the S&P 500 up 48 points to 4,072,...
Stocks Surge After
Fed Rate Hike
Jul 27, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
Stocks Surge After Fed Rate Hike
Nasdaq index had its best day in more than 2 years
- Stocks on Wall Street closed solidly higher Wednesday after the Federal Reserve ratcheted up its campaign against surging inflation by raising its key interest rate three-quarters of a point. The Fed’s latest hike lifts the benchmark short-term rate to its highest level since 2018. The S&P 500 rose...
Markets Drop After
Grim News From Walmart
Jul 26, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Markets Drop After Grim News From Walmart
Microsoft delivers disappointing results
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Tuesday after Walmart warned that inflation is negatively impacting American consumers’ spending power. The S&P 500 fell 45.79 points, or 1.2%, to 3,921.05 The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 228.50 points, or 0.7%, to 31,761.54....
Investors Are Braced for
Fed Meeting, Tech Earnings
Jul 25, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Investors Are Braced for Fed Meeting, Tech Earnings
WWE jumps 8.4% after McMahon retirement
- Stocks closed mixed on Monday as investors braced for a two-day meeting of the Federal Reserve this week. The nation’s central bank is expected to raise interest rates sharply to combat inflation. The S&P 500 index and Dow Jones Industrial Average rose slightly, led by energy, utilities, and...
It's a Losing Day,
but a Winning Week
Jul 22, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
It's a Losing Day, but a Winning Week
Snap losses put a damper on Wall Street's streak
- The stock market fell on Friday, but not enough to wipe out the gains of a strong week. The Dow dropped 136 points, or 0.4%, to 31,900; the S&P 500 fell 37 points, or 0.9%, to 3,961; and the Nasdaq fell 235 points, or 1....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Defeated Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
FBI Report Details Angelina Jolie's 2016 Plane Ride With Brad Pitt
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.