Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Booming Jobs Report
Puts a Damper on Wall Street
Feb 3, 2023 3:15 PM CST
Booming Jobs Report Puts a Damper on Wall Street
Good news was bad news in this case
- Wall Street's rally hit a wall Friday after a surprisingly strong jobs report fueled worries about inflation and higher interest rates. All three major indexes fell: The Dow lost 127 points, or 0.3%, to 33,926; the S&P 500 lost 43 points, or 1%, to 4,136;...
Tech Surge Leaves S&P
at Highest Mark in Months
Feb 2, 2023 3:19 PM CST
Tech Surge Leaves S&P at Highest Mark in Months
Facebook parent Meta led the charge
- Wall Street rallied again on Thursday, led by excitement around tech stocks and a surge for Facebook’s parent company . The benchmark S&P 500 rose 60 points, or 1.4%, to 4,179, its highest level in five months, per CNBC . The tech-centric Nasdaq fared even better, rising 384...
Stocks Do U-Turn
After Fed Chief Speaks
Feb 1, 2023 4:00 PM CST
Stocks Do U-Turn After Fed Chief Speaks
S&P 500 jumps from 1% loss to 1% gain as Powell sees progress against inflation
- Stocks climbed Wednesday to send Wall Street to its best level since the summer following the latest hike to interest rates by the Federal Reserve, which said it’s finally seeing improvements in inflation. The S&P 500 rallied back from an early 1% loss to finish 1% higher 4,...
on a Strong Note
Jan 31, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Wall Street Ends January on a Strong Note
But McDonald's fell despite strong profits
- Wall Street closed out a strong January with more gains. The S&P 500 rose 58.83 points Tuesday, or 1.5%, to 4,076.60, marking its third winning month in the last four. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 368.95 points, or 1.1%, to 34,086....
Stocks Drop as Investors
Prepare for Fed Decision
Jan 30, 2023 3:56 PM CST
Stocks Drop as Investors Prepare for Fed Decision
Earnings reports, jobs report also due this week
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street ahead of a week full of potentially market-moving events. The S&P 500 fell 52.79 points, or 1.3%, to 4,017.77 Monday as markets prepared for decisions on interest rates around the world and a slew of earnings reports. The Dow...
American Express, Tesla
Give Markets a Boost
Jan 27, 2023 3:17 PM CST
American Express, Tesla Give Markets a Boost
S&P posts third winning week in the last four
- Stocks rose modestly on Friday to finish the week in positive territory. The benchmark S&P 500 rose 10 points, or 0.2%, to 4,070 for its third winning week in the last four. The Dow rose 28 points, or 0.08%, to 33,978, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq...
Wall Street Rises
as Reports Lift Mood
Jan 26, 2023 3:20 PM CST
Wall Street Rises as Reports Lift Mood
Benchmark S&P 500 was up more than 1%
- Stocks moved higher Thursday on Wall Street following reports suggesting the economy and corporate profits may be doing better than expected. The Dow rose 205 points, or 0.6%, to 33,949; the S&P 500 rose 44 points, or 0.9%, to 4,060; and the Nasdaq rose 199...
Indexes Finish Flat in
'Jekyll and Hyde' Market
Jan 25, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Indexes Finish Flat in 'Jekyll and Hyde' Market
Microsoft rebounded from big losses in early trading
- Stocks shook off an early slide and wound up little changed Wednesday as worries about corporate profits weighed on the market. The S&P 500 fell 0.73 points, or less than 0.1%, to 4,016.22. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 9.88 points, or less than...
3M Drops 6.3% After
Disappointing Earnings Report
Jan 24, 2023 3:31 PM CST
3M Drops 6.3% After Disappointing Earnings Report
Indexes drifted between gains, losses
- Stocks ended mixed on Wall Street Tuesday after drifting between gains and losses as more big US companies delivered their earnings reports for the last three months of 2022. Some of them came up short of what investors were expecting, leading to drops in their stock prices, the AP reports....
Markets Rally as
Fed Rate Move
Jan 23, 2023 3:49 PM CST
Markets Rally as Fed Rate Move Approaches
Tech stocks led the way, with Nasdaq up 2%
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street as investors grew more convinced the Federal Reserve will keep downshifting the size of its rate hikes and as several major companies prepared to report their latest results. Tech companies led the way in a broad rally, pushing the Nasdaq composite up 223.98...
Market Rallies After Comments
Jan 20, 2023 4:04 PM CST
Market Rallies After Comments
Fed governor says he wants just quarter-point increase in interest rates
- A rough week on Wall Street dominated by worries about a weakening economy ended Friday with a broad rally that gave the market its best day in two weeks. The Dow rose 330.93 points, or 1%, to 33,375.49; the S&P 500 climbed 73.76 points, or...
No Relief: Stocks
Lose More Ground
Jan 19, 2023 3:13 PM CST
No Relief: Stocks Lose More Ground
Dow falls another 252 points
- Stocks lost ground again on Thursday as worries build that the US may be headed for a painful recession. The Dow fell 252 points to 33,044, the S&P 500 fell 30 points to 3,898, and the Nasdaq fell 104 points to 10,852. All of the losses...
Wall Street Just Had Its
Biggest Pullback of the Year
Jan 18, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Wall Street Just Had Its Biggest Pullback of the Year
Dow fell 614 points
- Wall Street had its biggest pullback of the year Wednesday as a January market rally sputtered. Technology stocks led the way lower, including a 1.9% drop in Microsoft after the tech titan joined others in its industry in announcing layoffs . Weak readings on retail sales and industrial production also...
Goldman Sachs Reports
66% Fall in Profit
Jan 17, 2023 3:49 PM CST
Goldman Sachs Reports 66% Fall in Profit
Dow drops 392 points
- Major US indexes closed mixed on Wall Street at the beginning of a holiday-shortened, but earnings-heavy week. The S&P 500 fell 8.12 points, or 0.2%, to 3,990.97. The Nasdaq rose 15.96 points, or 0.1%, to 11,095.11. The Dow Jones Industrial Average...
Stocks Climb as Banks
File First Earnings Reports
Jan 13, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Stocks Climb as Banks File First Earnings Reports
S&P 500 has its best week in two months
- Stocks closed higher Friday on Wall Street as earnings reporting season got underway and CEOs began to show how well or poorly they're navigating high inflation and a slowing economy. The S&P 500 rose 15.92 points, or 0.4%, to 3,999.090, after erasing an earlier...
Inflation Numbers Put
Market in a Better Mood
Jan 12, 2023 3:14 PM CST
Inflation Numbers Put Market in a Better Mood
Dow rises more than 200 points
- Wall Street closed modestly higher Thursday after a report showed inflation slowed again last month, bolstering hopes the Federal Reserve may take it easier on the economy through smaller hikes to interest rates. The Dow rose 216 points, or 0.6%, to 34,189; the S&P 500 ticked up...
Markets Rally Ahead of
Key Report on Inflation
Jan 11, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Markets Rally Ahead of Key Report on Inflation
Optimism has caused 'mini-rebound'
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street as investors made their final moves ahead of a highly anticipated report on inflation. The S&P 500 rose 1.3% Wednesday, its second straight gain before Thursday morning's inflation data. Economists expect the report to show that inflation continued to cool last...
Stocks Edge Higher as
Inflation Report Looms
Jan 10, 2023 3:46 PM CST
Stocks Edge Higher as Inflation Report Looms
Fed chair didn't offer any clues in Stockholm remarks
- Stocks ticked higher in quiet trading on Wall Street Tuesday, ahead of some potentially market-moving reports scheduled for later in the week. The S&P 500 rose 27.16 points, or 0.7%, to 3,919.25 after drifting between small gains and losses through the day. The Dow Jones...
Macy's, Lululemon Fall
After Cautious Forecasts
Jan 9, 2023 3:46 PM CST
Macy's, Lululemon Fall After Cautious Forecasts
Markets gave up early gains Monday
- Stocks gave up early gains and drifted to a mixed close on Wall Street. Weakness in health care companies worsened throughout the day. Stocks are coming off their first weekly gain in five on hopes the Federal Reserve may ease up on its economy-shaking hikes to interest rates as inflation...
Dow Surges After
Hints About Inflation's Path
Jan 6, 2023 3:10 PM CST
Dow Surges After Hints About Inflation's Path
All the major indexes rise more than 2%
- Wall Street rallied Friday amid hopes that inflation will continue to cool. All the major indexes rose more than 2% for the day and between 1% and 2% for the week, per CNBC . The Dow rose 699 points on Friday, or 2.1%, to 33,629; the benchmark S&P...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.